BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Ansel's 2023 in Review, my top artists, albums and songs of 2023!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ansel
post 12th January 2024, 08:49 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 106,739

QUOTE(Lunar @ Jan 11 2024, 09:57 PM) *
Hey Ansel! hi.gif big catch up but here are my favourites so far:

get him back! - Olivia Rodrigo
Can’t Catch Me Now - Olivia Rodrigo
River - Miley Cyrus
Houdini - Dua Lipa -> such a great start to the new era and has me SO excited for what's still to come *.*
Back To December - Taylor Swift -> absolute classic, one of my highlights of Speak Now for sure
Flowers - Miley Cyrus -> though I definitely share your thoughts in terms of becoming a little sick of it unfortunately!

Endless Summer Vacation, GUTS & My 21st Century Blues are my favourites from your top albums and great to see RAYE, Taylor & Troye appear in your top 10 artists too. wub.gif

Looking forward to seeing your top 50! <3

Taste! Love all the songs you've mentioned - super excited for what Dua brings this year! And Back To December really is such a Taylor classic.

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 11 2024, 10:13 PM) *
Oh 'Tears can be so soft' was my favourite from that era wub.gif have you heard his version of 'Stayin Alive'? It was in my release radar last week and it's oddly compelling laugh.gif

'Back To December' is a fab Speak Now pick <3 I remember that and 'The Story of Us' being my favourites when the album originally came out and still love them both!

I discovered 'I Been Young' via 6Music and was thrilled it got sent to BJSC and did so well heart.gif totally agree that it has a 90s boyband charm to it, especially coupled with the video!

That anecdote about 'Flowers' is cute! Totally agree about the overplay though, at its peak I remember hearing it 4 times when out and about while I was getting my hair done laugh.gif

Yes, I did quite enjoy his version of Stayin Alive! Unexpected but fun. Ooh The Story Of Us is a great choice too, really got into that with the Taylor's Version. I Been Young was a welcome different sound and ah, I guess we all suffered from a Flowers overload at some point laugh.gif

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 11 2024, 10:30 PM) *
'SOS' is a fun tune, I'd made the 'Herz an Herz' connection but hadn't clicked that Domiziana also appeared on a BJSC song I had given points to in 'Ohne Benzin'. I got the same email about D-Block Europe laugh.gif 'Sun Comes Up' and 'I Might Be Fake' are both great - shame about Radio 1 causing the BJSC veto for the latter as that might have done quite well!

Phew, glad I wasn't the only one getting the DBE email laugh.gif definitely bad timing with I Might Be Fake, I do think people would've enjoyed the throwback 00s sound of it!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 12th January 2024, 08:51 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

50. mariposas - sangiovanni ft. Aitana
For a time 'mariposas' was (briefly, until When in Rome in the very next edition) my most successful BJSC entry, and it's a song I've really enjoyed this year despite actually never charting it. I heard it on the radio in Spain at the end of 2022 and it continued to soundtrack my 2023, also introducing me to Aitana. Interestingly it's actually a remix of 'farfalle', a song sent to Sanremo by sangiovanni, with the majority of the lyrics translated into Spanish other than the bridge.

49. Black Mascara. - RAYE
Black Mascara is a song that lays everything bare, in which Raye addresses a man who treated her badly. I wish they'd pushed this after the success of Escapism, because I think it has a similarly dark but club-ready sound and feels like a lyrical continuation.

48. A&W - Lana Del Rey
A&W starts off vulnerable and reflective, with Lana singing about her childhood and living out of hotels. She talks about "the experience of being an American whore", a character she's played with throughout her career. These lyrics repeat and distort, until the song changes entirely. An R&B beat and "Jimmy Jimmy cocoa puff" lyrics take its place, creating a really interesting song of two halves that builds into something huge and dramatic.

47. I Believe - Caroline Polachek
This song is dedicated to the incredible producer SOPHIE who we sadly lost in 2021. The lyrics address her passing - "I don't know but I believe we'll get another day together", and Caroline's trademark vocal wailings convey the agony of that loss. Caroline has described the song as a love letter to opera and big vocalists like Celine Dion, and that influence can certainly be seen, down to the impassioned call to "feel my embrace".

