BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Terra Avium National Thread, BJSC CLII: :o
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post 12th January 2021, 08:50 AM
Post #241
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

People not reading my rambling confirmed cry.gif kink.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 14th April 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #242
Group icon

I've decided I'm only gonna update when I feel I have something particular to say about my entry x

-x-

BJSC CXXXIV: Sorrow for an Unfinished Dream

Following on from one of our most successful entries to a DNQ, one would think we'd want to play it safe to get back to our Q streak but sod that, instead let's send our longest ever entry! cheer.gif I like to live dangerously x

It's been a while since we've sent post-rock (none since Time (Inception) way back in 2016), it can be hard to find standout examples of the genre, but we certainly have here. Taken from the similarly titled, Sorrow for an Unfinished Dream by the Iranian post-rock group, Crows in the Rain, Unfinished Dream of Sadako is a gloriously building ambient piece that unfolds itself gradually before reaching soaring heights and then winding down throughout its hefty, near eleven minute runtime.

The Sadako in the title is not the Ring character, but actually Sadako Sasaki who (to quote vimeo) as a Japanese girl who was 2 years old when an American atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, near her home next to the Misasa Bridge but survived. Sasaki became one of the most widely known hibakusha – a Japanese term meaning "bomb-affected person". She is remembered through the story of the one thousand origami cranes she folded before her death, and is to this day a symbol of the innocent victims of nuclear warfare. The sombre and sometimes scarily shrill guitar throughout could reflect the grandeur of effort of unrealised dreams.

Many beautiful examples of the imagery such as the origami crane can be found in the video which is sadly only available on Vimeo, it also abridges the song a bit to a more manageable 6:30, so those of you allergic to long songs may want to use this one (and do give it a watch anyway, it's got some beautiful visuals in):

But I personally think the song is at its very best in its original length, so if you're into this sort of thing (and I'm not anticipating this will convert anyone that isn't x), please do check out the extended version as it really makes the most of the glorious build-up and is a truly spellbinding ten minutes:

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd April 2021, 08:38 PM
Post #243
Group icon

So we qualified yay! Thank you muchly to all who voted, we hope some peeps that were in Semi 1 can get some enjoyment this too and we can get a semi-respectable final position x

Also, thanks to the wonderfully charitable and hard-working hosts and our own flag going AWOL apart from avatar form now Tinypic has died, we have a new flag yahoo.gif We are quite the fans of this Egyptian style and while it may be as wistful as our old one, it's the more dynamic look that we need right now (as well as y'know, resembling a flag rather than some text photoshopped on an image!)

Thanks once again to Jafet for the awesome job heart.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th June 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #244
Group icon

Times have changed. The Birds are no more, after being let out of our hiding place for the first time, we have overthrown those petty feathered beasts and now reign supreme as masters of the land. Now we have done this, nothing can stop us from taking the BJSC world! The first stage will be hypnotising all countries into submission with indoctrinating material mashed into a song of some kind. First we will win this song contest and then the world. There is no if. Your new world leaders are here. LOBSTER SUPREMACY.

(will I get bored of this after a month, maybe)

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 9th June 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #245
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

I can't help but chuckle at this new country name laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th July 2021, 04:12 PM
Post #246
Group icon

New takeover at the top

Democracy has resumed in the state of Terra Avium as after (through much propaganda and suspected foul play) the lobsters got their way to the final of BuzzjackFestivalen with their national anthem, they were under the impression that they would go unchallenged from here on out thanks to all the work already done and win. However this was not the case as they instead found themselves joint last, it was enough to make the leadership go awry and for the secret society of crisis management avian kind to call a coup and retake the land. This experience has made the birds considerably more united and has made up for many of their past political problems.

BJSC CXXXVI: Reclaiming the streets

In celebration of our defeat against the lobsters, the avian community has selected this triumphant and blissfully produced track from previous contest entrant Richard Hawley. We feel a change of mood is needed after the generally moody and dark feel of our entries in the first part of the year and this Smiths/Bowie/Orbison esque, string-laden love song perfectly encapsulates that mood, let's hope the streets of the semis are ours as well x

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 22nd January 2022, 02:58 PM
Post #247
Group icon

...Happy New Year!

COUNTDOWN TO 100

The nation of birds is stoked to be just two contests away from their 100th contest, our entry is already selected and we have a few festivities to go over to mark the occasion. Watch this space for more, but for now, let's see what flying successes we have for you between now and then

BJSC CXLI: I'm so mysterious...

Our 98th entry is an artist we never expected to be sending, two points to their former entry Golden Ticket sent over forty contests ago is the extent of our past affection for Highasakite, that is until they come back with a near ten-minute song which drastically changed what we thought we knew of them. Starting as a more blogpop-esque song that didn't hit me instantly, but I grew to appreciate its intense feel and emotive vocals with some captivating lyrics over anxieties and paranoia of women in society, and it helps pave the way for the entrancing entirely instrumental second half in which it gives into the rave in a big way as it becomes a constantly building, trance-esque number with some hushed, muffled spoken word samples. I like how the production building complements the theme of growing anxiety. The package as a whole is a serious standout moment that I never quite expected from the artist.

