BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Catfights & Spotlights Discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Simon.
post Nov 5 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
User: 126

Girls
You On A Good Day
No Can Do
Hanging On A Star
Side Chick
Unbreakable Heart
Sunday Rain
Every Heart Broken
Beware
Nothing's As Good As You
Sound Of Goodbye
Can We Call A Truce
About You Now (acoustic)
She's Like A Star (taio cruz feat. sugababes)

Opinions?

Personally I probably go back to this album a lot more than any other of theirs, was easily their weakest singles wise but was full of such strong album tracks. I don't think any other track on this album would have done as well as either 'Girls' or 'No Can Do' at all. Nothing else is single material imo. How would you have handled the releases?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 5 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
I'd have definitely released 'Every Heart Broken' as the second single, especially in the Christmas market.

This album was a bit of a low point, I like a few of the songs (the above mentioned, No Can Do, Hanging On A Star, Side Chick, Nothing's As Good As You) but it does lack singles.

Of course it contained the ultimate low point of their career in 'Girls', which marred it a bit more as well.

+Quote this post
Steve D
post Nov 5 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Is a Moderator :o
User: 7,757
This is the album I go back to most as well. I like all the songs. If released a year earlier I think it could have done really well. You on a Good Day first single fo sho, then any of the amazing ballads for Xmas finishing of with Beware and then Girls as a full on charity release using the reworked version.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Nov 5 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Their best album but was handled ATROCIOUSLY. I'd have released these as the singles:

1. Every Heart Broken (something v different for them, think it would've done them wonders)
2. Side Chick
3. Beware
4. Sunday Rain

And that would've been FLAWLESS.

My rate:

08.0 Girls
07.0 You On A Good Day
09.0 No Can Do
06.0 Hanging On A Star
10.0 Side Chick
09.0 Unbreakable Heart
10.0 Sunday Rain
10.0 Every Heart Broken
10.0 Beware

06.0 Nothing's As Good As You
08.5 Sound Of Goodbye
11.0 Can We Call A Truce
09.0 About You Now (acoustic)
07.0 She's Like A Star (taio cruz feat. sugababes)

+Quote this post
Tsotne
post Nov 6 2014, 07:51 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 21,317
most stylish SB album. Dope and edgy too but needs more strong singles, thats the problem. anyway, love it.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 6 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
QUOTE(CherylStyles @ Nov 5 2014, 10:17 PM) *
1. Every Heart Broken (something v different for them, think it would've done them wonders)
2. Side Chick
3. Beware
4. Sunday Rain

I think if they went ahead with them releases it would have been something like;

1. Every Heart Broken #10 (just because of the hype of a new single)
2. Side Chick #40
3. Beware #30
4. Sunday Rain #70

Roughly, they just don't scream single releases to me unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 6 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Break the tension
I was really banking on 'Every Heart Broken' being the second single and still think it should've been, I think it would have at least matched the #23 of 'No Can Do' if not beaten it and sold the album better over Christmas.

It's powerful and thought provoking, they should've gone with it.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 6 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
But at the same time it's corny as, I doubt a lot of the public would look that far into it, they'd just be like why have they done a song about roughly 8 lads they've dated dying or whatever it is that happens to them laugh.gif

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post Nov 6 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
'Every Heart Broken' definitely should've been the lead single, it's a lot more interesting than f***ing 'Girls' :/

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Nov 6 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
'Girls' did pretty much do the minimum that a Sugababes lead single should've done at that point, so I agree anything on that album could have given them a fleeting top 5 hit in the same way.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 6 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
'Girls' would have also been a number 1 for them no doubt if it was held back the two weeks before peaking as I'm sure was the original plan?

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 6 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #12
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
'Every Heart Broken' would've bombed. 3.0 did not sell ballads, and they wouldn't have with something as disjointed as that either. It'll do as a fan favorite.

'Girls' was the right lead single, even though they probably should've released the Klas Ahlund re-work, but there's just not single material on the album. On one hand I think, how stupid of a commercial girlband not to include massive singles. On the other hand, by 2008 the Sugababes should've been able to sell well on name alone.

