BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Spice Girls - 'Step to Me', Finally available on digital/streaming + Lyric Video
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
schizo_spice
post 27th September 2022, 09:10 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Been nice relistening to Step to Me.

Was never a huge fave of mine but its growing on me upon rediscovery.

I dont think it would've really fit on the widely known version of Spiceworld though.it feels very tagged similar to Forever and Goodbye.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 28th September 2022, 03:07 AM
Post #22
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

It was suggested to me by Voodoo that Step to Me could have its own thread, and I thought that would be nice - so here we go!

Obviously with Step to Me being included on Spiceworld 25 it's fine if there's still some chatting about the song in that thread too, but at least it having its own individual thread should draw specific attention to the news that it's finally available to download and stream, and that it also has a lovely new official lyric video!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 28th September 2022, 03:17 AM
Post #23
Group icon

I'm happy that he was asked to do this, because he's the guy who has been responsible for all the recent Steps HD video releases, and he's done a great job of that - as he has done on Step to Me!

To celebrate the 25th anniverary of the chart-topping Spiceworld album, the Spice Girls released Step To Me on streaming platforms for the first time and asked us to produce the lyric video.

We drew inspiration from the Step To Me CD cover and built a tunnel of glowing concentric rings which the camera flies through to reveal the lyrics.

Each Spice Girl was given their own themed TV set - in bold 90s styling - to display tour footage provided by the record label.

And since the song was initially available as part of a soda promotion, we threw in some references to cola and the collectible pink ring pulls too.

The band's management was delighted with the final video, which has already gone down a treat with fans on YouTube.

+Quote this post
Rebel
post 28th September 2022, 04:25 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 140,886

Can he be hired to oversee all their socials and archives from now on please?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th September 2022, 03:02 AM
Post #25
Group icon

This didn’t really set iTunes alight unfortunately. I can’t remember the specific position but it only went to the high 30s, and now it’s already down to #121. So not much public interest. Not sure whether this will even be enough for it to go Top 100 in the official download chart.

Edit: First Spotify update is 8,220 plays.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 29th September 2022, 11:41 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

Hi Jay, I can only see the Top 5 on my phone. STM did 8k plays. Has it entered the top 10 yet?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 29th September 2022, 01:33 PM
Post #27
Group icon

QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Sep 29 2022, 12:41 PM) *
Hi Jay, I can only see the Top 5 on my phone. STM did 8k plays. Has it entered the top 10 yet?

Not so far unfortunately!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 30th September 2022, 11:34 AM
Post #28
Group icon

Now up to 22,280 and unfortunately not included on New Music Friday playlist, but maybe it was a long shot for it to appear on that.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 30th September 2022, 01:31 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Sep 30 2022, 11:34 AM) *
Now up to 22,280 and unfortunately not included on New Music Friday playlist, but maybe it was a long shot for it to appear on that.

Oh thats a shame, really thought it would but maybe because it is not technically a 'new song'? Feed Your Love was the first time released last year, whilst Step To Me had technically been released/heard before....

+Quote this post
tommie
post 30th September 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Sep 30 2022, 01:31 PM) *
Oh thats a shame, really thought it would but maybe because it is not technically a 'new song'? Feed Your Love was the first time released last year, whilst Step To Me had technically been released/heard before....

I think it more comes down to their social media team not being that great.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st October 2022, 09:48 PM
Post #31
Group icon

Spotify streams total is now 53,027. So far it's not made it into their Popular Top 10 list.

I haven't kept progress recently but I would assume Step to Me is currently getting more daily streams than Too Much or Goodbye, so there's a chance it could sneak into their Top 10 at some point?

Their "This Is Spice Girls" playlist really needs to be updated to include it, it being on there would be helpful. But it's not had any updates since 7th July 2021 unsure.gif Which is strange because a lot of "This Is" playlists get updated daily.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st October 2022, 11:59 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

I thought the streaming and download reaction would have been bigger for Step To Me.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 4th October 2022, 03:32 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Step to me has been added to the 'All out 90's' playlist on Spotify as track number 14. The playlist has 7.4m followers.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 4th October 2022, 04:10 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 4 2022, 03:32 PM) *
Step to me has been added to the 'All out 90's' playlist on Spotify as track number 14. The playlist has 7.4m followers.

nice! w00t.gif hopefully it will get a boost!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 4th October 2022, 05:22 PM
Post #35
Group icon

It appears that different people see different orders for this playlist, not sure why that is! It's 12th for me.

Yes hopefully it does give it a nice boost!!

