BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
27 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Séyetana National Thread, shadow
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 22nd January 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #401
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

So I still have the T countries and the leftovers at the end but that shouldn't be too much trouble to do early next week. Also I was going to do my top 20 entries at the end of all this so I'll just do that quickly now so that the context I was putting with this entry works.

1. Lotunia - Agy - Arvedavgi
2. Aeroche - Merely - Backdraft
Land Of DW - Kagura - Sui-Ren
3. Quintessa - Driftmoon - Genesis
4. Persephonia - End Of The Dream - Colder
5. South Danaelanda - Gareth Emery - Saving Light
6. Land Of DW - Apocalyptica - Faraway Vol 2
7. Summericia - Dark Sarah - Dance With The Dragon
8. Rolloland - Anathema - Untouchable
9. #00274E - Pogo - Data & Picard
10. Quintessa - Norda & Mike De Ville - Gypsy (Catch Me If You Can)
11. Land Of DW - Eivor - I Tokuni
12. Alteria - Fjokra - Sick Kids
13. Fljótavík - Wealstarr - Feria Festival
14. Harmonica - Hollyn - Alone
15. Aelandor - Billy Lockett - Old Man
16. Dobago - Sagi Abitbul - Mariko
17. FSR Rontvia - Kosmonova - Dance Avec Moi!
18. Trifoski - Battles - Atlas
19. Alteria - Confidence Man - Bubblegum
20. Azure - Thomas Stenström - Så Så Så Säg

Team Rockit - Jungfru

So as you can see, I LOVED Backdraft almost to best of the year levels and it took me back to loving Aura and that still being one of the entries I play the most from my first couple of years in BJSC, so that got me wondering if Team Rockit ever did anything else or had new songs. And they did! I was doing this all in India when I thought music discovery was limited so I was careful, but Jungfru stood out from their new repertoire instantly - what with its beautiful melody and pumping chorus. It's both quite the departure from what I normally enter and reflective of the stuff I normally vote for, this is the type of pop I love (although is it pop? mixed with some Swedish rap too). Anyway, hope you all ENJOY in this first entry of the year from me.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Leonardo
post 22nd January 2018, 01:01 AM
Post #402
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,502

Wow! Glad you enjoyed my entries last year, glad to have made an impact. *.*

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd January 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #403
Group icon

Taahino
It wasn't quite the flood of points that I've given to Taahino as before this year and I'm not sure whether that's me moving a bit away from female rock or Taahino moving a bit towards pop, probably a little bit of both. The best two were the rather Tonight Alive-esque Alive and the band themself with Temple, which means I still have a lot of love for that sort of sound, although neither blew me away in the way that say, Beautiful Bodies, did. But then the next one is Lao Ra, a singer who is decidedly not rock but has a way of making very catchy songs anyway, I am interested in her career. And SAINTE was a fun song, as were Greywind, VERIDIA and GJan, although those tended towards getting low points or just missing out rather than unrequited love. SEVDALIZA wasn't for me but that's fine to go searching for a new audience if I've become a lot more fickle these days tongue.gif

Tigress - Alive > Tonight Alive - Temple > Lao Ra - Body Bounce > SAINTE - With Or Without Me > Greywind - Circle > VERIDIA - Still Breathing > GJan - Wasn't Easy > K.Flay - High Enough > VUKOVI > SEVDALIZA

Tartford
Have long suffering Tartford finally given up on us? One of the most notable absences in 100, although with only one qualifier this year, it's not exactly surprising. That and Sweet California were however the only real entries that stuck with me, stuff like Hyper Go-Go was not my thing at all.

Crystal Castles - Concrete > Sweet California - Tears On My Pillow > Marsheaux > Le Youth > Lisa > Girly > Razz > Hyper Go-Go

Terra Avium
Mostly rather good as always, I do wish Pariah had been in another contest so both it and Gypsy could have won, that was one of the best top 2s in BJSC for a long time. Felicita was that very pleasingly weird track what with its grindy instrumental and yelling voices, beautiful, Gjallarhorn was a great use of an AQ and The Drums And Bass Of Flower Bless was a track that I wish I'd had more time to listen to in its contest, that title is kind of brilliant, and the song one of the better DnB tracks in the contest lately (what with it sampling UNOwen Was Her and all. Africa was brilliant as always and though it took me until I watched Hated In The Nation to fully appreciate Fall Into Me it sounds absolutely brilliant now. A solid top 6 then, and the others aren't too bad, although I couldn't get into Cusco or Stellar Dreams particularly. COTY CONTENDER

