BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Will Young News, Chat , Gigs, Tours & Interviews
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
truly talented
post Jun 4 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 140
Will to reprise his role as Emcee with Louise Redknapp as Sally Bowles.

CABARET UK TOUR

21 -30 September 2017
New Wimbledon Theatre
BOOK TICKETS

3 – 7 October 2017
Blackpool Opera House
BOOK TICKETS

10 - 14 October
Malvern Theatre Worcestershire

16 – 21 October 2017
New Theatre Cardiff
BOOK TICKETS

24 – 28 October 2017
Leeds Grand Theatre

BOOK TICKETS

31 October – 4 November 2017
Milton Keynes Theatre
BOOK TICKETS

7 – 11 November 2017
The Lowry, Salford
BOOK TICKETS

14 – 18 November 2017
Edinburgh Playhouse
BOOK TICKETS

5 – 9 December 2017
Theatre Royal Brighton
BOOK ONLINE

This post has been edited by truly talented: Sep 7 2017, 01:51 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jun 4 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

+Quote this post
suggy
post Jun 5 2017, 11:36 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 85
Cheers TT.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 4 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
http://www.broadwayworld.com/westend/artic...ABARET-20170704

FIRST LOOK photos of Will Young as the Emcee and Louise Redknapp as Sally Bowles have today been released, ahead of the UK tour of CABARET this autumn, opening at the New Wimbledon Theatre on Thursday 21 September 2017 and playing theatres in Blackpool, Malvern, Cardiff, Leeds, Milton Keynes, Salford, Edinburgh, Bromley, Dublin and Brighton.

Internationally renowned singer/songwriter, Will Young, reprises his Olivier Award-nominated performance as the enigmatic Emcee alongside musician and presenter Louise Redknapp, who makes her stage debut as Sally Bowles in Rufus Norris's multi-award winning production of CABARET.

Ever since winning the inaugural series of Pop Idol in 2001, Will Young has been one of the UK's most popular and successful music artists. He holds the record for the fastest selling debut single in British chart history, and has enjoyed a phenomenal career in music with four No1 albums, as well as acting alongside Dame Judi Dench in the film Mrs Henderson Presents. Will made his West End debut in Cabaret and will be reprising his award winning performance.

Louise Redknapp rose to fame as a member of the girl group Eternal. She left the band to carve out a successful solo career achieving an impressive twelve Top 20 singles, including the hits Naked and Stuck in the Middle and selling over 5 million records with 5 albums. Since then she has rarely left our television screens and most recently wowed the nation with her dancing skills finishing 'runner up' in the 2016 series of BBC1's Strictly Come Dancing.

CABARET features show-stopping choreography, dazzling costumes and some of the most iconic songs in musical theatre including 'Money Makes The World Go Round', 'Two Ladies' 'Maybe This Time' and of course 'Cabaret'. The production turns Weimar Berlin of 1931 into a sassy, sizzling haven of decadence, and at its dark heart is the legendary and notorious Emcee, who performs nightly at the infamous Kit Kat Klub.

Since its Broadway premiere in 1966 and the famous movie version with Liza Minnelli and Oscar winner Joel Grey, CABARET has won a staggering number of stage and screen awards including 8 Oscar's, 7 BAFTA's and 13 Tony's. Norris' production has enjoyed two smash hit West End runs and has picked up 2 Olivier Awards.

Rufus Norris is Director of the National Theatre and a multi-award winning theatre and opera director. For the National Theatre, he has directed The Threepenny Opera, wonder.land, Everyman, Behind the Beautiful Forevers, The Amen Corner, Table, London Road (Critics Circle Award), Death and the King's Horseman, Market Boy. Other theatre includes Vernon God Little (Young Vic), Les Liasons Dangerouses (Broadway - five Tony Award nominations), Festen (West End and Broadway) The Country Girl (Apollo) and Afore Night Came at the Young Vic (Evening Standard Award). Film credits include London Road and Broken.

Choreography is by the Olivier Award-winning Javier De Frutos. In 1990, he formed The Javier De Frutos Dance Company. His work includes The Hypochondriac Bird and Affliction of Loneliness. Recently he joined forces with Sadler's Wells and The Pet Shop Boys to create a brand new dance work based on Hans Christian Andersen's story, The Most Incredible Thing.

Cabaret will play at the New Wimbledon Theatre, Blackpool Opera House, Malvern Festival Theatre, Cardiff New Theatre, Leeds Grand Theatre, Milton Keynes Theatre, The Lowry in Salford, Edinburgh Playhouse, Churchill Theatre Bromley, Dublin's Bord Gáis Energy Theatre and Brighton Theatre Royal.

