BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Treme, from the creators of The Wire
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chris.
post 13th January 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Everything goes numb
User: 4,561

Treme is about a group of musicians and other folks living in the Treme neighborhood of post-Katrina New Orleans. The Wire’s Wendell Pierce, a New Orleans native, will play an accomplished jazz trombonist, and Clark Peters will portray the leader of a Mardi Gras Indian tribe. The rest of the cast includes Steve Zahn, John Goodman, and Melissa Leo.

The series is set to premiere sometime in April on HBO.

--

some quotes from David Simon (creator/writer of Treme and The Wire)

…[Treme]is a little bit different in that it’s a celebration of what we’re capable of as Americans. The Wire tried to imply—and I felt it being from Baltimore, and I think Baltimoreans felt it, but I’m not sure how well it conveyed for the rest of the country—the value of the city as the essential American experience. We’re an urban people. Eighty percent of us live in metro areas. I don’t buy the whole Republican convention with its small-town values and ‘We represent the real Americans.’ I live in Baltimore. I’m concerned with big-city values and I live among real Americans. I could give a f*** about the other 20 percent of the country. I care about how we live together in cities.

New Orleans has created such unique cultural art in terms of music and dance, and it’s a very idiosyncratic culture, it shows the value of what the American melting pot is capable of. It does it in a way that is visual and musical and demonstrable, and it does it in the f***ing street every day. Somehow this city is trying to find a way to endure while the political essence of the country doesn’t give a f***. That, to me, is a fascinating dynamic.

…The thing that American entertainment is consumed with is the individual being bigger than the institution. …’You can’t do that.’ ‘Yes, I can.’ ‘No, you can’t.’ ‘I’ll show you, see?’ And in the end he’s recognized as just a goodhearted rebel with right on his side, and eventually the town realizes that dancing’s not so bad. I can make up a million of ’em. That’s the story we want to be told over and over again. And you know why? Because in our heart of hearts what we know about the 21st century is that every day we’re going to be worth less and less, not more and more.

for the full article from above putting some of that in context: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/david-...hings-the-wire/

------------------

Im going to try to watch this from the start, I have only actually seen the first 2 episodes of The Wire, but it's a case study i'm using in Media so we have looked at it quite in depth, I plan to see it all soon, but The Wire is mega acclaimed and is known as the greatest tv show ever, so lets face it this will be pretty good.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Alex4u
post 14th May 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #2
Group icon
New Entry
User: 10,150
i have not seen it is it on air and at what time?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 09:46 AM