BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Christina Aguilera: Singles Rate: RESULTS, WINNER & FULL RESULTS ANNOUNCED...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 27th June 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #41
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

Let's get this to another page...
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th June 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #42
Group icon

She always dreamt of a fairytale life

#20. Oh Mother | 6.833

Highest Scores: 10: (Davidson, Euphorique), 9: (vibe), Lowest Scores: 5/5.5: (Nina West, dandy, Tawdry Hepburn, Scene, Bjork, Slick)

Kicking off the top 20 is Oh Mother, released in November 2007 as the 4th and final single from her 5th studio album Back To Basics for the European market, while Oceania got 'Slow Down Baby'. This also makes the first from that era to drop here & having all 5 singles in the top 20 is quite a feat. The track is a downtempo piano ballad that talks about Christina's abusive childhood & incorporates various various musical instruments, from strings to keyboards. It contains a sample from "Vois Sur Ton Chemin", written by Bruno Coluais and Christopher Barratler. Upon release the song received mainly positive reviews & became a moderate success on the charts, with a top 20 peak in Germany, top 40 peaks in Slovakia & Austria, then making minor dents in Netherlands & Switzerland.

A very slow yet quite a moving number, opening with a gentle piano where Xtina is able to show off her softer ballad vocals, with some really nice vocal harmonies alongside some wonderful strings that helps the few soaring vocals reach further with a flurry of more strings. This is a really nice little song, although I feel its ranked a little too high on here.

This post has been edited by Nina West: 27th June 2020, 12:15 PM

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 27th June 2020, 09:29 PM
Post #43
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

Oh Mother is a beauty wub.gif I think I'd have preferred Slow Down Baby as a single over here but I don't think this got a proper push anyway so wouldn't have made much difference I guess :') I LOVE Beltina but her more restrained moments are equally as gorgeous.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th June 2020, 02:09 AM
Post #44
Group icon

The old me's gone I feel brand new

#19. Not Myself Tonight | 6.891

Highest Scores: 10: (Lukuzz), 9: (ready for it, Slick), Lowest Scores: 2.5: (Jonjo)

At #19 we have the infamous Not Myself Tonight, released in April 2010 as the lead single from her 6th studio album Bionic. Originally "Glam" was considered as the lead single, before Xtina changed her mind to this. Upon release the track received a mixed reception by critics & had moderate impact on the charts with a #23 peak on the US Top 100, but faring much better in the UK with a #12 peak, however it became her first lead single to miss the top 10. Elsewhere it managed top 20 peaks in Canada. Italy, Netherlands & Brazil, while managing top 40 peaks mostly everywhere else. This would mark a major downturn when compared to her previous eras & sadly she would never recover from this.

I remember when this came out & being very unimpressed, especially when compared to her last 2 albums where she'd shown a fair amount of originality on. But here, firstly seeing her play like Lady Gaga in the video, as well as sound & style is very cringey & she's so much better than this. While the song has a well produced beat & plenty of synths to boot, but on the whole there's nothing distinctive or notable about it, apart from Xtina's trademark vocals of course, but even that can't save this from being very bland & lacking that special something that her previous lead singles had up to this point, just very by the numbers & as a comeback single it just doesn't cut it & sadly she would never bounce back from this devestating flop.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th June 2020, 02:22 AM
Post #45
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Literally ZERO melody and this really should be lower. puke.gif

Abysmal.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th June 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Surely if she's playing anybody in the video it's Madonna?

I still give it the occasional listen and it bops, not quite her best but 19th seems a bit harsh.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 28th June 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Not Myself Tonight is more Madonna than Gaga in the video.

It wasn’t a great choice for a lead single though. Bionic the album is very underrated though but releasing this as the lead single was a mistake.

+Quote this post
Nick Jonas
post 28th June 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481

Agreed, I thought it was Madonna in some of the shots.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th June 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #49
Group icon

Some days I'm a super bitch

#18. Keeps Gettin' Better | 7.065

Highest Scores: 10: (Nick F1), 9/9.5: (ready for it, Andrew, #VoteGarden.keh), Lowest Scores: 4.5: (Nina West)

At #18 is the song that marked the end of the first chapter of Xtina's career: Keeps Gettin' Better, released in August 2008 as the lead & only single to be taken from her first greatest hits album titled; Keeps Gettin' Better: A Decade of Hits. This would again mark a change in sound for her, opting for the Electroclash & Electropop sound (quite a stark contrast from the Jazz stylings of her last album). The reason for this was that after giving birth to her son Max, Aguilera looked to "come up with something new and fresh", developing a "futuristic" era of her career. Upon release the song received mixed reviews, but became a success by debuting at #7 on the US Top 100, making this the highest debut of career as well as her 8th & to date final top 10 solo hit over there. Elsewhere it managed a top 5 peak in Canada, as well as top 20 peaks in Italy, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland, UK, Austria & Japan, then finally top 40 peaks everywhere else.

