BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Punisher, Netflix's sixth (!) Marvel series
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post 16th November 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

Following his appearance in season 2 of Daredevil, Jon Bernthal will return in his own series as The Punisher, released on Netflix on Friday with a 13 episode series. The Punisher has actually had three (!) feature films already, the most recent being 2008.

After exacting revenge on those responsible for the death of his wife and children, Frank Castle (Jon Bernthal) uncovers a conspiracy that runs far deeper than New York’s criminal underworld. Now known throughout the city as The Punisher, he must discover the truth about injustices that affect more than his family alone.

As with all Netflix shows, it will exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ie there may be a random glancing mention of Captain America or Iron Man but otherwise it takes a MUCH darker tone, with the Punisher set to be the darkest yet. It fits more prominently within the Netflix Marvel universe, and we'll see Karen Page from Daredevil appearing. It is set to be bloody and violent.

Are you looking forward to it? Will it be a Jessica Jones or an Iron Fist?

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Severin
post 19th November 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

About halfway through this now and I'm a bit disappointed. Frank Castle's plot was easily the strong point of Daredevil's 2nd season but whilst Berntahl's performance remains exceptional the show hasn't quite tackled its core issues properly. I really feel it needs to focus more on the conflicting nature of Punisher's character. He's no hero. He's a murderer and a sociopath with a psychotic streak. Yeah he kills the bad guys but he should be every bit as vile as them. It's too sympathetic so far.
That said it's the best since Jessica Jones overall.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 23rd November 2017, 11:16 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Agreed pretty much with everything Severin said. I'm on episode 4 and it's quite boring? Like, it's had more going for it than Luke Cage or Iron Fist, but not much more (oh I loved Daredevil 2) Really hoping it picks up.

It's not terrible or bad, it's good, but I still feel disappointed and underwhelmed and feel they could be doing much, much more with it!

+Quote this post
Severin
post 25th November 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Mansonette

It does noticably pick up in the second half but it still feels like they flinched from really delving into the deeper questions of America's gun obsession and vigilantism.

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 26th November 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #5
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

I'm now four episodes in and, so far, I'm enjoying it much more than Luke Cage and Iron Fist! It's possibly on par with Daredevil for me currently. (Jessica Jones is obvs the best)

I think the first episode was really well done, a great (re)introduction to Frank, before we move on to the 'real' story of the season in the following eps.

I just hope it manages to sustain the 13 eps for once but I'm expecting the usual sag to slip in. I was sensing it coming until that car chase at the end of Ep 4!

+Quote this post
p a v
post 1st December 2017, 09:46 AM
Post #6
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

okay so i finally finished this yesterday

i'm not the squeamish type AT ALL (the more blood the merrier cheer.gif ) but the majority of kill scenes in the last few episodes made me feel a bit uneasy.

by far Marvel's darkest side yet and... I kinda love it

Overall this didn't feel as nail-biting and exciting as Jessica Jones but I definitely prefer it to Iron Fist and Daredevil (not watched Luke Cage yet but I've never seen any appeal so doubt I will be~)

Interesting to see in what direction this goes in the second season.

This post has been edited by ionderella: 1st December 2017, 09:46 AM

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 3rd December 2017, 12:20 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

Nah I’m really not feeling this at all, I’m on episode 2 rn and I can’t but Just to feel bored atm, Frank Just isn’t grabbing me as a character, the constant flashbacks and moping around and the whole ‘I don’t need friends/relationships cus I Lost everything’ attitude is just irritating the hell out of me. I get they’re trying to flesh him out into more than a gun wielding vigilante but a huge part of what makes The Punsiher who he is is his insanely graphic and intense violent nature which there seems to be a distinct lack of in this show. Maybe it’s just not really my thing but nothing seems to be grabbing me yet, although I’m only 2 episodes in. Maybe I’ll finish this one day but rn I just can’t get through it, it feels way more of a chore than any of the others, apart from Luke Cage which I never finished either whoops

+Quote this post
Cal
post 3rd December 2017, 12:45 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 5,964

Just finished this now. I don't have much knowledge of Marvel stuff so I gave this a shot thinking I'd give up after a couple of episodes but I ended up really enjoying it. I should've known I'd like it when Shohreh Aghdashloo popped up in the first episode. wub.gif

Again, not much of a Marvel person (literally know like Spiderman and that's it) so not sure how close the characters are to what they should be, but Frank, David, Dinah and Karen (and obvs Farah) were all stars of the show for me. Quite difficult to watch in places (and like Pavel, I'm not squeamish in the slightest) but probably necessary for the context/backstory. Would like to see where this goes but I'm guessing any future link to this might be back in Daredevil which I have yet to watch oops.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 3rd December 2017, 12:57 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 3 2017, 12:45 AM) *
Just finished this now. I don't have much knowledge of Marvel stuff so I gave this a shot thinking I'd give up after a couple of episodes but I ended up really enjoying it. I should've known I'd like it when Shohreh Aghdashloo popped up in the first episode. wub.gif

Again, not much of a Marvel person (literally know like Spiderman and that's it) so not sure how close the characters are to what they should be, but Frank, David, Dinah and Karen (and obvs Farah) were all stars of the show for me. Quite difficult to watch in places (and like Pavel, I'm not squeamish in the slightest) but probably necessary for the context/backstory. Would like to see where this goes but I'm guessing any future link to this might be back in Daredevil which I have yet to watch oops.

The Punisher's very public trial in Daredevil S2 is incredibly good and the show tackles some obvious questions that his own series doesn't really handle at all. It was looking like a hugely impressive season until Electra showed up and spoiled everything

This post has been edited by Severin: 3rd December 2017, 12:58 AM

+Quote this post
p a v
post 3rd December 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(ChristmasTreeCow @ Dec 3 2017, 03:20 AM) *
Nah I’m really not feeling this at all, I’m on episode 2 rn and I can’t but Just to feel bored atm, Frank Just isn’t grabbing me as a character, the constant flashbacks and moping around and the whole ‘I don’t need friends/relationships cus I Lost everything’ attitude is just irritating the hell out of me. I get they’re trying to flesh him out into more than a gun wielding vigilante but a huge part of what makes The Punsiher who he is is his insanely graphic and intense violent nature which there seems to be a distinct lack of in this show. Maybe it’s just not really my thing but nothing seems to be grabbing me yet, although I’m only 2 episodes in. Maybe I’ll finish this one day but rn I just can’t get through it, it feels way more of a chore than any of the others, apart from Luke Cage which I never finished either whoops

lol gurl you just WAIT

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 8th December 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Kmt. Daredevil 2 is my fave Marvel series. sad.gif

But the Daredevil's and Jessica Jones are the huge faves though. All 3 are brilliant! I still need to finish this, not really got much further, but now that I've read you guys say it picks up as it goes on, I'm intrigued to finish it sooner rather than later.

We shall see I spose!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 10th December 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #12
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦

Finished this and I did feel like it hit the usual sag but it really got brilliant again towards the end, particularly those last two episodes! can the fingers in the eye thing not start being a thing please after this and GoT

It was a lot better than I was expecting overall, I'd definitely put it above Luke Cage and Iron Fist. What I think the Netflix Marvel series do well is that they're not afraid to show that they're all in one world but it doesn't feel as forced as say the movies & Agents of SHIELD (i still love those tho!!). The characters that cross-over feel a lot more natural because the shows are taking place in roughly the same place. In particular, Karen needed to be part of The Punisher but it didn't feel as though you had to have seen Daredevil to understand why she was there etc but it was still a payoff to those who have seen Daredevil.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 07:33 AM