BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> US Hot 100 - 10/25/2014, 6th week at #1 for 'All About That Bass' ...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brer
post 16th October 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #21
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(britster @ Oct 16 2014, 05:27 PM) *
I hope not.

Do you know how boring the chart would be if they did?

I mean, the chart is slow enough as it is.

The instant grats that would be ineligible in the UK invariably only spend one week on the Hot 100 anyway (e.g. Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line's one-week entries the last few weeks and 5 Seconds Of Summer's a bit before that), it'll make little difference.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
britster
post 16th October 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 407

QUOTE({ bré } @ Oct 16 2014, 06:02 PM) *
The instant grats that would be ineligible in the UK invariably only spend one week on the Hot 100 anyway (e.g. Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line's one-week entries the last few weeks and 5 Seconds Of Summer's a bit before that), it'll make little difference.

But it will impact the chart for the reasons mentioned in my previous 2 posts.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th October 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #23
Group icon

QUOTE(britster @ Oct 16 2014, 06:06 PM) *
But it will impact the chart for the reasons mentioned in my previous 2 posts.

Arguably people pre-ordering an album shouldn't count as a single sale anyway (and it certainly shouldn't count as several single sales over several weeks, one thing the UK chart has got right and I'm glad that Billboard are going to ban these songs as well now (well, not that it was their decision but still)). Individual track purchases are still going to count as it plainly says in that article.

+Quote this post
britster
post 16th October 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think iTunes have the most to lose.

More pre-order albums will have no/less instant grats.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th October 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #25
Group icon

The purpose of instant grats is to get more people to pre-order the album surely. They're not gonna stop doing that just because they'll lose the opportunity to gain a handful of one-week wonders that no one actually bought for the song.

+Quote this post
britster
post 16th October 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE({ bré } @ Oct 16 2014, 06:24 PM) *
The purpose of instant grats is to get more people to pre-order the album surely. They're not gonna stop doing that just because they'll lose the opportunity to gain a handful of one-week wonders that no one actually bought for the song.

Ella Henderson's "Glow" was only available as a single and not an instant grat because she wanted it to be chart eligible, Same with Cheryl's next single.

So these changes will (in time) affect the number of instant grats a record company allows if they want certain songs to do well.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 16th October 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

QUOTE({ bré } @ Oct 16 2014, 06:24 PM) *

It's going to be interesting to see what Taylor's "UK strategy" is for her instant grats as it seems her label don't want to lose that opportunity.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th October 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #28
Group icon

QUOTE(britster @ Oct 16 2014, 06:33 PM) *
Ella Henderson's "Glow" was only available as a single and not an instant grat because she wanted it to be chart eligible, Same with Cheryl's next single.

So these changes will (in time) affect the number of instant grats a record company allows if they want certain songs to do well.

That's because 'Glow' was actually a single. The vast majority of ineligible / would-be ineligible instant grats are not.

+Quote this post
britster
post 16th October 2014, 05:55 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

'Shake It Off' looked like it was going to return to #1 next week (it was very close this week), but without the instant grat sales, it's digital tally is going to be lower than it would have been, so Meghan should remain at #1 for some time.

EDIT: Actually, it may have already happened and be evident in this current chart, so Taylor may have been denied returning to #1 THIS week ohmy.gif

I wonder ...

+Quote this post
Brer
post 16th October 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #30
Group icon

Surely it is a good thing if a song is denied a #1 it would only have got because of people pre-ordering an album though...

In any case the Florida Georgia Line instant grat in this chart indicates the change hadn't happened yet.

+Quote this post
GTH
post 16th October 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Gareth T H
User: 10,597

QUOTE(britster @ Oct 16 2014, 05:42 PM) *
It's actually worse than the UK because if (for example) a new Britney album appeared today on iTunes for pre-order with an instant grat, and her fans rushed out and pre-ordered the album, none of those sales will count to the Hot 100. Only those who buy the track on its own will count.

But surely that is a better show of what singles are doing well? I get that you are buying the album at least in part because of the single but it is still just one purchase which goes to the album. I find it a bit cheeky where you will get artists who will do say 5 instant grats on the album, which very few people are actually invested in all of them, but they are charting high because of the album preorders.

I think that is how it should be in the UK as well where individual single downloads of instant grats count but not the pre-orders. They shouldn't be completely taken out if people are actually buying them as they would a single or individual album track.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 16th October 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

QUOTE({ bré } @ Oct 16 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Surely it is a good thing if a song is denied a #1 it would only have got because of people pre-ordering an album though...

In any case the Florida Georgia Line instant grat in this chart indicates the change hadn't happened yet.

Yes, a deposit on an album is an album sale not a single sale, it's not both. In pre-download days you could buy a single, and an album, but you didn't get cash off for buying the single ahead of release, you paid for both. Acts that gave fans bonus B Side tracks had an incentive to be purchased, those that stuck an instrumental version or an album track on the B side didn't get extra singles sales once someone had the album..

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 16th October 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

QUOTE({ bré } @ Oct 15 2014, 09:33 PM) *
Relevant:

New Soulja Boy perhaps but 'Hot Nigga' is a million times better than anything Soulja Boy ever released. Mostly down to the instrumental which is copied entirely from another song

And so is this which I hope can give him a second hit (probably won't tho as he does have strong one hit wonder vibes):

ALSO, his upcoming EP is called 'Shmurda She Wrote' so that's quite amaze.

I think Bobby Shmurda most likely chance at another chart hit is with Computers, since I've heard it a couple of times (never heard anything else by him that I know of). I wouldn't be surprised if he was a one-hit wonder though, it seems like the song is bigger than him as an artist, but in hip hop there are so many collaborations and remixes and sampling and that kind of thing that he could end up on another hit eventually.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:00 AM