BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> John's 1974 Charts, of the time weekly charts freed from the UK singles chart
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
fiesta
post Sep 30 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #41
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 232
   No Gallery Pics

Hooked on a feeling is such a good tune, I first became aware of it when Tarrantino used the Blue Swede version on the soundtrack to the Resiviour Dogs.

It was written by Mark James who famously wrote a ton of hits for Elvis including Suspicuos Minds, Always On My Mind, Moody Blue etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 30 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #42
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(fiesta @ Sep 30 2014, 12:56 PM) *
Hooked on a feeling is such a good tune, I first became aware of it when Tarrantino used the Blue Swede version on the soundtrack to the Resiviour Dogs.

It was written by Mark James who famously wrote a ton of hits for Elvis including Suspicuos Minds, Always On My Mind, Moody Blue etc.

Yes it is a great tune and I didn't know Tarantino had used it! Mark James wrote some good stuff!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 30 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

10th September 1974

A brand new entry at 1 for Magpie presenter Mick Robertson, like Pans People at 3 trying to have a pop career. Both were good tries, though the tango wasn’t exactly in vogue in 1974, the record managed to get on TOTP and I was mad on it for a while. Other TV shows having less of an impact on my charts would have been: Doctor Who (of course!), Rising Damp, Planet Of The Apes, Rhoda and The Goodies, whereas at the movies the disaster movie was taking over, notably The Towering Inferno which was terrific when it came out.

Ray Stevens goes back up to a new peak of 4 with his novelty track giving my entire Top 5 a non-UK-hit-floptastic quality (and 7 of the 10 failed to chart, as my tastes and the singles chart went their own ways). That said, Andy Fairweather-Low’s fab Reggae Tune did chart in both, and in at 14 here, his first chart hit since Hello Susie when Amen Corner charted with Roy Wood’s song 5 years earlier. Elton has another go at a rocking single, for a change, and it wasn’t bad, the title Bitch Is Back hinting at future campness, and in at 17.

I Am Missing You is in at 27, another non-hit, and very Indian-sounding to my delight, from Ravi Shankar and his friends: one in particular being George Harrison, who gave it a Phil Spector production, joined in, and released it on his own Dark Horse label. Sadly, I was one of the few to bother buying it! Ravi wrote a top notch toon, and of course donated Norah Jones to the world 5 years later, and a much longer chart career and sales than her dad. At 28, the one-hit (UK charts) wonder that is Brian Protheroe with the absolutely gorgeous Pinball, sounds as good as it did 40 years ago. Joni Mitchell meanwhile grabs another popchartfreak hit single with the delicious Free Man In Paris, her 3rd of the year and taken again from the wonderful Court And Spark album. Finally, sneaking in at 30 is Noosha Fox and the very odd and unusual breathless pop of Only You Can, which I loved right away. It took the UK record buyer 3 months to decide they liked it too.

1 ( NEW ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
2 ( 1 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
3 ( 13 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
4 ( 17 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
5 ( 4 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
6 ( 5 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
7 ( 12 ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head
8 ( 6 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
9 ( 14 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
10 ( 10 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band

11 ( 7 ) KUNG FU FIGHTING Carl Douglas
12 ( 11 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
13 ( 3 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
14 ( NEW ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
15 ( 15 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
16 ( 9 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
17 ( NEW ) THE BITCH IS BACK Elton John
18 ( 16 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
19 ( 29 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
20 ( 27 ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol

21 ( 28 ) LONG TALL GLASSES Leo Sayer
22 ( 22 ) MRS VANDEBILT Paul McCartney and Wings
23 ( 26 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
24 ( 20 ) SILLY LOVE 10C.C.
25 ( 19 ) AFTER THE SHOW Kevin Ayers
26 ( 8 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL BAND Abba
27 ( NEW ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
28 ( NEW ) PINBALL Brian Protheroe
29 ( NEW ) FREE MAN IN PARIS Joni Mitchell
30 ( NEW ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox

31 ( 18 ) YOU YOU YOU Alvin Stardust
32 ( 21 ) THE WIZARD OF LOVE The Pearls
33 ( 23 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
34 ( 24 ) ANOTHER SATURDAY NIGHT Cat Stevens
35 ( 25 ) 2 WHEELS Firebird
36 ( 30 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
37 ( 37 ) BAND ON THE RUN Paul McCartney & Wings
38 ( 34 ) RING RING Abba
39 ( 36 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
40 ( 38 ) YOU WON'T SEE ME Anne Murray

Over in the oldies chart, Jonathan King gets a 2nd week on top, and new in at 7 is The Yamasukis - I say new, but actually it’s a drop from 2 in the actual singles chart having suddenly found out it’s an old record and transferred it over. A minor follow-up hit in the UK, and second-time around, it’s 1968 Motown gem Gotta See Jane from R.Dean Taylor, a literally driving dance number, “mmmm red lights green lights speeding through the dark nights”, ahhh just fab fab fab. In at 9, and on the budget album wot I bought, it was. Lastly, as hilariously parodied by The Goodies the following year, in at 13 it’s Presley: Reg Presley and the terrific Wild Thing. (Goodies: Hold me...tight. (strangling sound) Not. Quite. That. Tight). The Troggs became better known for allowing Wet Wet Wet to ruin one of Reg’s sweetest songs - though he WAS laughing all the way to the crop circles.

1 ( 1 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
2 ( 4 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
3 ( 3 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
4 ( 2 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
5 ( 6 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
6 ( 5 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
7 ( NEW ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
8 ( 8 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
9 ( NEW ) GOTTA SEE JANE R. Dean Taylor
10 ( 7 ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air

11 ( 10 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
12 ( 9 ) LADY WILLPOWER Gary Puckett And The Union Gap
13 ( NEW ) WILD THING The Troggs
14 ( 14 ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin
15 ( 12 ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
16 ( 15 ) I AM WHAT I AM Greyhound

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Sep 30 2014, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 1 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #44
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

17th September 1974

My singles-buying was helped heavily by my blagging my way to continue doing swimming in Gloucester town centre swimming pool, along with mate Ian, as a means of avoiding rugby and cricket - there weren’t any other sports on the agenda, and they were the two most-hated sports of all as far as I’m still concerned. That meant I could continue to get cheap ex-chart singles as soon as they hit the bargain bins. Yay!

It’s 2 weeks for Mick Robertson and his frizzy hair on top. If only Susan Stranks had joined him in a duet on a record! Up to 4, ex-Amen Corner singer Andy gets his 2nd-biggest hit, after Half As Nice topped the chart in 1969. The Commodores fabby funky instrumental jumps to 6, machine gunning Syreeta at 7, who’s left spinnin’ and spinnin’ in a very melodic Stevie-Wonder-fashion. Rufus almost make the 10, though Chaka and Rufus had bigger hits ahead, as did Elton at 12.

