BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Solo Spice Careers - General Discussion, Back then... and now! Music and everything else they do...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
tommie
post 27th April 2023, 07:47 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Gerita is the thing of solo discussions, unlike Jesy "Bad Thing" Nelson.

Spice Girls set the print, will other girl groups follow it?

Stay tuned!!!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 27th April 2023, 08:55 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

That is the thing to remember, how many other girl groups have had all members achieve some real solo success? The girls don't get the credit for what the achieved on their own really. Yes none of them went on to be Beyonce or Diana Ross, but then that is an anomaly. Every single one of them achieved multiple top 10 singles, all of them certified a solo single silver or above, all but one had a solo #1 and all but one had a solo top 10 album.

The only downside is that they never had any real American success bar a few singles charting on the dance chart and I turn to you getting a grammy nod for a remix but that was for Hex Hector. They missed some real opportunities in the USA due to Virgin really.

When you're gone - would have been a great introduction to Melanie C as a solo artist and would fit very well on soft rock radio.
I want you back - a huge missed opportunity due to Missy Elliot tag, would have been the best solo introduction for any of the girls over there really.

Both of the above were because Virgin were apparently really awkward with allowing them to be released over there so they weren't...

Never be the same again with Lisa Left Eye and that RnB sound would have fit perfectly on radio and they never bothered to capitalise on I turn to you going to #1 on the dance charts and picking up airplay.

Hot... was clearly more geared towards the US market, and while I don't think it would have done much, it's a shame they never even bothered to try.

What took you so long... I actually think it could have been a decent radio hit, it has the country guitar sound that is very popular on certain radio stations over there.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 31st July 2023, 10:45 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

There is no appetite for Mel B music and her voice is not like it used to be sadly.

I say keep pushing the girls to do a new spice album.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st August 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Sacred3 @ Jul 31 2023, 11:45 PM) *
There is no appetite for Mel B music and her voice is not like it used to be sadly.

I say keep pushing the girls to do a new spice album.

You can say that about any legacy act though. I’m sure Mel B could have a small career ala Louise, Melanie C, even Sugababes where there is no chance of an actual hit single but a first week top 20 album is doable alongside performing at some small venues and places like Mighty Hoopla. All of the girls could have those careers off the back of the band alone.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st August 2023, 11:08 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 1 2023, 11:12 AM) *
You can say that about any legacy act though. I’m sure Mel B could have a small career ala Louise, Melanie C, even Sugababes where there is no chance of an actual hit single but a first week top 20 album is doable alongside performing at some small venues and places like Mighty Hoopla. All of the girls could have those careers off the back of the band alone.

This is very true, and it is why I dont care about them as solo artists anymore.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st August 2023, 04:18 PM
Post #26
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I wonder if the thought of it hasn't even crossed Mel's mind? Maybe her mindset is still back in how the industry was in the early 2000s... and she doesn't have the concept of how it's relatively easier nowadays to have a high charting album with lots of formats, with probably 10% of the effort that was required back in the day.

I agree that events such as Mighty Hoopla would be great for her too (and Emma... and Geri...) if they actually really wanted to relive their solo glory days, but apparently none of them particularly do.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st August 2023, 04:32 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Aug 1 2023, 05:18 PM) *
I wonder if the thought of it hasn't even crossed Mel's mind? Maybe her mindset is still back in how the industry was in the early 2000s... and she doesn't have the concept of how it's relatively easier nowadays to have a high charting album with lots of formats, with probably 10% of the effort that was required back in the day.

I agree that events such as Mighty Hoopla would be great for her too (and Emma... and Geri...) if they actually really wanted to relive their solo glory days, but apparently none of them particularly do.

I think they all struggle with understanding it because they are not really part of the industry. Even Emma is more a celebrity who occasionally does music, than a pop act. If she changed her team to be more on the vein of Mel C's, she would understand more of how the music industry works nowadays.

But none of them care enough. That is literally the problem. When promoting My Happy Place, Emma was asked about a tour on one of those fan Q&As she did on instagram, and she said shyly how she was up for it but only if it didnt take too much work... That's her vibe and you could see the lack of effort in her Christmas live shows since...

Mel B talked briefly after the 2019 tour about solo music and also about recording with the girls again. But again, they don't care enough to go through it.

