BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prince ● general discussion, ~let me guide you to the purple rain~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Nov 17 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I have been really getting into the icon recently, after i downloaded 'Ultimate' and have discovered a new love.

I will find time to go through his entire (30+ album) back catalogue but for now the greatest hits collection is enough to make me indulge in the hype.

Are there any Prince fans here? Casual or die-hard? Favourite songs/recommendations? Discuss anything old, new or controversial from the legend~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 17 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #2

wub.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Nov 17 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #3
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

the man is FABULOUS and responsible for a good tenth of my top hundred songs of all time. purple rain + little red corvette + when doves cry are a trifecta of perfection

obviously beyond the classics (I'd pick up the Sign O'The Times and Purple Rain albums as a necessity) is what you'll need recommendations for - i adored his 2006 album 3121, which was far better than it had any right to be given he was off the boil for a solid ten years until then, and chelsea rodgers on the mail-distributed planet earth album is FIYAH

i'd also be a little wary of the ultimate compilation - the tracklisting looks fabulous at first but there are some real dodgy mixes on there. a good guide is to take all the tracks off there and go listen to the originals on spotify to get the ~tru experience~

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 17 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #4

There's just so much of him that i had to go for the easy compilation option. 'Purple Rain' is first on my list though, and then i'll work through the rest after that and keep you posted with how i get on.

I really should have been a fan sooner - been missing out on so much FUNK.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 17 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #5
on a bench in coney island
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I really need to look into his back catalogue too. Like you, I've listened to 'Ultimate' but still only really know the big hits/well known ones.
'I Would Die 4 U' is my absolute favourite. Ever since I saw Bloc Party cover it I've been obsessed with it but I really do need to listen to more of his stuff. With 30+ albums it's just a bit daunting!

Think I'll follow the advice from Queen Cass™ , hopefully there's a lot more that I'll like.

Listening to music like this really makes me wish I was around at the time it was released, to fully appreciate and experience it and just get lost in the excitement of it all!

+Quote Post
ϑЃεβϘ
post Nov 18 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #6
I Was Born Free
Member No.: 1,751
   No Gallery Pics

Listen to anything he did in the 80s.

My favourite is Parade, the one with Kiss, Girls & Boys, Mountains and Anotherloverholenyohead.

Don't forget to watch the Sign o' the Times film as well.

I also think The Hits 3cd package is a better deal (you get a cd of b-sides as well - some of which are brilliant.)

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Nov 18 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

a bonafide genius up to 1993, prolific and inventive, and including the many sideprojects for other acts he was involved in - he generously gave away some great stuff. Then he disappeared up his own proverbial and sabotaged his own career by treating his fans (and record labels) as if they were the enemy, not the best career-moves for a pop star. He always said Prince died in 1993 and The Artist Formerly Known As Prince took over, and he wasn't as good as Prince I'm afraid....

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Dec 8 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #8

So i have taken the advice from here and ditched the 'Ultimate' collection to go back and explore the albums in all of their glory. As you can see i have been thoroughly impressed and have found a new love in him. Downloaded most of them and working through them all gradually. The 'Purple Rain' album as expected is incredible. wub.gif I have 'Sign 'O' the Times' on now and i am moving between huge highs of pleasure to suddenly crashing back down with its tender moments every 5 minutes ('The Cross' in particular <3). Such an experience.

I watched part of the 'Purple Reign' series on the BBC too and gosh i have been missing out on so many *moments* not only musically but as part of his career and legacy and personality.

+Quote Post
Cyrax
post Jan 16 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 10,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ϑЃεβϘ @ Nov 18 2014, 01:32 AM) *
I also think The Hits 3cd package is a better deal (you get a cd of b-sides as well - some of which are brilliant.)

Definitely, not only it's the best introduction to Prince but one of greatest compilation albums ever!

+Quote Post
SunsetSounds
post Jan 28 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 22,889
   No Gallery Pics

I definitely agree about the 3 disc 'The hits/B sides collection. It's a really good introduction to his work. But any of his stuff from the 80's is great. Start with 'Dirty Mind' and work you way trough to 'Lovesexy' (including 'The Black Album'). You won't go wrong with that. As far as his 90's stuff goes i'm not sure since some of it is hard to get hold of. Post 80's stuff I have heard that is good...'Musicology', 'The Rainbow Children' and 'Come' are all good albums.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 22 2018, 05:02 PM
Post #11

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 12 2018, 10:37 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

New Album due on Jay-Z's Tidal network in 2019, and unreleased non-Warner tracks featuring, prior to full release. Whether Jay-Z has had any input into the tracks is unclear, in terms of production and track choice, but it sounds like post-1994 stuff

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 7 2018, 01:35 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Happy 60th Birthday to Prince! heart.gif

A new album is due to be released in September:

Super Deluxe Edition:
Prince / Piano & A Microphone 1983
June 7, 2018 by Paul Sinclairtags
The Prince Estate in partnership with Warner Bros. Records has today announced the release of Piano & A Microphone 1983 a brand new Prince album that features previously unreleased home studio cassette recording of Prince at his piano captured in 1983.

