BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Josh's Top 50 Harry Potter Characters
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post 30th September 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #21
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

45. Padma Patil

- Another minor character but one that is nice to see when she pops up now and then. I mainly like her and her sister for how disinterested they are in Harry and Ron at the Yule Ball to the point where they pretty much just ask to dance with other people laugh.gif Padma is also amazing because in the Cursed Child alternate reality, she ends up getting married to Ron and having a child called Panju laugh.gif

44. Parvati Patil

- Parvati ranks a bit higher here because she's a Gryffindor so naturally we get to see a bit more of her. She's also funny because of how much she likes Trelawney which is quite cute although we don't really get to see much of her in the movies. She also get's the iconic line 'arm, leg, I'm yours' in response to the boy who asks her for her arm at the Yule Ball after sitting there bored with Harry for most of the night laugh.gif

43. Katie Bell

- Another minor character that I just like seeing about when she turns up. I also like the actress who played her in the later films and I always liked her in the books too so that helps. She gets a bit more to do than the rest hence her slightly higher position, she has the scary cursed necklace moment and also a part in the Quidditch team which is always fun.

42. Colin Creevey

- Probably one of the more annoying characters at first, he basically just follows Harry around with a camera for his first year but he does grow on you and in the end you do feel sad when he gets petrified during the Chamber of Secrets. It's even more sad when you consider that he was under-aged in the final film/book but ended up sneaking into the castle to fight and ultimately was killed sad.gif

41. Horace Slughorn

- For someone who wasn't properly introduced until the sixth book, Professor Slughorn still makes a pretty big impact as a character, largely down to the fact he was the one to inform a young Tom Riddle all about horcruxes in the first place. He's evidently sorry about what he's done but I still find him a bit unlikeable for how he pretty much caused the whole Voldemort thing and tried to cover it all over in order to keep his reputation. It's pretty clear that his character is all based on being popular and prizing his star students makes him come across unpleasant. Ultimately, he has a good heart and ends up fighting for what is right so he deserves his spot here even if he isn't one of my favourite Hogwarts professors.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 30th September 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Parvati is also my fave of the twins (and the more attractive imo) and because she plays a bigger role. The Katie Bell scene was great (the gif) Colin doesn't do much in the movies so I wouldn't rank him too high either but I deffo would've ranked Horace higher wub.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 1st October 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #23
Group icon
c:

40. Mrs Figg

- Mrs Figg is someone you really hate to begin with (especially in the books) because she's not really very nice to Harry but it's revealed that she was actually a squib and Dumbledore had ordered her to keep an eye on Harry all along and in fact, she's a very nice old lady. I love it how you think she's just an old lady from the neighbourhood and then she bursts out with stuff about dementors laugh.gif

39. Madam Hooch

- Madam Hooch is probably one of the cooler professors at Hogwarts, she teaches FLYING for a living after all! and she has yellow eyes which is pretty cool too laugh.gif This is just a character that I liked seeing pop up during the Quidditch parts of the first film, it's a shame that Zoe Wanamaker only signed up for one film and wasn't brought back at all sad.gif

38. The Fat Lady

- Not a very interesting character in the first film when played by Elizabeth Spriggs but when Dawn French jumps into the role, she becomes absolutely hilarious! My favourite moment being the gif above when she refuses to open up until she can show off her 'glass-shattering' voice laugh.gif

37. Madam Pomfrey

- Madam Pomfrey is the matron at Hogwarts and always there to look after the likes students who are unfortunate enough to need to grow bones back or be un-petrified. The reason she's up this high is because she has a few good one-liners where you can tell she doesn't take crap laugh.gif

36. Oliver Wood

- Oliver Wood was the Gryffindor Quidditch team captain for the first few years of Harry's time on the team. He's a nice guy and Harry's mentor on all things Quidditch. Whoever decided to play him as a Scot though is the cause of my gaywakening I think, definitely had a little bit of a crush on him when I was younger and he grew up pretty fine too wink.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 2nd October 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #24
Group icon
c:

35. Gregory Goyle

- So Goyle ends up 15 places higher than his counterpart Crabbe. Mainly because we actually get to see him up until the last film due to the lack of the actor's imprisonment laugh.gif Goyle is another of Malfoy's cronies that you love to hate but ultimately his death is kind of sad in the final film.

34. Moaning Myrtle

- The only ghost to make it in my list! All of the house ghosts and Professor Binns are fun in the books but we don't get to see so much of them in the movies whereas Myrtle gets a bit more of a role although still very minor. She's quite funny in her scenes, especially when she's crushing on Harry whilst having a bath laugh.gif

33. Quirinus Quirrell

- Unfortunately we lose this character after just one movie due to his rather crumbly death but he's a good introduction to the whole Voldemort story line. Someone you really don't suspect to be after the Philosopher's Stone due to his rather sweet and stuttering personality and the Voldemort on the back of his head twist is one of my favourites.

