BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> How can we tackle the power of playlists?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jessie Where
post 9th January 2020, 11:38 AM
Post #21
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(aidan755 @ Jan 8 2020, 06:07 PM) *
If I didn't like the song I was listening to then I would just skip it but my stream shouldn't be discounted simply because I'm listening from a curated playlist.

The issue with that is, if you don't "skip" within 30 seconds it counts as a stream. I've accidentally given a 'stream' to a song I hate loads of times because I was preoccupied and didn't press the skip button in time.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mateja
post 9th January 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 15,071

There is no need to tackle the power of playlists. Streaming and playlists are the way music is consumed in 2020. The UK charts are innacurate and rigged enough with the ACR BS, don't go any further.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th January 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #23
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 9 2020, 11:38 AM) *
The issue with that is, if you don't "skip" within 30 seconds it counts as a stream. I've accidentally given a 'stream' to a song I hate loads of times because I was preoccupied and didn't press the skip button in time.

You always say this but I really, really doubt this is a pervasive enough issue that songs people hate are pushed significantly up charts because of it. It's pretty much comparable to people's finger slipping and downloading the wrong song from iTunes (which I definitely did at least once back when I used to download stuff more often).

+Quote this post
hlavkus
post 9th January 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 71,724

I don't see a problem with playlists (especially when they changed the ratio of premium/free streams). However, I would change that you should play at least half of a song for its stream to count (like last.fm does).

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 9th January 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

QUOTE(Frenchie @ Jan 8 2020, 05:41 PM) *
Playlist streams are never gonna be discounted, it's just something that needs to be accepted. Mainly cause why would Spotify and other platforms care about the UK official charts. All they want is too have as many song plays as possible and they get this through popular songs that people like being played through playlists. Also I doubt Spotify can even distinguish between playlist plays and a specific play and why would they care to anyway. I would be intrigued to see the impact a streaming cap would have but also don't see how it could be implemented.

I disagree. There are already many in the industry calling for "lean back" streams to be down-weighted, and I believe it will happen. Of course they have the information!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th January 2020, 12:09 AM
Post #26
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Surely listening to your own playlists can be just as passive as listening to curated playlists.

+Quote this post
ManicKangaroo
post 10th January 2020, 04:27 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,007

But if its your own playlist you have chosen the songs, they were not forced upon you by Spotify

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 04:08 PM