Would've liked to see them give 'Side Chick' a try though, simply 'cause it's my favorite Sugababes track. And 'Hot Under the Collar' should've been included over 'Hanging on a Star', which is the worst song on there by some mile.

My major flaw with the album (it's actually close to perfect) is that Heidi doesn't have much to sing. No solo on 'Side Chick', a massive three lines on 'Sunday Rain' and a few embarrassingly short bridges on 'Beware', 'Unbreakable Heart' and 'No Can Do'. I would've been f***ing pissed if I was her. They should've given her another verse here or there.

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 6 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
QUOTE(Atonement @ Nov 6 2014, 09:12 PM) *
My major flaw with the album (it's actually close to perfect) is that Heidi doesn't have much to sing. No solo on 'Side Chick', a massive three lines on 'Sunday Rain' and a few embarrassingly short bridges on 'Beware', 'Unbreakable Heart' and 'No Can Do'. I would've been f***ing pissed if I was her. They should've given her another verse here or there.

I know right! I never understood, to be fair they could have done they did with Three but gave her a couple of other songs to take the lead on, not being on 'Side Chick' was pretty understandable. I don't think that song would have done anything if released either unsure.gif don't think it would appeal to the mainstream.

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 23 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #14
Group icon
QUOTE(Simon. @ Nov 6 2014, 10:16 PM) *
I know right! I never understood, to be fair they could have done they did with Three but gave her a couple of other songs to take the lead on, not being on 'Side Chick' was pretty understandable. I don't think that song would have done anything if released either unsure.gif don't think it would appeal to the mainstream.

Her voice is perfect for 'Sunday Rain'! She should've had lines during Keisha's verse (or the whole verse), Amelle's second verse in 'Unbreakable Heart' and maybe a verse in 'Beware' and then things wouldn't have seemed so unbalanced.

This post has been edited by Atonement: Nov 23 2014, 11:43 AM

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 24 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Wonder what she thinks of that now, surely at the time she must have been like wtf, would she answer on twitter if we asked unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Nov 24 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Probably not! She's too busy answering phone calls *insert that picture of Heidi's face that Pavel always uses*

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 24 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
QUOTE(Atonement @ Nov 24 2014, 03:04 PM) *
Probably not! She's too busy answering phone calls *insert that picture of Heidi's face that Pavel always uses*

When you look at her twitter she always seems to be off out somewhere nice laugh.gif no sign of any work, did Happy Days do okay for her?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 24 2014, 04:21 PM
Post #18
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
I would have liked a release of 'Side Chick'!

It's a great album but it definitely lacked obvious hit singles. I know Girls is hated by many, and I don't love it myself (I liked it more at the time), but I still consider it to be the most obvious launch single over anything else on the album. I think I'm correct in saying that it's the 2nd best selling single by 3.0, and the 4th best selling Sugababes single overall!

+Quote this post
Simon.
post Nov 24 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Sugar Like Apple Pie
QUOTE(-Jay- @ Nov 24 2014, 04:21 PM) *
I think I'm correct in saying that it's the 2nd best selling single by 3.0, and the 4th best selling Sugababes single overall!

The first half is a depressing thought laugh.gif

I think it's the 7th behind, HITH, FLM, Round Round, PTB, Too Lost In You & AYN. Wouldn't be surpised if 'Get Sexy' & 'Overload' have overtaken by now, maybe 'Ugly' too?

This post has been edited by Simon.: Nov 24 2014, 05:32 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Nov 24 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #20
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Only 6 of their singles have gone silver or gold, including 'Girls', so it's within their Top 6! It could well be only their 6th best selling actually - I just discovered that back in 2010 'Girls' was 5th, according to MTV (list posted here). I'd checked the MTV website earlier today and it says it was 4th, but the page isn't working properly any more: http://www.mtv.co.uk/music/charts/sugababes-official-top-20#. So definitely not 4th!

Poor 'Hole In The Head', still hasn't sold its 200,000th copy! sob.gif Weird to think that their #1 single from 2003 has been outsold by a #10!

Gold - Push The Button
Gold - About You Now

Silver - Freak Like Me
Silver - Round Round
Silver - Too Lost In You
Silver - Girls

Everything else sold less than 200,000. sad.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:06 PM