BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rubicon, < Conspiracy thriller >
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jark
post Jul 15 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990

I'm SO EXCITED for this. It's produced by cable network AMC (Breaking Bad, Mad Men) and the pilot aired last month to generate some buzz with the series starting properly on August 1st. The central character, Will Travers, is a super-intelligent widower who works for his father-in-law at a thinktank agency. He spots a pattern across the crosswords in all of the national newspapers and suspects he could be on the verge of uncovering a conspiracy. He takes it to his father-in-law who - bigger spoilers ahead - dismisses it as nothing. The next day his father-in-law, a highly superstitious man, is killed in an 'accident' which Will fears may have been arranged. Elsewhere a wealthy man is prompted to kill himself after discovering a four-leaf clover in his newspaper.

Basically the pilot didn't give much away but it was perhaps one of the most suspenseful television shows I've ever watched. The gloomy camerawork and ultra-cold score actually had me feeling pretty tense LOL. I think this might end up being a seriously big show. Any fans of mystery-sci-fi (Lost springs to mind but this is way darker) or political thrillers (Damages) should probably be engrossed by this.

You can watch it online here. I can't wait for episode 2.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jul 15 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Is Rubicon not a brand of really rather nice fruit juices? heehee.gif Sounds like a good show actually.

+Quote this post
JamesP
post Jul 17 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 4,443
Sounds fairly intriguing actually, I may have to check it out!

+Quote this post
Qween
post Jun 14 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
I don't suppose anyone else watched the full thing then? I absolutely loved it and for various reasons am very annoyed that it wasn't renewed. First and foremost because it is fantastic, brilliantly written, brilliantly acted and so tense. I love that everything is so normal/mundane, it isn't a conspiracy thriller set in massive high rise offices, it all seems very real.

Secondly because the story isn't FINISHED, what happened to Truxton (personally I think he won't have killed himself, despite being told to do so by the other members, but rather sees himself as intergral to the plan and will defy them). Does Will find the DVD?, What happens at the API now that Will has been demoted? Who is Andy really working for? Ugh, it's so annoying knowing we'll never have answers I loved the fact that it kept us guessing throughout though, but never being able to find out the answers just takes away the enjoyment

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post Jun 16 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190
QUOTE(Johnkm @ Jun 14 2011, 11:15 AM) *
I don't suppose anyone else watched the full thing then? I absolutely loved it and for various reasons am very annoyed that it wasn't renewed. First and foremost because it is fantastic, brilliantly written, brilliantly acted and so tense. I love that everything is so normal/mundane, it isn't a conspiracy thriller set in massive high rise offices, it all seems very real.

Just finished watching this show the other day. Really surprised that AMC isn't doing a second series tbh, I thought it would be picked up because AMC seemed to me to be a network that focuses on delivering quality rather than worrying about actual ratings all that much... Mad Men, The Killing, Walking Dead, Rubicon are all incredibly high-quality shows... It was a damn good series, admittedly, it took time to get going and you had to be patient, but when things started coming together and a head of steam built up, it was almost like an unstoppable juggernaut... If it is indeed going to end, at least we can take a certain amount of pleasure in the incredibly ambiguous way the season ended.... "You Can Never Win", seems an even more poignant title to that final episode now.... sleep.gif

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:19 AM