Steven Wilson - Pariah (feat. Ninet Tayeb) > felicita - a new family > Gjallarhorn - Konungen Och Trollkvinnan > Ravel Nightstar - The Drums And Bass Of Flower Bless > Marcus Warner - Africa > Alev Lenz - Fall Into Me > Varien - Lilith > Conner Youngblood - The Warpath > Cusco > Stellar Dreams

Thelonia
How BOING failed to qualify in the first place is a real mystery to me, that was one of the instant standouts in 99. And Thelonia have had a few other really good songs that didn't make it through, although this is more in the fresh rock section and Georgia and Lupa were real head bangers (not too dissimilar from the Rejects winner actually). The rest wasn't my thing although at least you've improved from the Thelonia at the beginning of this year, IV Rox was the sort of thing I absolutely despise biggrin.gif

MC BOING - Dance Floor > Georgia - Feel It > Lupa - Circus Game > Antony & Cleopatra > Bonzai > Toddla T > Salen > IV Rox

Tinnmark
Okay, there were two absolutely awful Tinnmark entries, Christopher and Sophie Elise, and both of those managed to qualify. But otherwise, the Tinnmark tendency to head to trashy male dance this year has been that sort of music I've considered wryly acceptable, so here and there it's been Good For You (i'm sorry, but that one does kind of represent it, I like it, but it's quite generic). The most glorious of those was of course Vigiland, which trashed all expectations to do actually quite well in its contest, and Tungevaag & Raaban was also one of the good ones. Like That I felt quite an affinity with despite it not being all that good, so it can get to the middle of my rank. Witness was really different from the rest of this lineup though and was quite the journey so I'm ranking that as my favourite here.

Mikhail Paskelev - Witness > Vigiland - Friday Night > The Union - No Good For You > Tungevaag & Raaban - Coming Up > Rytemyklubben > Emilie Nicolas > EIRIK > Unge Ferrari > Sophie Elise > Christopher

Triangledonia
Wasn't it so brilliantly fitting for Triangledonia to get one of their beautiful dance instrumentals into the 100 final, and from the guy who started it all no less. LarsM has always been better than most people here give him credit for and Harvalien was his best yet, a really compelling instrumental that I'm sure I played as I skidded over the Indian landscapes many a time. Zeitmaschine was similarly good, both of those deserved far better than the bottom end of their finals. Triangledonia are generally a rather high quality country for me, there's only one here I wasn't so keen on and it wasn't We Are Balloons, that was a bit inept but sweet at the same time so I actually like it, no joke.

LarsM - Harvalien > Rob & Chris - Zeitmaschine > Lynz Munich - We Are Balloons > LEVV

Trifoski
Best country ever amirite?

Well of course, yet again it was a very stellar year for Trifoski, they are probably third behind Quintessa and just ahead of Persephonia in my unofficial ranking of 2017 countries. There weren't as many huge standouts as either Quintessa or Land Of DW but Seven's made up for it in consistency. I wouldn't throw any of these out of bed and Amnesia Scanner is only last because it was a little repetitive. Not Enough was a huge tune from LIDO and up from there it's bliss. PWR BTTM may have been the most unforunate AQ ever but was a really good rock song, the controversy about the band that surfaced notwithstanding. Hurricane was a pretty wonderful (and unexpected!) winner as well, that's been proven great by so many accolades. But there's two entries that I think are better than it, the very Muse-esque Battles with their Atlas that attracted my 18, and a band that I've had on the edge of my radar for a while in Pepe Deluxe who provided a tune with a load of replayability with A Night And A Day. Keep that up for 2018!

Battles - Atlas > Pepe Deluxe - A Night And A Day > Drones Club - Hurricane > PWR BTTM - Answer My Text > LIDO - Not Enough > Paradis - Toi Et Moi > Guerilla Toss - Skull Pop > Superorganism > Amnesia Scanner

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 23rd January 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #404
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Beaverdonia
I don't know whether it's something in the dam water, but Beaverdonia can so often be utterly horrendous. Ina Wroldsen, Touch Sensitive and especially DYU I never want to listen to again. Activewear was kind of fun but at least Meekul has redeemed himself with two slight risks, Yakety Yak, well, I always appreciate swing and trumpets and I got a lot of use from that song, while Waiting was really quite glorious and a good sendoff for the 100 contest.

The Drapers - Yakety Yak > BETSY - Waiting > Van Vuuren Bros > Digitalism > Nikola Rachelle > Ina Wroldsen > Touch Sensitive > Dominique Young Unique

How DARE YOUUU!!!!!!