+Quote this post
Sideout
post 7th October 2022, 10:35 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 113,700

Step To Me only achieved 110,000 streams in its first week. It should have found a home on the greatest hits album, not this lazy anniversary edition of SW.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th October 2022, 10:54 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

It's sad cos the launch was so flat. Step To Me is a BOP, one of my favourite live songs they do, and they should bring it back on the next tour!

But as a lead of the campaign for Spiceworld25 felt a bit flat. Like, it should have lead with Spice Up Your Life whereas Step To Me should have been given the proper EP release back in the summer, and then added to Spiceworld25 as a track and demo only.

I hope they release Spice Up Your Life live video on YouTube when they release the live insta grat! That would nice

+Quote this post
Piers
post 8th October 2022, 08:55 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I'm glad to see Step To Me is getting this little mini-renaissance...as I've long felt I liked it a lot more than the fanbase overall. While it's becoming synonymous with the Spiceworld era now, I haven't forgotten it was actually among the original Spice album demos. Knowing the material they had to choose from for Spice...I think they were right not to pick Feed Your Love (at least not on a ten-track version of the album). However. I, personally, would have put Step To Me on the album. It's punchy and immediately catchy. I actually think it's pretty surprising they sat on the song as long as they did. Not only did it not make the album cut...but it wasn't a B-side either. Granted, I don't know the full story with Step To Me. The girls were apparently already in negotiations with Pepsi in the fall of 1996. I guess it's possible they decided even back then they'd set that one song aside for a Pepsi campaign.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 9th October 2022, 05:59 PM
Post #39
Group icon

I guess I'd say Step to Me feels like a bridge between the Spice and Spiceworld eras. Its release as a Pepsi single makes it feel closer to the Spice era (and as you say, the fact that the demo comes from that album era), although it being performed in Istanbul and on TFI Friday during the Spiceworld era, and being included on the Japanese Spiceworld, does make it feel very Spiceworld as well.

It's interesting that the label has neglected to digitalise the version of the song that was included on Japanese Spiceworld though.

I wonder if they felt like it stylistically just didn't fit in on Spice? It would be interesting to know how they felt about the song in 1996 and if there had been any risk of it being left unreleased had the Pepsi deal not involved an exclusive song.

By the way, total Spotify streams are now 121,934. 11,014 streams achieved yesterday. Less than Goodbye which did 12,366 yesterday, so it doesn't look as though Step to Me will be able to make it into their Top 10 on Spotify. Unless it picks up more steam when Spiceworld 25 comes out.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 15th January 2024, 02:52 PM
Post #40
Group icon

Cute story!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/...97-28446159.amp

Dad finds Pepsi ringpulls from 1997 and claims his Spice Girls CD
Euan never expected to be able to claim the reward he saved up for 27 years ago

A dad has successfully redeemed the promotional Pepsi ringpulls he collected in 1997 - and amazingly still received the limited edition Spice Girls CD. Euan Robertson, now 37, painstakingly collected 20 pink ringpulls from drink cans in the 90s but forgot to send them off in order to get single Step To Me.

And nearly 27 years later he found them in an old box of Lego he pulled out of his parents house for his daughter, three. He jokingly tweeted Pepsi asking if they would still honour the promotion which at the time saw 600,000 fans collect ringpulls in exchange for the CD single.

And Euan was astonished when the brand send him the 90s CD single. Euan doesn't even own a CD player anymore - so has been enjoying the single using the player in his car.

The dad-of-one said: “I had a Spice Girls poster when I was younger but I wouldn’t say I was the biggest fan. "The Spice Girls album which came out in 1997 was the first CD I ever got and played on my first CD player.

“We were raking through the box of Lego and kept finding these Pepsi ring pulls. I instantly recognised what they were. I collected all of these little things but never did anything with them so I thought why don’t I send Pepsi a cheeky stupid tweet - a bit of a blast from the past.

“I was dead chuffed when it arrived - I was at a work night out, and when I got home I was pretty pleased it had finally come through the post. In terms of the CD, the track Step To Me is exactly what you’d want for a 90s girl power song with a catchy verse and lovely chorus.

“The remixes haven't stood the test of time – they’re a bit of their day but the actual track is fun to listen to.”

Fans had to collect twenty pink ring pull tabs from promotional Pepsi cans and send them off to receive the free Spice Girls CD single, which was not available in shops. He contacted Pepsi on X to ask if they would honour the deal, in November.

Pepsi replied saying they'd have a dig about and see if they could find one. Now he says his daughter and wife love the track and they put it on while driving.

Euan said: “They sent me a merchandise pack with the CD in it. I was expecting to be sent a box of Pepsi to say thanks for reaching out.

“We’ve since been having a Spice Girls binge on Spotify. My daughter is loving it – we're keeping girl power alive in 2023.”

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 12:33 PM