CABARET - TOUR DATES 2017

Thursday 21 - 30 September Box Office: 0844 871 7646

New Wimbledon Theatre Website: ATGTICKETS.COM/Wimbledon

Tuesday 3 - 7 October Box Office: 0844 856 1111

Blackpool Opera House Website: wgbpl.co.uk

Tuesday 10 - 14 October Box Office: 01684 892277

Malvern Festival Theatre Website: malvern-theatres.co.uk

Tuesday 17 - 21 October Box Office: 029 2087 8889

Cardiff New Theatre Website: newtheatrecardiff.co.uk

Tuesday 24 - 28 October Box Office: 0844 848 2700

Leeds Grand Theatre Website: leedsgrandtheatre.com

Tuesday 31 October - 4 November Box Office: 0844 871 7652

Milton Keynes Theatre Website: ATGTICKETS.COM/MiltonKeynes

Tuesday 7 - 11 November Box Office: 0843 208 6000

Salford Quays, The Lowry Website: thelowry.com

Tuesday 14 - 18 November Box Office: 0844 871 3014

Edinburgh Playhouse Website: ATGTICKETS.COM/Edinburgh

Tuesday 21 - 25 November Box Office: 020 3285 6000

Churchill Theatre Bromley Website: churchilltheatre.co.uk

Tuesday 28 Nov - 2 December Box Office: 00353 1 677 7999

Dublin, Bord Gáis Energy Theatre Website: www.bordgaisenergytheatre.ie

Tuesday 5 - 9 December Box Office: 0844 871 7650

Brighton Theatre Royal Website: ATGTICKETS.COM/Brighton

Further dates to be confirmed

This post has been edited by truly talented: Jul 4 2017, 05:02 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 10 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

https://soundcloud.com/homosapienspodcast

This post has been edited by truly talented: Jul 11 2017, 04:55 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 11 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Tweet from Will.

itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/hom…. I'm so excited !!

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 11 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
heart.gif

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/will-young/

Holy Moly

We’ve had a lot of fun, drunk a lot of tea’

In a joint statement, Will and Chris said: ‘As ‘Woman’s Hour’ super-fans, we adored the 70th anniversary celebrations late last year – the presenters were looking back at how their programme started and how pioneering it was to show current affairs from a female perspective.

‘This sparked a conversation between us about the LGBTQ+ community and how great it would be to have a similar voice. It was a real lightbulb moment and the idea of “Homo Sapiens” was born!

‘Through recording this podcast, we’ve had a lot of fun, drunk a lot of tea, and learned a huge amount from some of the bravest, most intelligent and fun people who have paved the way for all LGBTQ+ people.’

This post has been edited by truly talented: Jul 11 2017, 05:13 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 12 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
https://twitter.com/StandardDiary/statu ... 7198105600

Londoner's Diary‏ @StandardDiary
Will Young opens his Wandsworth home to promote new LGBT podcast

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londoner ... 86086.html …

Will set to release special LGBT podcast.

Singer Will Young had The Londoner over to his Wandsworth abode last night to toast his new LGBTQ+ podcast. Titled Homo Sapiens, co-hosted by Young’s filmmaker pal Chris Sweeney and inspired by the pair’s love of Woman’s Hour, it will be released on July 25 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of The Sexual Offences Act 1967. “It was just us having conversations with people we wanted to talk to really,” Young said of guests including Owen Jones and Russell T Davies. “We also felt that there’s a place for it, and we’re amazed that it hasn’t been done before. There’s endless people we can talk to. Sandi Toksvig is our target, but she’s very busy. And we’re heading for Michelle Obama.”

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 12 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 25 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Telegraph Culture Radio Podcasts
Will Young on his new LGBT podcast Homo Sapiens: 'It's inspired by Woman's Hour'

Pop star Will Young with film director Chris Sweeney CREDIT: LAURA LEWIS

Dylan Jones
25 JULY 2017 • 7:00AM
Woman’s Hour is one of Radio’s most well-respected, best-loved institutions, with an army of devoted fans - among them many men, including pop star Will Young and film director Chris Sweeney.

However it was listening to their favourite show that the pair, best friends since Sweeney directed a video for Young, had an epiphany: why didn’t a similar type of show exist for LGBT people?