The unusual amount of veto points this entry picked up has been controversial and some have put it down to the ever dastardly, anti-establishment Magpies who took a heavy interest in the public vote, the avian public await as to what the outcome of this out of character moment will be...thinking.gif

+Quote this post
uhsting
post 23rd January 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #248
Group icon
I feel it COMING!
Pronouns: he/they
User: 77,363

Really enjoyed this song from start to finish and I equally love both parts of the song. The production is extraordinary and I hope this song could win the entire competition. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th March 2022, 07:23 PM
Post #249
Group icon

BJSC CXLII: One Hundred Bird Calls

Well, hello there, it's finally here...ohmy.gif

The birds are celebrating their 100th entry in this contest, yes 100 contests of me pretending to be a country of birds on the internet, one could wonder if I needed to get out a bit more, but who cares about that, it's time to celebrate and this time we are bringing back an old favourite of Terra's with what is for us, certainly one of their most striking and beautiful entries yet

Thomas Bergersen (the founder/basically synonymous with Two Steps From Hell) has provided two of our greatest successes in the past with Miracles and Christmas Medley, but perhaps crucially, their epic modern classical soundtracks have come to influence our sound quite a lot and have caught on in the BJSC public in a big way, even going on to win for other participants, indeed, it's our one case in which we can truly claim to be tastemakers. So it is only fitting that he be our anniversary artist with fittingly, a one million subscribers special track for him released three years ago, however as of last year, it is now available on his most recent Humanity album.

Across nine minutes, Bergersen somehow manages to capture the sound of the whole world and the plethora of cultures that come with it, from silent Japanese electronica esque opening, it gradually journeys through Middle Eastern beats, tribal drums, fiddle solos and a constant rousing chant which really brings the unifying spirit that the world needs right now. It's one of my favourite songs of recent times and I'm extremely thrilled to share it with you all on our centennial <3

Listen to it and all* of my 100 entries on the below playlist and stay tuned for some celebratory countdowns and stats that will follow (that I am to finish this time x)

*Not quite all I'm afraid, many of these were mp3s only I can access oop but it'll certainly have most recent ones x

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 29th March 2022, 02:29 PM
Post #250
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

An absolutely awesome entry Chez, there are a lot of strong songs - especially in your semi - but it's clearly not going to have trouble qualifying and what a wonderful and unique winner it would make.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th April 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #251
Group icon

Thank you and the many others who voted to give us our third bronze medal! We were nail-bitingly close to both a win and yet another second place which would've made us alternately jump for joy and scream in despair, but we'll take this middle ground as it makes our final medal table look very neat and gives us the next 100 contests to get the three wins to match cool.gif

For the second part of these celebrations and in the interim between contests, I will now be doing a dual countdown of both a ranking of my 100 entries and...while I could attempt a top 100 BJSC discoveries list, it would be all over the place and inconsistent with entries in the past so I will instead rank my 100 18/12 pointers, I'll include some slight anecdotes for each one, not too much as partly as I don't wanna burn myself out so I don't finish it (whistle.gif) but also, I've waxed lyrical about all of these many times over the past decade, there isn't much else I can say but just fondly look back at them!

I'm going to hopefully aim to finish this over the next week, do feel free to comment, I don't expect anyone will until their entry comes up anyway kink.gif, but any reading is welcome. I'd like to do this however much interest there is as my own self-indulgent tribute to the last ten years at BJSC.

Before we start, my Points Received & Given

Points given:
619 Persephonia
490 Jadakissnia
418 Fljσtavνk
380 Trifoski
355 Aeroche
329 Rolloland
285 Quintessa
268 Skall
258 FSR Rontvia
233 Danζviia
229 N DNTN
225 Kluminican Republic
224 Cumulonimbia
224 Utopia
220 Espen
212 Sιyetana
199 Dobago
192 Bψtanikkδ
187 Land of DW
184 #00274E
180 Aelandor
173 Tartford
171 Summericia
148 Elλdan
142 Deandria
138 Singerpurear
134 Lotunia
118 FARC
113 Cowtermont
110 Kathaldazia
104 Kylienips
103 Altyr Muunilinst
99 Ethanola
89 Caerfyrddia
87 Greenfroze
84 Thelonia
84 Tinnmark
84 Vόlkyria
83 Arcodesia
83 Niceland
82 Suedeonia
78 Republic of Adonia
77 Helgon
74 Ramrynia
73 Cor Lupus
71 Desbuanda
71 East Rukahavian
71 PRoJ
66 Beaverdonia
66 Oslol
63 Ojnoj
63 Pupok
59 Unovia
57 Ingermanlandia
55 Florina
54 Cadelicia
52 Medhelnia
46 New Lexico
45 Aquafina
45 Zechonia
44 D'yermak'er
43 Rιpublique d'Αskorza
42 Bignia-Zaragovina
41 Harmonica
41 Numayania
41 Varakλ
40 Isconia
39 Sovarasma
37 Jupiterdonia
36 Flynnonda
36 Taahino
35 Hendinia
31 Zanmatony
29 Wholune
27 Mulgracia
27 Sandebφrg
25 Buzzjack Mountain
25 Daehun
24 Yehesi
22 Alteria
22 N-Lazone
22 Pagasa
19 B.a.N.G
18 Scherzland
18 St. Burbia
17 Batidas
17 Mdiče
16 Hushkanukia
16 Ultraviolenceland
14 Umiiruka
13 Ambienta
13 Avalonia
13 Triangledonia
13 United States of Jack
13 What
12 (The Actual Republic of) Bellamia
11 Aprogonia
10 Herzebania
9 Azure
9 Sandιnia
8 Aesthetica
8 Juranabaijan
8 Lake Thermwoods
8 Llewandia
7 Fervorosia
7 Jayrusalem
7 Lookylion
6 Dalisska
6 Holland-Oats
6 Pestolia
6 Qδrenfanghoney
5 Mosquetania
4 Farahtyn
4 Sangria
3 Ajanaeda
3 Cascadia
3 Jδrkangel
3 Palmyra
2 Brechtoria
2 Joedonia
2 Land of Jack
2 Launiηa
2 POPHub
1 FNT Nickodonia
1 Kingdom of Shadow

