BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which artists have we lost to STREAMING?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Feb 15 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #21
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Members
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Adelita @ Feb 15 2021, 05:37 PM) *
Albums that sold over 100k units:
2019: 51 albums
2020: 38 albums

Albums that sold over 200k units:
2019: 13 albums
2020: 7 albums

Albums that went Platinum (300k):
2019: 6 albums
2020: 1 album

Albums that sold over 500k:
2019: 3 albums
2020: 0 albums

Ironic that you use the sales climate argument when that argument is literally in favor of Chromatica and not H2BH. Did you forget that Chromatica was released literally in the middle of a pandemic? Make some sense.
mathswoman.png

I wasn’t calling chromatica a flop, I was just suggesting that Hurts 2B Human wasn’t such a massive flop. But you keep up your stan wars.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 15 2021, 05:43 PM
Post #22
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I definitely don't think we've "lost" P!nk to streaming at all. She's had a few (big) streaming era hits? More than others that have been mentioned tbh.

Edit: lmaoooo I was meant to say ..."a few (big) streaming hits, hasn't she?" Lol sorry it wasn't meant to sound so rude.

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Feb 15 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 82,234
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bjork @ Feb 15 2021, 02:35 PM) *
the one that saddens me the most is Madonna, how she cannot even go top 40 with the album lead single, sad to see :/

This woman has a 40-year career and 63 Top 10 hits in the UK and do you want more? Even her great-grandchildren will be swimming in the money lmao.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 15 2021, 05:46 PM
Post #24
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tafty @ Feb 15 2021, 05:43 PM) *
I definitely don't think we've "lost" P!nk to streaming at all. She's had a few (big) streaming era hits? More than others that have been mentioned tbh.

She’s had hits but she doesn’t stream as well. I don’t think she’s fully lost but she’s phone her way I’d say.

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Feb 15 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 15 2021, 02:39 PM) *
I wasn’t calling chromatica a flop, I was just suggesting that Hurts 2B Human wasn’t such a massive flop. But you keep up your stan wars.

Your weak shade backfired x. happy.gif

+Quote Post
LouisL
post Feb 15 2021, 05:50 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 42,419
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Adelita @ Feb 15 2021, 05:44 PM) *
This woman has a 40-year career and 63 Top 10 hits in the UK and do you want more? Even her great-grandchildren will be swimming in the money lmao.

This thread is about people who don't chart as well in the streaming era. By pointing out her prior singles chart success you're just proving their point

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 15 2021, 05:51 PM
Post #27
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Adelita @ Feb 15 2021, 05:47 PM) *
Your weak shade backfired x. happy.gif

It wasn’t even meant as shade but I should have known you’d take it that way.

Even taking sales and climates out of the question, Chromatic finished 22nd in 2020 and Hurt 2B Human finished 23rd in 2019. In terms of UK success, they’re basically on the same level. My point was simply that you cannot call one a flop and one a success when they’re more or less on the same level. I’m sure you’re mature enough to understand that.

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Feb 15 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Kylie, Bon Jovi, Take That, Madonna, Olly Murs, all have struggled with singles in the streaming era but luckily they are holding up reaosnably well in the albums market.

+Quote Post
Dotty New Year
post Feb 15 2021, 05:54 PM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 122,344
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 15 2021, 05:38 PM) *
I feel like the likes of Kylie and Madonna started to struggle around the turn of the 2010s when CD singles became less readily available in shops (and when Radio 1 stopped playlisting them)

I doubt either of them would have come anyway close to another #1 single in the time since despite streaming, but their complete fall from the charts would have been nowhere near as steep if we were still in a download dominated era. I can see lead singles like Kylie's 'Dancing' making the lower end of the Top 10.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Feb 15 2021, 05:54 PM
Post #30
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Adelita @ Feb 15 2021, 05:44 PM) *

How is this at all relevant to the topic in hand?

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Feb 15 2021, 05:55 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy @ Feb 15 2021, 02:51 PM) *
It wasn’t even meant as shade but I should have known you’d take it that way.

Even taking sales and climates out of the question, Chromatic finished 22nd in 2020 and Hurt 2B Human finished 23rd in 2019. In terms of UK success, they’re basically on the same level. My point was simply that you cannot call one a flop and one a success when they’re more or less on the same level. I’m sure you’re mature enough to understand that.

2019: no pandemic

2020: a worldwide pandemic including a lockdown in the UK

Don't play the fool. happy.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 15 2021, 05:55 PM
Post #32
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I don't think Pink, Kylie, Madonna were the artists I had in mind when creating this thread! These artists haven't been LOST in my opinion and never will be? They have decent album sales/or in Madonna's case, has a greatest hits consistently in the charts due to streaming. Their new single releases have suffered, but I don't think they're 'lost' from the music scene altogether.

