BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Emma Bunton - 'Life in Mono', 2006 • 3rd Album
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 23rd December 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

In other news - and maybe treat this as a Xmas gift - I should say that I have info that Emma's team are currently dealing with the rights issues for FM and LiM to get both albums on Worldwide streaming platforms (like they did with AGLM this year) AND they have discussed vinyl releases too but only after or even if the streaming is secured for those albums first.

So if the vinyls come at all, it will take quite a while, but there's a bit of hope for you on that front wub.gif Cant say much more (and dont know much more than that to be honest) but it comes from a reliable source that often deals directly with the girls!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 23rd December 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #22
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Would be a dream come true to have them on vinyl wub.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 23rd December 2020, 01:21 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Dec 23 2020, 01:16 PM) *
Would be a dream come true to have them on vinyl wub.gif

I seriously doubt that it will come to it, but I guess you never know. The rights issues with those two albums are hard because they were released semi-independently rather than the way that AGLM was, making it super hard to track everything for a worldwide release. Plus, it is not like LIM in particular was a successful album at all, so that makes it double hard.

BUT I think with a 'special edition limited to 3000 copies' type of announcement, I think they would sell out quite quickly. She sold out the copies for MHP vinyl so quickly at the time they made it more widely available as a consequence...

There is definitely a (admitely small) market for special editions of solo spice vinyls cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Pearll
post 23rd December 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #24
Group icon
New Entry
User: 115,976

Ahhh this is my second favourite Emma album after Free Me.

I love Life in Mono, Mischievous and Take Me To Another Town.

The fact that she's the last solo spice girl to have a top 10 in the UK... She was an amazing solo artist.

This post has been edited by Pearll: 23rd December 2020, 03:36 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 23rd December 2020, 04:39 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Pearll @ Dec 23 2020, 03:36 PM) *
Ahhh this is my second favourite Emma album after Free Me.

I love Life in Mono, Mischievous and Take Me To Another Town.

The fact that she's the last solo spice girl to have a top 10 in the UK... She was an amazing solo artist.

Mel C was #8 this year with her album but singles wise, yes this is true. Even the group's last single didnt make it to Top10

I do agree with all the rest though cheer.gif

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 23rd December 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 23 2020, 01:11 PM) *
In other news - and maybe treat this as a Xmas gift - I should say that I have info that Emma's team are currently dealing with the rights issues for FM and LiM to get both albums on Worldwide streaming platforms (like they did with AGLM this year) AND they have discussed vinyl releases too but only after or even if the streaming is secured for those albums first.

So if the vinyls come at all, it will take quite a while, but there's a bit of hope for you on that front wub.gif Cant say much more (and dont know much more than that to be honest) but it comes from a reliable source that often deals directly with the girls!

LIM finally going Silver with a vinyl release would be amazing.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 23rd December 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 23 2020, 07:41 PM) *
LIM finally going Silver with a vinyl release would be amazing.

Not sure it would to be honest but would be amazing if so!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 23rd December 2020, 08:55 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post 23rd December 2020, 10:34 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Life In Mono would need to sell over 6k copies to go Silver and that's just not going to happen. If Victoria Beckham and Hot can't get past the 60k mark and both having been out longer, Life In Mono has little shot of it.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 24th December 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

A really beautiful album from Emma but badly mishandled with singles etc. Downtown obviously got her a hit and was the last Spice hit in the UK etc etc etc, but it's quite poor really and the fact she didn't bother to perform it at her Royal Albert Hall gig despite it being a very well known song which also one of her singles probably shows that Emma thinks the same... laugh.gif It just doesn't match up to the original, as lovely as Emma's voice is she doesn't pack the punch for this song personally. Still it's nice I guess and got Emma a hit out of the album.

All I need to know is stunning, absolutely beautiful... but what a bad single choice!! It's one of those songs you need to let grow on you as in the beginning it is pretty but a bit boring and unless you're actually a fan of Emma you probably wouldn't give it the time of day (as nobody did lol). It's also not a good song for radio at all. Really Take me to another town was the obvious commercial catchy most likely to be a hit song to release on the album next. Mischievous I think would also have been a great single very Breathing style (another missed out single) and her voice sounds lovely on it. Perfect strangers and Undressing you also much better single options and two more great tracks.