32. Rita Skeeter

- Probably the biggest utter BITCH in all of the Harry Potter stories, Rita Skeeter likes to twist everyone's words with the help of her magical pen friend. I love how she just basically makes up her own stories and passes it off as the truth with a knowingly bitchy smirk on her face the whole time. I also LOVED Miranda Richardson's portrayal of her in the Goblet of Fire movie. I love when Harry points out they're conducting an interview in a teeny cupboard and she just says how he should feel at home then laugh.gif

31. Kingsley Shacklebolt

- Kingsley doesn't really get much attention but he's always been one of my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix. He oozes a sort of magestic coolness and he pulls off the action shots very well. He's the sort of guy you'd just love to be friends with and his work was noted as he ended up becoming the Minister for Magic later in life.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 2nd October 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #25
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Myrtle and especially Rita Skeeter both too low!!

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 2nd October 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Omg the fat lady i love ha so much, she is my spirit animal

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd October 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #27
Group icon
c:

30. Cho Chang

- Cho is Harry's first proper crush and also first kiss, she a nice character to have in order to explore the teenage crush side of Harry's life. Katie Leung seems very sweet in the role and it's a shame really that things couldn't work out between Harry and her as she's far better than Ginny imo.

29. Cedric Diggory

- Another character that it was a shame to lose so soon after meeting them. Cedric only really gets a part in one book and then he's dead by the end of it. Cedric comes across as a nice guy and it was fun seeing him in the Triwizard Tournament parts especially.

28. Narcissa Malfoy

- Here's a character I really wish we'd got to see more of but ended up remaining in a rather small role. For starters, she looks fierce and I'd love to see her doing more wicked things alongside her sister, Bellatrix and also because she actually has a bit of a backstory in the lengths she'll go to protect her family. At the end of the day, she kind of kicks off the chain of events that leads to Voldemort's death in the final film by lying about Harry dying all in order to know her son is safe.

27. Arthur Weasley

- Arthur comes in fifth place out of all the Weasley's but he is still a rather likeable character. He's amusing when his fascination of all things muggle takes over but I guess he's not really as funny or charming as some of the other Weasley's. Nevertheless, you love him as part of the family that gave Harry a home and you feel worried for him when he's in danger, especially in Order of the Phoenix.

26. Dobby

- Even I'm wondering if this is too low for Dobby when writing this but it must be said I did find him really, really annoying in the Chamber of Secrets and he only really grew on me towards the end. As the books went along though, he continued to show his gratitude to Harry for setting him free and saved his life on a few occasions. And of course, the death scene is one of the saddest in all of the books and films, you can tell how much he valued Harry's friendship for giving him the sock years back.

+Quote this post
Botchia
post 3rd October 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #28
Group icon
I Drink Wine
User: 21,753

Mrs Figg *.* What a legend!

Erm Dobby already?!!!!! You've officially lost me.

(Although Chelsea from EastEnders' character making an appearance too *.*)

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 3rd October 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #29
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I've been in a Potter mood recently after seeing the play so I'm interested to follow this! Agree with most so far (including the omission of Ginny ;o) though Dobby is far too low. His death was even more sad than Hedwig's </3

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th October 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #30
Group icon
c:

25. Gilderoy Lockhart

- There seems to be a recurring theme of characters who unfortunately we don't see much of outside of the one book they feature in sad.gif Lockhart was pretty amazing in Chamber of Secrets because he was basically just a massive liar and secretly terrible at all things magic. It's great seeing him get his comeuppance but to be honest I actually quite like him as a character anyway, he is pretty funny like when he gets rid of all of Harry's bones in his arms laugh.gif

24. Nymphadora Tonks

- Tonks was always one of my favourite characters in the books because she always seemed so cool, aided by the fact that she was a metamorphmagus and could change her appearance at will. She was also pretty cool in the films but unfortunately we never got to see very much of her and her relationship with Lupin and eventual death was only briefly touch upon. However, she did have a few cool moments like the gif I posted and also when she turns her nose into a pig snout.