And so their new podcast Homo Sapiens was born: launching today, it aims to provide the same kind of therapeutic but incisive discussion that Jenni Murray, Jane Garvey et al do. “We’re not doing an LGBT Woman’s Hour, but that’s where the idea spawned from,” says Young, who has been a representative of queerness in the mainstream ever since he came out following his victory on Pop Idol in 2001. “There isn’t a space that we felt was really fulfilling the role of talking to people from an LGBT perspective, and even more simply – two gay guys in their thirties who want to chat to people who we relate to.”

Will Young
As their podcast launches, Young is very clear about what they want to achieve with it. “Two words,” he says quickly “Michelle Obama. She’s the ultimate really.” Though he is moving into unchartered territory: “I didn’t even know what podcasts were at first though,” he muses. “I kept on saying ‘iPod.’

Such jokey casualness belies the seriousness of the project at heart, however. Interviewees have been carefully chosen to reflect the spectrum of LGBT experience, as Sweeney is at pains to point out. Some of the names on the roster for the first series include journalist Owen Jones, screenwriter Russell T Davies, Nigerian activist Bisi Alimi, singer-songwriter John Grant and transgender actress Rebecca Root.

“We wanted it to be people who had done something progressive or transgressive for the LGBT+ community,” says Sweeney. “Bisi Alimi, for example, has done extraordinary stuff. And we can talk about the issues around that. But then Bisi’s also an extraordinary person. So we can talk to him, as a person, and about his life as well as his activism.”

Screenwriter Russell T Davies
Screenwriter Russell T Davies CREDIT: JAY WILLIAMS
Indeed, Young says the emphasis is on conversation, rather than interviewing. “We’re not grilling people,” says Will. “Neither of us want to push people on uncomfortable topics. So it’s just an environment for people to chat. And not necessarily about sensational things. We’re not looking for headlines like ‘oh my god, ‘John Grant said this’ or ‘Owen Jones’ said this.’”

“Actually, when Chris and I interviewed Owen [Jones], he talked about coming out as gay, and that was interesting because it was something we could all identify with.”

“Everyone knows loads about Owen’s political opinions,” says Chris. “But I don’t think Owen ever really talks about himself. And it was really nice to talk to him in a much more informal way. Someone who’s so staunch with their beliefs, and works really hard at getting people to change their opinions and stuff…where does that come from? What was the six-year-old version of that person like?”

One of the most intriguing conversations Will and Chris had was with Rebecca Root, one of Britain’s first ever openly trans actors. Last year she shot into the limelight after starring in critically-acclaimed BBC comedy/drama Boy Meets Girl. She’s also been making waves in cinema, with several projects in the pipeline, including The Sisters Brothers, a high-budget Hollywood western, alongside John C Reilly and Jake Gyllenhaal slated for release next year.

“When we spoke to Rebecca Root, we were talking about the role she’d just done in Boy Meets Girl, and the film with Jake Gyllenhaal,” says Sweeney. “And then that conversation moved on to ‘do you feel a responsibility to represent the trans community in acting?’ And she was saying ‘yes and no - actually I just want to be an actress. But I’m aware that I’m also at the vanguard of trans people being cast in things.’”

“So we learned from her that you kind of have to represent in some ways. Because if there’s a kid out there who’s trans, and is looking to you for guidance and what to do next, and wants to be an actress, you do have that responsibility. If they Google it and Rebecca comes up, it’ll be her who they look to. And that’s just really fascinating. Because she’s done all this work, it’s moved her own career forward, and she can now be cast in things just as a woman, and no-one talks about the fact that she’s trans. Which is amazing because it means now other people can follow.”

But it’s clear that Will and Chris also want the podcast to be less about the political side of LGBT issues, and more about the personal side. They want to explore what makes their subjects tick.

“I think there’s something quite modern about NOT dwelling on someone’s LGBTness as the reason we’re talking to them,” says Chris.

“Yes!” agrees Will. “Having had fifteen years of ‘gay pop star Will Young!’ or ‘middle class Will Young’ or ‘posh Will Young’ – obviously people want to put you in a box – but I think it’s much more interesting to just find out about the person. If we move in to discuss certain issues then great. But it’s coming from someone as a person rather than as a number.”