I think following on from Free Me this album shows progression for Emma and it beautiful but not as commercial sounding as Free Me. Although I have stated above what I thought should be single, none of them really scream hit except maybe TMTAT. She could have done with having a couple more commercial tracks on there for an album campaign... not that she needed it as she abandoned it instantly.

1. All I need to know 10/10
2. Life in mono 7/10
3. Mischievous 10/10
4. Perfect strangers 9/10
5. He loves me not 5/10
6. I wasn't looking when I found love 6/10
7. Take me to another town 9/10
8. Undressing you 9/10
9. I'm not crying over yesterdays 6/10
10. All that you'll be 7/10
11. Downtown 4/10
12. Something tells me 5/10
13. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps 5/10
14. Por Favor 3/10

I often stop at track 10 when I listen to the album, as up to there it is a strong body of work, the last 4 tracks let it down tbh should've stuck to them as B-sides, with Downtown as the only bonus track.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 24th December 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Dec 23 2020, 10:34 PM) *
Life In Mono would need to sell over 6k copies to go Silver and that's just not going to happen. If Victoria Beckham and Hot can't get past the 60k mark and both having been out longer, Life In Mono has little shot of it.

Well the more active she is as a solo artist the more chance it has. Victoria and Mel B are going to sell nothing as they don't even try to. In the age of streaming keeping releasing content will help the back catalogue trickle sell. It's a long shot but who knows, stick a signature on those LIM vinyls in 2022 and make a big noise when it finally gets put up on streaming properly next year hopefully.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 24th December 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 24 2020, 12:49 PM) *
Well the more active she is as a solo artist the more chance it has. Victoria and Mel B are going to sell nothing as they don't even try to. In the age of streaming keeping releasing content will help the back catalogue trickle sell. It's a long shot but who knows, stick a signature on those LIM vinyls in 2022 and make a big noise when it finally gets put up on streaming properly next year hopefully.

Well, it's not like Mel C is shifting loads of her past studio albums is she? And Mel at least seems to try to keep her Red Girl albums in stock and available; even bigger artists like Madonna, Kylie and Britney doesn't shift a lot of their studio albums except the occasional boost from special editions and vinyl releases. In general people just won't go for a past studio albums when "discovering" a new artist; either they'll get the latest one or a greatest hits (which are becoming increasingly redudant due to streaming) when available.

Even if Emma did print 5k of Life In Mono and those sold out, the majority of those sales wouldn't go towards the UK (though I doubt she'd be able to sell 5k of a LiM vinyl tbh). Life In Mono has also been long gone from stock in stores and the bargain bins so those sort of casual sales are out too.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 24th December 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Dec 24 2020, 01:53 PM) *
Well, it's not like Mel C is shifting loads of her past studio albums is she? And Mel at least seems to try to keep her Red Girl albums in stock and available; even bigger artists like Madonna, Kylie and Britney doesn't shift a lot of their studio albums except the occasional boost from special editions and vinyl releases. In general people just won't go for a past studio albums when "discovering" a new artist; either they'll get the latest one or a greatest hits (which are becoming increasingly redudant due to streaming) when available.

Even if Emma did print 5k of Life In Mono and those sold out, the majority of those sales wouldn't go towards the UK (though I doubt she'd be able to sell 5k of a LiM vinyl tbh). Life In Mono has also been long gone from stock in stores and the bargain bins so those sort of casual sales are out too.

I actually thought Melanie C's albums had done ok trickle sales wise over the years. Like I remember Stages was on like 7k when it was last updated then it was over 11.9k this year when we got the update in May.