46. Moonlight - Kali Uchis
Moonlight was a huge #1 for me at the start of the year, spending 4 weeks on top - despite that, I stopped listening to it quite quickly which explains how low down it is here! Despite that, I really enjoyed seeing it sneak into the lower reaches of the UK chart, a welcome bilingual hit for Kali following 'telepatía'.

45. Boy’s a liar - PinkPantheress
While it's far from PinkPantheress's first hit, 'Boy's a liar' definitely pushed her up into the big leagues. I took a while to warm to the Ice Spice remix but I actually think it's really fun and both artists clearly have great chemistry together. The production is also really cute, with a little chiptune motif that feels straight out of an old video game.

44. Last Orders - Joesef
Joesef really embodies the British soul sound that felt inescapable in the mid 00s, but brought into the modern day. Last Orders is a song about still thinking about someone even as you know you're leaving them behind, with grounded lyrics about scrolling through your phone and having a "face as cold as the iamspamspamamifloor" which makes it all feel relatable and realistic.

43. Enchanted - Taylor Swift
Enchanted is a beautiful song and one that I'm so glad has belatedly turned into a Taylor classic. It really does capture that fairytale feeling that Speak Now is all about, with cautious verses leading into a big explosive chorus. We see right into Taylor's mind through lyrics like "please don't be in love with someone else" and truly feel the nerves and excitement associated with meeting someone for the first time.

42. Green Honda - BENEE
There is an important rule in music, the Vroom Vroom principle, which states that songs about cars tend to be bangers. This is no exception, a high energy song that makes you feel like you're racing along with BENEE as she drops attitude-filled lyrics about leaving someone in your dust.

41. 4EVA - KAYTRAMINÉ ft. Pharrell Williams
KAYTRAMINÉ is the supergroup made up of KAYTRANADA and Aminé, and they launched their collaborative album with this song alongside Pharrell Williams. It's a great summery funky tune with each of the three artists working to their strengths.

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 12th January 2024, 09:07 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723

Hi Ansel!

Really like almost all of the artists of the year category, except #9 (because I haven't heard much of her, sorry.), I also like "The Loveliest Time" being your album of the year.

And from your songs of the year list, here are the songs that I like:
99. Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53 - Bizarrap & Shakira
98. get him back! - Olivia Rodrigo
95. Can’t Catch Me Now - Olivia Rodrigo
90. River - Miley Cyrus
89. Running Out Of Time - Paramore
88. Is It Love - Loreen
85. Sunset - Caroline Polachek
83. Psychedelic Switch - Carly Rae Jepsen
76. Houdini - Dua Lipa
68. Aeroplanes - Carly Rae Jepsen
57. Flowers - Miley Cyrus
56. Shy Boy - Carly Rae Jepsen
53. Prada - Cassö ft. RAYE & D-Block Europe

Great list so far!

Can't wait for the rest!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 13th January 2024, 08:07 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Houdini, DOGTOOTh and Boy's a liar are all great wub.gif

I'm especially happy to see some more love for 'DOGTOOTH'. Tyler has been on top form for so long and it's just another classic from him.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 14th January 2024, 12:36 PM
Post #45
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

87. Eat The Acid - Kesha
76. Houdini - Dua Lipa
74. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Lana Del Rey
73. Zone 1 to 6000 - Nabihah Iqbal
72. ghosts - yeule
70. Tears can be so soft - Christine and the Queens
66. Full of life - Christine and the Queens
65. SOS - Domiziana ft. Blümchen
62. I Been Young - George Clanton
61. Out Of Time - Slayyyter
48. A&W - Lana Del Rey

Hey Ansel 👋 here's my faves so far! Love those 2 picks from Caroline especially 'Sunset' with its ikonec "OoooOooOoooHhoo" ad libs, although 'I Believe' is probably the best album track (if not the best). 'ghosts' is really nice subtle moment on the yeule album.

Oh my god @ 'SOS', I have been playing the Baran Kok remix of it so much lately, what a TUNE funky.gif Was tempted to send it to BJSC but then discovered that both artists recently went top 10 with different songs and it probably would get vetoed tearsmile.gif Yay for 'Out of Time' getting some recognition! A really underrated (on this site at least) polished pop gem.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th January 2024, 11:52 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

'mariposas', 'Enchanted' and 'boys a liar' are all great from that last lot!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 15th January 2024, 10:35 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 12 2024, 09:07 PM) *
Hi Ansel!

