BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
51 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Top of the Pops on Thursdays, bbc 4., Now into 1979
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post May 6 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #321
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Grebo @ May 6 2012, 12:22 AM) *
TBH who cares. They all suck anyway.

Especially Bucks Fizz.

QUOTE(blackcat @ May 6 2012, 12:43 AM) *
LOL!!! Not a big eurovision fan, then, Grebo! Yet there are people out there who love Eurovision................. w00t.gif

Suedehead, nice list. Probably one or two more to be added yet. I think Ireland have won it quite a few times, just can't recall all the acts off the top of my head.

I am in broad agreement with you, Grebo, I don't like eurovision either, the only thing I would say is that without it, maybe ABBA would never have made it big. And I do like some of their stuff, as most pop fans do.

I managed to forget Bucks Fizz laugh.gif I'm not much of a Eurovision fan either although it does seem to have improved in recent years. I've actually started watching it again after a gap of around 30 years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ϑЃεβϘ
post May 6 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #322
I Was Born Free
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,751
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(blackcat @ May 6 2012, 12:43 AM) *
LOL!!! Not a big eurovision fan, then, Grebo! Yet there are people out there who love Eurovision................. w00t.gif

Suedehead, nice list. Probably one or two more to be added yet. I think Ireland have won it quite a few times, just can't recall all the acts off the top of my head.

I am in broad agreement with you, Grebo, I don't like eurovision either, the only thing I would say is that without it, maybe ABBA would never have made it big. And I do like some of their stuff, as most pop fans do.

Nope not a big fan!

But I can always forgive Eurovision just for ABBA. Too many moments of pleasure from them (Mamma Mia not withstanding!)

+Quote Post
richie
post May 7 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #323
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

Hothouse Flowers won for Ireland didn't they? Then there was that awful 'Rock n Roll Kids' song. Forget who did that.

+Quote Post
blackcat
post May 8 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #324
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 13,909
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(richie @ May 7 2012, 03:04 PM) *
Hothouse Flowers won for Ireland didn't they? Then there was that awful 'Rock n Roll Kids' song. Forget who did that.

Yes, I forget who did that rotten "Rock n Roll" song as well, just remember it being a rotten song, basically!

Don't think the Hothouse Flowers won for Ireland, I think, if I remember correctly, they just featured on an Irish hosted edition of the contest.

Suedehead mentioned Sandie Shaw, she was the first British winner of the contest.

I think Sir Cliff may have won on year way back when, as well.

This post has been edited by blackcat: May 8 2012, 04:37 PM

+Quote Post
fiesta
post May 10 2012, 01:50 PM
Post #325
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Lulu was a joint Eurovision winner in 1969 with Boom Bang a Bang

+Quote Post
ϑЃεβϘ
post May 10 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #326
I Was Born Free
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think Cliff ever won it.

Didn't he come second with Congratulations and close but no cigar with something else.

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post May 10 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #327
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 509
   No Gallery Pics

Hothouse Flowers performed an extended version of "Don't Go" at the 1988 contest in Dublin. The contest was won that year by Switzerland who were represented by none other than Celine Dion. Incidentally the director for that year was a man named Declan Lowney who went on to direct the first 2 series of Father Ted so he would have been right at home during the making of the "A Song For Europe" episode.

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post May 10 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #328
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(blackcat @ May 8 2012, 05:34 PM) *
Yes, I forget who did that rotten "Rock n Roll" song as well, just remember it being a rotten song, basically!

Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan!

+Quote Post
Shaky Fan
post May 10 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #329
BuzzJack Gold Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(blackcat @ May 8 2012, 05:34 PM) *
I think Sir Cliff may have won on year way back when, as well.

Second in 1968 with "Congratulations" and third in 1973 with "Power To All Our Friends"

+Quote Post
blackcat
post May 10 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #330
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for all your clarifications, shakyfan, fiesta and others, strange that the UK has not won the eurovision a bit more often over the years, when one considers how many UK acts have been massive selling Worldwide acts. Anybody know which country has won the most times? Doubt if it would be the UK.

No totps 1977 this week, the sky at night reigns supreme on BBC Four at the moment. cry.gif

Back next week, I assume................

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 10 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #331
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

We get two programmes next week with a 1974 Blue Peter in between laugh.gif

+Quote Post
richie
post May 11 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #332
Poet and Storyteller
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 10 2012, 09:38 PM) *
We get two programmes next week with a 1974 Blue Peter in between laugh.gif

Sweet - shame I'll be away on holidays...iPlayer time.

+Quote Post
blackcat
post May 18 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #333
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

Some good soul music in the two editions, as I said before, I do like a bit of soul. Could not remember Denice Williams getting to number one, I must admit, good that one of these quality soul songs that were around at the time sold so well.

Other great soul offerings in the two shows from Stevie Wonder, Rolls Royce, The Detroit Spinners, and even a novelty soul record from the late great Joe Tex, "Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman". I can identify with that sentiment, that's something I occasionally did myself in my night clubbing days with the odd overweight partner!

The 10cc offering was also good, and had a good promotional clip with it, when one considers that the pop music video/MTV was still a few years in the future.

One or two novelty records over the two shows, but generally speaking I don't think that they were bad shows musically, it would get better with punk and New Wave, in my view.

Sadly, one number one record from 1977, probably going to be shown around about July/August, was, of course, I Feel Love. RIP the disco queen.

So all of this good soul music around at the time, how about naming a few soul acts that have got to number one in the UK charts over the years? Denice Williams is your starter for ten!

Of course, might be a question of interpretation here - what exactly qualifies as a soul act? For instance, the Jackson 5's Show You The Way To Go might be classed as a soul song, while later Michael Jackson solo efforts such as Thriller and Bad may be classed as a different musical idiom.................. unsure.gif

In any case, I do enjoy these shows on Thursdays, bring back a lot of good memories, and a lot of good and sometimes not so good sounds.

