BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pokemon: Gen 1 Rate Results
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Jan 15 2019, 12:16 PM
Post #1
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

Hey hey hey, come see where your favourite Pokemon placed, who has won our shit Pokemon list, and where all of Generation 1 rank according to your votes!

Starting with the first result shortly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 15 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #2
rip in peace Dickston
Group: Members
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Pikachu to not win

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 15 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Jan 15 2019, 09:32 PM) *
Pikachu to not win

I like the idea of everyone having piled on 'this is overrated!' in so many places that something innocuous like Nidorina wins.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 15 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #4
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Nidoqueen would be a good winner tbh laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 15 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

141 Electrode 4.792
142 Mr. Mime 4.792
143 Spearow 4.750
144 Paras 4.750
145 Fearow 4.708
146 Tentacool 4.667
147 Weedle 4.333
148 Voltorb 4.333
149 Metapod 4.083
150 Zubat 3.792
151 Kakuna 3.625

The bottom 10, rather unsurprisingly, starts with the intermediate stages of the Caterpie and Weedle evolutions. Kakuna leads off with the title of the worst Pokémon, probably for the reason of... well, who is going to give a decent score to bloody Kakuna of all things? It's literally just a cocoon... thing that is only extant in the game for a few levels for the sole purpose of hatching a usually underwhelming Beedrill. Barely even a Pokémon. Just two above Kakuna is the similar Metapod, who probably ranked a bit higher than Kakuna for having slightly more charisma. I'd say that 'charisma' is only due to that anime episode where two Metapod harden at each other for a whole afternoon while the two kids battling are too dumb to try anything else. Not that Metapod can learn anything else of course, but the ones I've used have always carried over their at least okay Caterpie moves. Regardless, when you're moving through Viridian Forest these two I'm actually pleased to see, as while they're tough for your low-level Pokémon to take down, they give decent experience compared to their level 1 counterparts, and they're not dangerous. But even still, who would ever give a high score to METAPOD?

In between them is a Pokémon we all love to hate, found in caves seemingly everywhere, Zubat, originator of the phrase 'goddamn bats', and eternal annoyance due to its Supersonic move that causes confusion... every few steps in any cave where they're present. No luck for Flappy Bat here, as it's deemed not even good enough to get an average of 4. Just above them, Voltorb wins no fans, probably because of its unimaginative design of literally being a Pokéball, and being a bitch to clear when they show up in the wild. Up at #141, its evolved counterpart, Electrode, which in an amazing triumph of art just flipped the colours, isn't deemed to be a whole lot better.

The first stage evolution of the worst Pokémon ever, Weedle, is at #147. Slightly more annoying than its counterpart Caterpie for not being as cute and also poisoning your Pokémon, it lands with the same score as Voltorb. Tentacool got dealt a really bad hand as it lands just one place above it, I'm not sure why it is thought to be so bad myself, having not really played too much into water stages on any of the games, but as a fairly generic swarmy water Pokemon that ironically, isn't particularly cool at all, I can see why it's not done better.

Useless bug Paras is at #143. Its anime episode was entirely about it being useless and actual proper Pokémon pretending to faint in front of it and letting it win while it got progressively cockier for the little shit it is, and if you get one in the games it is horrible to attempt to train up for very little reward, so I can agree with a bottom 10 placing here too. Clown Pokémon Mr. Mime isn't the most useless Pokémon out there, but he certainly enters the uncanny valley really badly, making him one of the most unsettling Pokémon to see in the anime. With no evolves, and not being particularly powerful in battle, he's not worth the creepy image you'll have to put up with. Finally, the two forms of the evolution Spearow > Fearow make up the last bit of the bottom 10. They're fairly unimaginatively designed birds, they're everywhere on early routes and while I actually find it quite useful to have early on with its level 1 Flying-type move, neither is exactly a Pokémon that is either cute or cool for fighting, being just rather angry-looking birds.

That makes 2 full evolution trees, plus Mr. Mime, out in the first batch, with the majority of Weedle's taken down too. I guess we're sticking the evolves close together, or are we?

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jan 15 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #6
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 15,367

Really surprised that both Spearow and Fearow are in the bottom 10, as well as Tentacool! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jan 15 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #7
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Well these results are going well rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jan 15 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Cody Underwood @ Jan 15 2019, 07:53 PM) *

Have you already lost a fave Cody? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jan 15 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #9

Next batch coming tomorrow, any predictions?

