BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Madonna memory
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
tommie
post Nov 2 2019, 07:42 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

... my friends mother forbidding us to listen to her.

So sinful.

What's yours? angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 2 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #2
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I bought the Frozen CD single from Woolworths with pocket money (I was 10 years old), despite the fact I didn't know who she was and I hadn't even heard the song! laugh.gif I just remember feeling drawn to the artwork and that I wanted it. Thankfully I liked the song a lot! Good taste at a young age x

+Quote Post
Slick
post Nov 2 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #3
electric butterflies
Group: Members
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

I remember my mum telling me that Madonna always changed her appearance for each new era, which led me (at a very young age) to wonder how anyone ever recognised her...

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 5 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #4
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

My first Madonna memory was the Ray of Light era! More specifically the music videos of Frozen and then Ray of Light. I saw them at a sleepover at my aunt's house and remember being completely enthralled by the visuals of Frozen. I didn't pay attention to music back then and so returned to it some time later and still look back on the visuals of that era as being very special. It's quite haunting looking back at myself then watching the video not knowing that the artist I saw would eventually become my personal musical icon!

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 5 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #5
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I think my first Madonna memory is doing a floor routine as a young gymnast to 'Hung Up'! I also remember my mum playing the 'Music' album a lot in the car.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Nov 5 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #6
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

My earliest memory from what I can genuinely remember is the Hung Up video and being obsessed with that and then the Confessions era.

I then slowly got into her in 2012! I think that was the year she done the Super Bowl. For years many people always told me I’d love Madonna if I went back and properly listened to her and I used to always think BUT... I’d make excuses not too but anyways. I bit the bullet and YouTubed her entire studio albums collection and immediately become a proper Stan. Then when I seen some of the visuals to tracks too I knew what an icon she was and just how much she’s inspired so many artists who I also love.

I remember reading reviews of her albums and at first I thought and imagined Erotica would be my favourite. I was so shocked when I heard Erotica. that I didn’t really stan it very much at all. Ray of Light, Confessions On A Dancefloor and and Like A Prayer are genuinely some of my favourite ever albums

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 5 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I was aware of Madonna in the 80s but I don't have any real memories associated with her until Vogue came along in 1990. I was following the charts more at that time and I was hooked on Vogue as soon as I heard it, everyone loved it. We all used to sing the names section on the bus to school, felt so cool knowing every word and click. We weren't quite cool enough to accompany it with the dance though.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 5 2019, 09:02 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

My mum playing the first two albums and me as a toddler in awe.

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Nov 5 2019, 09:48 PM
Post #9
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think my mum singing along to 'Like a Virgin' whilst doing the housework. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
tommie
post Nov 6 2019, 06:49 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Nov 5 2019, 10:48 PM) *
I think my mum singing along to 'Like a Virgin' whilst doing the housework. laugh.gif

so old x angel.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 6 2019, 01:56 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I used to watch the music channels religiously as a child and I vividly remember 'Ray of Light' being played a lot, even though it must have been the very early 00s. I found the fast moving images so fascinating, as well as the club scenes towards the end. Like how people have 'their' James Bond, the 'Ray of Light' look was 'my' Madonna.

So interesting to read everyone's first Madonna memories. There's so many fantastic moments in Madonna's career, all so different to each other, and seeing them highlighted individually would make you wonder that they belong to the same person. It goes back to what Slick said about how anyone could recognise her due to her ever changing looks.

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Nov 6 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

Mine is Like A Prayer era I really loved back then. When LAP video was released people were shocked about the black Jesus in it. I remember I liked Dear Jessie's video as a little child.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Nov 6 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #13
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Actually I remember the Dear Jessie video as a child too, I thought it was really magical. That should actually be my earliest memory but I'd forgotten all about it until you just mentioned it, I remember asking my dad to buy me the Like a Prayer album instead of The Immaculate Collection because I wanted Dear Jessie so much!

+Quote Post
Monzo
post Nov 7 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 349
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dandy* @ Nov 6 2019, 09:11 PM) *
Actually I remember the Dear Jessie video as a child too, I thought it was really magical.

Dear Jessie is the first Madonna record I bought, better say my mother bought it for me at the local supermarket back then. Until today Dear Jessie is the only Madonna vinyl I own.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 25 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #15
Member No.: 13,007

These are so interesting to read. We love a multi-decade spanning musical icon! heart.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 PM