BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 17th January 2020
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Jan 18 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #1
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Good evening everyone, time to check out our personal top 20 singles again for this week. Is Niall Horan about to make it to a third week at the top with 'Put A Little Love On Me'? Maybe Aussie electropop duo Nervo? Maybe Delta Goodrem? Here's where we find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 17th January 2020
© AM LIMITED 2020

1. (HNE) NERVO FEAT. PLASTIK FUNK & TIM MORRISON - Dare Me
2. (1) NIALL HORAN - Put A Little Love On Me
3. (2) NO ROME FEAT. DIJON - Trust3000
4. (3) CAMILA CABELLO - Easy
5. (7) ENDOR - Pump It Up
6. (NE) DELTA GOODREM - Let It Rain
7. (4) COLDPLAY - Everyday Life
8. (5) RAK-SU - Girl
9. (6) DUA LIPA - Don't Start Now
10. (8) LAUV - Changes

11. (NE) BLOSSOMS - The Keeper
12. (9) UNA HEALY - Wild Grasses
13. (NE) THE WONDERLAND - Almost Never Did
14. (11) ELLIE GOULDING - River
15. (12) NOW UNITED - Legends
16. (10) PEPPA PIG - Bing Bong Zoo
17. (17) ALPHABEAT - Sing A Song
18. (11) MARK RONSON FEAT. YEBBA - Don't Leave Me Lonely
19. (16) THE SCRIPT - Run Through Walls
20. (NE) ALANIS MORISSETTE - Reasons I Drink

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

New number one time, and the tale of a song that's been around in numerous different guises before, but only now comes to top our chart 35 years after it first became a hit. For 1985 was when 'Dare Me' became a hit on both sides of the Atlantic for The Pointer Sisters. Skip forward to 2004, Junior Jack (aka the man who hit the top of our chart with the late Oliver Cheatham as Room 5 on their 2003 hit 'Make Luv') charts at #37 with a song called 'Stupidisco', which heavily samples the track. A re-release in 2007 did little better, only improving by seven places with a #30 entry.

Now, fast forward fifteen years to January 2020, and Australian electropop singer-songwriters and producers Nervo - twin sisters Olivia and Miriam - have taken the track to top of our chart, in collaboration with Plastik Funk and Tim Morrison. Although this is their first time at number one as performers, they have been at the top before. They were largely responsible for writing 'When Love Takes Over', a three week chart topper for David Guetta and Kelly Rowland on our chart in June 2009. They are also the second Australian duo in less than a year to have a number one on my chart, following The Veronicas who hit the top with 'Think of Me' in April last year.

Endor's floorfilling 'Pump It Up' continues to defy logic. Having entered our chart at #9 just before Christmas, it has now staged quite the recovery, and advances a further two places this week to a brand new peak of #5 - far outperforming the top 20 debut of the Danzel original from fifteen years previously.

This week's top 10 has an Antipodean feel in more ways than one, not least because of Nervo at number one, but also because of the record that arrives at #6, albeit under quite sad circumstances. Delta Goodrem notched up the hits in the mid 00s on our chart, including several top 10s with 'Born To Try' and 'Lost Without You' to name but two, following her rise to fame playing Nina Tucker in Aussie soap opera Neighbours.

However, despite maintaining a prosperous career down under, she's not had a single enter my personal chart since 'Out of the Blue' made #7 in October 2004. That all changes this week with new single 'Let It Rain', a brand new song that she has written and performed for the fundraising effort towards the recent devastating bushfires in Australia that have ravaged the country for several weeks.

Dropping down into the top 20 now, and a welcome back to Stockport based rock band Blossoms, who just miss out on landing inside the top 10 with their brand new single 'The Keeper'. It does however beat the #15 peak of their previous biggest hit, 'There's A Reason Why (I Never Returned Your Calls)' from June 2018.

New boyband with guitars The Wonderland made a creditable debut at #7 in November last year with first single 'Only One', but the stars of the hit TV show Almost Never aren't able to repeat that success for the show's theme tune 'Almost Never Did', which now appears as their second single but can only make do with a #13 debut. Clearly a S Club 7 type crossover is beyond them for now.

Finally, one of the 90s most prodigious singer-songwriters, Alanis Morissette grabs her first top 20 hit in fifteen years this week. 'Reasons I Drink' enters at #20, her highest charting single since 'Everything' got as high as #18 in May 2004. Her biggest single on our chart to date remains 'Hands Clean', which reached #9 in March 2002. The single is the first from her new album 'Such Pretty Forks In The Road', set for release this spring, and a jukebox musical based on her multi million selling album 'Jagged Little Pill' is currently on limited run on Broadway.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2004: Kelis sees off the challenge of Rachel Stevens in an all-new top 3, including classic hits from Boogie Pimps and Outkast

1. (HNE) KELIS - Milkshake

2. (NE) RACHEL STEVENS - Funky Dory
3. (NE) BOOGIE PIMPS - Somebody To Love
4. (1) MICHAEL ANDREWS AND GARY JULES - Mad World
5. (6) OUTKAST - Hey Ya!
6. (5) KATIE MELUA - The Closest Thing To Crazy
7. (2) VICTORIA BECKHAM - This Groove / Let Your Head Go
8. (NE) SEAN PAUL FEAT. SASHA - I'm Still In Love With You
9. (3) WILL YOUNG - Leave Right Now
10. (4) ALISTAIR GRIFFIN - Bring It On / My Lover's Prayer

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Jan 18 2020, 07:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 PM