Points received:
464 Persephonia
463 Sιyetana
414 Jadakissnia
352 Skall
324 Fljσtavνk
314 Suedeonia
300 Land of DW
297 Aelandor
284 Espen
270 Rolloland
254 Danζviia
236 East Rukahavian
206 Dobago
205 Utopia
194 Flynnonda
193 Bψtanikkδ
188 Quintessa
187 Aeroche
178 Elλdan
169 D'yermak'er
169 Summericia
165 Singerpurear
163 Avalonia
161 Trifoski
153 FSR Rontvia
151 Kluminican Republic
149 Deandria
145 Beaverdonia
138 Kylienips
138 Tartford
137 Cumulonimbia
120 N DNTN
119 Lotunia
116 Republic of Adonia
114 Tinnmark
105 Altyr Muunilinst
104 St. Burbia
102 Cadelicia
101 Pupok
93 New Lexico
83 Buzzjack Mountain
82 Ojnoj
80 Thelonia
80 Wholune
78 Desbuanda
71 FARC
69 Cowtermont
68 #00274E
67 Cor Lupus
65 Helgon
59 PRoJ
58 Niceland
57 Hendinia
53 Greenfroze
52 Mulgracia
52 Vόlkyria
51 Arcodesia
47 Ethanola
47 Rιpublique d'Αskorza
47 Varakλ
46 Harmonica
45 Isconia
43 Florina
42 Kathaldazia
38 Holland-Oats
38 Jupiterdonia
38 Taahino
37 Mdiče
37 Sovarasma
35 Jukianiλ
33 Aesthetica
30 Daehun
29 Zanmatony
28 Numayania
28 Zechonia
26 Triangledonia
25 Bignia-Zaragovina
24 B.a.N.G
23 N-Lazone
22 Bhangra
22 Oslol
21 POPHub
21 Ultraviolenceland
20 Aquafina
20 Unovia
18 Lake Thermwoods
17 Brechtoria
17 Sandebφrg
16 Medhelnia
15 Dalisska
15 Pagasa
15 Palmyra
14 Yehesi
13 Juranabaijan
12 Eastovka
12 Sangria
10 Euphoriffith
10 FNT Nickodonia
10 Hushkanukia
9 Alteria
9 Batidas
9 Mosquetania
9 Ramrynia
8 Ambienta
8 Farahtyn
8 Qδrenfanghoney
8 Sandιnia
8 Scherzland
7 (The Actual Republic of) Bellamia
7 Umiiruka
6 Caerfyrddia
6 Ingermanlandia
5 United States of Jack
3 Land of Jack
3 UnoShake
2 Ajanaeda
2 Frandoot
2 Joedonia
1 Budtar

and we'll start in the next post, here's a lil patchwork I made that could remind you of my past entries x

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th April 2022, 03:12 PM
Post #252
Group icon

Terra Avium entries 91-100 AKA The ones I probably could do without

91. Slow Magic - Girls (36th entry, BJSC 78, 38th)
A bloopy and bleepy entry that I was drawn to from the rather serene enigmatic electronic music of this group, in fact there were others I enjoyed, but they were so subtle, I went with this one as it seemed a bit more accessible, but even then it didn't do great. It's a pleasant electronic soundscape, but I haven't really gone back to it or a lot by them much since I entered it so maybe it was just a passing phase x

92. Summer Heart - U Got All I'm Looking 4 (26th entry, BJSC 68, DNQ)
Well this one's a rather odd choice from me looking back, bit like Owl City meets James Bay. It has a very nice guitar line and sounds nice in the sunny weather, but I'm not sure how I thought this would be a suitable hit for BJSC and it suitably bombed, I come back his other song I Wanna Go a lot more.