But YASSS love for Nikola!! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 23rd January 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #405
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Thanks for the kind words, I'm particularly glad someone else appreciated Gjallarhorn, I was so lucky that that just about AQ'd *. I recall you gave Stellar Dreams 3 points though, I assume that wasn't a particularly good contest? kink.gif

I've not been as on board with Seyetana as last year (well, 2016) but I still play SIAMES, Nanobii & Epica a lot <3 (such a mainstreamer x)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 23rd January 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #406
Group icon

BJSC 96 was a little bit weak around beyond the top end of my votes, yeah. I do remember being Stellar Dreams a little below your usual par although it's nice. (I think you'd be 5th btw, with Aeroche 6th, Aelandor 7th, Fljótavík 8th, Azure 9th and Espen 10th and then whatever other countries I've had as COTY contenders just beyond that)

I hope to get you more this year then, I have plans.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 23rd January 2018, 10:27 PM
Post #407
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I'll take unofficial 4th x (and yay for 'Colder' being 4th in that little songs EOY *.*)

That Trifoski rank is so backwards!!! Amnesia Scanner, Guerilla Toss and Paradis were the best 3, I highly resent the implication that that PWR BTTM trash is better than any of those (or really nearly any other song in BJSC the whole year oops) mellow.gif x

+Quote this post
seven.
post 23rd January 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #408
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

thank you Iz for recognising true quality <3 'Atlas' is undoubtedly my personal fave entry this year (had to have been the inspiration behind Uprising one would imagine? smoke.gif)

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 24th January 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #409
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

You just wait till Brer or Lottie see your Beaverdonia shade!!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 24th January 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #410
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

you're gonna highlight Sui-Ren but not the masterpiece that is Feel It Still?

+Quote this post
Jade
post 29th January 2018, 12:14 AM
Post #411
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Arvedávgi is a marvellous EOY #1 choice! I was reminded of its beauty recently when it made it to the TBO semis against the odds, that really was Lotunia's finest moment of 2017 by a clear mile heart.gif and they've killed it in the current contest too *.* as for Séyetana 101, I'm really liking your first offering of the year also. I was hoping to after usually being a fan of 'Aura' / Merely stuff. However, it is not quite as instant as 'Aura', so I hope it will hit enough people who only have one listen of the semi hard enough to qualify. I do think it will be alright though.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 31st January 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #412
Group icon

I HADN'T FORGOTTEN THIS

QUOTE(CodyOfTheWoods @ Jan 24 2018, 07:03 PM) *
you're gonna highlight Sui-Ren but not the masterpiece that is Feel It Still?

because Feel It Still is commercial trash. Really really good commercial trash but it's gone mainstream and I don't do mainstream in BJSC countdowns. Also it cannot hold a candle to Sui-Ren so sit THE f*** back down m8

Ultraviolenceland
I was actually very interested to write this as 2017 was a year where Ultraviolenceland was doing very well and I felt like a real meanie shouting from the sidelines that they didn't deserve all that success. Monopoly was a decent song but I wasn't a fan of how it won, which felt like such a coronation for what was far from the best PC Music track that it soured me on it a little. And then things continued to get even worse with a far inferior Ana Mena to the rather good one you entered in 2016 somehow getting an easy top 10 and the absolutely AWFUL Jaded sailing to victory in 93. The first one I properly liked was the first one to flop, naturally, that being Shotgun, because Rebecca & Fiona are always pretty good value. And then the final top 10s you pulled out of the bag in the last two contests were just as bad as Jaded, I have no idea what was seen in Raincheck, it was pretty basic pop, nothing that suggested a 2nd place to me, and Generous was pretty much everything I dislike in a BJSC hit. However, you pulled it out with one incredible song, I've liked Marmozets ever since seeing them with Muse but I'd never heard anything I liked from them as much as Play and that would have been an entry I would have been SO glad to support in a final from you in a year where I was against near everything else. Sorry. Return with rock like Marmozets when you next come back please x

Marmozets - Play > Rebecca & Fiona - Shotgun > Easyfun - Monopoly > Ana Mena > Fanny Andersen > Naika > Hannah Jane Lewis > Jaded > Georgia Denton > Olivia Holt

Umiiruka
Waterslides was really a very good song. Nice to see you try to enter again Umi, feel free to return any time, I'll probably still stan you unreasonably.