While this would be an interesting indication of where she was going next (even if that did turn out to be something of bust), honestly I've never really clicked with this track. It seemed that with this she was jumping on the latest trends, instead of setting them (like she did with 'Stripped' & 'Back to Basics') & yes Christina always constantly re-invents herself & the Electro Pop can be a fun direction to head into (if done right), but here it felt instantly dated & became quickly forgotten about. However on a more positive note this song is quite catchy & it does sound like she's having fun with the lyrics, this just feels like it could have been sung by just about anyone & doesn't quite have that Xtina charm to it. Not an entirely terrible effort, just a little bland.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th June 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #50
Group icon

I liked KGB. But it's very of it's time (not necessarily in a bad way). It's not aged, brilliantly and it was clear she was trying to jump on the sound that was popular at the time! But it bops!

This being released in that week of 'Womanizer', 'If I Were A Boy', 'Forgive Me' & 'The Boy Does Nothing'... ICONIC

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 28th June 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Nick Jonas @ Jun 28 2020, 05:51 PM) *
Agreed, I thought it was Madonna in some of the shots.

Isn't that video basically a frame-by-frame rip of 'Express Yourself'?

Love KGB! Although I think that was the first sign her career was starting to falter.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 28th June 2020, 07:35 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

Would have had Tell Me in the top 20. Also I love Not Myself Tonight.

Glad I Turn To You is still to come, genuinely thought it would be one of the first ones out

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th June 2020, 07:39 PM
Post #53
Group icon

OMG YES!

'I Turn To You' being top 17 cheeseblock.png

Top 3 Xtina tracks for me wub.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post 28th June 2020, 11:20 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

'I Turn To You' is incredible - I'm so glad it's yet to appear. wub.gif It's one of those songs I wished was performed on X Factor in order to reach a higher peak.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th June 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Saying nothing but a nursery rhyme

#17. Slow Down Baby | 7.238

Highest Scores: 10: (WinterFreeze, Andrew, Nick F1), 9: (Davidson), Lowest Scores: 5/5.5: (Jonjo, dandy, Bjork, Slick)

At #17 is the wonderful Slow Down Baby, released in July 2007 as the 4th single from her 5th studio album Back To Basics, for the Australian market only in order to promote the Oceanian leg of her 'Back to Basics Tour' & managed to reach a #21 peak there, despite receiving any promotion in that country. Although it became her first since 'I Turn To You' to miss the top 10, but still became her 17th top 40 there (& would chart higher than any of the singles from 'Bionic' funnily enough). The track was co-written by Xtina herself as well as Mark Ronson & etc.. as well as being built around samples of 'Window Raisin' Granny" (1973) by American group Gladys Knight and the Pips and "So Seductive" (2005) by American rapper Tony Yayo.

Despite having a slightly different style to the album's previous hits, this fantastic little number still manages to blend right in amongst the other tracks thanks to its blending of modern & old skool R&B tones which gives it that retropop feel & along with its wealth of samples weaves into the track with such ease, thanks to some top-notch production by Mark Ronson & of course Xtina's vocals soars through the track with what seems like minimal effort, giving sass yet adding some firm class. Why wasn't this a proper single, this easily could have smashed everywhere like the big 3, imagine what a music video could have looked like. On the whole a firm highlight from its parent album & a potential lost classic.

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post 28th June 2020, 11:44 PM
Post #56
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161

I wasn't expecting Slow Down Baby in the top 10 as it wasn't a single here but it deserved a better average than 7.2! sad.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew.: 28th June 2020, 11:44 PM

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 28th June 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #57
Group icon

I'll make this an easy one, the next 2 drop will be an debut album single...

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 28th June 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #58
Group icon

I'm gonna predict

16. I Turn To You
15. What A Girl Wants

I think they're my two favourites from the debut era :')

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 29th June 2020, 01:45 AM
Post #59
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Keeps Gettin Better should’ve went sooner than that. I’ll always remember the chart battle of when it was released but the song itself is like not very signature Xtina.

It’s kinda like the real end of an era as far as mainstream solo Xtina goes though. Ever since that Greatest Hits unless she’s been the featured artist on a track we’ve not actually had another hit from her sad.gif

Shocked yet happy I Turn To You hasn’t appeared yet. I love it and think it’s amongst her best for her debut era but I know it’s hit and miss with some people saying it’s dated etc.

I think it’s likely to leave us next though.

I’m definitely intrigued at Stripped era though and how the tracks from that era leave us happy.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 29th June 2020, 03:02 AM
Post #60
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

Nobody Wants To Be Lonely still being in is a nice surprise.

This post has been edited by WinterFreeze: 29th June 2020, 03:02 AM

+Quote this post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 05:06 AM