All the best,

Blackcat. cool.gif

This post has been edited by blackcat: May 18 2012, 09:32 AM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 18 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #334
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

The edited version of the second programme was atrocious. Only Andrew Gold and Deniece Williams were any good. The "historian" who made the series on The 70s which ended this week said that it was a great decade for music. If he was made to watch that 30 minutes on a continuous loop, he might think differently. As for the outfits, what can I say? Green jumpsuits, a shirt made from someone's curtains,... The full version included Hotel California to raise the quality.

The song that started the first show was weird and one that I didn't remember at all. As for that appalling thing with Punch, words cannot describe how bad it was.

Two final points. Note the appearance in the top 30 (at number 30 in the first programme) of Television's Marquee Moon. Things were about to change. Second, a bit of trivia about Deniece Williams. She used to be a backing singer for Stevie Wonder. Her song Free prevented SW from having his first UK number one. He ended up getting there for the first time with the execrable I Just Called To Say I Love You rather than the vastly superior Sir Duke.

+Quote Post
blackcat
post May 18 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #335
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 18 2012, 11:46 AM) *
The edited version of the second programme was atrocious. Only Andrew Gold and Deniece Williams were any good. The "historian" who made the series on The 70s which ended this week said that it was a great decade for music. If he was made to watch that 30 minutes on a continuous loop, he might think differently. As for the outfits, what can I say? Green jumpsuits, a shirt made from someone's curtains,... The full version included Hotel California to raise the quality.

The song that started the first show was weird and one that I didn't remember at all. As for that appalling thing with Punch, words cannot describe how bad it was.

Two final points. Note the appearance in the top 30 (at number 30 in the first programme) of Television's Marquee Moon. Things were about to change. Second, a bit of trivia about Deniece Williams. She used to be a backing singer for Stevie Wonder. Her song Free prevented SW from having his first UK number one. He ended up getting there for the first time with the execrable I Just Called To Say I Love You rather than the vastly superior Sir Duke.

LOL! Yes, as I say, I like a bit of soul music, suedehead, so that made up for all the dross in between!

I agree, I don't remember the very first song either. Nor do I remember that horrible Punch record! Probably just as well!

Yes, I noted Television in the charts, and punk was about to come in (thank goodness). If I remember correctly, I think The Stranglers might have been the first punk act to appear on it.

Note also the play out music - Rod's "The First Cut Is The Deepest". This was the period when a chart battle between Rod and The Pistol's for Jubilee number one was about to take place. Ah, those were the days!!!! Some excitement in music, some controvercy in the papers and on tv, some rebellion in the land!

Never get that now. If someone makes a rebellious sound now, it is on youtube in five minutes and the novelty of the record wears off so quickly!!!

Different era completely now. Worse era? Depends. A fresh faced 16 year old may find today's music brilliant. For me, it was the sixties and at least some of the seventies music that was the best ever.

Alll depends on one's taste.

Thanks for the feedback on Denice Williams.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 20 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #336
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

Here's some info on the mystery band who opened the first show.

http://yesitsnumberone.blogspot.co.uk/2012...amiliarity.html

+Quote Post
Robbie
post May 21 2012, 05:02 PM
Post #337
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 366
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 20 2012, 12:22 PM) *
Here's some info on the mystery band who opened the first show.

http://yesitsnumberone.blogspot.co.uk/2012...amiliarity.html
Thanks for the link! Even I couldn't remember them and I used to buy both Record Mirror and the NME at the time. It does make you wonder how TOTP chose some of the acts back then when no-one had even heard of some of the acts.

+Quote Post
richie
post May 25 2012, 09:49 AM
Post #338
Poet and Storyteller
   No Gallery Pics

I quite enjoyed last night's show - it was the first I'd seen in a few weeks, so the performances were fresh - and no Dead End Kids or Elkie Brooks! Although I suspect they might be back again.

Best of all was the baffling Legs & Co routine for Piero Umiliani - I'd seen a clip of that before, but never the full thing.

Also Sir James being replaced by his twin brother Percy - what fun...

+Quote Post
blackcat
post May 27 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #339
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, I found things to savour as well. Again, good soul from Marvin Gaye - and very good and compelling dancing to it from Legs & Co, if you know what I mean, lads! heart.gif , good soulful cover of Macca's Let 'em In by Billy Paul, and reasonable offerings from 10cc and, of course, the excellent Denice Williams. Some unusual novelty sounds in the programme, very clever novelty record by The Trinidad Oil Company, in which they just sang the months of the year all the way through the song! As novelty records go, quite inventive.

I watched the Saturday edition, which featured extra tracks by Simon May, Kenny Rogers and a very strange offering by Mud, in which the studio lights kept going on and off in tune with the record!

Very appropriate, then, that the best record on the show, in my view, was "Lights Out" by Doctor Feelgood! Their aggressive sound and on stage demeanour was a welcome rest bite from the nice safe records that dominated large parts of the show.

Trivia question for this week, then, please name Doctor Feelgood's biggest UK hit single - should be a piece of cake for anyone who knows their pop stuff.

Second trivia question maybe not so easy, from the top of the head - please name their late great lead vocalist from that seventies era.

All the best. cool.gif

+Quote Post
ϑЃεβϘ
post May 27 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #340
I Was Born Free
   No Gallery Pics

Their lead vocalist was Lee Brilleaux (I think!) and of course their biggest hit was Milk & Alcohol (a hit long after Wilco Johnson had left the band.)

I so love their album Stupidity (a #1 in 1976) especially this corker:

The Julien Temple directed documentary is well worth a watch. It's been on BBC4 a few times.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:27 AM