United States of Jack
Considering I expected to hate Bree Runway, it was really quite good for what it was. Belated congrats on the top 10 and I'll say the same as with Umiiruka so as not to be RUDE

Unovia
Big congrats on getting that victory finally, even if it was in the contest I probably paid the least attention to since starting this whole thing. Vulcano is a pretty decent song, I'll give you that one, not spectacularly high in my ranks of winners but nothing I begrudge either. I have almost no memory of Ponteme weirdly, which is unfortunate because it's quite a bop. I remember thinking Voiceless was a bit eh in the contest but its production has really grown on me since and I definitely count it as something I like now. Growers is a theme of a nation other than with Jadakissnia! The one entry I remember being particularly awful was Prom Queen, I couldn't get through listening to that more than once. However on the other end of the spectrum, as is probably bleedingly obvious because she's Japanese, Utada Hikaru's Simple & Clean stayed with me for a long part of the year, I was vaguely aware of it before, through Hikari in Instrumentals last year, but that instrumental was properly opened up to me by you entering that, so thank you for that and may it be one of the most remembered entries of 2017 (as probably the biggest success for J-Pop in the whole year, not that I'm jealous or anything, no no no).

Utada Hikaru - Simple & Clean > Jenn Morel - Ponteme > Isabel Otrebus - Voiceless > SLUMBERJACK - Fracture > Francesca Michelin - Vulcano > Ricki-Lee > Brooke Fraser > PON CHO > Manelyk > Molly Kate Kestner

Varakë
A bit of a rather lengthy return for Varake this year. It was ages ago and not this year but I must say that belatedly Luxury is absolutely incredible now. Visele was okay, not entirely my thing, same with Dialeto, although both were interesting qualifiers. Evangeline was really quite good though and that'd be my pick of the Varake entries this year, maybe it just looks like Evanescence and that's influencing things but it's really quite a tune.

Evangeline - My Kingdom > Irina Rimes - Visele > Diego Pacarra > Fhin

Vülkyria
Yeah, Aegistha wasn't really my thing. A bit too subtle for my tastes, not too bad to listen to but a bit underwhelming. I'm pleased to see that the vast number of returnees in BJSC 100 haven't ALL gone out of the door straight away though.

Wasteland
see Zanmatony.

What
The Endless Knot was just as good as your other entries but was of course very doomed and I couldn't help it. SADFACE. (gonna add a 'more What please' even though it'll never happen)

Yehesi
Is this going to be similar to Ultraviolenceland? Hmm. Well, MUNA I thought was a bit overrated at the time and Winterbreak is still better but it's not really that bad, just a bit boring. There's only two entries I'd say were really bad, Ella On The Run and Sophia Ayana, the next 4 along with MUNA go into a soup of bland mushyness that is so common with pop entries that don't somehow grab me. Doing well so far Tim. There were three entries I liked, firstly VINAI, which was bold enough to grab my attention despite being generic as all hell. Then Truls, who is always very good value, not quite as good as his other entries but still a bit of a tune. And your clear best for perhaps Yehesi's last year, assuming you don't return, which you might at some point, was IAMX, with an even better entry than Happiness, I Come With Knives has some wonderful lyrics and production, thank you for that.

IAMX - I Come With Knives > Truls - The Next > VINAI - Into The Fire > OG3NE > MY > MUNA > Veronika Vesper > Jaira Burns > Sophia Ayana > Ella On The Run

Zanmatony
Erm, sorry for finding you out but your alias entry was always going to catch my eye. In a slightly sad hobby I watch BJSC confirmation lists like a hawk and sniff out anything slightly uninspired in case the BJSC mods miss it (they don't often these days but I still do it out of habit) and D.A.N.C.E by a new member both made me want to veto it and warranted an IP check on the new member. My unofficial not in Admin or BJSC mod capacity opinion (and so I don't want this to open up any sort of debate on it, because it's all been said and done), I think you made a very silly mistake that you should have known would be completely disallowed, and to give you a chance to learn from it, I would have banned you not permanently, but for a long enough time for you to be fully aware that that just doesn't fly here. Like a year, for argument's sake). Because you were just starting to step into your groove as an interesting BJSC contributor, with some early awful things like Louis The Child and Yellow Claw starting to be counterbalanced with this kind of really interesting dirty dance-rap groove in entries like About It and Fragment One, or fun instrumentals like Touched By The Sun. In a somewhat nice sendoff, your last entry, Hey You, really exemplifies what I'm talking about here, very fun with the rap and really interesting to listen to. I could have used more of that.