In at 18, Sparks make it 3 out of 3 with the fab insistent Something For The Girl With Everything, a future single in 1975, but here an early album track hit as I am left bemused as to why they went with a different 3rd UK hit single. Same goes for Macca, Mrs Vandebilt at 20, such an obviously great single-that-wasn’t. At 22 is Reunion, a group of studio musicians based around Joey “Yummy Yummy Yummy” Levine, 60’s bubblegum act Ohio Express. The song is regarded as a novelty, but it’s much better than that, it’s a speed-rap history of rock, pop, soul, blues in 3 minutes, the number of acts name-checked is (literally) breath-taking to try keeping up with, and the chorus is singalong delight. It was an actual UK chart hit too, as well as the USA.

Elton’s gal (on his Rocket record label) Kiki Dee gets a second hit with the rocking Music In Me, still sounds terrific. Don Covay funks in with It’s Better To have, and Polly Brown gets her 2nd hit in the chart with Up In A Puff Of Smoke (that’s her in Sweet Dreams), minus the black make-up this time. Over in the oldies chart, JK gets a 3rd week on top, his 4th in total, but R. Dean is nipping at his heels. Splishing splashing - calling out her name I gotta see Jane. Fan-bloody-tastic.

1 ( 1 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
2 ( 2 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
3 ( 3 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
4 ( 14 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
5 ( 5 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
6 ( 12 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
7 ( 19 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
8 ( 4 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
9 ( 16 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
10 ( 7 ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head

11 ( 18 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
12 ( 17 ) THE BITCH IS BACK Elton John
13 ( 10 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
14 ( 28 ) PINBALL Brian Protheroe
15 ( 20 ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol
16 ( 13 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
17 ( 21 ) LONG TALL GLASSES Leo Sayer
18 ( NEW ) SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING Sparks
19 ( 15 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
20 ( 22 ) MRS VANDEBILT Paul McCartney and Wings

21 ( 23 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
22 ( NEW ) LIFE IS A ROCK (BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME) Reunion
23 ( RE ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
24 ( 29 ) FREE MAN IN PARIS Joni Mitchell
25 ( 30 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
26 ( 27 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
27 ( 36 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
28 ( NEW ) (I GOT THE) MUSIC IN ME The Kiki Dee Band
29 ( NEW ) UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE Polly Brown
30 ( NEW ) IT'S BETTER TO HAVE Don Covay

31 ( 6 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
32 ( 8 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
33 ( 9 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel
34 ( 11 ) KUNG FU FIGHTING Carl Douglas
35 ( 24 ) SILLY LOVE 10C.C.
36 ( 25 ) AFTER THE SHOW Kevin Ayers
37 ( 26 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL BAND Abba
38 ( 31 ) YOU YOU YOU Alvin Stardust
39 ( 32 ) THE WIZARD OF LOVE The Pearls
40 ( 33 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers

1 ( 1 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
2 ( 9 ) GOTTA SEE JANE R. Dean Taylor
3 ( 2 ) (TO BE) YOUNG GIFTED AND BLACK Bob And Marcia
4 ( 4 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
5 ( 3 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
6 ( 7 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
7 ( 6 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
8 ( 5 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
9 ( 8 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
10 ( 13 ) WILD THING The Troggs
11 ( 10 ) BACK STREET LUV Curved Air
12 ( 11 ) WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN-HEARTED Jimmy Ruffin
13 ( 15 ) A HORSE WITH NO NAME America
14 ( 14 ) GENTLE ON MY MIND Dean Martin

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 1 2014, 07:28 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 2 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #45
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

24th September 1974

3 weeks on top Tango-ing, and Pans People dance into 2nd place. Up 22 places to 4 though, it’s Ravi Shankar, as the melody kicks into my mind, leapfrogging Syreeta who gets a Top 5 hit with a Stevie Wonder co-write, as a full-write Wonder song hits 10 for Rufus. Stevie was so prolific during this period he could afford to give away loadsa great songs. Elton bitches his way to 9, love those buzzsaw guitars and the venom-in-cheek. Mike McGear replaces his brother at 20, and there’s a bunch of new entries..

The first of only two examples of an album making my chart pops in at 7 - a schoolmate took it into the 6th form revision area and played it, and it blew my mind it was so unusual. It was a follow-up album, instrumental, and a complete work, no tracks, so I allowed it in. It was called Hergest Ridge and the young whippersnapper was called Mike Oldfield on new label Virgin run by a young hippie called Richard Branson. I wonder if he became a high-flyer...?

Highest new single entry is Pilot’s follow-up hit, the less good (but more commercial, and debut UK/US hit) Magic. Very catchy though. At 22, an utterly obscure unobtainable single on RAK records by Barry Reynolds, Outsiders Point Of View: more of a prog rock act, this was one slow sultry falsetto soul-rock fusion that deserved to be big. I’ve just heard it for the first time in 40 years on youtube, and it’s fab, not dated at all. I believe young Barry went on to guide Marianne Faithful’s Broken English phase and onwards. I want this single badly!

At 23, the recently late folk semi-legend Dory Previn with Coldwater Canyon, a Joni Mitchell-esque appeal to me, while at 25 Thunderthighs return with a second hit, not quite the dramatic cinematic Lynsey De Paul song this time (nor Walk On The Wild Side either), but a halloween novelty song that’s a barrel of laughs. It’s cheesy in a great way, and really should be played each year at the end of October right after Monster Mash. It’s Dracula’s Daughter and sounds like you’d imagine it would, horror effects and girlie vocals and monster-movie lyrics. Suzi Quatro, meanwhile, gets her 6th straight Top 30 hit with The Wild One and at 30 it’s Alaska. Who? No idea, google doesn’t help me, it’s that obscure. I never bought it, and just have an image of a sort of pleasant harmony track. It was a long time ago...!

1 ( 1 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
2 ( 3 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
3 ( 4 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
4 ( 26 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
5 ( 7 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
6 ( 9 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
7 ( NEW ) HERGEST RIDGE Mike Oldfield
8 ( 5 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
9 ( 12 ) THE BITCH IS BACK Elton John
10 ( 11 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus

11 ( 13 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
12 ( 15 ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol
13 ( 14 ) PINBALL Brian Protheroe
14 ( 6 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
15 ( 8 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
16 ( 18 ) SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING Sparks
17 ( 22 ) LIFE IS A ROCK (BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME) Reunion
18 ( 21 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
19 ( 10 ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head
20 ( 27 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear

21 ( NEW ) MAGIC Pilot
22 ( NEW ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds
23 ( NEW ) COLDWATER CANYON Dory Previn
24 ( 19 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
25 ( NEW ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
26 ( NEW ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
27 ( 28 ) (I GOT THE) MUSIC IN ME The Kiki Dee Band
28 ( 29 ) UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE Polly Brown
29 ( 30 ) IT'S BETTER TO HAVE Don Covay
30 ( NEW ) I DON'T KNOW WHY Alaska

31 ( 2 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
32 ( 16 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
33 ( 17 ) LONG TALL GLASSES Leo Sayer
34 ( 20 ) MRS VANDEBILT Paul McCartney and Wings
35 ( 23 ) THIS IS THE STORY OF MY LOVE (BABY) Wizzard
36 ( 24 ) FREE MAN IN PARIS Joni Mitchell
37 ( 25 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
38 ( 31 ) ROCK YOUR BABY George McCrae
39 ( 32 ) ROCK THE BOAT The Hues Corporation
40 ( 33 ) TRAVELING BOY Garfunkel

On the oldies chart, R. Dean Taylor gets his 2nd Number 1 of the year the poundingly brilliant Gotta See Jane, while Dave Edmunds enters at 2 with his classic 4-year-old I Hear You Knocking, a song I missed at the time (being in Singapore) but caught in the year-end chart rundowns of late 1971 and loved. A kiddie-fave of mine from 1968 pops in at 6, the charmingly quirky, and so-so 60’s Judy In Disguise, taking me back to RAF Swinderby days. With Glasses! At 12, it’s a future ELO USA hit (1976ish) but here it’s a Move B Side to California Man from 1972. That’s very fair though, as Jeff Lynne wrote it, it’s the last side of the last Move single, and the next thing he did was ELO’s 10538 Overture, so it’s beautifully connectivizing. Made-up word! Do Ya? Not ‘arf pop-pickers!

