BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> DALLAS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mushymanrob
post 10th November 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #1
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5
30 years ago THE archytypal soap opera hit the screens, a strangely 80's phenomina, american soaps dominated the rateings.

after initially ignoring dallas, i started catching the re-runs at tea time on the build up to 'who shot jr'. that was a splendid 'whodunnit' , hastely written, three episodes where added onto the end of the second seriese and the biggest whodunnit in history was created. so many candidates as jr has pissed off so many people.

(it was kristin shepard, jr's sister in law)

i liked dallas, ive watched many repeats on ukgold and still enjoy the nastiness, the comedic moments (usually jr putting down someone), the twists and turns, and it was loveable eccentric larry hagman who created the persona of jr ewing. tbh, i doubt if anyone else coulda done it, he played the role masterfully.

i couldnt stand the 'girly bits',. anything to do with pam (victoria principal...hence principal victoria in southpark...lol), just silly gushy wet woman stuff...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
poppet15
post 10th November 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #2
Group icon
UKs Biggest European Music fan
User: 285
I hated these OTT American Soaps such as Dallas, Dynasty and the Colbies.

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 10th November 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #3
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5
QUOTE(Euro Music @ Nov 10 2008, 11:54 AM) *
I hated these OTT American Soaps such as Dallas, Dynasty and the Colbies.

wash your mouth out! laugh.gif, never use the words 'dallas' and 'dynasty' together as they were poles apart. i DETESTED dynasty and all the other american soaps, but dallas was pure entertainment. smile.gif

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 11th November 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751
I loathed Dallas with a passion and it DOES deserve to be lumped in with the other American schlock we got at the time.

But then I can't stand soaps now so it ain't surprising really.

+Quote this post
brian91
post 13th November 2008, 12:12 AM
Post #5
Group icon
You are a child of the universe
User: 78
I admit to watching Dallas, but it just became silly when Bobby came back after being killed, only to explain it by a dream rotf.gif

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 22nd October 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
Dallas is one of my all-time favorite shows. I've watched it as a kid, then again as a teen and a third time as an adult. I'm still mad how bad the new show was. They got most of the original cast and the new ones were hot, but the script was so bad. I wish that was just a bad dream, but Pam's bad dream on the original Dallas was a great twist. They could have gone the easy daytime soap way by explaining Bobby was revived after his family left the hospital room and held hostage by whomever for a year, but they went brave with the shower scene.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 22nd October 2020, 04:05 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I got hooked on Dallas series 2 when it CLEARLY became a pisstake comedy, and with some brilliant one-liners, showing up the arrogant rich oil barons for what they are - greedy and ruthless. JR is a major 20th century fictional character and Larry Hagman was huge. It had it's tongue in it's cheek all the way, how else would they have had the nerve to completely write off a season as a dream! laugh.gif It should have ended about a series or 2 after Bobby came back, and stayed that way.

Dynasty and the other glossy primetime soaps were useless. No sense of irony, no sense of humour, the characters were dull, give or take Joan Collins' efforts, and the plotting excruciating.

+Quote this post
Monzo
post 22nd October 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 349
Dynasty was very plot-driven. They never knew what to do with Steven and his sexuality. They changed it when they had a certain storyline in mind. Alexis saved the soap when she joined in season 2 for sure. That Moldavian wedding massacre was a great season finale but the aftermath was too dumb, also at the same time Krystle had a doppelgänger and the Colbys came along with their spin-off. The producers and writers didn't know when it was enough, they always wanted more and then Dynasty collapsed faster than Dallas.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:01 PM