Really like almost all of the artists of the year category, except #9 (because I haven't heard much of her, sorry.), I also like "The Loveliest Time" being your album of the year.

And from your songs of the year list, here are the songs that I like:
99. Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53 - Bizarrap & Shakira
98. get him back! - Olivia Rodrigo
95. Can’t Catch Me Now - Olivia Rodrigo
90. River - Miley Cyrus
89. Running Out Of Time - Paramore
88. Is It Love - Loreen
83. Psychedelic Switch - Carly Rae Jepsen
76. Houdini - Dua Lipa
68. Aeroplanes - Carly Rae Jepsen
56. Shy Boy - Carly Rae Jepsen
53. Prada - Cassö ft. RAYE & D-Block Europe

Great list so far!

Can't wait for the rest!

Hey Sergej! Glad you liked all those - more to come from quite a few of those artists.

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Jan 13 2024, 08:07 PM) *
Houdini, DOGTOOTh and Boy's a liar are all great wub.gif

I'm especially happy to see some more love for 'DOGTOOTH'. Tyler has been on top form for so long and it's just another classic from him.

Yes at the DOGTOOTH love! Such a tune wub.gif

QUOTE(k👠th @ Jan 14 2024, 12:36 PM) *
87. Eat The Acid - Kesha
76. Houdini - Dua Lipa
74. Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Lana Del Rey
73. Zone 1 to 6000 - Nabihah Iqbal
72. ghosts - yeule
70. Tears can be so soft - Christine and the Queens
66. Full of life - Christine and the Queens
65. SOS - Domiziana ft. Blümchen
62. I Been Young - George Clanton
61. Out Of Time - Slayyyter
48. A&W - Lana Del Rey

Hey Ansel 👋 here's my faves so far! Love those 2 picks from Caroline especially 'Sunset' with its ikonec "OoooOooOoooHhoo" ad libs, although 'I Believe' is probably the best album track (if not the best). 'ghosts' is really nice subtle moment on the yeule album.

Oh my god @ 'SOS', I have been playing the Baran Kok remix of it so much lately, what a TUNE funky.gif Was tempted to send it to BJSC but then discovered that both artists recently went top 10 with different songs and it probably would get vetoed tearsmile.gif Yay for 'Out of Time' getting some recognition! A really underrated (on this site at least) polished pop gem.

Wow thanks Kath, so many faves cheeseblock.png SOS is such a tune, love that remix too! Would be here for a cheap Kathaldazia moment tbh x

QUOTE(Roba. @ Jan 14 2024, 11:52 PM) *
'mariposas', 'Enchanted' and 'boys a liar' are all great from that last lot!

Glad you liked those songs, mariposas especially is so underrated!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 15th January 2024, 10:54 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Now that we're into the top 40 I'm adding a few more stats and extra YouTube links! Enjoy x
40. Got Me Started - Troye Sivan
Troye's latest era has been so fun to witness (spoiler: I loved it enough that there's 2 songs yet to come!) and this was no exception. It's a more chilled-out late night type of track compared to Rush, and uses its sample surprisingly well. The dance is already iconic - if it's good enough for Timothée Chalamet and the combined forces of Boygenius, it's good enough for me!
Troye's EOY history:
2020 89 Easy
2020 90 IN A DREAM
2023 40 Got Me Started

39. One That Got Away - MUNA
MUNA had an incredible 2022 with their self-titled album proving to be perhaps their best work yet. They followed this up with One That Got Away - a stomping anthem with Janet Jackson-style percussion stabs. It's a huge tune and - despite their already elevated star following their last era - shows that MUNA deserve to be even bigger.
MUNA's EOY history:
2021 08 Silk Chiffon (ft. Phoebe Bridgers)
2022 02 Home By Now
2022 10 What I Want
2022 21 Anything But Me
2022 70 Kind Of Girl
2023 39 One That Got Away

38. Echolalia - Yves Tumor
This song introduced me to Yves Tumor and I've loved everything since (though it's definitely stayed my favourite). The title itself is a term for a repeated speech pattern, which is reflected in a sort of grunted sound that repeats throughout the song and turns into an almost bassline. It's a really funky song that does in fact get stuck in your head.
Yves Tumor's EOY history:
2023 38 Echolalia