1 ( 2 ) GOTTA SEE JANE R. Dean Taylor
2 ( NEW ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
3 ( 1 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
4 ( 4 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
5 ( 5 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
6 ( NEW ) JUDY IN DISGUISE (WITH GLASSES) John Fred And His Playboy Band
7 ( 7 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
8 ( 6 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
9 ( 8 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes
10 ( 9 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
11 ( 10 ) WILD THING The Troggs
12 ( NEW ) DO YA The Move

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 2 2014, 07:12 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 23 2014, 06:14 PM
Post #46
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

1st October 1974

In amongst playing bridge at break-time’s in the 6th form block, and feeling quite adult these days, someone brought in tapes of some odd semi-experimental album music, one of which had been featured in the scariest, most disturbing film I was to see (5 years later) in my life: The Exorcist. The music was jaw-dropping, especially the spoken-word sequence where instruments add in announced one by one, before climaxing together in a fabulous folkrock hippie majesty. I heard Hergest Ridge first, the follow-up, but it was Tubular Bells that astounded me. As they are essentially one piece, I just called them very long singles and charted them briefly. So here they are, at 1 and 2, Mike Oldfield’s first (instant) number one, and the first act to hold down the top 2 in my chart, and the only albums ever to chart.

That means, with Ravi Shankar at 3, Thunderthighs grabbing a second Top 10 hit at 6, and others hanging in there, that the first UK singles chart hit is at 7 (and that had peaked in my charts long before it was a hit). I really was more and more interested in non-chart stuff! Paul McCartney’s bruv goes up to 10, his first since Lily The Pink to get that high, while highest actual single new entry is George McCrae’s follow-up to Rock You Baby, at 13, one place lower than the man who wrote and produced it: KC. Barry Blue enters at 14 with his 5th hit, Hot Shot, all chanting glam-rock cossack stylee, while at 15 it’s First Choice getting a 3rd hit (but UK flop) with the The Player, and at 16 it’s John Lennon back with a bang, an American chart-topper, a minor UK hit, and more than a little Elton John in it. Hey, whatever gets you thru the night! Elton bet John it would get to number one, and if it did John had to join Elton on stage (and which he did for his last-ever concert-performance - the one that got him back-together with Yoko).

The fab Barry Reynolds record that I still desperately want is at 17, Polly Brown I’m playing a lot at the moment, it’s much better than I remembered, jolly thumping soulpop, and at 18, and at 21 Fox pop back in again with the odd Only You Can (breathe in “oh oh oh oh o only you”) still 3 months away from charting in the UK. Lastly, but not leastly, taking a leaf out of Bryan Ferry’s book, retro lounge-lizard stylee, Australian Gary Shearston covers Cole Porter’s sophisticated 1934 classic I Get A Kick Out Of You. Whereas Smoke Gets In Your Eyes left me cold, Ferry’s first mis-step, this was something else entirely: it’s the definitive version, from the 40‘s-styled vocal phrasing, and the drug-referenced wonderful lyrics, to the violin accentuating and underpinning and dominating the track, it’s a forgotten piece of minor genius. I never get tired of hearing it, and it was a huge hit, thankfully, in the UK.

In the oldies chart 1971 Japanese-language, kiddie-chanting, drum-heavy oddity Yamasuki finally gets to the top as it gets cut down to 10, with Mouth and MacNeal’s 1972 hit (but not in the UK) reissued and in at 7, giving them 3 Top 10’s inside 6 months. Then nothing ever again....

1 ( NEW ) TUBULAR BELLS (LP) Mike Oldfield
2 ( 7 ) HERGEST RIDGE (LP) Mike Oldfield
3 ( 4 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
4 ( 1 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
5 ( 2 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
6 ( 25 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
7 ( 6 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
8 ( 3 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
9 ( 8 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
10 ( 20 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear

11 ( 14 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
12 ( 11 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
13 ( NEW ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
14 ( NEW ) HOT SHOT Barry Blue
15 ( NEW ) THE PLAYER First Choice
16 ( NEW ) WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band (aka Elton John)
17 ( 22 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds
18 ( 10 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
19 ( 28 ) UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE Polly Brown
20 ( 18 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim

21 ( 37 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
22 ( 5 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
23 ( 15 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
24 ( 9 ) THE BITCH IS BACK Elton John
25 ( 23 ) COLDWATER CANYON Dory Previn
26 ( 12 ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol
27 ( 21 ) MAGIC Pilot
28 ( 27 ) (I GOT THE) MUSIC IN ME The Kiki Dee Band
29 ( 19 ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head
30 ( NEW ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston

31 ( 13 ) PINBALL Brian Protheroe
32 ( 16 ) SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING Sparks
33 ( 17 ) LIFE IS A ROCK (BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME) Reunion
34 ( 24 ) HONEY HONEY Sweet Dreams
35 ( 26 ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
36 ( 29 ) IT'S BETTER TO HAVE Don Covay
37 ( 30 ) I DON'T KNOW WHY Alaska
38 ( 31 ) IF YOU'RE GONNA BREAK ANOTHER HEART Cass Elliot
39 ( 32 ) ROCK 'N' ROLL (WHO NEEDS ROCK 'N' ROLL) Rainbow Children
40 ( 34 ) MRS VANDEBILT Paul McCartney and Wings

OLDIES CHART 1st October 1974

1 ( 8 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
2 ( 2 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
3 ( 3 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
4 ( 1 ) GOTTA SEE JANE R. Dean Taylor
5 ( 4 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
6 ( 5 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
7 ( NEW ) HOW DO YOU DO Mouth And MacNeal
8 ( 7 ) WHERE DO YOU GO TO (MY LOVELY) Peter Sarstedt
9 ( 10 ) BREAKING DOWN THE WALLS OF HEARTACHE The Bandwagon
10 ( 9 ) BE MY BABY The Ronettes

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 23 2014, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 23 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #47
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

8th October 1974

From Tubular Bells folk to Beatlestastic Indian Spector, as George Harrison’s definitively-produced version of Ravi Shankar’s I Am Missing You hits the top. That’s something Norah Jones has yet to do....! The 2 Mike Oldfield albums drop heavily, not from lack of love, it’s from lack of hearing - I couldnt afford to buy them so had to make do with hearing them once or twice at school, then that was it till I was older and could buy them. Shankar Family I could afford, though. Mike McCartney hits a new peak of 6 with Paul’s very Wings-tastic track (pity he didn’t stick his version on the fab Venus & Mars album), while Barry Reynolds grows to 8, outsider or not, it’s a terrific point of view and should have been a hit. Barry Blue, which WAS a minor hit, hot shots it to 2, his 3rd Top 3 hit, and the late Lynsey De Paul gets a co-writer credit on it.