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 1st August 2023, 04:33 PM

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 1st August 2023, 07:55 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 1 2023, 10:12 AM) *

No way. Love Mel B - but she’s no nowhere near the ones above (unfortunately).
Only Victoria could (I know it sounds fun, but she has a big name that could help her).

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st August 2023, 08:03 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 1 2023, 05:32 PM) *
I think they all struggle with understanding it because they are not really part of the industry. Even Emma is more a celebrity who occasionally does music, than a pop act. If she changed her team to be more on the vein of Mel C's, she would understand more of how the music industry works nowadays.

But none of them care enough. That is literally the problem. When promoting My Happy Place, Emma was asked about a tour on one of those fan Q&As she did on instagram, and she said shyly how she was up for it but only if it didnt take too much work... That's her vibe and you could see the lack of effort in her Christmas live shows since...

Mel B talked briefly after the 2019 tour about solo music and also about recording with the girls again. But again, they don't care enough to go through it.

By none of them you mean 4 of them... Melanie C is relentless in her music, touring, festivals and now even DJing.

I think Geri would have been doing Mighty Hoopla if she still had her 'showgirl' persona, it wasn't really a thing when she was still in that zone.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 1st August 2023, 10:41 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

None of the girls are really known as solo singers....apart from the hardcore fans. It won't ever work doing solo stuff for any of them. It only just seems to be working for Mel c, but she has been consistent.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st August 2023, 11:10 PM
Post #31
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I don’t think that’s true because apart from Melanie C and Emma, they’ve not actually tried releasing music in this day and age. With the support of hardcore fans buying multi formats, some Radio 2 support for a single, and some morning TV appearances, that is really all that’s required. I don’t think any pop festival or pride would turn them down either.

In theory it could work if it’s what they wanted to do. But either they don’t have the drive to do it or the awareness of what is possible these days.

Louise was away from music for 16 years and arguably the public wouldn’t necessarily have associated her as being a solo singer first and foremost anymore. But it’s something she wanted to do, she’s got two more Top 20 albums and has opportunities to perform live. It might not earn millions but it seems fulfilling to Louise. I wish any of the girls (other than Melanie C) felt the same!

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 2nd August 2023, 09:07 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Sacred3 @ Aug 1 2023, 10:41 PM) *
None of the girls are really known as solo singers....apart from the hardcore fans. It won't ever work doing solo stuff for any of them. It only just seems to be working for Mel c, but she has been consistent.

Yep, but she takes it seriously. She sings live, she tours, she DJs, accepts project related to music (Jesus Christ Superstar), she collaborates with other artists (Lisa Left Eye, Bryan Adams, Jessie J, Tove Lo..).

The others didn’t care. They were young and thought that making solo music was just like in the Spice Girls minus the crazy schedules. And that’s why they stopped: lack of passion and commitment.

Geri stopped being successful basically because of that. When she couldn’t rely any more on the gimmicks and stunts (Chris Evans says Hi), and she had to prove the she could tour, that’s when it all stopped, way before Passion.

Emma had potential. It’s a pity she didn’t bother investing on live credibility when her second album was doing well. She can sing, she’s got the look, she’s not stiff as other pop stars when it comes to dancing, pity.

Victoria and Mel B are the best ones to explain what I’m saying: they care(d) about success, money, and wealth. But I’ve never seen real passion there. Pity, Victoria has a pleasant voice and Mel B is THE DANCER.

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 2nd August 2023, 05:20 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

No one will ever be like Mel C and Geri again from the other girl groups maybe Cheryl was the last successful one the impact that Geri and Mel C had is deniable

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 2nd August 2023, 05:53 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Aug 2 2023, 05:20 PM) *
No one will ever be like Mel C and Geri again from the other girl groups maybe Cheryl was the last successful one the impact that Geri and Mel C had is deniable

I remember thinking Emma was the one going to be the solo star. At the end of the day, you don’t find another girl group where all members have had #1s, top10 albums, several top10 singles, and decent sales all over Europe. We should stop judging the girls solo efforts by the group standards.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 2nd August 2023, 05:55 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Blond 2.0 @ Aug 2 2023, 06:20 PM) *

This is not fair. Geri and Mel C clearly had success back in 1999/2000 but it didnt really go beyond that and they are not the first to go solo after group's success. There were many more examples of this prior to them and since which lasted for much longer with much bigger success, from Diana Ross, to Paul MacCatney and Beyonce. Also, Cheryl was only ever successful in the UK.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 2nd August 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 2 2023, 08:55 PM) *
This is not fair. Geri and Mel C clearly had success back in 1999/2000 but it didnt really go beyond that and they are not the first to go solo after group's success. There were many more examples of this prior to them and since which lasted for much longer with much bigger success, from Diana Ross, to Paul MacCatney and Beyonce. Also, Cheryl was only ever successful in the UK.