37. Escapism. - RAYE ft. 070 Shake
Escapism just snuck into last year's EOY at #97, but has had a much bigger 2023. I love that it turned into such a big hit for RAYE considering how much of a swerve it is from her previous label-approved dancier fare, and I'm sure it must've been hugely affirming to see such success for the sort of music she really wanted to make.
RAYE's EOY history:
2022 97 Escapism. (ft. 070 Shake)
2023 37 Escapism. (ft. 070 Shake)
2023 49 Black Mascara.
2023 53 Prada (with cassö & D-Block Europe)

070 Shake's EOY history:
2022 97 Escapism. (with RAYE)
2023 37 Escapism. (with RAYE)

36. Tattoo - Loreen
Last January I don't think I would've expected to see Loreen in my EOY top 40! But Tattoo is such a deserved Eurovision winner, a huge spectacle on stage and an incredible dramatic song otherwise. It's not my absolute Eurovision fave from 2023, as you'll see later, but I can't deny it is an all-time classic.
Loreen's EOY history:
2023 36 Tattoo
2023 88 Is It Love

35. Al menos ahora - Marc Seguí
This song flopped a bit in the BJSC Foreign Language spinoff but it's a favourite of mine. It's a pop-rock track about a failed and possibly toxic relationship (because is there anything else pop-rock songs are allowed to be about?). I think I just happened to listen through the Spanish NMF playlist that week and got into it, so I'm glad I did and should probably do so more often!
Marc's EOY history:
2023 35 Al menos ahora

34. Novi plan drugi san - Filip Baloš
'Novi plan drugi san' is another BJSC discovery via Serbia's national Eurovision final (judging from the holy trinity of this, Konstrakta and Luke Black, I need to start paying it more attention!). I wish it had made it to Eurovision as I can just imagine how well it would've gone down, with fast-paced lyrics and an infectiously vogueable post-chorus.
Filip's EOY history:
2023 34 Novi plan drugi san

33. Kamikaze - Carly Rae Jepsen
Carly is known for emotional pop perfection and this is no exception. It feels like a continuation of Anxious from The Loneliest Time, with confessional lyrics delivered with a sense of caution (the verses are breathy and restrained before a chorus where Carly asks uncertainly, "you mind if I need to come kamikaze crash into your way?"). It's an instant highlight and a Carly classic.
Carly's EOY history:
2020 03 Trouble in the Streets (with BC Unidos)
2020 10 Summer Love
2020 25 Comeback (ft. Bleachers)
2020 47 Want You In My Room
2020 59 This Love Isn't Crazy
2020 69 Never Get to Hold You
2020 73 Julien
2020 98 Let's Be Friends
2022 28 Western Wind
2022 34 The Loneliest Time (ft. Rufus Wainwright)
2022 36 Anxious
2022 41 Talking To Yourself
2023 33 Kamikaze
2023 56 Shy Boy
2023 68 Aeroplanes
2023 83 Psychedelic Switch

32. Spalarkle (Alys) - felicita ft. Caroline Polachek
Spalarkle is a stomper of a track. The instrumental is pounding and intense, and features Caroline singing absolute nonsense ("mantis with a radish, dashing"). The repeated cry of "Alys!" has tones of Alice in Wonderland, and it's fair to say this song sounds like a descent into madness.
felicita's EOY history:
2023 32 Spalarkle (Alys) (ft. Caroline Polachek)

Caroline's EOY history:
2020 11 La vita nuova (with Christine and the Queens)
2020 99 So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings
2021 16 Bunny Is A Rider
2021 47 Breathless
2021 96 New Shapes (with Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens)
2022 04 Billions
2022 26 Sunset
2022 96 Welcome To My Island
2023 32 Spalarkle (Alys) (with felicita)
2023 47 I Believe
2023 85 Sunset
2023 93 Dang

31. Kill Bill - SZA
Kill Bill was a deserved massive hit for SZA, and I feel it's firmly cemented her as a huge star. I love that it's a bit tongue in cheek and overdramatic, taking delusion to the next level by turning post-breakup jealousy into murderous intent. It's definitely the opposite of some of the more peaceful tracks on the album like the gorgeous Good Days, but still infinitely singable!
SZA's EOY history:
2021 04 Good Days
2023 31 Kill Bill

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 16th January 2024, 08:06 AM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Great to see "Escapism.", "Tattoo" and "Kill Bill" on here!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 16th January 2024, 06:44 PM
Post #50
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Tattoo was of course such a triumph, amazing song brought to life with incredible staging and powerful vocals! Got Me Started is a bop too, I preferred Troye's other two singles last year though.

