BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Freedom Day In England: July 19th. Good Or Bad Idea?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Freedom Day In England: July 19th. Good Or Bad Idea?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Houdini
post 18th July 2021, 11:37 AM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,725

Tomorrow in England all Covid restrictions will be lifted for the first time since the pandemic started but this is despite rising cases of the virus, particularly the Delta varient of it. Also a large number of people who want to get vaccinated haven't yet received their 2nd jab. Some of the politicians themselves have tested positive for Covid. Certain sectors will benefit financially from restrictions being lifted as more customers will spend money on the services that they provide.

Do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea that all restrictions will be lifted in England?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 18th July 2021, 12:57 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I think it’s about as catastrophically dumb an idea as me responding to my ex and yet here we are

+Quote this post
mald487
post 18th July 2021, 02:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 19,091

It's an awful idea.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 18th July 2021, 04:11 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

Terrible idea.
We'll learn just how bad in about 3-4 weeks and we'll suffer the consequences when we go back into lockdown.

But the government will report on just how well the economy is doing and then will be seen to be doing good when they pay out even more lockdown business grants, putting us further into debt.

This post has been edited by CJK: 18th July 2021, 04:14 PM

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 18th July 2021, 04:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

I think they could have waited AT LEAST a few weeks to open nightclubs and stop some rules but I can sorta see the logic in them trying to let the virus burn through as many hosts as possible in the summer so there's less pressure on the NHS in the winter?

There's absolutely no reason to stop mandating masks or social distancing though. None at all.

As I said in the other thread the fact Scotland (and some of Wales) have been dropping in cases and hospital admissions this month is encouraging for England who seem to be a few weeks behind with effects from the Delta variant.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 18th July 2021, 04:42 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I feel for nightclubs and theatres etc but what to do - opening all at once and especially the announcement of giving personal responsibility for mask wearing was mental - why not do that for wearing seat belts etc, right wing libertarian nonsense!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 18th July 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I can't see this ending at all well, and it's a bit hard for me to see past the inevitability of another lockdown happening in the autumn (if not before)

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 18th July 2021, 04:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I can’t see that happening (hopefully) as I think people who are getting seriously ill are much less than before thankfully but we are waiting on the hundreds of thousands who caught the illness in the past few weeks to see how they fight it.

+Quote this post
shadow2009
post 18th July 2021, 04:54 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,059

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jul 18 2021, 05:44 PM) *
I can't see this ending at all well, and it's a bit hard for me to see past the inevitability of another lockdown happening in the autumn (if not before)

I doubt there'll be another lockdown. The vaccine has changed it from being the main concern being death and hospital admissions to now everyone having to isolate constantly and thus most businesses and NHS being hit for that reason.

There would be zero compliance with another lockdown.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 18th July 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #10
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

No way we lockdown again imo, it’s the end of Johnson if that happens. I also think it’s a terrible idea too, the problems will be far worse. How can you maintain public order, just adds fuel to the anti-vaxxers fire. While hospital admissions will inevitability go up, the speed is much slower so it buys time at least.

I’m for the restrictions ending, if they’re not ending now then they can’t be removed until April 2022. Our peak is going to be in late August/September, delaying restrictions pushes that back to October and not sure that’s a good idea. The government messaging is weak and masks should be enforced, advice should be to not change behaviour too much, continue he vaccine push and a strong message to self isolate if there are symptoms.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 18th July 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

I just have a bad feeling that a lot of people will go wild and the pubs/bars/clubs will be ram packed most of next week. But we'll see.

+Quote this post
T Boy
post 18th July 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Radical Pink Troll
User: 177

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jul 18 2021, 06:30 PM) *
I just have a bad feeling that a lot of people will go wild and the pubs/bars/clubs will be ram packed most of next week. But we'll see.

I’m not entirely sure that will happen. Sure some might, but there are an awful lot of people who say they will still see masks, won’t go out, etc. Personally I’m just going to see what happens.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 18th July 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #13
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I'm not against opening up, I agree it's better now than in September when schools start (I'm hoping to go away for a short UK break in a few weeks myself), but the Tories have ofc. mucked this up as ever by not doing basic things like keeping masks in place or keeping some necessary precautions and just said 'be careful but still do whatever the f*** you like'. Can see this going the way of Netherlands and Spain.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 18th July 2021, 05:58 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

Personally, removing restrictions is the right way forward but they way it's being dealt with is all wrong. Removing every restriction at once is absurd.

In Scotland for instance, no pubs are open past midnight, so no nightcubs are open either, social distancing will remain outdoors and indoors. Facemasks are still compulsory but the restrictions themselves have been loosened so more people can gather etc...

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 18th July 2021, 06:18 PM
Post #15
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jul 18 2021, 06:30 PM) *

I feel like T Boy says, lots of people will be wary and avoid. Most of the people will either be fully vaccinated or are people who don’t really care about covid. Not sure we will see a massive behaviour change, I think people’s behaviour has already changed.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 18th July 2021, 07:07 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Removing all restrictions now seems like a stupid idea. Wait until everybody is vaccinated/has had the opportunity to have the vaccine (not sure what I think about people who choose not to have it)

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 18th July 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #17
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Looking at all the evidence and positions I've seen from scientists, I'd say that from a utilitarian perspective most agree the time is right for most restrictions to be lifted. We are going to have an exit wave, the idea of persuing near zero Covid was recklessly lost in March 2020, but all vulnerable adults have been offered 2 doses of the vaccine and all other adults at least 1 of which we know are ~70-90%+ effective (depending on the number of doses) against preventing hospitalisation and death from the now dominant Delta variant - the link therefore between infection and hospitalisation/death has been somewhat fractured and there will not be a repeat of spring 20 nor autumn/winter 20-21. The benefit of delaying further to allow for even greater vaccine coverage is counterbalanced by that exit wave being delayed until the autumn when outdoor mixing is less possible and pressures on the NHS are on the rise naturally; i.e. if we delay now then we may as well postpone full reopening until Spring 2022.

That said I am uncomfortable with the idea of masking up being left for people to decide (happy with no masks being required in nightclubs with vaccination proof or negative PCR), particularly when prevalence is so high but this government love a good culture war that feeds off a crank minority view that the media have seemingly amplified to deafen us all. Most people will be sensible but removing the legal requirement makes things messy and uncomfortable, but there we are.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 12:48 AM