Melanie's success in continental Europe continued into the noughties.

Even nowadays, almost 25 years into her solo career, I don't think there's an active British former girl group member who is more in demand than her.

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 2nd August 2023, 06:22 PM

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 2nd August 2023, 08:03 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

They all had varrying degrees of success with solo music but to me these days it is all a load of pish apart from the new music Melanie C (and Emma) release.

Dj sets or Carfest/random festival are as boring as Kit and Kin or selling nappies to me.

I'll always give new music a listen and support it, it is probably the only thing Geri could do I would invest time or money in same with Mel B. Obviously it is nice to see them happy with whatever they all choose to do and earning money but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking anything they do these days solo wise isn't just D list stuff that Lisa Scott Lee or some random reality star is doing.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd August 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 2 2023, 06:55 PM) *

That's also unfair, Melanie C, Geri and Emma continued to have top 10 singles and albums which went Gold into the later mid 2000s decade too. Melanie was also achieving hits and some decent album sales in Europe at this point too.

Yes there have been other solo girlband members who have had greater and more long lasting success (not sure why Paul McCartney came into it lol) but that doesn't take away from what the girls did achieve solo wise. I mean no other British girlband has been featured solo on 32 top 10 singles?

Pop acts very very rarely last longer than a 5 year mark, the consumer public constantly moves on, the ones that manage to push past to those 10-20-30 years of massive success are truly exceptions to the rule, rather than the rule.

That being said, ALL the girls could be doing what acts like Melanie C, Natalie Imbruglia, Louise, Gabrielle etc etc do, releasing albums under multiple variants for the first week high, performing at festivals and prides and investing in keeping a singing career going on a small scale.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 2nd August 2023, 10:15 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Aug 2 2023, 11:52 PM) *
That being said, ALL the girls could be doing what acts like Melanie C, Natalie Imbruglia, Louise, Gabrielle etc etc do, releasing albums under multiple variants for the first week high, performing at festivals and prides and investing in keeping a singing career going on a small scale.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Melanie, Natalie and Gabrielle have all experienced massive success in the past. They've all sold millions of records as solo artists. They have all released Platinum-certified albums. Each of them has several hits that everyone knows and remembers.

They even had international success in their glory days. Arguably, they are somewhat "respected" in the music industry.

Mel B couldn't land a Top 10/15 album. She doesn't have the fanbase that Melanie and Emma have. That's the reason why LASOM failed to chart. We also know that her Spice individual vinyl was the least popular. So even if she produced 27 variants it wouldn't matter.

Secondly, she couldn't do the festivals that Melanie does. She doesn't have the back catalogue of hits + live credibility that Melanie has. Heck, she doesn't even sing live! Could you see her being invited to play Glasto?

A one time Mighty Hoopla mini-set (a la Lisa Scott Lee) is a different thing. That she could do. But that's it.

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 2nd August 2023, 10:45 PM

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 3rd August 2023, 11:30 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(Voodoo @ Aug 2 2023, 10:15 PM) *
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree.

Melanie, Natalie and Gabrielle have all experienced massive success in the past. They've all sold millions of records as solo artists. They have all released Platinum-certified albums. Each of them has several hits that everyone knows and remembers.

They even had international success in their glory days. Arguably, they are somewhat "respected" in the music industry.

Mel B couldn't land a Top 10/15 album. She doesn't have the fanbase that Melanie and Emma have. That's the reason why LASOM failed to chart. We also know that her Spice individual vinyl was the least popular. So even if she produced 27 variants it wouldn't matter.

Secondly, she couldn't do the festivals that Melanie does. She doesn't have the back catalogue of hits + live credibility that Melanie has. Heck, she doesn't even sing live! Could you see her being invited to play Glasto?

A one time Mighty Hoopla mini-set (a la Lisa Scott Lee) is a different thing. That she could do. But that's it.

This. Perfectly put.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:24 AM