BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice World The Movie, 1997 • 25th Anniversary
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post Jan 7 2018, 07:27 PM
Post #101
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Not sure actually, quite random!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post May 12 2018, 03:17 PM
Post #102

The most recent episode of Gogglebox included Spiceworld The Movie! As you might expect, the reactions towards their acting was negative :') but some nice comments about them as a music/performing act.

+Quote Post
Icy B
post Nov 13 2018, 08:08 PM
Post #103
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 78,901

Love this film to bits! It’s silly, very British and very self-aware and it’s not like they went out of their way to hide the fact that the girls aren’t actresses or anything. Don’t understand what people find to be so negative about it as it’s pretty clear (in my book at least) that it doesn’t try to be anything more than what it actually is.

QUOTE(DaniSpiceBoy @ Sep 17 2017, 01:24 PM) *
Melanie C will be doing a Q&A at a SpiceWorld screeing in London on September 30th.

I’ve been looking around for information on what was said during this supposed Q&A session but have had no luck in finding any. Do anyone here know more about this?

Amazon seems to be taking pre-orders on a Blu-ray version of the film but without showing a proper release date or an image. (Can’t link them here as I’m not allowed to post any links yet.) Is this actually true or not? I’ve also noticed in the English Wikipedia article for Spice World that it too mentions that a Blu-ray is planned, although not citing any source about it:
QUOTE(Wikipedia)
Spice World: The 20th Anniversary Edition will be released on Blu Ray in the UK and Australia in December 2018 to mark the 20th anniversary of the VHS release. It will feature a new documentary about the film with all five Spice Girls and many apecial guests who featured in the film including Jennifer Saunders , Richard E. Grant, and Meat Loaf.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 14 2018, 10:38 PM
Post #104
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ Jan 7 2018, 05:40 PM) *
The movie is getting a DVD re-release in Australia in February, with new artwork:

I really wish the movie would receive a blu-ray release, it's long overdue. sad.gif

OMG I love that cover wub.gif

I adore the original cover though with the Green SPICE wub.gif

+Quote Post
Piers
post Nov 25 2018, 07:03 AM
Post #105
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 69,521
   No Gallery Pics

I saw it again recently. There's something really unusual about it in retrospect. The girls were the biggest group on the planet at the time Spice World was shot. You'd think it'd be a pretty strictly mainstream effort. Instead, the filmmakers cast a ton of cult actors...and loaded it with bonkers scenes like they intended all along for the thing to be a favorite drag queen midnight movie staple in 20 years. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that.

I actually rather like how weird the movie is. It's endlessly quotable. I just have one major criticism.

They should have recorded the Spice World album before they shot the movie...not during production. To me, the best moments come when the girls are performing...and certainly nothing else in the film comes close to the ending performance of Spice Up Your Life. But there should be more. They had such a command of a stage at that time. The Istanbul concert is a very good showcase of that. Spice World only shows that fact in spurts. Had the album been complete at that time, other songs could've been better incorporated (a performance of Stop, in particular, definitely belongs in there)

Aaaaand I've just typed a lot more than I intended on a weird movie about five popstars that features aliens and a live childbirth scene.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 25 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #106
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

It is ICONIC!!

It's one of the things that makes Spice Girls more iconic than the likes of Backstreet Boys, Destiny's Child and One Direction etc. They had a flipping movie and a play station game for crying out loud! wub.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 26 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #107

Released in cinemas 24 years ago today!

+Quote Post
Spice Girls Net
post Dec 26 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #108
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 64,815
   No Gallery Pics

I saw this with my family on Boxing Day, 1997. The local cinema was packed. Can’t believe it’ll be 25 years next year ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 26 2021, 09:49 PM
Post #109
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay ☆ @ May 12 2018, 03:17 PM) *
The most recent episode of Gogglebox included Spiceworld The Movie! As you might expect, the reactions towards their acting was negative :') but some nice comments about them as a music/performing act.

Still not seen this, do you know what series it was Jay might take a look and see if it is on streaming or Youtube.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Dec 26 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #110

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Dec 26 2021, 09:49 PM) *
Still not seen this, do you know what series it was Jay might take a look and see if it is on streaming or Youtube.

Series 11 - Episode 12! 11th May 2018.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Dec 27 2021, 09:17 AM
Post #111
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Dec 26 2021, 11:21 PM) *
Series 11 - Episode 12! 11th May 2018.