23. Pomona Sprout

- Professor Sprout is not one of the Hogwarts professors who gets the most screentime but I've always liked her in both the books and the films and Miriam Margolyes is also amazing so I loved her portrayal of the character in the brief moments we saw of her. I loved when Neville faints in the Herbology class and she's just like yeah, leave him there laugh.gif

22. Rubeus Hagrid

- Yet another character that probably seems rather low, I bet all you guys just want to ban all my opinions at this stage laugh.gif Hagrid is a loveable character but he is just kind of irrelevant and sometimes I forget he even exists until I really think which is a shame seeing as he is such a prominent character. Also, he can be a bit annoying in the way he's sort of a big kid and keeps making mistakes. I guess that's what makes him so loveable for some people but for me it can get a bit irritating and there are other characters I prefer.

21. Lucius Malfoy

- Lucius Malfoy is one of the death eaters that make the largest impact. He's one of those characters that just oozes wickedness whenever he's on screen and for that reason, he's so entertaining to watch. I love his scenes with Dobby and also with the rest of his family where much like Narcissa, you can tell he really only cares about his own safety rather than remaining loyal to Voldemort.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 5th October 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #31
Group icon

I stan Tonks wub.gif her personality and hair colour changes are everything *.*

Myrtle is up there too, again love her personality and her character in the series biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 6th October 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #32
Group icon
c:

Yeah, Tonks' abilities are pretty amazing. Still gutted she didn't get a bigger part in the movies.

Next five coming up shortly!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 6th October 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #33
Group icon
c:

20. Seamus Finnigan

- One of the final Hogwarts students within Harry's time frame to make the list is Seamus Finnigan. He's was one of the cuter characters throughout the movies always blowing stuff up accidentally. He also grew up and turned into a bit of an odd crush of mine, think it was the accent yet again. Seamus has his moments in the films like doing his part during the Battle of Hogwarts and helping to blow up the bridge along with Neville. He's also one of the few characters to pop up in all eight films so it's always good to see him pop up wherever.

19. Fred Weasley

- Fred and George are two of the more popular characters in the Harry Potter universe, mainly due to their mischievous antics, they have a lot of good jokes and funny moments in the films and are played excellently by the Phelps twins. Unfortunately, Fred is killed in the final film and it's barely even touched upon which is a bit annoying. At least he didn't lose his ear like his twin brother.

18. George Weasley

- George ranks a bit higher here than his twin because he gets some extra points for managing to stay alive. There's not much to say about him separately because they don't really do anything aside from being a comical duo. Their favourite moment for me is probably this.

17. Mad Eye Moody

- Moody is one of the wackier characters we get to see on screen, from his mad eye to his cautious personality. He seems scary on the outside but is a character you really warm to and he's also a very large part of the Goblet of Fire, even if for the wrong reasons. His best moment is turning Malfoy into a ferret, bouncing him up and down like a puppet and only stopping when McGonagall intervenes laugh.gif

16. Draco Malfoy

- Malfoy is probably one of the more famous Harry Potter characters, he's one of the few people the same age as Harry who really hates him and tries his best to make his life as miserable as possible. Malfoy is yet another character that you love to hate even from his first introduction as a little boy in the Philosopher's Stone. He eventually joins the Death Eaters like his and interestingly, that is when you really start to sympathise with the character as you get the impression that deep down, he's not so keen on being on Voldemort's side.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 7th October 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #34
Group icon
c:

15. Filius Flitwick

- Professor Flitwick is one of those characters that pretty much everyone loves. He may be short but you can tell he's a very powerful wizard and was able to excel in Charms especially. Unfortunately, we weren't able to witness too many of his lessons in the movies but his Wingardium Leviosa lesson is one of the more fun we get to see and he's a great character in the books too.

14. Sybill Trelawney

- Everyone seems to make the mick out of Trelawney for her Divination skills but in reality, a rather large amount of predictions actually do come true during the course of the story. She's a very fun character both looks wise (with her amazing glasses) and also personality wise, portrayed hilariously by Emma Thompson. Even as a viewer you just write her off as a teacher but end up getting gut-punched when Umbridge is about to kick her out of her home.

13. Dolores Umbridge

- I did say earlier that Rita Skeeter was probably the biggest bitch in the Harry Potter universe but Umbridge is right up there too. Umbridge is basically just an evil woman with torturous methods of behaviour reinforcement such as pens that write into your skin, she also seems to have very little motives to be so wicked which make her even more scary in some ways. Every time you hear her giggle or see her smirk in the movies, you just want to knock the smile right off her face. Luckily, she was out of Hogwarts within a year but she still continued to show up in the Ministry of Magic scenes. As intolerable as she is, she's a fantastic character in the way she really makes your blood boil and really the only reason she is so low is because she isn't introduced until the fifth instalment.

