BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack's Top Horror Films Of All Time: The Results, FINISHED | Come Check it Out & Comment!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 24 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Over the last few weeks, you have been voting for your favourite horror films of all time and now its time to count down the results (Probably counting down the top 100!). We will be starting soon (maybe as early as tonight!)

Any top 10 predictions from anyone would be great to see?!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post Oct 24 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664
Oop sorry I just saw your question in the last thread, Carrie was meant to be the original and House At The End Of The Street the remake but I don't mind too much if you've done it differently already.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 24 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Oct 24 2016, 09:29 PM) *
Oop sorry I just saw your question in the last thread, Carrie was meant to be the original and House At The End Of The Street the remake but I don't mind too much if you've done it differently already.

That's fine! I put Carrie down as the original for you and I'm not too sure if the latter film will matter too much at the moment!

Just need Froot to get back to me and then we will kick off!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
This will be starting in about an hour! Any top 10 predictions?

Also unlike the animation list, 5 films have made the list from only one vote! (And we also have quite a few unsplittable ties here, though all ties have managed to be split in animation!)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
=99. Ringu

98pts | 1998 | Japan
Top 20's: Severin (#3)

And we have three films kicking us off in joint 99th and these three films are three of the five films to make this list based on just one vote, a third place rank from Severin!

Ringu was released in 1998 and the film received major critical acclaim. Ringu was ranked #69th in Empire Magazines #Top 100 Best Films of World Cinema' in 2010 and has popped up on many best horror films of all time lists. Upon release in Japan, the film became the highest grossing horror of all time and it became Hong Kong's highest grossing film in the Japanese language (which wasn't beaten till 2015!). Ringu initiated global interest in Japanese cinema and coined the term J-horror! The J-horror resulted in further successful releases in Ju On: The Grudge & Dark Water.

The American remake- The Ring- was released 4 years later to similar critical acclaim! I have never seen the original but the remake is my favourite horror movie of all time so I should definitely check it out!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Oct 26 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
I really should re-watch this. The first time I watched it I had to stop after 15 minutes because I was finding it hard to concentrate on the actual film whilst trying to read the subtitles.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
=99. Repulsion

98pts | 1965 | United Kingdom
Top 20's: Haus (#3)

And we have the second of three films kicking us off in joint 99th, Roman Polanski's Repulsion, which received a third place rank from Haus!

The film was Polanski's 2nd feature film and debuted at the 1965 Cannes Festival. The film received critical acclaim and is considered to be one of Polanski's best. It was the first installment of the 'Apartment Trilogy' (Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant being the other two)! Repulsion was nominated for a BAFTA for cinematography! The film has an 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and Repulsion has inspired films such as Pi and Black Swan!

I had never even heard of this film before this list! Below I've linked Haus commentary on the film from his Top Horror Movies thread if you want to know more about this!
http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=5402166

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
=99. Fritt Vilt

98pts | 2006 | Norway
Top 20's: JackJones (#3)

And the final film of the three way tie kicking us off in joint 99th is Norwegian slasher Fritt Vilt, which received a third place rank from JackJones!

This is the first film released in my lifetime to make this list and I have never ever heard of it! The film has been hailed as one of the best modern Norwegian horror flicks and the film was the 9th highest grossing film in Norway in 2006! The film has been show at many American film festivals and was part of FrightFest in the UK in 2007! Two sequels were released in 2008 and 2010!

We have our first sequel appearing in 97th which will be revealed later!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 26 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Not swen any of those so far! Really need to catch 'Ringu' though!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
98. Evil Dead 3: Army Of Darkness

99pts (No Top 20's) | 1993 | America
Top 20's: None

And in our next tie, Evil Dead 3 comes out last due to it receiving no top 20's! (97th received one top 20, while joint 95th both received a top 2!). After this 4 way tie though, there are only two more ties that cannot be completely separated so not too many more of those to come!

Evil Dead III is the first of three films from the Evil Dead (the one that missed out came 184th, any guesses which one missed!)

Army Of Darkness is a 1992 horror comedy from future Spider-Man director Sam Raimi and received positive reviews and earned a profit, but both areas was less than the first two films! Since its video release, the film has required a cult following and the film was dedicated to Irvin Shapiro who died during the film's production. The film was original going to be titled The Medieval Dead but that was unable to happen (though this was used as the subtitle here in the UK!) The budget had to be increased during production as the original budget was too small for what was trying to be achieved! During post-production Universal were unhappy with the ending and wanted a happier ending filmed. Continuing the production problems, the film was originally stamped with an NC-17 rating when Universal wanted a PG-13 rating! Raimi made some cuts but the film only received an R rating instead.

The film won quite a few horror film awards and an Army Of Darkness 2 sequel is set to be happening at some time soon! This is another film I haven't seen (I've seen the next film coming up though!) but I do want to watch the Evil Dead franchise at some point!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Oct 26 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #11
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Groovy.

Such an iconic movie though, it never takes itself too seriously. "This... is my BOOM STICK!"

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 26 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
97. Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse

99pts (One Top 20's) | 2015 | America
Top 20's: UV (#14)

Next out during the tie is one of the most recent titles to appear on this list, Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse which received one top 20 (from myself)! Joint 95th also scored 99pts and that'll be coming up later tonight.

The film received a little bit below average reviews and completely bombed at the box office due to the box office strategy that was used (same happened with Paranormal Activity 5!). Paramount struck a deal with AMC Entertainment that the film would be available digitally 17 days after the film dropped below 300 theatres. However many cinema chains rejected Paramount's offer to release in VOD. The film ended up only opening in around 1,300 theatres due to many theatres so this made a loss box office wise! The film also included many great songs from '9 To 5' to 'Black Widow' to 'Baby One More Time' and I hope this can become a cult classic in the future!