Thank yooou heart.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 21 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #112

Meat Loaf has passed away sad.gif I tend to associate him with Spiceworld The Movie, as that was the first time I became aware of him. RIP cry.gif

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 21 2022, 05:39 PM
Post #113
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217

He had some great songs! Thats the 2nd? actor passing away from Spiceworld if i am right after Roger Moore.

+Quote Post
Piers
post Jan 24 2022, 12:59 AM
Post #114
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 69,521
   No Gallery Pics

I guess my first familiarity with Meat Loaf was hearing I'd Do Anything For Love. Loved both the song and video as a kid. Next...I would have caught him in Spice World. I started watching Rocky Horror Picture Show not long after that (I'm a bonafide fan of the film today). Actually, an actor who played Meat Loaf in a VH1 TV movie used to come speak to my high school every year. He shared the story of hating having to say the line..."So, you mean to tell me after 20 years...I have the #1 record?!" Meat Loaf also has a pretty memorable part in Fight Club.

He really was a very varied guy...and I'd credit him with being someone who redefined what a rock star could look like. I like that his music was kinda halfway between rock and Broadway musical.

His role in Spice World is a fairly random thing, I think. There's part of me that thinks the musicians in it should have all played themselves...instead of getting Elton John as Elton John...and Elvis Costello and Meat Loaf as whatever rando roles they could shove them in. But. Nonetheless, I see Meat Loaf's presence as further proof the filmmakers of Spice World knew it would be a movie for kids in 1997...and a midnight cult film in the decades to come.

+Quote Post
Spice Girls Net
post Jan 24 2022, 11:18 AM
Post #115
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 64,815
   No Gallery Pics

Actors who’ve passed away who appeared in Spiceworld

Richard Briers
Sir Roger Moore
Meat Loaf

+Quote Post
inactiveaccount
post Jan 24 2022, 11:50 AM
Post #116
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

i honestly adore this movie

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Jan 24 2022, 07:53 PM
Post #117
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Piers @ Jan 24 2022, 12:59 AM) *
I guess my first familiarity with Meat Loaf was hearing I'd Do Anything For Love. Loved both the song and video as a kid. Next...I would have caught him in Spice World. I started watching Rocky Horror Picture Show not long after that (I'm a bonafide fan of the film today). Actually, an actor who played Meat Loaf in a VH1 TV movie used to come speak to my high school every year. He shared the story of hating having to say the line..."So, you mean to tell me after 20 years...I have the #1 record?!" Meat Loaf also has a pretty memorable part in Fight Club.

He really was a very varied guy...and I'd credit him with being someone who redefined what a rock star could look like. I like that his music was kinda halfway between rock and Broadway musical.

His role in Spice World is a fairly random thing, I think. There's part of me that thinks the musicians in it should have all played themselves...instead of getting Elton John as Elton John...and Elvis Costello and Meat Loaf as whatever rando roles they could shove them in. But. Nonetheless, I see Meat Loaf's presence as further proof the filmmakers of Spice World knew it would be a movie for kids in 1997...and a midnight cult film in the decades to come.

I kind of thought Elton should have played a different role to himself but then that moment in the corridor is amazing 🤣. Their choices were interesting for sure but getting meatloaf as the bus driver was inspired especially as it gave us the iconic “I love these girls, I’d do anything for these girls… but I won’t do that” 🤣

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jan 31 2022, 01:16 AM
Post #118
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dannjohn @ Jan 24 2022, 11:50 AM) *
i honestly adore this movie

I have great affection for the movie.
The film was always intended for a non serious eye, it was entertaining.

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Feb 16 2022, 01:56 PM
Post #119
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

When the 25th anniversary of this rolls around what do you want? A limited cinema rerelease, blu-ray/dvd 25th anniversary release, added to streaming services?

For me physical media is dead so I'd do a limited cinema run on its release date 26th Dec for a few weeks then add to streaming services on the anniversary of the video release. I'd upload the Mama performance to Youtube too.

+Quote Post
Lukuzz
post Feb 16 2022, 02:00 PM
Post #120
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
Member No.: 1,209

I’d like a blu ray of it. I seen it in the cinema a few years ago so not that bothered about it being screened again in tbh

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:58 AM