12. Remus Lupin

- Lupin is one of those all round nice guys that ends up being a father figure for Harry during his third year at Hogwarts and onwards but he is actually interesting too unlike Sirius Black. Sadly, we didn't get to see much more of him in the films after his large role in Prisoner of Azkaban but in the books, his relationship with Tonks was a highlight until the point where they died fighting against Voldemort at Hogwarts. There are a lot of sad deaths in Harry Potter but I really think Lupin's is the one that touched me the most. He also has his werewolf transformations which are intriguing and help us to understand more about magical animals in the wizarding universe.

11. Neville Longbottom

- So just missing out on the top 10 is everyone's favourite Gryffindor (aside from the main trio), Neville Longbottom. One of the sweetest characters, not much seems to go right for him in his first few years from getting picked up by Pixies or losing his Toad or Remembrall. However, he begins to grow as a wizard and ends up getting his big moment helping to defeat Voldemort by killing the final horcrux that was Nagini. It's lovely seeing him get his moment to shine with the big speech and then helping to finish Voldemort off a few scenes later. Also, yassss Matthew Lewis wub.gif

This post has been edited by Josh.: 7th October 2016, 07:31 PM

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 7th October 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #35
Group icon

Anyone who doesn't hate Umbridge is a Slytherin irl tbh kink.gif

I'd say Neville is one of the more underrated characters in the series so yay for a high finish biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 7th October 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #36
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Neville, Dolores and Sybill alll such favourites of mine too wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th October 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #37
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Neville was for sure one of the most underrated characters in Harry Potter series. A massive transformation from the wet blanket in the first film to the final film.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th October 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #38
Group icon
c:

Sections #10-#6 are coming tonight. Sorry for not finishing this sooner, been doing loads of lates at work drama.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th October 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #39
Group icon
c:

10. Ron Weasley

- 10th may seem a little low for Ron but despite how much I love him, he has always been my least favourite of the trio and there are a few other major characters that I would rank up above him. He is the cutest thing ever for the first couple films but he does get a little bit stroppy teenager later on like when he leaves Harry and Hermione to find horcruxes on their own which just make him come across as a bit of a dick. Of course he does redeem himself and certainly does his part in destroying Voldemort whilst getting all the funny lines at the same time but ultimately he has to land in 10th on my list.

09. Molly Weasley

- Landing one place ahead of her son is Ron's mother Molly Weasley. One of the characters that really deserves more screen time because why would you NOT just give Julie Walters all the screen time? Molly Weasley is basically the depiction of the best mum ever and I think everyone who's ever watched the series wants Molly as their magical mother really. She's caring, funny, charming and just pretty much lovely really but she can be fierce when she needs to be, showcased perfectly by the best line in the whole series - 'Not my daughter, you bitch.' Molly is a queen of life and needs more appreciation really.

08. Severus Snape

- Severus Snape probably has one of the biggest character redemptions in recent literature history. Snape is someone you absolute despise for the first six films and books for just being an utter bully to Harry, something of course you don't expect from a senior teacher at a school. However, when you get to see his past in Deathly Hallows and all the things he's actually done in order to protect Harry from harm all for the one he loves, your heart really does just shatter and you can see someone much more human behind the thick, greasy, black hair. Snape is one of the most powerful wizards we get to see in the universe, expertly played by Alan Rickman who embodies him perfectly, there is really no arguing that he is one of the best characters.

07. Albus Dumbledore

- Albus Dumbledore is largely known as one of the most powerful and wise wizards of all time and it comes as no surprise when we get to see him in action in the films with all of his touching quotes and exciting duels. Richard Harris did a good job as the more wise side of Dumbledore and I know a lot of people prefer him but for me, Michael Gambon did a far better job. Yes, Dumbledore is over a century old but he's still sprightly and clearly still very powerful which I'm not sure Harris would have been able to pull off. My favourite Dumbledore moment is probably the fight against Voldemort in the Ministry of Magic at the end of Order of the Phoenix, shows how fantastic he really was in order to pretty much beat Voldemort so late in his life.

06. Lord Voldemort

- Completing this penultimate section is Tom Marvolo Riddle himself, Lord Voldemort. One of the most iconic film villains of all time now probably, he has some of the darkest scenes in the film series. Any time Voldemort is on screen, the audience feel a sense of tension about what he will do next, usually unpredictable and evil at the same time. He has many fantastic moments but some of my favourites include killing Charity Burbage in Deathly Hallows, the scene where he thinks Harry is dead and makes Hagrid take his body back up to the castle and also the graveyard scene in Goblet of Fire when we first get to see his full body form. Ralph Fiennes is amazing in the role and luckily in the end, he disintegrated in order to let Harry live a happy life (until the Cursed Child book of course but we won't talk about that).

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 12th October 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #40
Group icon
c:

Top 5 when I find a moment either today or tomorrow. Any predictions/wants?

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:16 AM