BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Interpreting some of their lyrics
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Piers
post Jan 17 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521
Any of their lyrics ever left you a little confused? Thought I'd start a topic for us to discuss a few songs.

I figure a lot of their songs are just straight-up fun, so I'm not looking for much depth in, say, Spice Up Your Life. But other songs...I do think they're out to say something...I just don't totally follow it.

Probably my #1 case is Northern Star. I know the song is overall about navigating fame, but the meaning of the verses lose me a bit. Wanted to see what you all think.

"They tried to catch a falling star..." I've always taken the opening lines to be about a celeb who cracked to the pressures of fame. "If all the history is true, she's gonna end up just like you. You made it to the other side..." So. Is the implication here that the celeb who cracked will eventually stabilize...just like the unknown celeb (?) that Mel is apparently singing to? (as a side note, Mel C recently shot down the rumor this song is about a conversation with Mel B) "But tell me who will be my guide?" At this point to me, Mel sounds like she's seeking the mentorship of the unknown celeb. However, the following lines seem to reverse the roles. Mel is suddenly the mentor starting with "they build you up" and in the chorus...giving advice about surviving fame, rather than being the person seeking mentorship. Is she singing from the perspective of the unknown celeb? Is the song a conversation between two people? Two different narrators? Also. The second verse after the first chorus confuses things for me a bit more...as it's suddenly about love between two people rather than strictly about navigating fame.

Anyway. Thoughts on it? Like I said, I get the overall message about fame. I'm just lost on the meaning of verses. Any other interpretations? Any songs you've always wanted to clear up?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:19 PM