BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snow White Report
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
chrism
post Dec 4 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 377
   No Gallery Pics

Patricia Gardener
Last night was totally fabulous. A great night of entertainment. Beautiful Costumes, an excellent orchestra, sparkling sets and a script which was as funny as XXXX (add your own word there!) Darius was in the kilt for the whole performance. Plenty of sporran swinging during the dance numbers! When "Prince Lorenzo" came on stage the whole place erupted He sang "I just havent met you yet" the Buble song ... then the "clown" Muddles did some patter with him which caused him to sing Non piu from Popstar 2 Operastar which made the audience go nuts again. Further on in the show he sang, "Cant fight the feeling anymore" as a duet with Snow White with her in the forest but he couldnt see her .... nice touch. Later in the show he sang Golddigga with the clowns doing the best sporran wiggling ive ever seen and later on was part of a "Ghostbusters" thing. To finish off he reprised "Cant fight the feeling"

When he was down on one knee to ask Snow White to marry him, there were screams of "No Darius, ask me!!!" from the audience!!!

The performance was dedicated to Gerard Kelly who died It was a very emotional moment

There was a very strict "no pictures or filming" within the theatre so if you are going dont even think about it. You will also need a Glasgow phrasebook because a lot of it is local and very fast!!

As we were coming out the Fire Alarm went off and Strathclyde Fire & Rescue turned out!! Top ending to a fab night only surpassed when Sharon, Andrea her mum and Susan McFarlane and I waited at the Stage Door and we met Darius and his mum Avril

Highly recommended!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
megham
post Dec 4 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 111
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks, Chris.

+Quote Post
prettyinpink
post Dec 4 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 225

sounds wonderful!!

+Quote Post
surrogatemum
post Dec 4 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 7,710
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds great. Do hope I can make it! Sue

+Quote Post
Preston
post Dec 4 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 327
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks, thats a great report. The Stage mag have this listed as opening 9 December and you have to hunt for it.

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Dec 4 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 334
   No Gallery Pics

Great report. Thanks to Pat.

It's lovely that some fans got to see Darius. It must've been pretty cold hanging around waiting.

I'm so glad the panto went well for them all. Nerves must have been particularly strained on first night this year, given the circumstances. They have a lot to live up to.

It's also nice to know we'll see and hear Darius throughout the show.

There can't be many pantos featuring a Mozart aria, sung in Italian.

I know Muddles was down as the Jester on some cast lists. Are the "clowns" the children's chorus?

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Dec 5 2010, 01:12 AM
Post #7
Take me as I am....
Member No.: 321

Thanks. It sounds fantastic.

Can't wait biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Dec 10 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #8
Take me as I am....

QUOTE(Baytree @ Dec 10 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Review of Snow White from Theatre in Scotland
http://www.theatreinscotland.co.uk/front/2...e-seven-dwarfs/

QUOTE(SpamFritter @ Dec 10 2010, 10:09 PM) *
Thanks BT
King’s Theatre, Glasgow
Until: Sunday 9 January 2011
Performance reviewed: Thursday 9 December 2010
Rating: * * * * *

Panto season is in full swing and this year, the King’s tells us the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Normally, when writing about a King’s Theatre panto, the name Gerard Kelly is in there somewhere and this year is no different.

The panto legend may be gone, but I’d like to think he was there with the best view in the house, laughing along with everyone else at the wonderful Gavin Mitchell as he plays Muddles.

Knowing that no one could ever do what Gerard Kelly did, Mitchell doesn’t even try. He changes Kelly’s “Hiya pals!” to “Hiya gang!” and Kelly’s trademark black spiky wig is replaced by a blonde one.

Mitchell has impeccable comedy timing, and is very endearing as Snow White’s best friend, suffering from unrequited love. Stepping into Kelly’s shoes is no easy feat but Mitchell is outstanding.

Prince Lorenzo is played by the charming Darius Campbell (previously Danesh, or some may just know him as Darius). He is certainly a bit of eye candy and wears a kilt well. Although Darius is a seasoned performer, this is his panto debut and he looks like he loves every minute of it.

Barbara Rafferty flies as Queen Morgiana
The wicked Queen Morgiana, complete with convincing cackle, is played by Barbara Rafferty The kids just love to boo the baddy and Rafferty plays up to this well. She also has the honour of being the only cast member who flies.

Queen Morgiana’s henchman, Herman, is played by Steven McNicoll and Snow White is played by Glaswegian, Julie Matheson.