93. Jaimeson - Complete (28th entry, BJSC 70, 30th)
Yes, I managed to sneak a top 20 hit from 2003 in here somehow, this is another one that sticks out a bit and I can't really remember why I was compelled to send this, I may have discovered it from a Now album or something and I didn't have anything else, it's still a nice song, just a weird entry. It had the honour of being my 4th wooden spoon x

94. MΦWE - Birds Flying High (31st entry, BJSC 73, 22nd)
I mean it took me long enough to send a song with Bird in the title and I was briefly quite into the then-interesting tropical house trend, over time, my opinion of that genre has definitely soured and as a result, this one doesn't interest me much anymore. It's a decent use of a sample, but too long and never really *ahem* flies.

95. The Snake Charmer – Nageena (Siren of the Sands) (75th entry, BJSC 118, 40th)
My only fairly recent entry to be in my bottom 10, which certainly doesn't bode well for future rankings. It's a very cool bagpipes and Middle Eastern-inspired entry and great title and video, but sadly I was just really drawn to that genre tag on reddit without really realising that the song itself was just a tad too repetitive to really hit hard. Shout out to the iconic 1 minute long Youtuber outro though x

96. Dreamtrak - Odyssey Part 2 (A.G Cook Remix) (18th entry, BJSC 59, 16th)
I know this one has or had some vocal fans, so this is perhaps harsh, but idk, it's a little...dated? This was around the breakout of PC Music and the like and I just feel it's evolved or moved on quite a bit from this, it's still got some rather iconic lines and a great bassline and was actually one of my most successful entries statistically so I can't complain too much, I just wish I'd actually sent the instrumental non-remixed one as that is still brilliant.

97. Forss - In Paradisum (5th entry, BJSC 46, DNQ)
OK, let's get to the worst of my 2012 flops. This was my first proper "alternative" entry (I do remember distinctly a time, the general outlook of the entries became less exclusively pop-oriented and more experimental entries seemed to be finding more of an audience, it was also the time my own tastes started to expand to more buried, obscure finds rather than popular publication's new music recommendations), I was kind of hoping to appeal to that crowd, but really I could've picked one that had a bit more oomph to it. I loved it at the time, but as I've managed to find more powerful examples of this genre, it's faded a bit with time.

98. Starsmith - Zeros (7th entry, BJSC 48, DNQ)
My first proper instrumental entry and I was definitely still learning...this does just kind of build and build yet doesn't reach a satisfactory climax. There's much better to come thankfully!

99. The Bullitts - World Inside Your Rainbow (6th entry, BJSC 47, DNQ)
Some day I will realise how I thought a cod-reggae pop thing would be a good BJSC entry and stop my constant BJSC flops, but that day has still never come x

100. I Am A Camera - Factory Boys (4th entry, BJSC 45, DNQ)
This gets the bottom slot just because it's the worst example I can remember of me picking what I thought was a hit over my favourite song at the time. It was between this (whom I saw had past BJSC success and it was a female synthpop song which I thought would be gold dust x) and Of Monsters & Men's Dirty Paws...which being a bit more 'indie', I was hesitant towards (stupidly looking back as it would've done great), in the end I went with what I thought was the easy hit and sadly after Little Talks blew up around the same time, I couldn't enter this other one (which still sounds amazing) for the foreseeable, I was left disappointed on all fronts. Moral of the story: send what you love x I never really come back to this and it's a fitting last placer.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 9th April 2022, 03:52 PM
Post #253
Group icon

Terra Avium Top Pointers ranking 91-100

(I will include the top 3 of that contest alongside the top pointer)

91. Fallgrapp – Vlasy (Persephonia, BJSC 89)
Runners up: Christopher Tin – Temen Oblak (Seyetana), Ou Est Le Swimming Pool – Dance the Way I Feel (Medhelnia)
My top pointed nation still and so it's no surprise that Persephonia have 12 (!) featuring in here, this one thought I'm not quite sure was worth it, it has a wonderful intro and excellent desolate production when it's allowed to settle, but the rest of the song doesn't quite come to the same level. Still good though x Think Medhelnia was the one that has stuck with me the most of that top three.

92. Mike Mareen – Love Spy (Skall, BJSC 99)
Runners up: Solarstone with Giuseppe Ottaviani – Falcons (Deandria), Zola Jesus – Exhumed (Desbuanda)
Another country that is no stranger to my top points as we'll find out, this 80s throwback entry was a treat and has a great instrumental, but that's kind of it but it hasn't held up as well as their other 80s throwback (Bye Bye Mi Amour) in my book. Can't think why I was drawn to this over the other two.

93. Boris Brejcha – Gravity (feat. Laura Korinth) (Danaeviia, BJSC 125)
Runners up: HAARM – Better Friend (Rolloland), Africa Express – City In Lights (feat. Georgia, Mahotella Queens, Otim Alpha & Nick Zinner) (Suedeonia)
Danaelanda/Danaeviia only have two top pointers from me which did surprise me and it surprised me even more to recall this was one of them as I must confess I don't have a huge memory of it even if it was just two years ago! Coming back to it, it does have some nice atmospheric piano and synths. I think this may have just been a victim of 2020 being a bit of a blind spot for me BJSC-wise.