I think the UK-centric acts such as Lily Allen, Jessie J etc are good shouts. No-one is streaming their music, they aren't being downloaded anymore and they're pretty much non-existent in the charts over the past few years!

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Feb 15 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

Tbh it felt like Jessie J just gave up, her most recent era wasnt accessible at all with zero promotion. I think she could have got another hit if she actually tried.

+Quote Post
Dotty New Year
post Feb 15 2021, 05:58 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 122,344
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dan :: G @ Feb 15 2021, 05:16 PM) *
they were already on the way out before streaming took off as the dominant consumption method.

Lily of course had the exception of SOWK but that was more so due to John Lewis ads songs being at their peak in public interest.

Lily actually had two more Top 10 singles from that album in 2013/14, I remember because I was listening to it quite a bit at the time.

I grant you her popularity would have sadly dwindled anyway despite streaming but I do think it accelerated it as far as singles chart presence is concerned.

+Quote Post
Adelita
post Feb 15 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 15 2021, 02:54 PM) *
How is this at all relevant to the topic in hand?

Just facts that don't necessarily have to be related to the topic? Madonna has had her time to shine, she's a legend and doesn't need any other Top 40 hit in the UK. happy.gif

OT: Katy Perry & Ke$ha.

+Quote Post
LouisL
post Feb 15 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 42,419
   No Gallery Pics

There's some artists that we lost in the streaming era but I'm not sure if we lost because of the streaming era. Like I doubt Jessie would still be racking up top 40 hits even if streaming never took off (we'll never really know though I suppose)

+Quote Post
BREAKTHETENSION
post Feb 15 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 5,648
   No Gallery Pics

Cheryl (Cole) and Olly Murs are the obvious ones for me, as they were genuinely huge in the download era scoring #1’s, then barely charting in the streaming era.

Kylie, Madonna and Britney were already struggling by 2011, I don’t think streaming can be blamed for their chart demise.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 15 2021, 06:07 PM
Post #38
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Among Haus @ Feb 15 2021, 05:55 PM) *
I don't think Pink, Kylie, Madonna were the artists I had in mind when creating this thread! These artists haven't been LOST in my opinion and never will be? They have decent album sales/or in Madonna's case, has a greatest hits consistently in the charts due to streaming. Their new single releases have suffered, but I don't think they're 'lost' from the music scene altogether.

I think the UK-centric acts such as Lily Allen, Jessie J etc are good shouts. No-one is streaming their music, they aren't being downloaded anymore and they're pretty much non-existent in the charts over the past few years!

It’s hard to think of anyone that we lost BECAUSE of streaming rather than just disappearing anyway. Madonna and Kylie were losing ground already beforehand but it’s clear streaming has led to them not being able to chart their lead singles in the top 40 just for a week like they would have been able to do otherwise. Pink I just feel is going that way.

Jessie J sort of disappeared on her own terms, she hasn’t exactly been trying to get the hits over the last few years.

Lots of bands are in the same position as Madonna and Kylie. The Killers for example would probably be able to land a top 40 lead single without streaming, but they’d still not be having massive hits.

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Feb 15 2021, 06:09 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Madonna, Bon Jovi and Kylie aren't good calls here. Their career started in the 80s and they would struggle anyway just because of the length of their career.

Madonna's back catalogue is streaming ok by the way, she is a nostalgia act, pure and simple (and making good new music too). Bon Jovi's hits have gigantic numbers on Spotify.

Also, Janet, Mariah, Celine... all nostalgia acts these days although Mimi still has her current smash every year thanks to Christmas lol

It's tough to think artists that have fizzled out BECAUSE of streaming as I see most of the artists just have their best before date. Look at Coldplay, whose singles were massive 5 years back but can't now get a hit of any kind.

This post has been edited by Sour Candy: Feb 15 2021, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 15 2021, 06:15 PM
Post #40
Radical Pink Troll
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Sour Candy @ Feb 15 2021, 06:09 PM) *
Madonna, Bon Jovi and Kylie aren't good calls here. Their career started in the 80s and they would struggle anyway just because of the length of their career.

Madonna's back catalogue is streaming ok by the way, she is a nostalgia act, pure and simple (and making good new music too). Bon Jovi's hits have gigantic numbers on Spotify.

Also, Janet, Mariah, Celine... all nostalgia acts these days although Mimi still has her current smash every year thanks to Christmas lol

That reminds me that a lot of older acts have done well in streaming with their Greatest Hits collections. And yet Madonna and Kylie I don’t think I see in the top 100 albums every week.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:19 PM