New at 11, it’s a 4th fab big hit for David Essex, the terrific Gonna Make You A Star (on TOTP Paul & Linda I recall were on, and mimed along to the I Don’t Think So line. That’s probably better than my half-recall of DLT miming-along to it, cos if that’s true, and if it hasn’t been wiped, it’ll never get broadcast again thanks to the nutjobs at the BBC). At 12, it’s a second hit for KC, sounding his funky horn, replacing his own Queen Of Clubs, and keeping his own I Can’t Leave You Alone at 13. In 1974/5, KC WAS disco music, no question.

In at 17, back with Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry gets a 5th Top 20 hit, with the fantastic All I Want Is You, exciting, sax-y, and building, I love it to bits still. In at 18, his 3rd hit in 12 months, it’s Robert Knight’s 60’s retro northern soul version of My Rainbow Valley - a song that was a hit for the Love Affair in 1968, yes them what had a huge massive number one with his Everlasting Love. This sounds like an original version to me, unless he was getting some sweet revenge, but either way it’s not quite as good as vocalist Steve Ellis’ Love Affair version. Great song though. Pilot, meanwhile get a 2nd top 20 hit. Ho ho ho, it’s magic!

New at 23, OK Chicago from studio group Resonance, a funky, police-siren, almost jazz avante-garde French producers who seem to be the same ones behind Pepperbox (hit my chart a few weeks back, and a few weeks into the future). Forgotten goodie! In at 24 another instrumental, Santana’s debut hit with the 1970 track, Samba Pa Ti, a gorgeous sultry guitar-based latin-rock classic, with The Commodores making it 3 instrumentals in a row. Dave Edmunds get a new rocking hit at 29, his 4th, while his first hits 1 on my oldies chart 4 years late. I Hear You Knocking, but you can’t come in, 50’s stylee fabulousness. At 30, Garfunkel gets his 3rd of the year, all off the same album, and lastly on the oldies Eddie Holman’s 1970 hit Hey There Lonely Girl soul classic enters at 3, as it enters the UK charts, like Santana 4 years late. Main difference being I didn’t know Samba Pa Ti was old.. Santana did eventually grab a number one, and then another, 25 years into the future.

1 ( 3 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
2 ( 14 ) HOT SHOT Barry Blue
3 ( 6 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
4 ( 4 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
5 ( 5 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
6 ( 10 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
7 ( 8 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
8 ( 17 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds
9 ( 1 ) TUBULAR BELLS (LP) Mike Oldfield
10 ( 7 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation

11 ( NEW ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
12 ( NEW ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
13 ( 13 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
14 ( 2 ) HERGEST RIDGE (LP) Mike Oldfield
15 ( 15 ) THE PLAYER First Choice
16 ( 16 ) WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band (aka Elton John)
17 ( NEW ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music
18 ( NEW ) MY RAINBOW VALLEY Robert Knight
19 ( 21 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
20 ( 27 ) MAGIC Pilot

21 ( 20 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
22 ( 12 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
23 ( NEW ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
24 ( NEW ) SAMBA PA TI Santana
25 ( 11 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
26 ( 9 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
27 ( 19 ) UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE Polly Brown
28 ( 30 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
29 ( NEW ) NEED A SHOT OF RHYTHM AND BLUES Dave Edmunds
30 ( NEW ) SECOND AVENUE Garfunkel

31 ( 18 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
32 ( 22 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta
33 ( 23 ) MOONLIGHT SPECIAL Ray Stevens
34 ( 24 ) THE BITCH IS BACK Elton John
35 ( 25 ) COLDWATER CANYON Dory Previn
36 ( 26 ) HANG ON IN THERE BABY Johnny Bristol
37 ( 28 ) (I GOT THE) MUSIC IN ME The Kiki Dee Band
38 ( 29 ) MAMA COME OUT Medicine Head
39 ( 31 ) PINBALL Brian Protheroe
40 ( 32 ) SOMETHING FOR THE GIRL WITH EVERYTHING Sparks

OLDIES CHART 8th October

1 ( 2 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
2 ( 1 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
3 ( NEW ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
4 ( 7 ) HOW DO YOU DO Mouth And MacNeal
5 ( 3 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
6 ( 5 ) SAN FRANSISCO (BE SURE TO WEAR SOME FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR) Scott McKenzie
7 ( 6 ) BABY LOVE Diana Ross And The Supremes
8 ( 4 ) GOTTA SEE JANE R. Dean Taylor

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 23 2014, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 24 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #48
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

15th October 1974

Another new number 1: Dracula’s Daughter! Yes, the previous year Monster Mash had almost become the first Halloween song to top my charts, but Thunderthighs went ahead and did it almost a decade before Thriller did it as well. Their follow-up to the much-better Central Park Arrest, Dracula’s Daughter had little BBC airplay to mention, so it was doomed to failure really, but it was a great cheesy tongue-in-cheek girlgroup novelty that desrves to join the rather limited number of perennial Halloween Faves. In my dreams, of course, but it would make a change from Ghostbusters year after bloody year!

Rocketing up to 3, Roxy Music get their 2nd top 3 hit, cos all i want is them, and David Essex gets his biggest hit at 4 cos he’s gonna make you a star. I don’t think so! Highest new entry at 5, and following-up a number one, sounding NOTHING like it’s rocking predecessor it’s a Killer Queen, a sophisticated 40’s pastiche rock generation stylee, and oh what a fantastic record too. KC, meanwhile, follows-up his 2 number ones (one with George McCrae) with 2 more top 10 hits (one with George McCrae).

Santana smoothly guitar slide it to 11, Gary Shearston kicks it up to 13 smoothly, and a batch of new entries pop in between 24 and 30: Stevie Wonder’s vitriolic (and grammatically incorrect) You Haven’t Done Nothing rips into Tricky Dicky, all funk vitriol, and one of his forgotten classics, possibly due to the specifically politically 1974 nature of the lyrics. Nixon resigned when he heard it. Probably. The Hues Corporation follow up Rock The Boat with the identikit (but fun) Rockin’ Soul, while The Wombles (and Mike Batt’s) best record adds a bit of kiddy Mozart classical to the charts with the wonderful Minuetto Allegretto. We were minuetting mad, back in 1718 when Bulgaria was a lad. Sparks get a 4th hit with their 3rd single, the slow ballad Mother Earth as my 3rd hit (and their 4th single) drops out of the chart (for now). I still say Island Records got them the wrong way round. Bay City Rollers now pop in very briefly and lowly, where once they had big hits, and it’s not hard to see why when All Of Me Loves All Of You is basically (non-UK-hit, US Number-one) Saturday Night part 4. Livvy is back, though, with a huge US chart-topper, the touching I Honestly Love You, signalling a new phase in her now-US-based career.

