BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Passion', 2005 • 3rd Album
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sideout
post 29th December 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

Honestly, almost half the album is b-side material. Superstar, Don't Get Any Better, Passion, So I Give Up On Love and Surrender Your Groove does nothing for me. Can't believe 100% Pure Love and Set Me Off were left off the album.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 29th December 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

QUOTE(Sideout @ Dec 29 2020, 09:37 PM) *
Honestly, almost half the album is b-side material. Superstar, Don't Get Any Better, Passion, So I Give Up On Love and Surrender Your Groove does nothing for me. Can't believe 100% Pure Love and Set Me Off were left off the album.

I agree those two tracks were much more in tune with the original feel off the direction she was going in with the album.

I recall her saying in the documentary that they were choreographing her for 100% PL to be the single but she felt like they were putting her in the sausage machine.

I think she thought they wanted her to be a covers artist after the huge success of Its Raining Men. Given Geri's strong writing talent I can understand why that would annoy her.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 29th December 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

This album is absolute shit. Sorry Geri, Schizophonic was actually surprisingly good and varied, but Passion is just dire. It's my least Favourite solo album along with This Time and Stages.

Passions as an era was truly awful too, Geri was on the edge mentally, looked terrible the 2 singles videos were tacky as hell. An absolute era to forget.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th June 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #24
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

The topic of her 2005 tour was raised in the Throwback topic. It's an interesting moment that sadly marked the beginning of her solo downfall.

Here's everything I can found about it, including two articles that definitely take pleasure in the tour not doing well. Both reference it being postponed, but I can't find anything about it being outright cancelled.

Clear Channel UK Presents:
Geri Halliwell
The Live Tour 2005

Tour Dates
May 03, 2005: Dublin, Ireland - The Point
May 04, 2005: Belfast, UK - Waterfront Hall
May 06, 2005: Glasgow, Scotland - Clyde Auditorium
May 09, 2005: Edinburgh, Scotland - Edinburgh Playhouse
May 13, 2005: Aberdeen, UK - Aberdeen Exhibition Centre
May 14, 2005: Manchester, UK - Carling Apollo Manchester
May 18, 2005: Birmingham, UK - NIA Academy
May 21, 2005: Plymouth, UK - Plymouth Pavilions
May 22, 2005: Brighton, UK - Brighton Centre
May 24, 2005: London, UK - Carling Apollo Hammersmith
May 27, 2005: Doncaster, UK - The Dome
May 28, 2005: Blackpool, UK - Opera House
May 29, 2005: Cardiff, UK - Cardiff International Arena
https://britneyinternational.tripod.com/tou...s101/id220.html
3am: GERI NO DATES; She postpones poor-selling tour.

Byline: WITH JESSICA CALLAN, EVA SIMPSON AND CAROLINE HEDLEY

GERI Halliwell's desperate attempts at reinventing herself to revive her ailing pop career have not gone to plan.

Confusing the few fans she has left, 32-year-old Geri ditched the camp vamp Christina Aguilera look and decided to rebrand herself as a serious singer-songwriter, like Dido.

But nothing seems to work.

Earlier in the week she ditched her manager. And last night she put on hold a 13-date tour of England and Ireland, after failing to sell out a single venue.

The gigs, planned for May, were to coincide with the release of her third solo album.

But her bosses at Innocent Records are said to be unhappy with it and have ordered her back in the studio to come up with new material.

"The plan was that Geri would release a single this month and put the album out in March," says our spy. "But they dropped off the release schedules.

"She's been working on her second solo comeback for more than three years now. It was scheduled for release last summer, there's no point her touring with just one single out."

It had all started so promisingly for Geri. She left The Spice Girls in 1998 and a year later released Schizophonic. In 2001 she put out a second album, Scream If You Wanna Go Faster.

Then it all went quiet.

She pulled out all the stops to relaunch her solo career last November.

To promote the camp disco single Ride It, she cantered through Soho on a horse before cavorting on stage at G.A.Y with barely-clad dancers. But it only sold 41,000 copies.

