BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> '...Baby One More Time' named #1 debut single of all time, Rolling Stone
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post May 19 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Rolling Stone has ranked '...Baby One More Time' as the best debut single of all time!

One of those pop manifestos that announces a new sound, a new era, a new century. But most of all, a new star. Planet Earth, meet Britney Jean Spears, the 17-year-old pride of Kentwood, Louisiana. “…Baby One More Time” is an apocalyptic thunder-clap of a song, with Max Martin’s mega-boom production: The only detail he screwed up was the incredibly annoying ellipsis in the title. As Britney told Rolling Stone in 2000, she stayed up late the night before listening to Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” (“What a sexy song”) to get the growl she wanted. “I wanted my voice to be kind of rusty.”

In the great tradition of debut singles, it was a divisive statement that drew a line between past and future. “So much attitude in that song,” Spears said. “I was so happy because there’s a lot of good songs out there, but it’s rare when you can take a song and really put your name all over it and put your personality into it.” With “…Baby One More Time,” this girl changed the sound of pop forever: It’s Britney, bitch. Nothing was ever the same.

cheer.gif

Have a look at the complete ranking here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-li...-time-2-990475/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nick Jonas
post May 19 2020, 09:48 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,481
No Christina. We stan a legend!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 19 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
ABSOLUTELY the right choice, for me. I don't think I've ever come across such a storming debut single in my lifetime before. 'Just Dance' ran it closer than I ever imagined another debut single would, in all honesty. But what a statement with this song. A lot of people will argue that she hasn't bested it since, and that's fair, but I remember the whole hysteria surrounding the song like it was just yesterday! I remember the controversy surrounding her being in a school uniform. I remember watching the video for the first time and thinking... wow. My dad was so excited to show me the song!

Just a STORMING pop single. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Andrew.
post May 19 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #4
Group icon
is in hibernation
User: 21,161
There's a few others I prefer (Just Dance, Genie) but it's without a doubt the most iconic debut anything ever. wub.gif

QUOTE(Nick Jonas @ May 19 2020, 10:48 PM) *
No Christina. We stan a legend!

In the whole top 100? Descostan.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post May 20 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #5
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I suppose Genie in a Bottle might not have made it because technically it's not her debut, given she released Reflection before it?

I'm more concerned that Wannabe is nowhere to be seen thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Slick
post May 20 2020, 08:56 AM
Post #6
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70
One of my favourite songs - never, ever sounds old. I remember hearing it for the first time in primary school, reacting negatively to her voice like "ew who is this croaky bitch." WHO KNEW (not me.)

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post May 20 2020, 03:18 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588
QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 20 2020, 08:43 AM) *
I'm more concerned that Wannabe is nowhere to be seen thinking.gif

I KNOW. If there was ever an iconic debut song and Sound Of The Underground ofcourse..

At the same thing, very deserving for BOTM. I know the word iconic is thrown around way too much, but BOTM definitely deserves that title. From the song to the video, rarely was there an artist who made such an impact with a debut.

+Quote this post
Addy!
post May 20 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
Seriously.

Like there is going to take a century for another debut like hers to come upon us!!!

BOMT is truly Ikonec cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Sempachorra
post May 20 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Let's Go Brandon
User: 421
Great choice for their #1, but they're missing some great classics, and I'm having to side eye some of their choices in the top10...

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post May 20 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
very deserved heart.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post May 20 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Totally deserved! I'm struggling to think of another debut that can match it in quality, hype and promotion.

I still consider this her best, although she has plenty of songs that come close too.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:49 AM