BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Lobster
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post 15th October 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
Pronouns: he/him
User: 8,674

Receiving a limited release from tomorrow, Colin Farrell plays a man who has 45 days to find a partner or faces being turned into an animal.

The premise sounds odd but interesting, the trailer teases just enough without giving too much away. Very intrigued, probably my top priority to see over the coming week biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 20th October 2015, 05:52 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

Well that was... surreal.

Imagine someone on a lot of drugs trying to explain the plot of 'Never Let Me Go' and you're pretty much there.

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 3rd January 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Did anyone else watch this? A friend of mine says it was excellent and I'm debating whether to pre-order the blu ray or not. The trailer above makes it look absolutely excellent!

This post has been edited by dandy*: 3rd January 2016, 07:46 PM

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 16th February 2016, 09:48 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

So I watched this on Valentines Day(!) and I thought it was fantastic. I knew I was going to love it, reminded me of a Wes Anderson film with it's rather bonkers plot played out without a grin or smirk from the actors.

The first half was probably a bit better than the second half but I loved the random animals that appeared throughout - the way a camel would walk past idly in the background of a serious shot!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post 11th June 2016, 10:24 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742

"The Lobster" is an allegorical romance story that was released in the dark halls of my country over seven months ago. "The Lobster" had a lot of hype one year ago because it won the Jury Prize at the 68th Cannes Film Festival! It is the English-speaking film debut of Greek director, Yorgos Lanthimos, who had great artistic sense with Dogtooth six years ago! In his latest film, he gathered famous and renowned actors, giving them the opportunity to participate in a very special cinematic work.
"The Lobster" takes place in a future society where lonely people are driven to a hotel in order to find their match in 45 days. If they fail, they will transform to an animal of their choice and they will end up into the Forest. The main character of the story is the recently divorced, David, who escapes from the Hotel and hides in the Forest, convinced that it would be better there. However, he will realize very quickly that things are not as he initially thought, as there are some rules that are against human freedom in there too. "The Lobster" is an original story that speaks to us about love and loneliness experienced by people either living it deliberately or not. Lanthimos along with Efthymis Philippou wrote the particular story after several reflections and discussions, among them being things about humans, lifestyle, behavior and relationships. They aptly used the specific script idea to confuse their audience through their special view. "The Lobster" had interesting directing, elaborate editing and sympathetic interpretations. However, I believe that the essence prevailed over the image, which is rarely seen in English-speaking movies these days. Moreover, the two creators added some funny scenes but also some comic dialogues in order not to create an unbearable atmosphere in the movie theater. Despite this, I felt that the atmosphere fell considerably in the last half hour when it should not have happened. The peak always comes at the ending. Apart that does not clarify what exactly happens in the final scene, leaving the viewers with unanswered questions. Apparently both writers wanted to divide their audience by keeping an impartial attitude for the finale of the movie, but why should this have happened? From the moment you begin to write a script, I imagine that you want to end up somewhere specific.
"The Lobster" is based on a very interesting script idea that will cause great impression on viewers and will certainly divide the audience. Besides, this is the aim of art, right? It has received very positive comments from connoisseurs of cinematic space all over the world and it has assembled a decent rating from users of IMDb (7,2). However, some of our local viewers were furious at movie sites. To be honest, though, I did not go crazy with the evolution of the story, but nonetheless I rewarded the effort of the Greek director, which was quite different from the other movies that I saw last year. Rather than seeing the same characters/heroes each time, it is better to watch something alternative on the big screen.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st February 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Just watched this last night after seeing it got an Original Screenplay nomination and deservedly so, the script was the perfect blend of dark humour and social commentary. The first film was definitely my favourite, the whole idea of it was hilarious and there so many great moments (I died when Farrell kicked that girl in the leg and deadpan delivered a line saying don't be sad, now you can be like your father!!! laugh.gif) and I loved the idea of the different characters that he would get to know during his stay. It also had a lot of horrific moments that really stick with you such as the dog and the lady on the balcony. I liked the idea of Rachel Weisz doing the narration to so you had already warmed to her by the time her character was introduced and Colin Farrell did a great job in his role too, a shame he is so underrated. I also loved the open-ended finish to the film, I'm not sure whether he did it and that's why it cut to black, didn't do it but lied to her much like the limping man and his nosebleeds or if the waves at the end were a hint to him ending up as a lobster too. Very thought-provoking and a film that I'll remember for a long time I think!

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st February 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I saw this a few months ago, really didn't get it unsure.gif Some of it was quite amusing, but I don't really like all the sexual activity in it, even with the dead-pan narration. They definitely dragged out the forest part too much though, and the ending was really weird laugh.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 06:23 PM