It’s the last oldies chart, down to 6, with dave Edmunds at 1, Eddie Holman’s fab Lonely Girl at 2, and the UK hit release of Phil Spector’s Da Doo Ron Ron bringing The Crystals in at 6.

So, as TV pundits like to start their sentences these days, what about politics ’74 (albeit mine grammatically having a point rather than a dramatic pause while brain gets in gear). So. As it turns out Harold Wilson’s Labour Party scraped a victory together this week, dumping the Lib Lab pact partners, and causing a minor amount of approval in our working class household. Yes, those were the days when Labour stood for the less-well-off. I was in the process of becoming a little more politically interested, taking on an O Level in British Constitution in the 6th form, which informed me somewhat more than I was before on the history of British politics. Our (very likely) gay teacher was pretty fair in party presentation, which led me to lean in a sort of vague Liberal/Labour way, and a way in which I’ve more or less continued to lean ever since. Of course, it all went horribly wrong after Harold Wilson bailed out, and UK politics has since left much to be desired, albeit amongst the betterment of society generally, it must be said.

The USA of course, had Gerald “watch that step” Ford in charge, as Watergate trials took over the news, and Nixon had a bright future as a disembodied head on Futurama to look forward to. Meanwhile at the movies, Airport ’75 was out in the USA, the sequel to Airport, and a jumbo-sized (literally) disaster movie with a cast of veterans introduced to me, amongst current ones like Helen Reddy, pop star and singing nun. It’s hard to take her seriously now, after the way-better Airplane! parodied it hilariously, the nun’s guitar periodically wacking-out the life-support drip of an ailing smiling little girl. Fab! From TV, Ed Sullivan moved on to the final Variety Show in the sky, his passing largely unknown in the UK, but known to me from my Singapore days where TV showed USTV re-runs. I mostly recall Topo Gigio though, not The Beatles debut (being as it was 1969/70). I hated Topo Gigio. Pop onto Youtube and see why....

1 ( 3 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
2 ( 1 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
3 ( 17 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music
4 ( 11 ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
5 ( NEW ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
6 ( 2 ) HOT SHOT Barry Blue
7 ( 13 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
8 ( 4 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
9 ( 12 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
10 ( 5 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People

11 ( 24 ) SAMBA PA TI Santana
12 ( 18 ) MY RAINBOW VALLEY Robert Knight
13 ( 28 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
14 ( 8 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds
15 ( 7 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
16 ( 6 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
17 ( 9 ) TUBULAR BELLS (LP) Mike Oldfield
18 ( 10 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
19 ( 23 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
20 ( 14 ) HERGEST RIDGE (LP) Mike Oldfield

21 ( 16 ) WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band (aka Elton John)
22 ( 21 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
23 ( 20 ) MAGIC Pilot
24 ( NEW ) YOU HAVEN'T DONE NOTHIN' Stevie Wonder
25 ( NEW ) ROCKIN' SOUL The Hues Corporation
26 ( RE ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
27 ( NEW ) MINUETTO ALLEGRETTO The Wombles
28 ( NEW ) NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH Sparks
29 ( NEW ) ALL OF ME LOVES ALL OF YOU The Bay City Rollers
30 ( NEW ) I HONESTLY LOVE YOU Olivia Newton-John

31 ( 15 ) THE PLAYER First Choice
32 ( 19 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
33 ( 22 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
34 ( 25 ) MACHINE GUN The Commodores
35 ( 26 ) WE'RE GONNA HAVE A PARTY Mouth And MacNeal
36 ( 27 ) UP IN A PUFF OF SMOKE Polly Brown
37 ( 29 ) NEED A SHOT OF RHYTHM AND BLUES Dave Edmunds
38 ( 30 ) SECOND AVENUE Garfunkel
39 ( 31 ) TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD Rufus
40 ( 32 ) SPINNIN' AND SPINNIN' Syreeta

OLDIES CHART 15th Oct 1974

1 ( 1 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
2 ( 3 ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
3 ( 2 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
4 ( 4 ) HOW DO YOU DO Mouth And MacNeal
5 ( 5 ) HOOKED ON A FEELING Jonathan King
6 ( NEW ) DA DO RON RON The Crystals

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 24 2014, 09:04 PM

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Oct 25 2014, 03:06 AM
Post #49
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

John, your last # 1 is great.
Don't now why I never heard about this group.
It's even more strange, because their first single "Central Park Arrest" (wrote by Lynsey De Paul) even was in official UK chart.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 25 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #50
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Outcast @ Oct 25 2014, 04:06 AM) *
John, your last # 1 is great.
Don't now why I never heard about this group.
It's even more strange, because their first single "Central Park Arrest" (wrote by Lynsey De Paul) even was in official UK chart.

Glad you like it Alex, they did quite a bit of big star support vocals in those days, it's a shame they didn't become stars. I want British radio to play Dracula's Daughter on Halloween for a laugh, it would go down well with Monster Mash and the others!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 25 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

22nd October 1974

Queen get their 2nd number one in a row with the fabulous Killer Queen, and I had no idea what Moet Chandon was till I heard the lyric. Champagne wasn’t something you came across much in the RAF world. At runners-up for the 2nd time, The Hues Corporation follow-up Rockin’ Soul rocks the boat. Fab Gary Shearston opines mere alcohol doesn’t thrill him at all. Me neither, but I certainly get a kick out of his record being at 5. As the Oldies chart fades away, a batch of tracks in it turn up as new entries and re-entries in the Top 40, but you can assume they would have been higher in previous weeks than the chart positions this week, headed by Dave Edmunds at 7 kicking out his own new record.

Stevie goes 20, Pepperbox pops back as it starts to make the UK charts, and Fox continue to yo-yo about. New at 30 are the Netherlands band The Cats, Be My Day being a Caribbean-styled singalong Ditch and German Number One, and catchy enough. Peter Shelley had a sweet Uk hit with Gee Baby, though he impressed me more as the writer/producer of Alvin Stardust records, Alvin very sadly passed away this week just ahead of his last album being released.

At school, one of the new subjects I’d taken on was O Level geology, which turned out to be quite dry and name-heavy. I actually love the subject these days, but all the bloody essays about Orthoclase Feldspar and Quartz and this mineral and that mineral got a bit tedious, I didn’t do very well, and eventually approached the teacher to give him the bad news that I was giving it up. I actually liked the teacher, or Nick The Prick as his nickname went (he had a habit of unconsciously scratching as if he had crabs), and regret that now. Hey ho. In sports, which seldom interested me outside tennis and the Olympics, Muhammed Ali had a bit of a rumble in the jungle coming up. He was also a family hero dating back to the days of Cassius Clay, dad being a big boxing fan. In those days you could convert to Islam without being thought a potential terrorist, and still be a big media darling hero beloved of millions. Ah those were the days....

