BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much do you trust politicians?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
How much do you trust politicians?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
vidcapper
post Mar 10 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Banned
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Just how cynical are we about our politicians?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Mar 11 2018, 06:49 AM
Post #2
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Is there anything politicians can do to decrease this mistrust, then?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 11 2018, 09:41 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Don't tell blatant lies. Politicians have always distorted the truth and been selective in their use of statistics, but this government routinely tells (and gets away with) blatant lies. Cameron is largely to blame. With his public school confidence / arrogance (delete as applicable) he could spout any old rubbish and people would believe him. His attitude was "If people expect politicians to lie, why should I disappoint them?".

Of course the Iraq war played a part. While I was fiercely opposed to it, I still think Blair genuinely believed everything he said. His failure was in not questioning the intelligence information sufficiently. If he used his barrister's training, the bit he used was the advice not to ask questions if you didn't already know the answer - just in case it wasn't the answer you wanted. That saw confidence in politicians plummet but Cameron and his ilk haven't even bothered trying to restore confidence.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Mar 11 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #4
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Mar 11 2018, 09:41 AM) *
Don't tell blatant lies. Politicians have always distorted the truth and been selective in their use of statistics, but this government routinely tells (and gets away with) blatant lies. Cameron is largely to blame. With his public school confidence / arrogance (delete as applicable) he could spout any old rubbish and people would believe him. His attitude was "If people expect politicians to lie, why should I disappoint them?".

Of course the Iraq war played a part. While I was fiercely opposed to it, I still think Blair genuinely believed everything he said. His failure was in not questioning the intelligence information sufficiently. If he used his barrister's training, the bit he used was the advice not to ask questions if you didn't already know the answer - just in case it wasn't the answer you wanted. That saw confidence in politicians plummet but Cameron and his ilk haven't even bothered trying to restore confidence.

ISTM it's reached a situation where even if they told the truth, it's unlikely they'd be believed. That effect might partly explain the Brexit result? unsure.gif

[Incidentally, your first sentence had me confused for a second, until I realised that 'Don't' could be read as 'Not'. tongue.gif ]

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Mar 11 2018, 09:56 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:57 AM