BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Is Enid Blyton to blame for the Leave vote?, It's all the Famous Five's fault
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Oct 29 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
An interesting article from Prospect magazine suggesting that a false version of Britain in Enid Blyton's books contributed to the Leave vote.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts-and...rexit-fantasies
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 29 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Oct 29 2017, 11:12 AM) *
An interesting article from Prospect magazine suggesting that a false version of Britain in Enid Blyton's books contributed to the Leave vote.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts-and...rexit-fantasies

And people claim *I* post fanciful nonsense... rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 29 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
There is at least some logic to the argument. A lot of Leave voters seem to have some rosy-eyed view of a past that never existed. That past has more in common with an Enid Blyton book than it has with reality.

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post Oct 29 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639
But how many consciously remember those books?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 29 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
I loved Enid blyton but happily as an adult the comic strip presents showed the racism the class snobbery the shoddy adult supervision the public school bullshit.....

I'm sure there are old folk recalling the fake reality though and confusing it with real life laugh.gif

A bit like the idealised 50s comedies in the 70s conveniently ignoring the poverty the racism McCarthyism the cold war...

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 29 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Poked Pumpkin🎃 @ Oct 29 2017, 03:26 PM) *
But how many consciously remember those books?

That's not the point. It's about the general fantasy land in which the books were set, not the individual plots. If you read about something vaguely realistic often enough you can start to lose the sense of what is real and what is fantasy. Just look at Daily Mail readers as an example.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Oct 29 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718
Yes, her writing is a manifestation of Olde Merrie England/Little England and her huge influence has helped to reinforce what exactly English - and British - national identity is for many people from some segments of society. This is a backward/inward-looking outlook and whether deliberately or inadvertently, it excludes various groups, particularly certain classes and those of other ethnicities.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 29 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Harve @ Oct 29 2017, 03:47 PM) *
Yes, her writing is a manifestation of Olde Merrie England/Little England and her huge influence has helped to reinforce what exactly English - and British - national identity is for many people from some segments of society. This is a backward/inward-looking outlook and whether deliberately or inadvertently, it excludes various groups, particularly certain classes and those of other ethnicities.

What confuses me is, it's apparently OK to be a nationalist in Scotland or Wales, but not in England? wacko.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 29 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
Well, it could be worse. They could have taken influence from something else Blyton was fond of, namely playing tennis whilst in the nude.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Oct 29 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #10
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Interesting...

I think on this point most people when looking back forget that the past we see in most media about the past is what it was like for the very rich, or upper middle-class people.

All those movies and period dramas about 'the Victorians' or 'the 1950s' or whatever period it is will generally follow the story of a life that even then was not accessible to the majority of people and was nothing like their lives would have been.

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post Oct 29 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #11
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 29 2017, 05:18 PM) *
What confuses me is, it's apparently OK to be a nationalist in Scotland or Wales, but not in England? wacko.gif

Why do you think that might be?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 29 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(TheBattenburglar @ Oct 29 2017, 05:19 PM) *
Well, it could be worse. They could have taken influence from something else Blyton was fond of, namely playing tennis whilst in the nude.

I think it should be compulsory..... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 29 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(FreddyVsJupiter @ Oct 29 2017, 05:47 PM) *
Interesting...

I think on this point most people when looking back forget that the past we see in most media about the past is what it was like for the very rich, or upper middle-class people.

All those movies and period dramas about 'the Victorians' or 'the 1950s' or whatever period it is will generally follow the story of a life that even then was not accessible to the majority of people and was nothing like their lives would have been.

Spot on. Real life for me wasn't Terry And June, it was Till Death Us Do Part. All these historical dramas focusing on rich toffs just annoy me, it's as if poor people didn't exist unless they were servants and butlers....

Blyton was even more posh in her girl school midnight feasts in dorms Mallory Towers books, where girls were trained to be dutiful wives to rich Nobs and provide the required number of heirs (NB Rees-Mogg MUST have read these when he was a little schoolgirl, sorry, I mean pribately-educated schoolBOY. I know I read them as a little schoolgirl, sorry I mean, Primary schoolBOY. yes, I pushed boundaries, I'd read anything, for boys, for girls, for adults....anything.

I heartily suggest everyone go NOW and watch Five Go Mad In Dorset, or FIve Go Mad On Mescalin and piss yourselves laughing.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Oct 29 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The thing that annoyed me about Downton Abbey (and Upstairs Downstairs before it) was the portrayal of the household's relationship with the servants. The posh family were always portrayed as being very benevolent towards their staff. No doubt families like that did exist but I'm sure there were plenty of others who treated their servants like some form of lowlife.

When the BBC dared to show a less than ideal master / servant relationship, the Daily Mail was, of course, outraged.

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 30 2017, 06:24 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(Soy Adrián @ Oct 29 2017, 05:53 PM) *
Why do you think that might be?

I don't know - that's why I asked the question.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Oct 30 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
English nationalism is blood and soil nationalism (you can’t sit with us) and about English superiority. Hence the leaver rhetoric about how the whole world will be lining up to do free trade agreements with us coz we’re so amazeballs but if India wants visa liberation in return then that is just unacceptable as they should be grateful to be trading with us.

Scottish and Welsh nationalism is “civic nationalism” I.e. very migrant friendly and open. More concerned with self governance, taking decisions closer to home and striking out on a more left wing path. The SNP are currently investigating the feasibility of a universal basic income for example. They’ve also been the most vocal on EU citizens rights

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post Oct 30 2017, 10:05 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Paul Hyett
QUOTE(5 Silas Frřkner @ Oct 30 2017, 07:01 AM) *
Scottish and Welsh nationalism is “civic nationalism” I.e. very migrant friendly and open.

Except for the English? teresa.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 30 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 30 2017, 10:05 AM) *
Except for the English? teresa.gif

just the politicians. who can blame them?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:43 PM