There is definitely a push on Emma's social media to keep reminding people she is an artist first and foremost. As we have seen from this topic too some effort is going on behind the scenes to sort out her back catalogue too.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 24th December 2020, 02:11 PM

+Quote this post
tommie
post 24th December 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Dec 24 2020, 03:08 PM) *
I actually thought Melanie C's albums had done ok trickle sales wise over the years. Like I remember Stages was on like 7k when it was last updated then it was over 11.9k this year when we got the update in May.

There is definitely a push on Emma's social media to keep reminding people she is an artist first and foremost. As we have seen from this topic too some effort is going on behind the scenes to sort out her back catalogue too.

The thing with trickle sales is that they seem to die out as soon as stores end up not having them in stock; casual buyers might pick up a Melanie C or Emma album if they see it in the bargain bin, or maybe even as a 2-for-1 offer along with the Greatest Hits. Once those bargain bin sales get done, so are the albums seemingly. Life In Mono is an example of that if you look at how it's sold over the years - in 2009 it had sold 50 726 copies and in the 2016 update it was at 53 510 copies. Selling almost 3k in seven years is impressive for a Solo Spice album - however, when you compare it to the 2020 update, it had sold 408 copies since 2016; barely 100 copies per year! Clearly, there were still copies lingering in stores between 2009 and 2016, but those copies are gone by 2020.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 24th December 2020, 02:50 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Dec 24 2020, 01:53 PM) *

I think Emma would be able to sell 5k vinyls of Life in mono (worldwide) I mean she sold what 3k of that Coming home for Christmas!

+Quote this post
tommie
post 24th December 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Dec 24 2020, 03:50 PM) *
I think Emma would be able to sell 5k vinyls of Life in mono (worldwide) I mean she sold what 3k of that Coming home for Christmas!

Eh, I think there's a bit of a difference between selling an expensive vinyl of songs available on cd and likely won't used for anything else but decoration and a cd single with two songs that aren't available elsewhere.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 24th December 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Dec 24 2020, 02:58 PM) *
Eh, I think there's a bit of a difference between selling an expensive vinyl of songs available on cd and likely won't used for anything else but decoration and a cd single with two songs that aren't available elsewhere.

Maybe 5k is a bit ambitious but certainly a few k. Not enough in the UK to get to 60k obviously. I would absolutely love Hot, VB and LIM to reach 60k though wish I could just buy 10k of each album lol

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th December 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Dec 24 2020, 04:42 PM) *
Maybe 5k is a bit ambitious but certainly a few k. Not enough in the UK to get to 60k obviously. I would absolutely love Hot, VB and LIM to reach 60k though wish I could just buy 10k of each album lol

Yeah, it would nice if Hot, VB and LIM could officially pass the 60k mark and Forever pass the 300k mark. Northern Star passing the 900k mark would also be pleasing. I doubt any of those things will happen in the near future though; even the Forever vinyls didn't exactly sell that well in the UK.

This post has been edited by tommie: 25th December 2020, 11:15 AM

+Quote this post
Eduardo
post 25th December 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 5,804

Her best album, specially because it's the one "All That You'll Be" is a part of.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th December 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Dec 25 2020, 11:13 AM) *
Yeah, it would nice if Hot, VB and LIM could officially pass the 60k mark and Forever pass the 300k mark. Northern Star passing the 900k mark would also be pleasing. I doubt any of those things will happen in the near future though; even the Forever vinyls didn't exactly sell that well in the UK.

It's madness but it is most probable that none of those things will happen within our lifetimes rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
tommie
post 26th December 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Dec 25 2020, 05:41 PM) *
It's madness but it is most probable that none of those things will happen within our lifetimes rolleyes.gif

If Mel C/her team pushed Virgin to release a special edition + vinyl to get Northern Star back in stores it *might* have a slight shot at reaching 900k (especially if they could get When You're Gone on there), but even that's a long one considering it's 7k off. As I said, the biggest issue for these albums is that stores doesn't stock them so people has to seek them out themselves, which of course only generates fan sales. At least Northern Star has two number one singles on it.

This post has been edited by tommie: 26th December 2020, 12:29 PM

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

3 user(s) reading this thread
Babyboy + 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 06:53 AM