1 ( 5 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
2 ( 25 ) ROCKIN' SOUL The Hues Corporation
3 ( 1 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
4 ( 3 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music
5 ( 13 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
6 ( 2 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
7 ( NEW ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
8 ( RE ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
9 ( 9 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
10 ( 8 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson

11 ( 11 ) SAMBA PA TI Santana
12 ( 7 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
13 ( 4 ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
14 ( 14 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds
15 ( 24 ) YOU HAVEN'T DONE NOTHIN' Stevie Wonder
16 ( 10 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
17 ( 12 ) MY RAINBOW VALLEY Robert Knight
18 ( 18 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
19 ( 19 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
20 ( 6 ) HOT SHOT Barry Blue

21 ( NEW ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
22 ( 15 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
23 ( RE ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
24 ( 32 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
25 ( 27 ) MINUETTO ALLEGRETTO The Wombles
26 ( 16 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
27 ( 29 ) ALL OF ME LOVES ALL OF YOU The Bay City Rollers
28 ( 28 ) NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH Sparks
29 ( 23 ) MAGIC Pilot
30 ( NEW ) BE MY DAY The Cats

31 ( 17 ) TUBULAR BELLS (LP) Mike Oldfield
32 ( 20 ) HERGEST RIDGE (LP) Mike Oldfield
33 ( 21 ) WHATEVER GETS YOU THROUGH THE NIGHT John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band (aka Elton John)
34 ( 22 ) ROCK ME GENTLY Andy Kim
35 ( 26 ) ANNIE'S SONG John Denver
36 ( 30 ) I HONESTLY LOVE YOU Olivia Newton-John
37 ( NEW ) DA DOO RON RON The Crystals
38 ( 31 ) THE PLAYER First Choice
39 ( 33 ) QUEEN OF CLUBS KC And The Sunshine Band
40 ( NEW ) GEE BABY Peter Shelley

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 25 2014, 12:45 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 25 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #52
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

29th October 1974

2 weeks at one, equalling 7 Seas Of Rhye, for Queen, while Pepperbox makes the Top 10 for the second time just ahead of Resonance’s OK Chicago at 11 - they had a double-album package once upon a time, so it’s fair enough they chart together. Highest new entry is Ken Boothe and his delicious reggae working of Bread’s Everything I Own. David Gates was a terrific songwriter, but Bread hardly had any hits, being lumped into a sweet MOR bracket along with the equally derided Carpenters by the rock fraternity. Yah Boo Sucks to them, it’s a great record (the original) and this version is just as good in a totally different way, the mark of a good song. Boy George of course copied Ken’s version and grabbed a second UK chart-topper for the song.

Rod Stewart says Farewell at 23 - not to us, that is, but to The Faces (shortly) and his credibility, for the most part, but this was a great little gem in the style of his previous solo hits. Billy Ocean is back at 24 for a second attempt at a UK hit with his previously John-charted great record On The Run. It didn’t work, but he got there 18 months later anyway with another one, under a new name (as opposed to Scorched Earth). The Glitter Band are at 30 with the fun glam Let’s Get Together Again. Nothing to do with their (soon-to-be-former) boss, but they have been equally banished by association from musical history. Not by me, though. One of Slade’s best records for some bizarre reason didn’t do well in my charts, Far Far Away is a great song from a largely dull, but not bad, movie Slade In Flame, but the singles so far in 1974 had not impressed me much and they’d fallen off my fan radar a bit by this time. Pity, it’s terrific! Finally, veteran 60’s group The Tymes comeback with a catchy sweet soul shuffler, matching The Drifters UK-based revival, but the effect is somewhat reduced when it sounds like they are singing You Little Trussmaker. I mean, someone has to make trusses, but a tribute song is a little OTT.

1 ( 1 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
2 ( 2 ) ROCKIN' SOUL The Hues Corporation
3 ( 7 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
4 ( 6 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
5 ( 5 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
6 ( 3 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
7 ( 4 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music
8 ( 23 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
9 ( 9 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
10 ( 10 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson

11 ( 19 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
12 ( 8 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
13 ( 15 ) YOU HAVEN'T DONE NOTHIN' Stevie Wonder
14 ( NEW ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
15 ( 24 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
16 ( 21 ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
17 ( 17 ) MY RAINBOW VALLEY Robert Knight
18 ( 26 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
19 ( 16 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
20 ( 14 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds

21 ( 25 ) MINUETTO ALLEGRETTO The Wombles
22 ( 22 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
23 ( NEW ) FAREWELL Rod Stewart
24 ( RE ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
25 ( 12 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
26 ( RE ) LIFE IS A ROCK (BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME) Reunion
27 ( 20 ) HOT SHOT Barry Blue
28 ( 13 ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
29 ( 18 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
30 ( NEW ) LET'S GET TOGETHER AGAIN The Glitter Band

31 ( 11 ) SAMBA PA TI Santana
32 ( 27 ) ALL OF ME LOVES ALL OF YOU The Bay City Rollers
33 ( 28 ) NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON MOTHER EARTH Sparks
34 ( 29 ) MAGIC Pilot
35 ( 30 ) BE MY DAY The Cats
36 ( 31 ) TUBULAR BELLS (LP) Mike Oldfield
37 ( 32 ) HERGEST RIDGE (LP) Mike Oldfield
38 ( NEW ) FAR FAR AWAY Slade
39 ( NEW ) DOWN ON THE BEACH TONIGHT The Drifters
40 ( NEW ) YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER The Tymes

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Oct 25 2014, 02:31 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 2 2014, 07:17 PM
Post #53
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

5th November 1974

3 weeks on top for Killer Queen, holding off an instant oldie challenge from Marvin Gaye’s Top 10 hit from 1969, I Heard It Through The Grapevine going even better second-time around to 2. That’s not the last time it will chart either, being as it’s such an all-time classic. KC gets a second top 5, as Scorched Earth (Billy Ocean) returns to the top 10 for the second time in 1974.

The Glitter Band get a good jump to 14, their second top 20 hit of the year, while newly entering all in a neat row behind Mike McGear’s Paul McCartney song...it’s 3 Beatles tracks from the reactivated Magical Mystery Tour EP, giving me an opportunity to chart 3 non-singles that should all have been singles: Paul’s gorgeous Fool On The Hill at 17, John’s powerful I Am The Walrus at 18, and Paul’s sweet Your Mother Should Know at 19, Mike Batt having just charted with it before the Fabs.

Proper new stuff is relegated to the lower end, Fancy return with their second chart-entry, a USA hit, Touch Me at 23, while The Three Degrees get their FIFTH chart entry of 1974, as Get Your Love Back sees them back in uptempo mode at 25. Elton’s back with an epic version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, keeping up The Beatles theme. I AM rather a fan, if it’s not obvious yet! The Chi-Lites get their 4th hit, Too Good To Be Forgotten not as big as earlier ones, ditto Lynsey De Paul’s No Honestly, her 5th hit, getting on for 10th as a songwriter, and TV sitcom theme tune. Husband & Wife John Alderton and Pauline Collins starred, it was mildly amusing mostly for Pauline Collins. Finally Dionne Warwick gets her first actual chart entry in my charts, bizarrely, long after her great Bacharach/David period had ended, here with US number one Then Came You, jointly with the Spinners, their 3rd hit.