94. Orbital feat. Lady Leshurr – Wonky (Aeroche, BJSC 63)
Runners up: Ayer - Young (Elephante Remix) (B.a.N.G), Surkin – Oedo 606 (Persephonia)
Definitely a cool video, and I think that's what drew me to it as well as just being like anything Aeroche entered at the time and just always going up a storm. Doesn't hold up as well without that though, they have much better to come.

95. Konstantin Sibold – Mutter (Ethanola, BJSC 86)
Runners up: Vendredi sur Mer - La femme ΰ la peau bleue (N DNTN), Apollo 440 – Blackbeat (Usfland)
cheeseblock.png The legend that is. I've gotta confess here, I was very much encouraged by the vitriol that was directed at this entry, particularly as plug sessions were a huge thing around this time. Now I do still like this - we've not really had a lot like this in BJSC before and it's got a great atmosphere to it that makes it great for running, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pointing it somewhat reactively. The runners up have again held up much better.

96. Manufactured Superstars – Zombies in Love (Batidas, BJSC 55)
Runners up: Bibio - ΐ tout ΰ l'heure (Utopia), Smallpools – Dreaming (Varake)
Ah, Batidas, been a while since they totally deserted us and indeed many would struggle to recall them now, but they were quite on top with their BJSC choices for a while. This one was the only time I gave them top marks and...again it's a good dancefloor filler and has a wonderful Lego video, but much like Wonky, it hasn't held up as well outside of that. Bibio on the other hand, is still one of my favourites <3

97. Gilligan Moss – Choreograph (Fljotavik, BJSC 62)
Runners up: Christopher Tin feat. Soweto Gospel Choir – Baba Yetu (Skall), S O H N – Artifice (FARC)
How apt given they've just been entered again after eight years in the most recent contest. This was a wonderfully balmy piece of music that I enjoyed at that time, it's mainly so low as it's held up nowhere near as well as the runners up, who remain absolute BJSC favourites (and indeed were the top 2 of that contest!) and I'm wondering what I was thinking.

98. Queen of Hearts – Neon (Ojnoj, BJSC 44)
Runners up: Jessie Ware – 110% (Aeroche), First Aid Kit – Emmylou (Lake Thermwoods)
Neon was actually a potential of mine (back when I only ever went on the Digital Spy New Music page for new releases x), I can only assume I was still really into it then, because 110% and Emmylou are some of my all-time favourites (even if I don't associate the former with BJSC much anymore) and have absolutely no place being below what is a fairly nice synth pop song.

99. E’voke - Runaway (Biff 'N' Memphis Mix) (Tartford, BJSC 123)
Runners up: MODERNS – Jarre (Rolloland), Aphex Twin – Ageispolis (Jadakissnia)
This bottom 2 both suffer from me having very little memory of them, I was clearly very unfocused on BJSC during 2020 (I guess I was focused more on old albums during the pandemic) as I have none of the songs in my library, I had to remind myself of this and while it's certainly very nice, I'm not sure it's 18 potential. I think I might have actually preferred the other one sent recently oops :')

100. RAC feat. Kele & MNDR - Let Go (Kylienips, BJSC 59)
Runners up: DVBBS & Borgeous – Tsunami (Espen), Ten Walls – Gotham (Ethanola)
Genuinely no memory of giving this 12 at all! It's a nice indie-pop track, but nothing compared to the runners up, both classics, even if one is probably better known elsewhere now.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th April 2022, 06:46 PM
Post #254
Group icon

Terra Avium entries rank 81-90

81. Llamas in Need – Did You Ever See a Llama? (19th entry, BJSC 60, DNQ)
I think this is the highest I can rank this without looking too bad If you're confused about the title, it is the memetastic The Llama Song, scroll back through my thread to find the reasons why (ie. I felt like a troll entry x)

82. Woman E - You Stole That Summer (Bright Light Bright Light remix) (10th entry, BJSC 51, 31st)
The song that broke the at the time record breaking run of seven DNQs for myself. I knew this sort of pop-dancey sound would have some effect even if it sounds very out of character now, but I was desperate at the time however that was only half the battle as it then went on to be my second wooden spoon. It was taken down for ages, so that's prevented me coming back to it much, but it still is quite a nice song, I don't regret it as much of some of my other early entries.

83. Flight Facilities feat. Elizabeth Rose - I Didn't Believe (25th entry, BJSC 67, 23rd)
When I went to Australia to volunteer back in 2014, I was exposed to Triple J radio and became quite enamoured with their sound. This rather funky throwback song with two blogpop favourites was one of the many I heard on the radio and while it somewhat underperformed, it's still quite a funky ride x

84. Bloodgroup - Cut Out Your Tongue (Girl Unit Remix) (22nd entry, BJSC 63, DNQ)
At this point, I had moved from my primary source of entries being Digital Spy's Ten Tracks You Need to Hear to Guardian New Music, it had mixed results as we'll see. This one was a dance remake of the similarly paced song from the Icelandic electronic band. Earns brownie points as one of my few Icelandic entries, but it isn't one I've come back to much.