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jan 15 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cody Underwood @ Jan 15 2019, 11:53 AM) *
not a huge fave but I never understood the hate/general indifference for Fearow. Idk I just find it much more viable than Pidgeot

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 16 2019, 12:56 AM
Post #11
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cody Underwood @ Jan 16 2019, 07:09 AM) *
not a huge fave but I never understood the hate/general indifference for Fearow. Idk I just find it much more viable than Pidgeot

it’s just too ugly

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 16 2019, 03:33 AM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

Spearow is better at first, but I find the Pidgey line a lot more viable once you get past level 10 and especially evolve it. Pidgeotto/Pidgeot are powerhouses in the mid game and are some of the easiest evolves to get. Fearow I don’t think is as powerful and certainly isn’t as good looking. I should quantify on stats how they compare.

I don’t think it deserves bottom 10 though, it’s possibly the best early game bug obliterator.

+Quote Post
post Jan 16 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

Pidgeot is one of the best "easy find" pokemon you can find. An icon.

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jan 16 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #14

131 | Goldeen | 5.333
132 | Drowzee | 5.292
133 | Pidgey | 5.208
134 | Abra | 5.167
135 | Muk | 5.125
136 | Diglett | 5.083
137 | Grimer | 5.083
138 | Golbat | 5.000
139 | Rattata | 4.833
140 | Raticate | 4.833

For the most part Izzy we are still keeping the evolutions fairly close to each other!

First up tonight we have the pesky rat Pokemon Rattata, and its evolution Raticate. Found on almost every single route in the first-generation games, Rattata is well known for being fodder of the Youngsters in the Pokemon world. Surprisingly they both get the exact same average score in this; Raticate must leave SUCH a mark on people after evolving…

In at a surprising #138 is Golbat, who I thought might have cracked the top 100 mainly due to its evolution, Crobat, being quite popular in competitive gameplay. With an even 5.0 average it easily outshines Zubat.

Grimer and Muk slime their way into #137 and #135 respectively. Arriving late in the games and only really having one episode of note in the anime it’s understandable that these two may have been forgotten! Popping up in between them at #136 is Diglett. Probably more well known for its memes than its ability, at least this Pokemon actually has a location named after it (albeit completely pointless once the player gets access to Fly…

Perennial teleporter Abra makes a lowly appearance in this rate at #134 (I wonder why?...), and its only redeeming factor is how OP its final evolution Alakazam is in this first generation (it’ll be a while before we get to him though).

A very surprising early appearance for Pidgey here at #133. Possibly another that, like Rattata, was marked down for being shoved down our throats too much in the early parts of the game, it at least offers a better evolutionary line than its more rugged cousin Spearow (as evidenced in the comments above).

Finishing up this part of the rate are Drowzee (#132) and Goldeen (#131). I’m actually a bit surprised that Drowzee finished lower than its evolution Hypno (and how high he seems to be) but Goldeen is probably where I would have put her. She’s OK I guess but so non-descript compared to some of the other Water Pokemon. At least she has that iconic chant in the anime.

Goldeen, Goldeen, Goldeen, Goldeen…

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post Jan 16 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

you think that goldeen video is nuts check out victreebell screaming for 10 hours

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jan 16 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Oliver @ Jan 17 2019, 02:32 AM) *
Rattata is well known for being fodder of the Youngsters in the Pokemon world.

They can't all be in the top percentage of Rattata!

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 16 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #17
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Awww, I loved the mystery of Abra and Drowzee was pretty cool too. Basically, all psychic types have the intrigue factor enough for me to like them. WTF at Diglett too, they're so adorably cute and tough fighters as well, better than the scary Dugtrio.

Viridian Forest is absolutely painful with training Caterpie/Metapod up, especially given in some cases you need Butterfree before the next gym!

I always got so sick of Rattata (and Pidgey) but I hadn't realised that they're actually pretty tough, Hyper Fang is a beast!

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Jan 17 2019, 04:37 AM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

Abra looks cool but is bad when you get it and so awful to catch. However, a good set of anime episodes surrounding it in Indigo League.

Yeah, Rattatas can be pretty good but they are so slow to train to a point where it is good I normally don't bother. Mine are the 99%. And not having a weakness except for Fighting (which I always find hard to get on my team as the early Mankeys faint at the sight of their own shadow and you don't get anything else until a lot later) makes them a bit of a pain to battle as having a Rattata on either side, doing and receiving Normal damage, turns most moves into a 1x-exercise. I much prefer playing Pokemon off as a rock-paper-scissors simulator and Rattata is just the boring jack-of-all-trades thing that stops that and slows the game down.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 17 2019, 06:38 AM
Post #19
rip in peace Dickston
   No Gallery Pics

Iirc Rattata doesn’t even get good coverage outside of its STAB Normal moves does it? There’s Bite which is a big one but Dark didn’t exist in Gen 1 and it’s not that helpful in Let’s Go with only 1 psychic family.

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jan 18 2019, 03:36 AM
Post #20
The Lady Said Go Home!
Member No.: 20,835

Sorry guys Next batch will be up tomorrow,, feel free to predict what is next out biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:42 PM