Earthquake had come out in the States, an exciting, big-budget all-star cast disaster movie with Charlton Heston headlining. He’d switched from biblical blockbusters to sci-fi and disaster blockbusters with Planet Of The Apes, and although this one wasn’t in the same league, it did provide a faaab Universal Studios theme park ride for a few decades which I saw many times. My record collection (singles mostly) was growing quite fast these days, as I’d come across some more back-street ex-chart singles shops, some as low as 5 pence, or 10% of a full price single. 10 for the price of 1! Bargain! Usually 20p or 25p was more usual though. To put that into context in 2014 prices, that’s about £5 for a single or 50p for a bargain cut rate bargain bin single. Downloads are twice that absolute bargain bin price. Music has never been cheaper: fact!

2 ( NEW ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
3 ( 3 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
4 ( 2 ) ROCKIN' SOUL The Hues Corporation
5 ( 9 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
6 ( 4 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
7 ( 8 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
8 ( 5 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
9 ( 6 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
10 ( 24 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth

11 ( 14 ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
12 ( 15 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
13 ( 11 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
14 ( 30 ) LET'S GET TOGETHER AGAIN The Glitter Band
15 ( 10 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
16 ( 18 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
17 ( NEW ) FOOL ON THE HILL The Beatles
18 ( NEW ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
19 ( NEW ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW The Beatles
20 ( 7 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music

21 ( 19 ) YOU CAN REALLY ROCK 'N' ROLL ME Pans People
22 ( 12 ) YAMASUKI The Yamasukis
23 ( NEW ) TOUCH ME Fancy
24 ( RE ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
25 ( NEW ) GET YOUR LOVE BACK The Three Degrees
26 ( 23 ) FAREWELL Rod Stewart
27 ( 21 ) MINUETTO ALLEGRETTO The Wombles
28 ( 17 ) MY RAINBOW VALLEY Robert Knight
29 ( 29 ) SAD SWEET DREAMER Sweet Sensation
30 ( 20 ) OUTSIDERS POINT OF VIEW Barry Reynolds

31 ( 13 ) YOU HAVEN'T DONE NOTHIN' Stevie Wonder
32 ( 16 ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
33 ( 22 ) REGGAE TUNE Andy Fairweather-Low
34 ( 25 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae
35 ( 40 ) YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER The Tymes
36 ( NEW ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
37 ( 38 ) FAR FAR AWAY Slade
38 ( NEW ) TOO GOOD TO BE FORGOTTEN The Chi-Lites
39 ( NEW ) NO HONESTLY Lynsey De Paul
40 ( NEW ) THEN CAME YOU Dionne Warwick & The Detroit Spinners

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Dec 2 2014, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 2 2014, 08:27 PM
Post #54
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

12th November 1974

4 weeks on top for Queen, but just at those Beatles! I’d picked up an ex-chart copy of Get Back, which led me to think it was re-issued in amongst all the glam rock and soul records, which was enough for me to rechart it at 4, Top 5 5 years after first doing the business. Not only that but B side Don’t Let Me Down, also on that famous rooftop goodbye performance, John’s song, charts at 18. So, that means George’s production of Ravi Shankar at 6, Magical Mystery Tour tracks at 15, 16, 17, Elton John’s version of John’s Lucy In The Sky up to 19, and Macca’s new single under-performing at 28 - Junior’s farm just wasn’t up to par, not even as good as most of the tracks off Band On The Run, never mind The Beatles invasion of my charts long before it was fashionable (eg 1976) - and finally Macca’s better song for his brother Mike at 29. Phew!

On Top Of The Pops we had amusingly-named and ground-breaking Javells FEATURING Nosmo King and his Northern Soul hit new at 9 - there are probably earlier examples of “featuring” but that was the first one to me, and just ahead of The Guess Who at 10 - or Bachman-Turner Overdrive as they were now called, and the epic metal pop classic You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet. Not arf! Brilliance. Bad news for Ken Boothe who just can’t break the 10, while some Latin chanting pops back in for Steeleye Span as Christmas was in the air, a year on. Gaudete. Russ Ballard, ex of Argent, and before he became a smash songwriter, debuts at 30 with Fly Away, annoyingly not on itunes. Jimmy Ruffin follows up his oldie hit with a 1970 oldie re-issue, Farewell Is A Lonely Sound at 33. 50’s popstar Paul Anka’s back with his MOR You’re Having My Baby, which seemed to offend feminists at the time, largely for the use of “My” rather than “Our” as far as I can tell. Finally, Barry White’s biggest, best, and most-famous song struggles in at 37, his 6th hit but the formula was wearing thin for me at the time. Pity cos it’s fab, actually!

On TV, The Six Million Dollar Man was thrilling kids, but Lee Majors was always the sexy young Heath Barklay to me, in Barbara Stanwyck’s 60‘s TV western The Big Valley, not the moustachio’d rebuilt bland hero, nor the man lending his missus his surname for Charlie’s Angels. The Time Tunnel fave of 1967/8 was being repeated, I was big on 60’s nostalgia, still babysitting for cash to feed my vinyl and DC Comics habits, which were getting quite pricey, so I got to watch a lot of Saturday Night TV. I still have nightmares of having to watch Match Of The Day and Parkinson cos nothing else was on the 3 channels (yes count ‘em, 3!!!). Parkinson’s constant slagging off of pop and lamenting on the good old days when music was music used to piss me off, though he was actually good at his job and let the stars come through at ease. Match Of The Day is an hour of my weekly life wasted, I tended to read Planet Of The Apes comics or anything else that was to hand really.

2 ( 3 ) I HEAR YOU KNOCKING Dave Edmunds
3 ( 2 ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
4 ( NEW ) GET BACK The Beatles
5 ( 7 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
6 ( 6 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
7 ( 4 ) ROCKIN' SOUL The Hues Corporation
8 ( 5 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
9 ( NEW ) GOODBYE NOTHIN' TO SAY The Javells featuring Nosmo King
10 ( NEW ) YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET Bachman-Turner Overdrive

11 ( 11 ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
12 ( 15 ) THE TANGO'S OVER Mick Robertson
13 ( 14 ) LET'S GET TOGETHER AGAIN The Glitter Band
14 ( 10 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
15 ( 18 ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
16 ( 17 ) FOOL ON THE HILL The Beatles
17 ( 19 ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW The Beatles
18 ( NEW ) DON'T LET ME DOWN The Beatles
19 ( 36 ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
20 ( 20 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music

21 ( 9 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
22 ( 13 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
23 ( 12 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
24 ( 24 ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
25 ( 23 ) TOUCH ME Fancy
26 ( NEW ) GAUDETE Steeleye Span
27 ( RE ) MAGIC Pilot
28 ( NEW ) JUNIOR'S FARM Paul McCartney & Wings
29 ( 16 ) LEAVE IT Mike McGear
30 ( NEW ) FLY AWAY Russ Ballard