I was really shocked to see this appear on the list and I'm utterly delighted! I went into this with really low expectations but found myself absolutely loving it and it is definitely one of my favourite horror-comedies of all time! It was just really fun and entertaining and I loved the cast (including future X-Men star Tye Sheridan, David Koechner who was in the really underrated comedy 'A Guy Thing' and more) and the plot! I'm still rly surprised it has made the top 100 but I'm glad it has and it would be great if more people checked this out!

+Quote this post
Severin
post Oct 26 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Sad to see Ringu so low, but I guess it's to be expected that most won't have seen it, given the remake.

Must check out Fritt Vilt

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
=95. Zombeavers

99pts | 2015 | America
Top 20's: Jacob (#2)

And in joint 95th we have Zombeavers which received a 2nd place finish from Jacob! This is a film about kids staying at a riverside cottage who are attacked by zombie beavers. Yes, this is actually a film!!

The films trailer was unveiled in February 2014 and unsurprisingly, went viral! The film trailer amassed over a million views in less than a week and the production company created several film posters parodying Awards Contenders such as 'Gravity' 'Her' and 'American Hustle'! The film received quite reviews and grossed just over $44,000 at the worldwide box office!

I'm just still laughing at the fact zombie beavers is a thing tbh, don't think I'll ever be watching this!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
=95. Deep Red- Profondo Rosso

99pts | 1975 | Italy
Top 20's: Jack Jones (#2)

And in joint 95th we also have Deep Red- Pronfondo Rosso which received a 2nd place finish from Jack Jones! This is the last the film to make this list which only received a vote from one member, from now on we will be starting to see a lot more recognisable film titles!

The film was a critical and commercial success and the director opened a retail movie memorabilia store named Profondo Rosso! The film never received a UK cinema release and has multiple cuts due to footage being removed and then there are uncut versions! In 2010, George A. Romero was approached to direct a 3D remake of Deep Red, but after finding out that he was told a lie about the original director being involved with the project, he declined and the project never saw the light of day!

Again this is probably another film I won't be checking out any time soon!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #16
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
94. The Purge: Election Year

101pts | 2016 | America
Top 20's: Ultraviolence1989 (#15)

Kicking off a run with no ties, the third and most recent entry in The Purge franchise enters at 94, receiving a top 20 from myself!

The Purge: Election Year is the third entry in the franchise and received mixed reviews, but became the highest grossing film of the franchise with a worldwide toll of $118M! The 3rd film saw some of the characters return from Anarchy instead of being a stand alone film like Anarchy was to The Purge! The film however underperformed at the UK Box Office, mostly due to a horrific late release date change which saw it delayed from its mid July release date at the last second to a crowded late August where it battled around 4 horror at one time (one of them coming up on this list very shortly!)

The Purge has definitely become one of my favourite horror franchises of all time and the third entry is another fabulous addition (I still prefer Anarchy though!). The plot and the characters are all developed really well once again (apart from that one bloody annoying one, you'll know who I mean if you've seen it!!) and I love how tense and scary the film still is! This was the first horror film I have ever seen in the cinema and I did scream out loud at one point and kept jumping kink.gif

Now will both the other Purge movies make the list or will either or both of them fall short?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
93. Halloween II

102pts | 1981 | America

Into 93rd place and we have our third sequel to make our list, Halloween II. The film is the second to pass the 100 point barrier and of course this is the 1981 sequel and not the 2009 sequel to the remake!

Halloween II picked up right at the end of the cliffhanger ending of the first film and was a box office success! The film received mix reviews with praise going to the scary moments but criticisms went towards plot hoels, uneven pace and muted character performances! Halloween II was meant to be the last chapter revolving around Michael Myers but after the lackluster reaction to Halloween III, he was brought back for Halloween 4! John Carpenter refused to direct the sequel as he had made the film once and didn't want to do it again! The film received some post-production problems between Carpenter and the director and the film was banned in West Germany cinemas! There are also many edits of the film and this won't be the last were seeing of the franchise in this list!

Another film I haven't seen but I do want to watch the Halloween franchise at some point as it looks really good!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 27 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #18
Group icon
User: 13,007
Groovy *.* Army of Darkness is mayhem :')

Repulsion <3 <3 Not just one of my favourite horror films, but one of my favourite films of all time. Absolutely terrifying, haunting and disturbing. A must see!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 27 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #19
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
The best 'Purge' film and although it's good, it's still not as good as the concept promises it to be, for me. Also HOW did 'Zombeavers' finish so high? It's actually as dreadful as it sounds. Me and my mates watched it as we like to watch films like that and 'Sharknado' when we meet up (the latter actually being so shit they're amazing sort of films) but this just missed the mark horrendously!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 27 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #20
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
92. The Lost Boys

105pts | 1987 | America

Into 92nd is the horror comedy starring Jason Patric, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim and Kiefer Sutherland, The Lost Boys! The film is about two Arizona brothers who move to California and end up fighting a gang of young vampires!

The film's title is a reference to the Lost Boys in J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan & Neverland stories, as like vampires, they don't grow up! The film received two direct-to-DVD sequels and was a box office success! The critical reception was generally good on the whole and the film is believed to have helped shift popular cultural depictions of vampires since the films release! A short novel accompanied the film and the direct to DVD sequels were released 21 and 23 years after the first film! The film has also sparked a miniseries of comics and the CW are developing a Lost Boys TV show so it looks like this film will be hanging around for a lot longer time!

Another film I haven't seen and I never knew what this was about till this list!

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:56 AM