"She did a fantastic performance at G.A.Y in December dressed in a toga with half-naked dancers in an orgy-style setting," says our source.

"This has now all stopped. She has decreed that she wants to be taken seriously.

"But she's Geri Halliwell, not Dido! She should stick to what she does best, which is tongue-in-cheek, kitsch music and videos."

Geri has now parted company with manager Richard Thomp-son after six months and signed to Paul Conroy, who oversaw the launch of The Spice Girls. She has also turned to songwriters/ producers Korpi & Blackcell who have worked with Dannii Minogue. Ominously, Dannii parted company with Warners last May after her Neon Nights album failed to set the world on fire.

A spokeswoman for Geri said: "Currently in the midst of finishing her forthcoming album, Geri's new team have advised her to postpone her May UK tour.

"Innocent are excited about the new album and look forward to being able to promote it properly before Geri embarks on the tour."

We're not holding our breath.
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/3am%3a+GERI+...ur.-a0128504179

Fading pop singer Geri Halliwell now pins her comeback hopes on the launch of her new album as tour fails to materialise.Former SPICE GIRL Geri Halliwell was forced to postpone her debut solo British tour yesterday (09MAR05) because of poor ticket sales.The RIDE IT singer's record label cite recording commitments as the root cause of the postponement - but internet ticket-seller TICKETMASTER confirms all 11 dates in May (05) fell short of selling out.Before the news broke, a record label spokesperson said, "INNOCENT are excited about the new album and look forward to being able to promote it properly before Geri embarks on the tour."
https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/musicne...iwell-3422.html

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 29th June 2021, 03:18 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Yeah, I mean the press were at their most vile back then in regards to teh girls so no surprise that they treated this as a way to beat her with another stick!

Personally, Geri's fortunes had kind of already been decided after It's Raining Men, since her sales and charts had started to dwindle quite a lot. I mean, the Scream album sold poorly in comparison to her previous and that is after such a massive hit with IRM.

One could argue that after the year 2000, apart from the odd release that saw success, they as a whole were very much done too as pop artists who had 'chart success' and sold considerably. Throughout 2000 with so many solo projects and a fumbled release of Forever, maybe they just lost the appeal.

Obviously WTYSL and IRM did quite well. One could suggest that is because WTYSL is a bloody BOP and IRM was a cover of a highly successful song included in one of that year's biggest films promotions! Cos apart from those two, most of their songs failed to make much of a dent on the charts and sales wise...

ANYWAY!!! I dont think I would have ever attended a solo Geri concert but I would have loved to see videos/footage afterwards, for sure! Im sure she would do something interesting with it.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 29th June 2021, 05:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Didn’t the Brighton date sell out or did I imagine that? I am sure that’s a denden memory.

I think this tour was too ambitious and her management mishandled it badly. It should’ve been shorter maybe 5 or 6 dates just to test the waters.

The Tickled Pink gig seemed like a taster of what was going to happen, I’m sure it would’ve been fabulous sob.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 29th June 2021, 05:29 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I dont remember any selling out, much to the contrary, it was really low sales. Like, it was too ambitious.

For comparison, the Brighton date was scheduled for the Brighton Centre, which is a big place. Like, Lorde and big touring stars play there, so I am surprised that she thought she would sell it at all ah

I would have hoped she would have focused on theatres at least for a first tour, with some festivals attached to it as well. But she wanted to go all out and it fell flat...

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 29th June 2021, 05:29 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 29th June 2021, 05:46 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

I think the problem is Geri would easily have sold out those dates during her first album era and likely during the Scream era too... they approached it as if Geri was still on that level which of course she wasn't by this point...

Again this ties into the not expecting such a drastic fall to occur (for all the girls not just Geri). I mean all of Geri's, Emma's and Melanie C's albums by this point had gone Gold or Multi Platinum by this point and Mel B's and Victoria's were pretty much at the Silver marks... I think we all expected that Geri, Mel and Emma would continue to certify their albums and not go down to selling less than 20k.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 29th June 2021, 06:11 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I honestly dont think she would have sold out these venues even in the eras before. She wasnt known as a great singer nor as a great performer, so it's not accurate im afraid, specially after 2000/2001.