85. felicita - a new family (53rd entry, BJSC 95, 33rd)
An epic genre meld of hyperpop, PC Music and screamo metal. I knew it was standout enough to be an entry from when I first heard it. The unfortunate thing with these type of entries is that it's all about the first time reaction and once the shock factor's over, I don't end up enjoying them quite as much.

86. Neev – Staring Through (86th entry, BJSC 129, DNQ)
A very nearly null pointer if not for one set of points! I can't pretend I didn't see it coming at all (I probably should've been wiser at this point to know this wasn't prime BJSC material), but it's a shame as it is a beautifully sung song that evolves a lot in it's latter half.

87. La Femme – Divine Creature (95th entry, BJSC 138, 32nd)
La Femme's album was one of the real standouts of last year and I had many options to send with them, I opted for this hypnotic deep house-esque song as it pulled me in, but in retrospect, I have much preferred both Pasadena and La Sang De Mon Prochain and they probably should've been my La Femme entry.

88. Strawhatz – Koto (61st entry, BJSC 103, DNQ)
An EXPERIENCE of an entry which is about three different songs condensed to one coupled with a bizarre video that I can't possible describe in words. Much like Llama song, I can't rank this too high alongside my...actual songs, but I have no regrets x

89. BURNS - Limitless (14th entry, BJSC 55, DNQ)
Kinda more of my wannabe hit pop-dance leanings unfortunately, this is a decent dance track, but you can't quite beat LIES x

90. ADULT. – Why Always Why (82nd entry, BJSC 125, 35th)
Strangely enough, I have found an ADULT. entry on my new music playlist recently that is really great. I did like this 80s synth led anti-consumerist one too and it was a surprise qualifier, although I did find myself tiring of it even before the contest was over oops

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 10th April 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #255
Group icon

Terra Avium 12s/18s 81-90

81. Hatari – Klαmstrαkur (Caerfyrddia, BJSC 128)
Runners up: polnalyubvi – Кометы (Quintessa), Quixotic – Schwarzenegger (Vulkyria)
A great slice of Icelandic techno from the contest I (part) hosted, it was another one where my 18 could've gone to any though and it was one that did peak on first listen.

82. R O Z E S – Everything (Aeroche, BJSC 74)
Runners up: Hot Chip – Need You Now (Pi/Eledan), Diviners (feat. Contacreast) - Tropic Love (TRIANGLEDONIA)
Not exactly the most remembered Aeroche entry, but something about this did appeal to me, but the vocals and production really soar for me, A solid one, though ofc. they still have better to come (Completely forgot I had Triangledonia in my top 3 wow x)

83. Machine Girl - Krystle (URL Cyber Palace Mix) (Trifoski, BJSC 138)
Runners up: Deafheaven - The Gnashing (Persephonia), CLUBKELLY - DO YOU EVEN BLISS? (Cumulonimbia)
Of my recent 18 pointers, I have tried to be balanced as they would obviously have a bit of an advantage for being fresh to my ears. This one does rank the lowest of the very recent, because, as banging and knockout a garage track it is, it doesn't have as many layers to it as the other recent favourites. Not to worry though, Trifoski have some great ones to come x

84. Desire Marea - Tavern Kween (Utopia, BJSC 137)
Runners up: Lanark Artefax – Touch Absence (Cumulonimbia) Hazmusic – Delight (Buzzjack Mountain)
An African-tinged entry that was very standout, I hate that this commentary's getting boring, but this again suffers from being a contest that didn't have any standout discoveries.

85. Deja – Heart (Espen, BJSC 69)
Runners up: Widek – The Space Between Us (Zechonia), Danny L Harle – Broken Flowers (N DNTN)
One of many wonderful moments from Espen, but not quite the most wonderful. Have to say the other two have been a bit more memorable, Widek was beautiful and Broken Flowers in it's best version is still <3

86. RUFUS – Innerbloom (Kluminican Republic, BJSC 98)
Runners up: Guerilla Toss - Skull Pop (Trifoski), SIAMΙS – The Wolf (Seyetana)
I must confess RUFUS has been sent so many times that I got a bit sick of him so this may have been why I haven't come back to this as much. This one though I'm pretty sure I remember to be a great, atmospheric nine-minute song that constantly builds.

87. Army Of Lovers – Crucified (Singerpurear, BJSC 120)
Runners up: OTHERLiiNE – Chimes (Jadakissnia), The Subs vs Tsar B – Flesh & Bone (Fljotavik)
This wonderfully camp 80s song was actually one I knew prior to the contest. I distinctly remember this contest being very average though as I wouldn't have said it was 18 potential!

