BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Digital Single Market, implications for the UK music business
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post 8th June 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

Haven't seen much discussion about the EU's Digital Single Market initiative, which has been bubbling in the background for sometime but now looks like it's going to happen pretty soon.

It's a bit complicated and Google doesn't help very much, but these are two good links: 1, 2.

Essentially, it's going to make it easier to buy and use digital goods and services across Europe. And if the info that's come out from Midem today (see this Twitter conversation) is correct, we're going to be able to buy digital singles and albums from European stores. So if a single isn't yet available on UK iTunes, you'll be able to switch to e.g. the German iTunes store and buy it from there.

As Steve from AATW suggests, many people probably won't bother or know they can do it, or won't even know of the single's existence until it's on UK radio, but it makes me wonder if it's going to mean the end of holding back singles for weeks and weeks and force them to release OAOS, and for the media to support it this time, unlike the first time they tried it.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 8th June 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

Interesting that they are finally going to do this - Whilst they say many people want do it or know about it I think that a sizeable chunk of chart fans will, There are SO many songs that Iv loved and have been available for literally months in Europe before reaching the UK that would have got a sale from me had they been available in this manner but due to the long wait times for UK release I was already bored of the song and didn't bother to buy.

It's also another way for iTunes to protect the digital market for a while longer - I haven't read the links but where will the sale count if someone in the UK buys a track from Germany? Towards the German charts?!

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 8th June 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Won't this be similar to the Amazon 'soft release' whereby singles are available on Amazon (see: Wiz Khalifa's “See You Again” which sold 1,558 copies in the week it debuted at 22 before iTunes release then catapulted it to over 150K sales) but don't really sell well until they become visibly available on UK iTunes?

The same can be said of streaming for all but the biggest hits. iTunes really does just dominate and control the market.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: 8th June 2015, 06:48 PM

+Quote this post
Graham A
post 9th June 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 20,299

Physical stores have been doing this for donkey's years. ITunes and Amazon and the branches of other multi-national download sites, will just make them available to buy in the UK stores as an import. Much preferable to all the mucking about setting up accounts with several download sites abroad then signing in just to get one track that isn't yet released in the UK.
The OCC I don't believe will not be able to track sales in other European countries. It would also increase the cost of making the charts if they did. So I can't see that happening. Since they can track download sales from Scotland, I should imagine if someone outside the UK buys from a UK download site, they should be able to remove that sale, if they wish to.

I do think it has more implications for other European Countries than the UK. Many of them have poor access to download sites in their own areas and therefore this means that they get them much easily than now.
It has some big implications for price and tax issues. The price of a download is known to be higher in the UK, but I don't no if this is compared to the USA, which isn't covered by this law anyway, or if the price is lower in other parts of Europe?

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 02:25 PM