Homo Sapiens is out now. Listen at homosapienspodcast.com

http://homosapienspodcast.com

This post has been edited by truly talented: Jul 25 2017, 08:48 AM

+Quote this post
munchkin
post Jul 25 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 127
Thanks TT biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
ros
post Jul 25 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 14,601
It's a great listen, I really enjoyed the banter as well as the serious stuff. cheer.gif

Plenty of anecdotes from Will too,, and usually at his own expense. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 26 2017, 08:36 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Sitting at 4 in the Podcast Chart. Will and Chris must be delighted. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 26 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Will Young reveals why he scrapped a gay kiss from his All Time Love video

11:06 26th July 2017 by Ifan Llewelyn

Comments

CELEBS
Press

Will Young has opened up about being an out gay man in the music industry.

In the first episode of his new podcast Homo Sapien with Chris Sweeney, available for free on iTunes now, the pop star discusses how he was dissuaded from doing an on-screen gay kiss, and dancing with a male mannequin in a music video.

He said: “I remember years ago, I’d probably left T4 or something like that, and was off to a premiere, it was for the song All Time Love and they said, ‘What do you feel about kissing a man on the lips in the video?’.

“I actually rang up my mum and dad, and they were both like ‘Yeah, f*** it, do it’. But I didn’t do it, everyone agreed no, but actually that was only because I was thinking of my career.

“Do the maths – how many people want to see a man kiss a man, in comparison to how many people don’t? More people don’t. But now I slightly regret it.”

Related: This is what happened when Will Young first went on Grindr…

He then went on to talk about a conversation he had with his record label about him dancing with a male mannequin in the music video for Let It Go…

“I danced with a male mannequin and the record company started saying things, trying to get around the fact that they couldn’t say ‘We shouldn’t have this in the video’, because that would seem too homophobic,” he recalled.

“I think one of the marketing guys, I won’t name him, but I’ll put it on Twitter, he said ‘Oh well I just think it would be a reflection of the downward turn of Will’s career’.

“Basically what he wanted to say was ‘He’ll lose records by dancing with a male mannequin’, and to be honest I probably have done. “

Also in the first episode, the pair interviewed journalist Owen Jones, who opened up about his own experiences, being in love with his best-friend who was a Christian Fundamentalist, and of coming out of the closet.

“I just didn’t want to be gay, that’s the brutal truth of it,” he said. “I convinced myself I was bisexual. Bi now, gay later. It’s terrible for genuine bisexuals that, people like me that… people like me who have problems.

“The reason I came out was because I met this guy, who was captain of the rowing team, and when I started going out with him there was a logical ‘Might was well come out now I suppose’.”

Will and Chris’ podcast is available to listen on iTunes now, with new episodes released weekly.

For more information visit homosapienspodcast.com

http://www.gaytimes.co.uk/news/latest/8102...ime-love-video/

This post has been edited by truly talented: Jul 26 2017, 12:00 PM

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 28 2017, 02:54 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Podcast of the week in the Guardian & Radio Times.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... f-the-week

Pick of the week: Homo Sapiens

The first episode of Homo Sapiens (iTunes), a podcast by Will Young and Christopher Sweeney, covers coming out, gay animals, homophobic abuse and more. It “looks at current affairs from an LGBTQ+ perspective”, and is immediately charming, astute and fun.

There are plenty of laughs as Young shares anecdotes about his days as a Pop Idol contender. Although he had already come out to his friends when he joined the reality show, he didn’t feel the need to discuss his sexuality. “It was fairly obvious when I was ­singing Aretha Franklin in a tank top,” he laughs. He dodged the inevitable ­interview questions about who he would like to go on a date with. “I said I’d like to have tea with the Queen.” Later, he rejected the idea of kissing a man in his All Time Love video for pragmatic reasons: “Do the maths. How many people want to see a man kiss a man in comparison to how many don’t?” Still, there were rumblings when he danced with a male mannequin.

He and Sweeney are the perfect ­podcast raconteurs, as comfortable talking about open relationships as they are about the time tonsillitis saved Young from turning up at Elton John’s ball in fancy dress by mistake. Small dogs yap in the background while they mix serious issues with fun. One of those dogs belongs to Guardian writer Owen Jones. Although Jones airs his views at typical breakneck speed, Sweeney and Young’s chat reaches the man behind them, eliciting personal stories, including when he came out to his mum and she “malfunctioned”, ­repeating: “That’s OK, that’s OK …” Jones hits out at what he calls “gender policing”. “When you grow up, you have this expectation of how men should behave … getting into fights, leering at women, being sporty,” he says. “If you don’t abide by that, people go: ‘Stop being such a gay.’ The majority of homophobic abuse – controversial point – is directed at straight men.”