88. Lusine - Just A Cloud (feat. Vilja Larjosto) (Deandria, BJSC 105)
Runners up: Anathema – The Storm Before the Calm (Rolloland), A Tribe Called Red – Sisters (feat. Northern Voice) (Persephonia)
A chilled, immersive experience that is much like the clouds it is likening itself to. It perhaps suffers a bit compared to others from not changing as much. Anathema very close to one of the few artists I've given top marks to twice (try and guess who one is x)

89. Mikael Seifu - Yarada Lij (Persephonia, BJSC 103)
Runners up: Rex the Dog – Maximise (Fljotavik), Eric Whitacre – Fly to Paradise (Quintessa)
I remember this coming around the same time as I was really into new age music (and this influenced one of my entries) and so I was really happy to see this here. It's not held up quite as well and I think Maximise has held up better, so I guess that obsession was short-lived, but still a lovely song.

90. Eves the Behaviour – TV (Desbuanda, BJSC 72)
Runners up: Dawn Richard – Tide: The Paradox Effect (Persephonia), Phoebe Ryan – Mine (Ramrynia)
I completely forgot I gave this 12 wow! And that is a very poppy top 3 by my standards. It was kinda nice to revisit this, although I definitely should've given Zola Jesus the 18 over this. if we're talking Desbuanda entries x

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 12th April 2022, 09:27 AM
Post #256
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Some good reading/reminiscing here, in particular those 2 entries from 103 which still resonate with me today (plus that other Koto entry from I can't remember who).

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 12th April 2022, 12:12 PM
Post #257
Group icon

Thank you! I believe it was Singerpurear that sent the other Koto entry thinking.gif

-x-

Terra Avium entries rank 71-80

71. Gjallarhorn - Konunghen Och Trollkvinnen (56th entry, BJSC 98, 37th)
My first AQ, and you can tell! I have no idea what drew me to ancient Swedish folk music, but this still bangs, no regrets x

72. Richard Hawley – Tonight the Streets Are Ours (93rd entry, BJSC 136, 37th)
This one was pretty much entirely inspired by me watching Exit Through the Gift Shop and visiting a Banksy exhibition last summer, I just was really taken by how well it soundtracked that and the euphoria that it brought. It had a bit more of a following than I thought it did and even managed to be one of those rare top 40 hits from my chart listening days that I'd avoided.

73. Epic Soul Factory – Everdream (69th entry, BJSC 111, DNQ)
Of all my 'epic classical' entries, this one definitely bombed the most, I guess it was a case of the wrong semi or maybe it was just a bit more of a subtle build than the others (in fact so subtle, I did an edit of it, whether that was a mistake I will never know). Either way, it was disappointing. While there are definitely better examples of this type of song, I still think it's a rather masterful build to something truly special and it has some wonderfully inspiring YouTube comments

74. Mentrix – If (99th entry, BJSC 142, DNQ)
I mean, I definitely do regret this, it was silly of me to assume I had a surefire AQ as the other two did (although it was painful in the way it was taken away from me x) and this is just not the right song for BJSC, but I do still really like the song. For some background (as I never went into it), this is the closing track from Mentrix's album that has many themes of the stifling of her own nature and gender by the country she lives in and the visuals attached to the some of the other singles and use of exclusively Eastern instrumentals are truly striking. This closer was still subtly brilliant and was a real grower, even if I probably should've sent the one with the video.

75. Milk & Bone - Pressure (35th entry, BJSC 77, DNQ)
A pretty much surefire DNQ, not sure how I missed that. Saying that it's still great and has some wonderful harmonies and breakdowns present.

76. Kaskade feat. Skylar Grey - Room for Happiness (1st entry, BJSC 42, 28th)
Here we are then, patient zero for Terra Avium! I'll always hold some affection for this random entry from Digital Spy's Ten Track You Must Hear Right Now. It's got good production and Skylar's haunting vocals are as good as ever. Certainly unusual for me to send these days (the artists themselves make it a bit questionable), but I still hold it up well.

77. Coyote Kisses - Ferrari (33rd entry, BJSC 75, 30th)
A quirky instrumental with cute little nightcore esque synths and a great, quite jarring drop. Still quite unique, but not quite as powerful as some of my other instrumentals.

78. Jonathan Young feat. Malinda Kathleen Reese – The Phantom of the Opera (78th entry, BJSC 121, DNQ)
So I had a random phase for Phantom of the Opera covers (I've never seen the musical though) and this came at the right time for that I guess. Despite this being two YouTubers and being quite ridiculous in nature, I think it works well, the combination of vocal styles works very well and it ends extremely powerfully, with the phantom literally wringing the song out of her, it's very dramatic. It did also introduce me to the extremely talented Malinda and her wonderful Google Translate videos I may have a crush x

79. Miami Horror - Colours in The Sky (24th entry, BJSC 65, DNQ)
Up until quite recently, one of my biggest flops. I do wish I'd sent Real Slow which came out around the same time but I didn't know about until quite a few years later, but that did at least get its chance to shine in the Pop Forum contest. This one still deserved better in my view, it's got a great chorus and synth line.