Mel C was able to tour successfully during Reason because she really built that audience and her career as a touring act back then. She toured so much with Northern Star - part of the reason as to why Reason took so long to release. But she did the ground work. She did the festivals, the theatre venues, etc.

Geri just assumed that she could jump into big venues, which is silly!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th June 2021, 06:39 PM
Post #30
Group icon

I'm not sure what Geri spent her time doing between Bag It Up and It's Raining Men (other than working on the second album of course, but that surely didn't take a whole year). I feel like 2000 was the year for her to put her toe in the water of touring, even if it had just been smaller venues. Melanie C definitely approached this correctly.

Sadly Geri's sudden ambition to become a live act was way too late.

I'm pretty sure her tickets were under £20, which wasn't unusual in those days, tickets were generally far cheaper than they are nowadays. I wish more information about that tour was accessible, but I guess it died with the deletion of DenDen (just like so many other random old bits of solo Spice news!). I seem to remember that some (or all?) fans weren't refunded, there was definitely some controversy on DenDen about it.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 29th June 2021, 06:55 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I recall her saying during the Schizophonic times that she wanted to tour but wanted to wait until she had released a second album so she had more material to work with.

Of course by the end of 2001 she was “spent” with the music industry so a tour in 2002 was sadly not going to happen.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 11th February 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #32
Group icon

A fan made documentary… 2 hours long(!):

+Quote this post
tommie
post 11th February 2023, 10:25 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Love that Gerita still incites such PASSION among fans x

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th February 2023, 12:46 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

That time away between album 2 era and 'Ride It' felt like forever, I guess because 2002 and 2003 were such crucial years in pop where so much changed in the landscape. It felt like somebody from yesteryear attempting a comeback.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 11th February 2023, 04:35 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Feb 11 2023, 10:12 AM) *
A fan made documentary… 2 hours long(!):

I was going through insomnia last night and had a little watch of this. It was sad how uninspired she was with this record, you could tell she was trying to establish herself as an artist that she is not, and fell flat on her face.

The 'An Audience with' interview was so sad cos you could tell she wasn't happy at all with how the record and herself were being received.

I think she, like the rest of the Spices, were kind of done in the public's eyes by the end of 2001. The only one who managed a bit more attention and appreciation from critics and the general public was Emma in 2003/2004 but even she fell flat too afterwards (and the increase in success wasnt that much bigger anyway!).

+Quote this post
Last Dreamer
post 31st March 2023, 09:07 AM
Post #36
Group icon
With Kristina in heart
User: 28,104

It's my favourite Geri's album and "Desire" is my favourite her single.

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 31st March 2023, 05:14 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Ian Masterson should’ve produced the entire album. Outwith the Absolute team he really knew what worked for Geri.

I’d love to hear more unreleased Masterson stuff from this time. wub.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post 31st March 2023, 05:26 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

She probably would've had more success if she went with the original Disco Sister idea, but then again everything was just a mess with Passion.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 31st March 2023, 07:11 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Whilst it is custom now for an artist to vanish for a couple of years after a 'flop' to get the comeback feel and tag. In the early 2000s the longer you were away the more forgotten and over you were.

In hindsight after Scream underperformed she should have been out with the next album 6 months after calling or at least the first single with a new sound and catchy song.

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 31st March 2023, 08:23 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

I just watched the documentary for the first time, and it's intriguing to see Geri's demeanor at different points within it. In the sit down interview with the audience, you can really see how defeated she felt when she got questions and compliments about Love Never Loved Me. You could tell she wasn't backing an album she was proud of. However, I appreciated her honesty about not "feeling" 100% Pure Love as a single because while the original is such a classic, her cover version would not have added anything new to it. Geri says so many times in this documentary how she didn't want to be a product of the sausage machine; she wanted to be different. Fully respect that. I just find there to be such irony that her third album called Passion (inappropriate title because she didn't seem to have any for that body of work) kind of went belly-up like the Spice Girls' third album (equally inappropriately called Forever).

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 10:43 AM