We have no Disney dwarfs in this show. Instead we have Prof, Grumbly, Blusher, Snoozy, Loopy, Sniffly and Cheeky.

The set is fantastic. Glitter galore with an impressive magic mirror and a cute little cottage complete with mini beds.

Now for the songs, the most important ingredient of any panto:

Snow White at the King’s includes Michael Buble’s ‘I Just Haven’t Met You Yet’ (cue the screaming girls in the audience), ‘I’ve Got a Feeling’ by the Black Eyed Peas, Glee’s ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ as well as songs for the ‘older’ members of the audience such as: ‘I’ve Had (the Time of My Life)’ ‘She Had It Coming’ and ‘Celebrate’. Snow White wouldn’t be complete without ‘Heigh Ho’ and ‘Whistle While You Work’ too.

Attending the show with a five year old, I was able to look at it from his point of view. As this was his first pantomime, his initial reaction involved google eyes and his jaw on the floor. This soon became shouting “IT’S BEHIND YOU” at the top of his lungs and singing and dancing along to the songs. He later told me he loved Snow White because she was very pretty and that his favourite scene was the Ghostbusters scene.

Darius Campbell, Gavin Mitchell and Steven McNicoll
At the curtain call, Gavin Mitchell spoke with fondness of his “dear friend” Gerard Kelly, which resulted in a standing ovation and lengthy applause from the audience for the panto favourite. Mitchell was visibly moved by this gesture.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at the King’s Theatre is a MUST-SEE this festive season – with or without kids – and receives two thumbs up from the child and five stars from the big child.

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Dec 12 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #9
Take me as I am....

Just bringing this over....

QUOTE(SpamFritter @ Dec 12 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Well we made it to Glasgow to see the show yesterday.

Roads clear except for a 20min wait whilst some escaped sheep were removed from the M6 just before Penrith.

We ate lunch/tea then headed to the stage door and caught Darius for a brief few minutes, enough to take a photo each but not one on his own.....

Then we went for coffee till it was time to watch the show.

It was hilarious laugh.gif
Some of the funniest bits were when Darius and the others on stage couldn't get their lines out for laughing.
Considering this was their 3rd show of the day it was a wonder they still laughed at the jokes....it was so funny.

His singing was great but his part wasn't strong enough for him to get his teeth into especially after playing Rhett.

If it was closer I would have re-booked.

He was in a hurry at the end of the show with a taxi waiting so just managed a 'sorry guys must dash'.

The journey back had a few hairy moment when we kept driving into thick fog.
We stopped about 22 miles from Lancaster as I was getting very tired and the car park was very icy which was a worry for the rest of the journey.
Luckily we did have too far to go.

Arrived safe and sound about 1am.
Well worth the trip.

QUOTE(SpamFritter @ Dec 12 2010, 11:02 AM) *
Sorry should have said the theatre was pack for the 2pm and 7pm shows, don't know about the 10am.

The kids + loads of adults were in full swing with the panto spirit.

Excellent.

+Quote Post
Nina
post Dec 12 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 3,884
   No Gallery Pics

It was a fun show, lots of adult jokes, which was good and the funniest was Darius trying not to laugh. The kilt looked great.

Pam did very well to get us there and back and in avoiding the rabbit that crossed our path as we turned into the service station late at night

+Quote Post
prettyinpink
post Dec 12 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member

sounds great! glad you got there and back ok

+Quote Post
Nina
post Dec 12 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Here are a few screen caps. Sorry they aren't better.

+Quote Post
prettyinpink
post Dec 12 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member

thanks, lovely

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Dec 12 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #14
Take me as I am....

They are great Nina.....thanks

They all looked great in the blue and silver. Wonderful end.

Glad you got home ok smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nina
post Dec 13 2010, 06:02 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks very much Pam. The train actually got in early.

+Quote Post
darius4me
post Dec 13 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 2,126
   No Gallery Pics

WOW !Fantastic pics Nina. wub.gif ......thanx for posting them on and sharing with all of us! thumbup.gif
So glad that you all had such an Amasing time seeing Darius in this!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bramley
post Dec 13 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 3,219
   No Gallery Pics

Lovely photos Nina.....glad you and Pam enjoyed the show. Hope BT on Wed and Sue on Friday manage to reach the theatre.
The snow is said to be returning mid-week.

This post has been edited by Bramley: Dec 14 2010, 12:09 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:11 AM