80. Aly & Fila feat. Sue McLaren – Quiet Storm (59th entry, BJSC 101, 22nd)
A rush job of an entry as it was one of the few times someone beat me to my entry (still to come in the other list), I have always liked trance so it fits that I would send one and this is a great building entry that makes good use of that. I have since gone off trance a little bit partly through overuse in the contest, so it isn't my first choice of entry to go back to.[size="3"][/size]

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 12th April 2022, 12:49 PM
Post #258
Group icon

Terra Avium 12s/18s 71-80

71. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour – Heart Attack (Numayania, BJSC 42)
Runners up: CSS – Hits Me Like a Rock (Kluminican Republic), Lalah – Some Die Young (Tinnmark)
My first ever 12 pointer! Much like my first entry, it would look a lot more unconventional these days. But I still hold a good place of affection for it and it is still a wonderfully, catchy and vibrant pop song that I would likely still give big points to today.

72. DEVILNOTCRY – NotEnoughOfYou (Espen, BJSC 117)
Runners up: Covenant – Dead Stars (Summericia), Jenny Hval – Ashes to Ashes (Fljotavik)
I can't resist a bit of witch house, and this one was a great example of that. Albeit the other two here were fantastic and Ashes to Ashes is to credit for introducing me to Jenny Hval.

73. Matt Maeson - Hallucinogenics (Seeb Remix) (Tartford, BJSC 126)
Runners up: Loods – Gumni (FSR Rontvia), Hante. – Wild Animal (Jadakissnia)
Not perhaps my usual type of top pointer, but I was really taken by this psychedelic video and sound. I'm not always on board with Seeb, but this one connected.

74. The Slow Show – Breathe (Niceland, BJSC 143)
Runners up: Skin On Skin & X CLUB. - Rise Up (Kathaldazia), Secret Garden – Prayer (Lotunia)
I mean I can't really rank my most recent 18 pointer particularly high, but I'm certainly not forgetting it already which is a good sign. This has some wonderfully atmospheric production throughout and it was cool to add Niceland to my gold medallists, thanks Pete x

75. Faux Tales - Atlas (ALPHA 9 Remix) (Dobago, BJSC 133)
Runners up: Will Sparks – Stand By Me (Kathaldazia), Doss – Puppy (N DNTN)
Melodic trance is always a winner for me, listening now, it's not the BEST example of it's genre but I obviously liked it enough to 18 it so go figure! And yes, I gave Kathaldazia 15 exactly one year apart, how neat x

76. mind.in.a.box – Change (Deandria, BJSC 115)
Runners up: Yoshitaka Hirota - hazy iii (Jadakissnia), Weyes Blood – Movies (Quintessa)
For all I love Deandria, the few times I've given them 18 haven't held up as quite as well as when I haven't (as we'll see to come). No insult to this rather frenetic, cyberpunk-esque banger though, just hasn't held up as well for me as I hoped it would.

77. Cerrone – The Impact (Espen, BJSC 119)
Runners up: HOWWLER – 9 Times (Cowtermont), Amon Tobin – One Shy Morning (Persephonia)
Espen again, and this time with an environmental-tinged dance floorfiller, I think the message struck me the most when pointing it, we haven't seen a lot of anti-climate change dance in BJSC.

78. XYLΨ – America (N-Lazone, BJSC 73)
Runners up: Mr Fijiwiji feat. Danyka Nadeau – Yours Truly (Utopia), Fred V & Grafix – Major Happy (Trifoski)
This was actually a potential of mine that someone else beat me to, so I suppose it figures that I pointed it highly. It's a great sultry, electro-pop song, but I think this was the peak of my SuicideSheep enjoyment as it isn't one I've gone back to a lot, the runners up have held up better.

79. Etienne De Crιcy and Madeleine Follin – You (Espen, BJSC 75)
Runners up: Simon Patterson feat. Lucy Follin – The One (Cumulonimbia), Audialist – Burning (Persephonia)
And just like that, that's all of Espen's entries here gone, at least Cal won't be here to see this x You is again a very nice indie-pop sing with a wonderful dance beat, there's just quite a lot of competition here :'(

80. Goreshit – The Nature of Dying (Jadakissnia, BJSC 102)
Runners up: Priest – Our Time Will Come (Cumulonimbia), Audio Paradyne & Stahl! – Paradise (Seyetana)
First of four golds for my other bloc member x I utterly love Max Richter's Nature of Daylight so seeing it sampled here was glorious and it is still very striking, but I do wish more was done with the sample than just slapping a harsh, loud drumbeat over it. Priest was a really underrated entry that I wish had done better.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 13th April 2022, 11:46 AM
Post #259
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Can't disagree re Atlas, I definitely didn't expect it to do as well as 6th!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th April 2022, 12:41 PM
Post #260
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Yay to see Army Of Lovers in the rundown wub.gif

Personally I think Miami Horrors' is the greatest DNQ in the BJSC that I had never heard before, it topped my personal charts for 6 or 7 weeks and is comfortably inside my all-time Top 500 list (still ongoing obv due to lack of time). Colours In The Sky was totally robbed of a final place and justice is still demanded!

+Quote this post

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 05:49 PM