Les Rythmes Digtales - Hey You (What's That Sound) > The Kenneth Bager Experience - Fragment One (And I Kept Hearing) > Paradisio - Bailando > Envio - Touched By The Sun > M4SONIC - About It > Gryffin > Yellow Claw > Louis The Child > Schwarz

FINI. finally. Before January is out, I'll say

~~~~~~~~~~

Worldvision happened

22nd in that, thank you everyone who pointed our tragic song (in theme, not in sound, it's perfectly amazing thank you mad.gif ) about the Armenian Genocide and we hope you enjoyed our ~ethnic~ flavour we brought this time.

next time, I shall hopefully have a country I can bend to my whims more easily

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jungfru qualified. HURRAH. Our year has started off very well. We have 49th to beat in the EOY, can we do that? (yes) I promise LIMITED messing about with anime themes this year, I'm going to discover you all some right tunes. And if those happen to be anime themes, then so be it but I'm going to go a little less one-note. Maybe I'll return symphonic rock to the table.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th February 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #413
Group icon

Audio Paradyne & Stahl! - Paradise

According to independent reviewers (that definitely aren't random Youtube comments), this sounds like victory music. At least how hands-up victory music sounds like and, well, that bassline is to die for <3. It caught my attention as I was just going through one of my favourite channels on Youtube as a playlist and I kept coming back to it as soon as I heard it. HOPE YOU ALL LIKE. It's been a while since I went proper dance, Chipland was the only time last year and I should have been doing it more.

plus that picture of Miku is AMAZING as is every picture of her but her incredibleness needs repeating. Anyone noticed I'm getting really into blue/green hair lately?

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 19th February 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #414
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Iz @ Feb 19 2018, 05:21 PM) *
Anyone noticed I'm getting really into blue/green hair lately?

Yes.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 19th February 2018, 10:15 PM
Post #415
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Oh this entry is absolutely sublime heart.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 20th February 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #416
Group icon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Feb 19 2018, 09:18 PM) *
Yes.

It's really made me interested in how hair colours (or other colour schemes) affect personalities (perceived if not fictional) and if there's anything beyond that. So far I've got green as cool and aloof (totally my type) and pink as suspiciously cutesy. Obviously a lot harder to make any generalisations about natural hair colours.

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Feb 19 2018, 10:15 PM) *
Oh this entry is absolutely sublime heart.gif

I was hoping you'd like it, it's got a lot of the eurodance-esque sound in it so yay!

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 20th February 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #417
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

QUOTE(Iz @ Feb 20 2018, 01:18 PM) *
It's really made me interested in how hair colours (or other colour schemes) affect personalities (perceived if not fictional) and if there's anything beyond that. So far I've got green as cool and aloof (totally my type) and pink as suspiciously cutesy. Obviously a lot harder to make any generalisations about natural hair colours.

I believe that in relation to anime, there's a much simpler explanation for the different hair colours. Most characters will have different hair colours so that you can tell all the characters apart easily. As there are only five natural hair colours in real life, and lots of anime have more than 5 characters, they normally need to go beyond the natural colour pallettes, hence lots of blues, greens, pinks etc. Although that doesn't rule our designating hair colours to characters based on personality types as well.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th March 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #418
Group icon

Annella - Perfume

For all my vocal love for the electro swing entries that found their way into BJSC, having never entered one of them was getting to be something I wanted to fix, and so I've done so while simultaneously adding a visit to something incredibly poppy, something that outside of Japanese rock-tinged girls I haven't touched for years. And I had this incredible tune from Annella as something I was keeping around for a good day, but I hadn't seen the video yet. The video pushed it over the line out of the many I was debating over into the ONE. I mean, it features Annella YunoGasaiing it up something fierce. And probably it's fierce in the more usual Buzzjack sense of the term too.

Anyway, whatever my reasons for sending it aside, enjoy some really fun swinging pop <3

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 19th March 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #419
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

Mosquetania sends their regards and best wishes in the 103rd Buzzjack Song Contest. The Mosquetanian betting sites are fully expecting Annella to qualify to the final on saturday. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 16th April 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #420
Group icon

^yay.

Beyond The Black - Night Will Fade

Having a bit of a dilemma what to send, I decided the best thing to do was to go back to my favourite way to play Séyetana, introduce you all to a banging rock tune you didn't know before. And I found the perfect one from new German symphonic metal outfit Beyond The Black. Who sound like a combination of Within Temptation and Against The Current to my ears with a bit of iconic head-banging chanting in there too.

Night Will Fade was the soundtrack song to a German-language film (Ketzerbraut) about a Medieval Heretic, released last year. Which explains the iconic sword-fights and people looking very serious in the music video biggrin.gif To go alongside the epic music of course.

+Quote this post

27 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:31 AM