The hosts have a way of taking the pressure off and letting their guests take the microphone. With Rebecca Root, Russell T Davies and John Grant coming up, there is much to look ­forward to.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07- ... mo-sapiens

It was four or five weeks into the 2002 Pop Idol — the first series of the original 21st century TV talent show — when all the contestants were gathered together and the question was asked, “Who would you like to go on a date with?”

Will Young — whose sexuality he had kept hidden from the show — sat there and wondered what to say. He got round the problem with the brilliant answer, “I would like to go and have tea with the Queen”.

It was only after Young won the show and was catapulted to pop stardom that he came out — a landmark moment in recent gay history. Young has never looked back.

The hits have kept coming, he’s had success in acting, he’s made TV documentaries, he’s campaigned against homophobic bullying, he’s been prominent in charity work, he’s had a South Bank Show made about him.

Now, 15 years on from Pop Idol, he has embarked on a new venture, a podcast called Homo Sapiens that he fronts with the film director Chris Sweeney, and it was during their conversation in the first edition that he told that excellent Pop Idol story.

The conversation was a nice mix of the serious and the knockabout, which is the feel of the whole show, and Young and Sweeney are clearly on to something. The idea, they say, is for Homo Sapiens to be an LGBT version of Woman’s Hour, and if that isn’t a gap in the market I don’t know what is.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Jul 28 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
From the Financial Times.

Podcast — Homo Sapiens: a homespun approach to homosexuality

A new series about the LGBT experience has a warm, informal quality

an hour ago

Will Young and Chris Sweeney of the 'Homo Sapiens' podcast
I’ve long been a fan of elegantly produced, big-budget podcasts such as Love + Radio and Radiolab, distinguishable by their smart editing and stylish sound design. At times there has been an almost musical quality to their looped effects and overlapping voices. But Homo Sapiens, a new podcast about the LGBT experience, hosted by British singer Will Young and filmmaker Chris Sweeney, shows there can be virtue in lower-budget DIY productions too, embracing as they do mistakes, unscripted asides and unexpected interruptions from pets.

Homo Sapiens is inspired by Woman’s Hour, the long-running BBC Radio 4 show for and about women, and timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Britain’s Sexual Offences Act, which decriminalised homosexuality. Sweeney, it turns out, likes to travel with his recording equipment, and in the first episode this has allowed him to make use of the pair’s early conversations about the podcast conducted over tea at Young’s iamspamspamamitable. It is, Sweeney says later, “a sketch for what we wanted it to be, with a very gentle soundtrack of dogs barking in the background”.

Young talks movingly about the experience of publicly coming out shortly after appearing on the TV talent show Pop Idol, and recalls debates behind the scenes in the music industry about whether he should kiss a man in his videos (conclusion: no he shouldn’t). In what is essentially a preliminary editorial meeting, it’s decided that they need to tackle what sex means for gay people — “Sex has always started from a place of secrecy for gay men and women,” says Young — and notions of fidelity and monogamy.

Elsewhere in the podcast there is an interview with the journalist and activist Owen Jones (future guests include the trans actress Rebecca Root and the musician John Grant) that takes place at Jones’s flat. In between his recollections of being a working-class gay man at the University of Oxford, his early infatuation with a Christian fundamentalist and his description of coming out as being “like coming up for air”, we hear the insistent yowling of his cat. It’s this on-the-hoof recording and deliberate informality that give Homo Sapiens a warm, homespun quality and make for hugely enjoyable listening.

Over the past six months the podcast Attitude Heroes, from the team behind the gay men’s magazine Attitude, has been conducting in-depth interviews with British queer icons, among them the actor Ian McKellen, TV host Paul O’Grady, comic Stephen K. Amos and screenwriter Russell T. Davis. The latest is with Michael Cashman, the actor, politician and campaigner best known for his groundbreaking role as a gay man, Colin, in the British TV soap EastEnders. It’s a warm, enlightening and often poignant conversation of a 40-year career that shows how far the LGBT community has come in terms of equality, and how much more there is to be done.

+Quote this post
ros
post Jul 28 2017, 11:17 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
It's been very well received. Will and Chris must be thrilled. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
ros
post Aug 1 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Episode 2 up, including a very good interview with John Grant. Really good listen.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/homo-sa...1257514825?mt=2

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Aug 4 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Thanks Ros. I agree another great listen. It was lovely to hear how enthusiastic and ambitious Chris and Will are about this project on 5 live. I hope it takes off for them.

+Quote this post
truly talented
post Aug 12 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
The third episode with Rebecca Root is my favourite so far. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:26 PM