BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Rate 2019 - The Results!, 20th Dec: Runner up and WINNER announced!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post Nov 16 2019, 01:29 PM
Post #201
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Nov 16 2019, 12:21 PM) *
Or maaaybeeeee (no pun intended) I turn to you is actually also a brilliant slice of 2000's pop with a great video of it's own, which appeals to just as many people if not more than Maybe?

I prefer ITTY over Maybe and that's got nothing to do with Melanie C being a "proper artist" I just think it's alot catchier, Mel's voice sounds fantastic on it, and it makes me want to get up and dance and sing along at the top of my voice everytime I hear it... It's easily in my top 5 solo releases (alongside WTYSL, Mi Chico Latino, NBTSA and WYG).

I also love how something can sounds 60's and be brilliant for it, yet something sounds 2000's and it's decent but dated... unsure.gif wacko.gif

Because the intention was to make something sound 60s, taking the best elements from that period and adding a modern twist.

ITTY was made to sound current and on trend in 2000, which now sounds dated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 16 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #202
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I love both Maybe and I Turn to You 💃🏻💃🏻

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Nov 16 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #203
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Nov 16 2019, 12:21 PM) *
Or maaaybeeeee (no pun intended) I turn to you is actually also a brilliant slice of 2000's pop with a great video of it's own, which appeals to just as many people if not more than Maybe?

I prefer ITTY over Maybe and that's got nothing to do with Melanie C being a "proper artist" I just think it's alot catchier, Mel's voice sounds fantastic on it, and it makes me want to get up and dance and sing along at the top of my voice everytime I hear it... It's easily in my top 5 solo releases (alongside WTYSL, Mi Chico Latino, NBTSA and WYG).

I also love how something can sounds 60's and be brilliant for it, yet something sounds 2000's and it's decent but dated... unsure.gif wacko.gif

What I mean about it sounding dated is that Maybe still sounds like it could be released today and still sound fresh. Whilst I doubt I Turn To You as it stands could. In fact, we just saw that with High Hells, which sounds like an updated version of that sound anyway (and personally sonically, I find it better if not lyrically, ah).

Put it this way: both Emma and Mel C's discogaphies are FILLED TO THE BRIM with sounds that are very much stuck in the past, that havent evolved much at all. Some of their outputs already sounded dated by the time they were released (Carolyna, I Want Candy, Understand, Downtown, Baby Please Don't Stop, etc). Some of their outputs sound fresh (Maybe, Anymore, Too Many Teardrops and High Heels, for instance).

Hope that has helped clear up the idea of what 'dated' might mean. It's very different from 'I like it' or 'I dont like it'...

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 16 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #204
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Yes but when you say it’s overrated because it sounds dated that very much puts it in a position of I dislike it because it sounds dated...

I think a good song always sounds good despite whether it sounds fresh or of the time. Don’t you want me by human league sounds so 80’s it’s painful but it’s still a fantastic song. A heck of a lot of Madonna’s 80s and 90s stuff sounds of the time but they are still brilliant. Same for Kylie etc etc.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 16 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #205

"Dated" has such a negative connotation for some reason, I see it thrown around as a criticism quite often - but I think it's part of an old song's charm if it sounds firmly like the era it was created in, that can be very nostalgic. I don't mind whether or not something from certain years holds up in comparison to music production and trends from 2019, because that's not what I'm searching for when playing old music. It's very subjective whether a song is dated or timeless or somewhere in between anyway!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 16 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #206
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Nov 16 2019, 05:33 PM) *
"Dated" has such a negative connotation for some reason, I see it thrown around as a criticism quite often - but I think it's part of an old song's charm if it sounds firmly like the era it was created in, that can be very nostalgic. I don't mind whether or not something from certain years holds up in comparison to music production and trends from 2019, because that's not what I'm searching for when playing old music. It's very subjective whether a song is dated or timeless or somewhere in between anyway!

Jay the voice of reason wub.gif

+Quote Post
southernstar
post Nov 16 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #207
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 41,834
   No Gallery Pics

I'm glad that Maybe and I Turn To You are not in the top 5...they're maybe my least favorite two singles of what I call the Golden Solo Era(1999-2004)…
Instead, Goodbye deserved a better result...

This post has been edited by SouthernStar88: Nov 16 2019, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 27 2019, 01:38 AM
Post #208

9.000 - 06. Say You'll Be There SPICE GIRLS

Landing just outside the top 5 results, with a highly respectable average score of exactly 9, is Say You'll Be There! This is of course the follow up single to the Spice Girls' extraordinarily successful debut hit Wannabe. Some critics dismissed the Spice Girls as likely one-hit-wonders, but Say You'll Be There - a slick pop/r&b infused song - was an instant smash not only in the UK, but worldwide, proving that they meant business and were here to stay!

Released in October 1996, it sold almost 350,000 copies in its first week alone in the UK, which made it the second fastest selling single of 1996 up to that point! It spent two weeks at #1, selling over half a million copies during its reign at the top. It sold over 900,000 copies in 1996, enough to be the 4th best selling single of the year. As of 2018 it had crossed over the million mark (including streaming).

The single achieved top 10 peaks in numerous countries, most notably #3 in the US Billboard Hot 100. Its debut week at #5 made it the highest entry by a British act on the chart, at that time.

Its memorable female-empowerment themed music video was filmed in the in the Mojave Desert, inspired by the films Pulp Fiction and Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!. It went on to win a Brit Award in 1997 for British Video of the Year!