+Quote this post
jimwatts
post 16th January 2024, 08:32 PM
Post #51
Group icon
my mind is ready for fun
User: 38,591

Those three big hits Sergej mentioned are fabulous *.* and I wish 'A&W' had the chart success that 'Say Yes To Heaven' did, as cool as that was. 'One That Got Away' was the first song I noticed from MUNA, very Rhythm Nation era Janet in sound.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 18th January 2024, 09:02 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

As with everyone above I'll mention Tattoo! tongue.gif A fairly decent song and definitely my favourite of the contenders to win Eurovision, the fact it did so well officially was an added bonus on top!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 18th January 2024, 09:48 PM
Post #53
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

From the last batch my faves would be 'Escapism', 'Tattoo' and 'Novi plan drugi san'. 'Got Me Started' is alright but the other two were better!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 18th January 2024, 10:12 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 16 2024, 08:06 AM) *
Great to see "Escapism.", "Tattoo" and "Kill Bill" on here!

Glad you liked those! More SZA to come happy.gif

QUOTE(JosephChalamet @ Jan 16 2024, 06:44 PM) *
Tattoo was of course such a triumph, amazing song brought to life with incredible staging and powerful vocals! Got Me Started is a bop too, I preferred Troye's other two singles last year though.

Such a moment, it just felt like an instant winner with that performance! Agreed on Troye, both his other two are on their way laugh.gif

QUOTE(jimwatts @ Jan 16 2024, 08:32 PM) *
Those three big hits Sergej mentioned are fabulous *.* and I wish 'A&W' had the chart success that 'Say Yes To Heaven' did, as cool as that was. 'One That Got Away' was the first song I noticed from MUNA, very Rhythm Nation era Janet in sound.

Ugh yes, Say Yes To Heaven is great but I love that A&W is a little less conventional! Glad you got into One That Got Away, you might also like Anything But Me which has a similar sound?

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 18 2024, 09:02 PM) *
As with everyone above I'll mention Tattoo! tongue.gif A fairly decent song and definitely my favourite of the contenders to win Eurovision, the fact it did so well officially was an added bonus on top!

Tattoo is worth every mention laugh.gif while it wasn't my absolute favourite it's undeniably such a showstopper!

QUOTE(Roba. @ Jan 18 2024, 09:48 PM) *
From the last batch my faves would be 'Escapism', 'Tattoo' and 'Novi plan drugi san'. 'Got Me Started' is alright but the other two were better!

Glad you liked all those! More Troye coming right up happy.gif

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 18th January 2024, 10:20 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

30. bad idea right? - Olivia Rodrigo
'bad idea right?' is a real departure from the ballads that Olivia's first era was mostly known for. The most interesting thing on Sour for me was 'brutal', and these two songs have a lot in common. The lyrics are fun and tounge-in-cheek ("just tripped and fell into his bed"), and the chorus is perfect for shouting at the top of your lungs.
Olivia's EOY history:
2021 25 deja vu
2021 35 good 4 u
2021 46 drivers license
2021 90 brutal
2023 30 bad idea right?
2023 95 Can’t Catch Me Now
2023 98 get him back!

29. What’s The Time Where You Are? - Troye Sivan
This album track from Troye is an ode to long distance relationships, and trying to imagine how the other person is going about their day in another timezone. I really love what Troye said about the inspiration for this song - the title is a question you could easily Google but instead it's about making that connection and keeping the conversation going. The production is also really fun: threaded throughout the song is a spoken sample ('Anoche, una puta locura') which helps build the party atmosphere.
Troye's EOY history:
2020 89 Easy
2020 90 IN A DREAM
2023 29 What’s The Time Where You Are?
2023 40 Got Me Started

28. Anything To Be With You - Carly Rae Jepsen
Anything To Be With You is the opening track from The Loveliest Time, and it's an absolutely cacophonous intro to the album's eclectic sound. The repeated 'Never over' chorus is almost eerie and strained, while the verses descend into walls of clashing sound. It's noisy and fun, with a slightly retro charm, and easily one of the most exciting thing's Carly's done.
Carly's EOY history:
2020 03 Trouble in the Streets (with BC Unidos)
2020 10 Summer Love
2020 25 Comeback (ft. Bleachers)
2020 47 Want You In My Room
2020 59 This Love Isn't Crazy
2020 69 Never Get to Hold You
2020 73 Julien
2020 98 Let's Be Friends
2022 28 Western Wind
2022 34 The Loneliest Time (ft. Rufus Wainwright)
2022 36 Anxious
2022 41 Talking To Yourself
2023 28 Anything To Be With You
2023 33 Kamikaze
2023 56 Shy Boy
2023 68 Aeroplanes
2023 83 Psychedelic Switch

27. Nobody Gets Me - SZA
SZA got into her Mazzy Star bag with this one, a stripped-back song where SZA's emotional vocals shine. I think this got a single push but unfortunately feels like it's been sidelined in favour of several other tracks from SOS, but I love the nostalgic, reflective tone and it's a surefire classic.
SZA's EOY history:
2021 04 Good Days
2023 27 Nobody Gets Me
2023 31 Kill Bill

26. VAMPIROS - ROSALÍA & Rauw Alejandro
Despite overlooking this when it first came out, I really got into it months after release when I saw ROSALÍA live - an absolute highlight of 2023! The dark, industrial sound feels perfect for late-night city drives and there's so much atmosphere to it.
ROSALÍA's EOY history:
2020 09 TKN (ft. Travis Scott)
2022 05 DESPECHÁ
2022 24 CHICKEN TERIYAKI
2022 91 SAOKO
2023 26 VAMPIROS (ft. Rauw Alejandro)

Rauw's EOY history:
2023 26 VAMPIROS (with ROSALÍA)
2023 92 VOLVER (with Tainy, Skrillex & Four Tet)

25. Story - Kylie Minogue
Story is a blissful piece of pop, with a soaring chorus that will test your vocal range. It's a fun, inspirational song about believing that the stars are aligning for you and taking a leap. There's also a great message of coming together, with Kylie assuring us that 'you're part of my story'.
Kylie's EOY history:
2020 85 Say Something
2020 94 Magic
2023 25 Story

24. Samo mi se spava - Luke Black
More Eurovision now, and still more to come! Serbia have been killing it lately and this is no exception, with creepy church-organ production and whispered lyrics about sleeping forever. I'm shocked (SHOCKED!) it only came 24th as it's an easy top 5 for me, but I always love hearing something a bit darker in Eurovision so hopefully Serbia keeps it up!
Luke's EOY history:
2023 24 Samo mi se spava

23. LAS BABYS - Aitana
Now this is a huge tune. Aitana decided to follow up the dark, moody Los Ángeles with something the complete opposite: a Whigfield-sampling bop about dancing all night. It might not say that much, but it is a lot of fun and a camp anthem!
Aitana's EOY history:
2023 23 LAS BABYS
2023 50 mariposas (with sangiovanni)

22. Gato De Noche - Ñengo Flow ft. Bad Bunny
Gato De Noche is, yet again, proof that Bad Bunny's best work is his features xx This is a great chilled reggaeton tune, with lyrics about sharing a romantic partner with another person and wanting more than that.
Ñengo Flow's EOY history:
2023 22 Gato De Noche (ft. Bad Bunny)

Bad Bunny's EOY history:
2023 22 Gato De Noche (with Ñengo Flow)

21. Nevera (Lei, lei) - Harmonija disonance
I think I came across this song for the first time in the Eurovision forum's Rejects contest - a definite favourite and I wish it had made the actual contest! It reminds me a lot of SHUM, with traditional folkloric sounds blended with an energetic dance beat.
Harmonija disonance's EOY history:
2023 21 Nevera (Lei, lei)

+Quote this post
Sergej
post 19th January 2024, 11:03 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Nice to see "Bad Idea Right?" and "Samo Mi Se Spava" in your top 30, with "Bad Idea Right?" my favourite of the two.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 20th January 2024, 08:26 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 19 2024, 11:03 PM) *
Nice to see "Bad Idea Right?" and "Samo Mi Se Spava" in your top 30, with "Bad Idea Right?" my favourite of the two.

Thanks Sergej, glad you liked those!

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 20th January 2024, 08:33 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

Slowing it down slightly now that we're into the top 20...

20. Speed Drive - Charli XCX

Barbiemania gave Charli a well-deserved return to the top ten, and it was equally a big hit for me! The combination of samples is *chef's kiss*, and it absolutely sounds like a wild car chase. Charli established herself long ago as the queen of songs about cars, but this is a great addition to her canon.
Charli's EOY history:
2020 34 claws
2020 39 i finally understand
2021 09 Good Ones
2021 22 CHARGER (with ELIO)
2021 71 911 (with Lady Gaga & A.G. Cook)
2021 96 New Shapes (ft. Christine and the Queens & Caroline Polachek)
2022 25 Beg For You (ft. Rina Sawayama)
2022 27 Baby
2022 29 Used To Know Me
2022 39 Every Rule
2022 44 Yuck
2022 46 Crash
2022 59 Constant Repeat
2022 63 Lightning
2022 80 Twice
2023 20 Speed Drive

19. Tenemos que hablar - Danna Paola

Tenemos que hablar followed up #1 hit 1Trago and turned into a second chart-topper for Danna Paola. It's more subdued than it's predecessor, with fast-paced 80s synths and almost whispered lyrics about a relationship that didn't make it. The video features Danna taking to the streets laying on the bonnet of a speeding car and slowly turning into a demon, images that perfectly sum up the dark-tinged synth production.
Danna's EOY history:
2023 19 Tenemos que hablar

18. Nochentera - Vicco

I remember seeing this song on Benidorm Fest and really rooting for Vicco - but ultimately her staging and performance didn't live up to the studio version. It's a fun song about a houseparty and having a good night, and I've heard it so much I know it off by heart. This was actually one of the biggest hits in Spain of 2023, so it was quite bizarre to walk into class and have the kids I taught saying "play Vicco!" while it was #1 on my personal chart laugh.gif
Vicco's EOY history:
2023 18 Nochentera

17. Los Ángeles - Aitana

Los Ángeles was a great introduction to Aitana's latest era, with an infectious dance sound that you might've recently heard in the latest PFSC! Lyrically it blends religious lyrics (references to Genesis and sin) with a longing for physical touch and another night with someone. This was another inescapable hit while I was living in Madrid, always playing on the radio and in clubs, and my favourite thing Aitana has put her name to.
Aitana's EOY history:
2023 17 Los Ángeles
2023 23 LAS BABYS
2023 50 mariposas (with sangiovanni)

16. 1Trago - Danna Paola

1Trago (not named after the Mills) is a huge dance-pop banger. It's a bit The Motto but in the best way, with a stomping chorus about drinking to get over someone (maybe not the best message) but equally trying to be the bigger person. Based on the strength of this and 'Tenemos que hablar', I'm really looking forward to what 2024 brings for Danna.
Danna's EOY history:
2023 16 1Trago
2023 19 Tenemos que hablar

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 21st January 2024, 09:24 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

15. Tension - Kylie Minogue

More stomping dance-pop now, with maybe Kylie's most daring offering in years. After DISCO being a bit more of a look backwards in terms of sound (no bad thing), it was refreshing to hear Kylie on something so new and relevant again, refusing to play it safe by any means.
Kylie's EOY history:
2020 85 Say Something
2020 94 Magic
2023 15 Tension
2023 25 Story

14. Angel - PinkPantheress

This somehow not sneaking into the UK charts is a serious offence that deserves an inquest in all honesty. It's a cutesy romantic song that does what PinkPantheress does best, with a surprisingly Irish flair at times.
PinkPantheress's EOY history:
2021 21 Just for me
2023 14 Angel
2023 45 Boy’s a liar

13. No Regrets - Sugababes

This song came out right at the end of 2022 but soundtracked the start of my year so heavily that it's definitely a 2023 song too. To me, this just feels like winter (which is why it and its parent album have had a bit of a resurgence for me with the recent cold weather - Flatline is on repeat!) with its devastatingly emotional chorus about choosing to live your life and valuing what you have. I can only apologise for the person I become when I put this in the queue.
Sugababes' EOY history:
2023 13 No Regrets
2023 94 Summer Of '99
2023 97 Boys

12. AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM - Beyoncé ft. Kendrick Lamar

This song wasn't a big highlight when I first went through Renaissance, but that's now been heavily corrected. Kendrick's verse really gets you hyped up and then Beyoncé comes in with hook after hook. A little detail I love about this song is the echoing "no" going back and forth between Bey and Kendrick; like the rest of the album, the production is immaculate. I also really appreciate how adding Kendrick didn't involve cutting out part of the original song: instead the remix is longer than the original song to give both artists the chance to shine without compromising the original track.
Beyoncé's EOY history:
2022 33 ALIEN SUPERSTAR
2022 35 PURE/HONEY
2022 45 BREAK MY SOUL
2023 12 AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (ft. Kendrick Lamar)

Kendrick's EOY history:
2023 12 AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM (with Beyoncé)

11. Ghost - Sigrid

This is such a gorgeous emotional song that really took me by surprise in how much I got into it. It's a slow ballad which is actually Sigrid at her best (another fave of mine is her beautiful Home To You), with lyrics about promising to follow someone, no matter where they go. However, the song shows that that feeling isn't necessarily felt both ways and Sigrid's vocals hugely capture that sense of something unreciprocated.
Sigrid's EOY history:
2022 54 A Driver Saved My Life
2023 11 Ghost

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 24th January 2024, 10:30 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

10. Ecstasy - Rose Gray

Ecstasy is an infectious dance tune that is Rose at her best. I really love the 90s-00s dance pop that she's made into her signature sound and I really think we need her to break through into the mainstream. This was, at long last, Rose's first #1 in my chart and it remains an anthem.
Rose's EOY history:
2020 44 Same Cloud
2021 66 Easy
2021 70 Nothing Can Stop Us
2022 32 Prettier Than You
2022 38 Cupid
2022 75 Promise Me
2023 10 Ecstasy
2023 59 Sun Comes Up
2023 96 Promise Me

9. Blood and Butter - Caroline Polachek

Blood and Butter took a moment to grow on me, being a much more jarring combination of sounds than predecessors Billions and Bunny Is A Rider. The verses feature 90s William Orbit-esque production, while the latter parts of the song transform into a spectacular bagpipe solo. Caroline proves that she's unafraid to reference or not reference by interpolating the verse melody from album track Fly To You in the aforementioned bagpipe section, creating an intricate soundscape of her very own.
Caroline's EOY history:
2021 16 Bunny Is A Rider
2021 47 Breathless
2022 04 Billions
2022 26 Sunset
2023 09 Blood and Butter
2023 47 I Believe
2023 85 Sunset
2023 93 Dang

8. Rush - Troye Sivan

Troye feels safely in the main pop boy camp now, and despite it being a long time coming this feels like the song that really kicked that into gear. I love that it turned into such a big recognisable hit yet is so celebratory of queer culture - from the Eastern European cinema/photography influenced music video (which has received its criticism for the lack of diversity in its dancers) to the various connotations of the title! Either way it's safe to say I certainly felt the rush in 2023.
Troye's EOY history:
2020 89 Easy
2020 90 IN A DREAM
2023 08 Rush
2023 29 What’s The Time Where You Are?
2023 40 Got Me Started

7. Cha Cha Cha - Käärijä

We are finally at our last Eurovision song of the year! Cha Cha Cha was instantly huge for me - I remember seeing it in the national final thread here on Buzzjack and immediately thinking it had winner potential. Of course that wasn't the case in the final, but 2nd place can hardly be sniffed at! It's so different and such a breath of fresh air, ranging from growled verses about coming alive with a few piña coladas to a hyperpop-infused second half with its own iconic dance moves. I watched Eurovision with a few friends last year and they were blown away (for better or worse) by this, and who wouldn't be?
Käärijä's EOY history:
2023 07 Cha Cha Cha

6. Welcome To My Island - Caroline Polachek

Last year, this was my EOY #96, but it's shot up a neat 90 places this time! That's thanks in part to the Charli XCX / George Daniel remix, which basically strips the original of any semblance of it being a Caroline Polachek song and firmly transports us to Charli's Island. Both versions are huge bangers. A friend of mine loves Caroline but *hates* this song, and says it sounds like a Disney princess song laugh.gif but I disagree!
Caroline's EOY history:
2021 16 Bunny Is A Rider
2021 47 Breathless
2022 04 Billions
2022 26 Sunset
2023 06 Welcome To My Island
2023 09 Blood and Butter
2023 47 I Believe
2023 85 Sunset
2023 93 Dang

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 11:38 AM