This is effectively a private rehearsal which provides a rare glimpse into Prince’s creative process as he works through songs which include 17 Days and Purple Rain (neither of which would be released until 1984), a cover of Joni Mitchell’s A Case Of You, Strange Relationship (not released until 1987 on Sign O’ The Times) and International Lover.

“This raw, intimate recording, which took place at the start of Prince’s career right before he achieved international stardom, is similar in format to the Piano & A Microphone Tour that he ended his career with in 2016,” said Prince Estate entertainment adviser Troy Carter. “The Estate is excited to be able to give fans a glimpse of his evolution and show how his career ultimately came full circle with just him and his piano.”

This new release will be available as a special CD+vinyl LP deluxe edition which will include a 12-inch booklet featuring brand new liner notes written by Prince’s then engineer Don Batts, as well as candid shots of Prince including never before seen photos. Individual vinyl and CD releases are the other physical options.

Piano & A Microphone 1983 will be issued on 21 September 2018

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 30 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #14

Following on from the re-release of the seminal 'Sign 'O' The Times' album, Prince is riding high in the album charts, looking to re-enter in the top 10! From wikipedia, this edition: The most elaborate reissue contains nine discs with a remaster of the original album, all 13 single, maxi-single and B-sides, 45 previously unreleased tracks and two complete live recordings of the Sign o' the Times Tour: one audio performance recorded at stadium Galgenwaard in Utrecht, The Netherlands, on June 20, 1987, and one video performance shot at Paisley Park on December 31, 1987.[21] In addition a 7" vinyl singles box set which is strictly limited to 1,987 units was released, containing remastered audio for all four official 7” singles released in 1987, as well as the two official Warner Records promo singles and a brand new 7” single comprising two versions of the previously unreleased track “Witness 4 The Prosecution”.

I am listening through the album now and it's such an incredible listen. Not my favourite of his by any means but an exceptional piece of work. There are SO MANY moments: the title track, 'Starfish and Coffee' (a joyous beauty), 'Forever In My Life' (stunner), 'I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man' (one of his best), 'The Cross' (an experience).

What an album! Great to see the re-release bringing it into the limelight again.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 7 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #15

Initially released as an accompaniment to Crystal Ball, Prince's acoustic album The Truth will be issued on vinyl for the very first time on June 12, 2021, as a special @recordstoredayus release from Sony @legacyrecordings.

The Truth is widely regarded as one of Prince’s most under-appreciated hidden gems. It was released in 1998 when Prince was a newly independent artist, and it gave listeners an unprecedented chance to hear his songwriting and voice in a stripped-down presentation.

The @recordstoredayus release of The Truth will be pressed onto black vinyl in a limited quantity of 13,000 copies, with gorgeous, foil-embossed artwork designed by Prince’s long-time art director Steve Parke.

My Prince vinyl collection is building up very healthily! Going to try and get hold of this one too dance.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Dec 21 2021, 11:26 PM
Post #16

On February 4, 2022, The Prince Estate and @legacyrecordings are reissuing a dozen Prince catalog titles onto CD and vinyl, including some that have long been out of print. The reissues span two decades of Prince's early recording career, beginning with his debut album, For You, and including chart-topping Hits 1 and Hits 2 compilations and his final album for @warnerrecords, The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale.

In addition to being widely available on vinyl and CD, iconic albums 1999 and Sign O' The Times will also be pressed onto clear vinyl with white swirl and sold exclusively through @Target and @Walmart, and in very limited quantities at the Prince Store.

--

I have been trying to build my complete Prince studio album vinyl collection (there are SO MANY so it's a tough, tough ask). This will help possibly but also many of the albums I already have. I don't think I can warrent spending more on the new pressings of albums I already have because I have spent so much on him already drama.gif Still - grab them if you're interested!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Dec 22 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #17
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Hits 1 & 2 plus the colourful artwork one that I can never remember the title of may have to be purchased

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Dec 22 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(dandy* @ Dec 22 2021, 05:40 PM) *
Hits 1 & 2 plus the colourful artwork one that I can never remember the title of may have to be purchased

!

Around the World in a Day? thinking.gif I'll also be adding the two Hits albums to my collection.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Dec 22 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Which album was The Most Beautiful Girl In The World taken from? I wish it was on Spotify. sad.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Dec 23 2021, 10:02 AM
Post #20
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofGucci @ Dec 22 2021, 05:47 PM) *
!

Around the World in a Day? thinking.gif I'll also be adding the two Hits albums to my collection.

Yes that’s the one!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:22 PM