I'm actually quite surprised that this hasn't made the top 5 results! ohmy.gif In these results, BuzzJack prefers four other Spice Girls singles, and a solo release...!

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 27 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #209
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

How did i not recognise how bad the cover is of SYBT until this year?

However the song and video are incredible.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 27 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #210
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

A shame that 'Say You'll Be There' couldn't quite make the top 5! It's my third favourite of theirs after 'Viva Forever' and 'Spice Up Your Life' wub.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Nov 27 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #211
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Say You'll Be There is amazing and the perfect second single. It showed the Spice Girls were not just a one-hit wonder act, but a serious proposition to the pop landscape.

It's cool and edgy and it still sounds quite fresh today, which is niiiiiiice. A classic that deserves way more attention today than it gets!

I always think that if they were to make new music, I wish they would do an album that is somewhere between the lines of Say You'll Be There and Never Give Up On The Good Times. A combination of camp and fun, as well as bringing an RnB edge to it, which they always did so well. An album filled with tracks like those two would be a win win in today's landscape, I think.

Avoid music and style like Wannabe or even Spice Up Your Life, as they are iconic but probably their style and sound doesnt translate well as new music to be released now, I think.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 27 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #212
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Nov 27 2019, 03:22 PM) *
Say You'll Be There is amazing and the perfect second single. It showed the Spice Girls were not just a one-hit wonder act, but a serious proposition to the pop landscape.

It's cool and edgy and it still sounds quite fresh today, which is niiiiiiice. A classic that deserves way more attention today than it gets!

I always think that if they were to make new music, I wish they would do an album that is somewhere between the lines of Say You'll Be There and Never Give Up On The Good Times. A combination of camp and fun, as well as bringing an RnB edge to it, which they always did so well. An album filled with tracks like those two would be a win win in today's landscape, I think.

Avoid music and style like Wannabe or even Spice Up Your Life, as they are iconic but probably their style and sound doesnt translate well as new music to be released now, I think.

Agree with every word wub.gif

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Dec 2 2019, 06:03 PM
Post #213
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

9.042 - 05. Who Do You Think You Are SPICE GIRLS

We are starting the top 5 with Who Do You Think You Are! It was released as a double A-side with Mama on the 3rd of March 1997 and peaked and charted at #1 in the UK Top 40 a week later. It was also the Comic Relief single of 1997, with Kathy Burke, Dawn French, Llewella Gideon, Lulu, and Jennifer Saunders as The Sugar Lumps in a second version of the video.

The girls opened the Brit Awards 1997 performing this song. Geri's outfit was a black coloured mini dress emblazoned with a Union Jack on the front and a white peace symbol on the back, which made the front page of various newspapers, and is now remembered as one of the most iconic symbols of the 90s. 13 years later, at the 2010 BRIT Awards, the group's performance won the Most Memorable Performance award of the BRITS last thirty years.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 2 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #214

One of my favourites, so I'm very pleased to see it in the top 5! wub.gif I enjoy the disco influences... such a bop. heart.gif

That Brits performance never fails to give me chills! Such an iconic moment in music history.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 3 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #215
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Who do you think you are is SUCH a stomper of a song! I adore it!

Ps about bloody time this thread got updated!!!!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 11 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #216

9.093 - 04. Never Be the Same Again MELANIE C

Well done to Melanie C for achieving the highest place solo Spice song in this countdown!

Melanie C launched her solo career in 1999 with the release of her debut album Northern Star (which entered at #10), and two singles (Goin' Down and Northern Star, both #4 hits), but she would go on to achieve greater success in 2000! Never Be the Same Again (a collaboration with the late TLC member Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes) showed another side to the Northern Star album, with its R&B flavour, and it was an instant success in the UK. It debuted at #1 in the singles chart, with first week sales of 145,000 copies. At the time, this made it the fastest selling solo Spice single. As of 2016 it had sold 432,000 copies, and it's certified gold! The success of the single breathed new life into its parent album, which climbed the charts to reach a new peak of #5. Worldwide success followed; it notably reached #1 in the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway and Sweden, as well as #2 in Australia. It remains as one of Melanie C's most successful and beloved hits.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Dec 11 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #217
BuzzJack Gold Member

Not her best single in my opinion but wel done!

#3 will come this weekend, so we have this results done before Christmas

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 11 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #218
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Probably my favourite Melanie C song, it's such an easy listening jam I adored it when it came out and I still adore it all these years later.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Dec 11 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #219
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Her second best single, after Northern Star, but damn it is toooooo high on this rate. It definitely deserved Top15, but not even Top10 in my opinion... Overrated as hell ah...

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Dec 14 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #220
BuzzJack Gold Member

9.389 - 03. Spice Up Your Life SPICE GIRLS

At #3 we have the fantastic and iconic Spice Up Your Life, which was released on the 13th of October 1997 as the lead single from the album Spiceworld. It reached #1 in the UK, which made the Spice Girls the first act to have its first five singles reach #1 in the United Kingdom! It performed almost as well internationally, peaking inside the top five on the majority of the charts.

The music video for Spice Up Your Life was directed on 6 September 1997 by Marcus Nispel in a two-day shoot located in New York City. The video features the group in a futuristic setting, inspired by the 1982 film Blade Runner.

The girls have performed the song on all four of their tours: the Spiceworld Tour, the Christmas in Spiceworld Tour, The Return of the Spice Girls Tour and the Spice World 2019 Tour. It was also part of the iconic medley with Wannabe at the 2012 Olympic Closing Ceremony.

For me this is one of my fave Spice Girls singles and still play it regularly.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM