BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jupiter's Top 40 so far this month, up to 18/08, with video links and writeup
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Aug 19 2016, 05:54 AM
Post #1
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Britney ascends to #1, Chainsmokers x Halsey replace Chainsmokers x Daya in the top 10 and Fergie rebounds in the chart this week. Here's the top 40 in more detail, from the last 30 days up to 18/08/16:

01 Britney Spears - Make Me [3-1]
02 AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean [1-2]
03 Madasun - Don't You Worry [4-3] [*]
04 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4]
05 M83 - Walkway Blues [5-5]
06 George Maple - Sticks and Horses [9-6] [*]
07 Harry Shadow ft. Chi - Flicker [6-7] [*]
08 Rihanna - Sledgehammer [7-8]
09 Zayn - She [8-9]
10 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10]
11 Major Lazer ft. Bieber, M0 - Cold Water [10-11]
12 Glass Animals - Youth [14-12]
13 Katelyn Tarver - Weekend Millionaires [11-13]
14 Honne - Take You High [12-14]
15 Secret Rendezvous - Better than She Can [16-15]
16 Chainsmokers ft. Daya - Don't Let Me Down [2-16]
17 Kaskade ft. Ofelia K - Fakin It [27-17]
18 Ariana Grande - Into You [17-18]
19 Bright Light Bright Light - How Does It Feel [23-19]
20 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20]
21 Kygo ft. Julia Michaels - Carry Me [26-21]
22 Wild Belle - Baby Come Back to Me [N] [*]
23 Empire of the Sun - Tonight [N] [*]
24 Fifth Harmony - Flex (All In My Head) [20-24]
25 Foals - Lonely Hunter [30-25]
26 Christine and the Queens - Tilted [N]
27 Sleigh Bells - Hyper Dark [24-27]
28 Mallrat - For Real [N] [*]
29 Tegan and Sara - Dying to Know [21-29]
30 Janet Jackson - The Great Forever [N]
31 SNRBN ft. Holly Winter - Sometimes [32-31]
32 Grimes - Realiti [18-32]
33 Deep Chills ft. Emma Carn - Blinded [N] [*]
34 Rae Sremmurd - Look Alive [39-34]
35 Bear's Den - Red Earth + Pouring Rain [N]
36 Bear's Den - Emeralds [N]
37 BB Diamond - Praying [34-37]
38 Kiesza - Sound of a Woman [N]
39 Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Come With Us [N]
40 Stooshe - Let it Go [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean
Britney Spears - Make Me

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Aug 19 2016, 05:54 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 19 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

Generally a more predictable week this week with no huge new releases arriving to rock the boat. Britney ascends to the top spot after approximately a month climbing the chart from the initial surge following the single's drop. I've deliberately linked the audio version with Brit's radiant artwork; the music video does the song no justice and is a complete misfire of concept and audience.

Big chart changes; Tove Lo predicatbly rockets up into the top 5 from her #15 debut. The song's yet to impact any mainstream charts in either the UK or US, but as a name on the rise Ms. Lo should be guaranteed a decent-sized hit from the lead single to her forthcoming album, Lady Wood, releasing in October. Don't Let Me Down by Chainsmokers and Daya falls 14 places to #16 as its initial impact week falls out of the time period covered by my chart dates; while follow-up featuring Halsey flies up 15 places to #10. Further down the chart, Fergie, who I tipped to fall out last week, rebounds following my decision to get the single instead of just featuring it on my Spotify weekly playlist.

In terms of other chart movers, Kaskade and Ofelia K move up into the top 20, Foals' Lonely Hunter moves up five places to 25, and Kygo ft. Julia Michaels threatens to break into the top 20. New entries this week come from Wild Belle (an album track from April's Dreamland), Mallrat, Janet Jackson, Stooshe, Christine and the Queens's Tilted, which finally grew on me a little, and a double from Bears Den from their newly-released album. More to come from them in the following months.

And now on to the links for this week:

Ascending to #3 this week is a 20-year-old song that I discovered on ThePensmith's girlband singles thread. Madasun's Don't You Worry has shades of 90s Texas, TLC, and another track I rediscovered this year that will likely show up in my top 100 of the year, Emma Bunton and Tin Tin Out's What I Am. Surprisingly (or perhaps unsurprisingly) the 90s sound meshes quite nicely with modern music on a playlist, as so much of it is now chasing a similar vibe for nostalgic reasons. Solid, this one.

George Maple's Sticks and Horses reaches a new peak of #6 this week. I realised, to those unfamiliar with the artist or track, this might sound like an awfully twee country-styled track from the name alone. George Maple is actually a woman, and recently featured on the pre-Bieber DJ Snake single, a rework of her own single Talk. George - real name Jess - usually has an smooth, cool R&B influenced sound similar to Banks or Jessie Ware, but on this new track featuring GoldLink, goes hard into more Aaliyah/Rihanna territory, and it works so well. Warning ahead of time; video is probably a bit NSFW - in classic Rihanna style, there's a poledancer. Banger though.

#7 this week is a new peak for Harry Shadow and Chi's Flicker, which I came across on Spotify, but Youtube informs me was featured on the Scream TV series. A very chilled out track, a bit indie, a bit Vaults, a bit Arthur Beatrice. I don't know much about either artist, but now they're on my radar I'll be looking out for more from them.

At #22 we have our Wild Belle track. Wild Belle debuted with a jazzy 1960s-influenced sound back in 2012 or so (complete with flared trousers) and last year featured on Major Lazer's smash album on track Be Together, which made my top 100 of 2015. Baby Come Back To Me is the 4th track from parent album Dreamland, their 2016 comeback, to hit my top 40, following singles Dreamland and Our Love Will Survive, and album track Rock & Roll Angel. Its very Americana influenced, but without the macabre materialism that accompanies that sound in the music of e.g. Lana Del Rey. Maybe even a bit indie country styled. See what you think.

A new entry for Empire of the Sun this week, their second on my chart this year, following my search for any material of theirs in advance of their new album coming out in September. 'Tonight' is a fun, slightly funky track - the direction you can imagine MGMT went in in an alternate world where they didn't completely diverge from the commercial route after album #1. Written for and only featuring on the soundtrack of the critically flopping sequel to Dumb and Dumber, its no wonder this one isn't more widely known. Luckily its on Youtube, too.

Mallrat at #28 is another under-the-radar 2016 release. I don't feel confident tipping it as a future hit as I know little about the artist; another Spotify discovery, this time second-hand, as I first came across Mallrat as the featured singer on EST's Get Money. For Real reminds me a bit of Tove Styrke, an artist I was a big fan of maybe a year and a half ago. This almost has a shade of Jess Glynne about it. Struggling to think of a better comparison for this one. It sounds sunny and summery.

Finally rounding us out for links this week is this week's #33, Deep Chills' Blinded featuring Emma Carn, another track that's been a slow burner for me. As the title would suggest, its pretty chilled out, with a slightly tropical house twist, a little bit Avicii/Kygo/Robin Schultz/Jonas Blue. Featured vocalist Emma Carn even sounds a bit like on-the-rise featured vocalist Jasmine Thompson, who'll also be likely making an appearance in my end-of-year roundup.

Thoughts? Comments? Queries? Anything on this week's list you like? Let me know, I'm a big feedback fan!

+Quote Post
mdh
post Aug 19 2016, 09:41 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Jupiter!

01 Britney Spears - Make Me [3-1]
02 AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean [1-2]
04 Tove Lo - Cool Girl [15-4]
08 Rihanna - Sledgehammer [7-8]
09 Zayn - She [8-9]
10 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10]
11 Major Lazer ft. Bieber, M0 - Cold Water [10-11]
12 Glass Animals - Youth [14-12]
13 Katelyn Tarver - Weekend Millionaires [11-13]
14 Honne - Take You High [12-14]
18 Ariana Grande - Into You [17-18]
20 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20]
24 Fifth Harmony - Flex (All In My Head) [20-24]
26 Christine and the Queens - Tilted [N]
31 SNRBN ft. Holly Winter - Sometimes [32-31]
34 Rae Sremmurd - Look Alive [39-34]

Those were my faves from your chart, is the Kiesza track a new single?

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 19 2016, 10:58 AM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Aug 19 2016, 10:41 AM) *
Hey Jupiter!

is the Kiesza track a new single?

Hey! No, its the title track from her last album. I tend to pick tracks from an album when an artist releases it and get hung up on different tracks at different times. That way if the artist doesnt release anything else for ages, I don't 'run out' of music from them tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JSG
post Aug 19 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,473

Hey Jupiter. I do belive I missed your first chart due to my absence but if you have any queries feel free to message any of the Personal Chart mods I.e Myself, Riser, SevenSeize or JosephStyles

and welcome to the Forum smile.gif

01 Britney Spears - Make Me [3-1] Slay me with your #1 amazingness. this is one of her nest imo and it's great to see her back on form.
10 Chainsmokers ft. Halsey - Closer [25-10] Not massively into this but it's nice enough!! smile.gif
20 Fergie - MILF$ [36-20] I am really loving this. The video especially. Shame it didn't do too well on the charts even though I expected it to.
24 Fifth Harmony - Flex (All In My Head) [20-24] wub.gif music.gif
26 Christine and the Queens - Tilted [N] By far my favourite song on your chart. it is absolutely so catchy! Glad it's done well on the charts too as unexpected as it was.
29 Tegan and Sara - Dying to Know [21-29]

Great chart!! happy.gif

+Quote Post
J00prstar
post Aug 20 2016, 07:17 AM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks, JSG! Glad people are enjoying my picks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 AM