31 ( 8 ) I GET A KICK OUT OF YOU Gary Shearston
32 ( 35 ) YOU LITTLE TRUSTMAKER The Tymes
33 ( NEW ) FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND Jimmy Ruffin
34 ( NEW ) YOU'RE HAVING MY BABY Paul Anka
35 ( 37 ) FAR FAR AWAY Slade
36 ( 39 ) NO HONESTLY Lynsey De Paul
37 ( NEW ) YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING Barry White
38 ( RE ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
39 ( 32 ) HEY THERE LONELY GIRL Eddie Holman
40 ( 34 ) I CAN'T LEAVE YOU ALONE George McCrae

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Dec 2 2014, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Steve201
post Dec 3 2014, 12:07 AM
Post #55
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

Guadete wub.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 3 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #56
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

19th November 1974

B-b-b-baby, You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet knocks Queen off the top, as rock, and indeed rock and roll, takes over the chart. The soaring guitar riffs and the pounding driving rhythm is the key to this record, it sounded like nothing else when it came out fresh and exciting. Familiarity (and Smashie and Nicie) may have dulled that somewhat, but it’s still a cracker. Pepperbox, after a long climb, gets to 3, they synthy catchy instrumental all but forgotten these days, sadly.

It’s a top 10 clear-out, headed by one of Gary Glitter’s better singles at 4, Oh Yes You’re Beautiful, highest new entry, joining The Glitter Band in my charts and a dilemma for me - do I feature the youtube video (assuming one is on there) or do I pretend he never existed for the convenience of history re-writers...? Hmmm. New at 6, 50’s stylee, and a second top 10 hit for The Rubettes with Jukebox Jive, retro pop, 50’s actual song cover for Sha Na Na, an American 50’s covers band who had a hit with Shboom (Life Could Be A Dream), and who have many tracks on itunes - but not this one! Doh! So many great old records are still not available in the digital universe.

In at 9, a third hit for The Equals (aka Eddy Grant) as Baby Come Back makes my top 10 6 years late - it just predated my charts, but was a properly famous record in those days in the UK, and it was good to see it in the top 10. Merlin get a second chart hit, with Wildcat, T.Rex pop in with a Zip Gun Boogie at 29, having yet to fail to chart in 4 years. Not one of Bolan’s best though, to be fair! Ace enter at 35. How Long? Yes, it’s Paul Carrack’s debut hit, the terrific ballad that became a US hit and kickstarted a long career that sees him still charting in my charts 40 years on. Never made it big, or famous, but he kept on going where others fell by the wayside, with his great soulful voice and melodic ballads, mostly. Talking of soul, Al Green gets a comeback 5th hit with Sha La La, while glam rockers Hello cover 60’s pop hit Tell Him, originally by The Exciters.

In the news, atrocious pub bombings, and some murderous Lord killed his nanny and disappeared famously. People do seem to enjoy killing other people for no good reason. Hateful. On a happier note, DJ Sarah Cox popped into the world this week, good for her and now good for Radio 2. On TV Mary Tyler Moore Show spin-off Rhoda, with the sharp loveable Valerie Harper as star, debuted. Playing her sister? Future Marge Simpson, Julie Kavner! Hong Kong Phooey upped the Kung Fu mania a level, from Hannah-Barbera - a last fling of the career dice I think. The fantastic Rockford Files, made James Garner a household name all over again, and Harry O, another classy detective show, kept The Fugitive’s David Janssen in work. Both had great supporting casts of character actors. The Night Stalker was a pre-X-Files show about vampires and aliens, with Darren McGavin, who guested nicely in X-Files in tribute to this largely-forgotten (but good) show. Sadly, Star Trek: The Animated Series (actual original cast actors and proper scripts) ended, but hey ho, give it 5 years and a movie will possible come along, I say!

1 ( 10 ) YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET Bachman-Turner Overdrive
2 ( 1 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
3 ( 5 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
4 ( NEW ) OH YES YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL Gary Glitter
5 ( 9 ) GOODBYE NOTHIN' TO SAY The Javells featuring Nosmo King
6 ( NEW ) JUKEBOX JIVE The Rubettes
7 ( 3 ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
8 ( 4 ) GET BACK The Beatles
9 ( NEW ) BABY COME BACK The Equals
10 ( NEW ) SHBOOM (LIFE COULD BE A DREAM) Sha Na Na

11 ( 8 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
12 ( 21 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
13 ( 15 ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
14 ( 19 ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
15 ( 11 ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
16 ( 13 ) LET'S GET TOGETHER AGAIN The Glitter Band
17 ( 16 ) FOOL ON THE HILL The Beatles
18 ( 17 ) YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW The Beatles
19 ( 20 ) ALL I WANT IS YOU Roxy Music
20 ( 22 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance

21 ( NEW ) WILDCAT Merlin
22 ( 23 ) ONLY YOU CAN Fox
23 ( 25 ) TOUCH ME Fancy
24 ( 26 ) GAUDETE Steeleye Span
25 ( 24 ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
26 ( 14 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
27 ( 27 ) MAGIC Pilot
28 ( 30 ) FLY AWAY Russ Ballard
29 ( NEW ) ZIP GUN BOOGIE T.Rex
30 ( 18 ) DON'T LET ME DOWN The Beatles

31 ( 6 ) I AM MISSING YOU Shankar Family & Friends
32 ( 37 ) YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING Barry White
33 ( 35 ) FAR FAR AWAY Slade
34 ( 36 ) NO HONESTLY Lynsey De Paul
35 ( NEW ) HOW LONG Ace
36 ( NEW ) TELL HIM Hello
37 ( NEW ) SHA LA LA LA (MAKES ME HAPPY) Al Green
38 ( 38 ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
39 ( 28 ) JUNIOR'S FARM Paul McCartney & Wings
40 ( RE ) TOO GOOD TO BE FORGOTTEN The Chi-Lites

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Dec 3 2014, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 3 2014, 04:41 PM
Post #57
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(steve201 @ Dec 3 2014, 12:07 AM) *
Guadete wub.gif

Thanks Steve, yes I took a while to like Steeleye Span's ancient-sounding oddity, but it got there in the end - and they did even better in 1975! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 3 2014, 05:49 PM
Post #58
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

26th November 1974

The first record to return to number one in my charts (after a chart absence)? John & Yoko with their Christmas classic, 2 years after topping my chart and being one of my christmas single purchases, it was back again, selling well and getting airplay as pop christmas songs really did get a hold of Radio 1 from hereon in - Phil Spector’s christmas album peppered around with newer and older xmas tracks. I was still mad on BTO though, at 2. More oldies appear: Johnny Nash’s 1968 Top 5 reggae (forgotten) great Hold Me Tight is back at 8, The Supremes debut UK hit follows up Baby Love this time round, as Where Did Our Love Go enters at 19, having also been a 1972 chart-topper - for Donnie Elbert. Obscurity of the week? Beano at 27 with doo-wop-ish teen pop Candy Baby - they later turned up UK Eurovision heats as Scramble, and this was an Italian chart hit.

One of the catchiest, campest, maddest disco hits enters at 14 for the brilliantly-named Disco Tex and the Sex-o-lettes, if that doesn’t scream out tongue-in-cheek I’d like to know what does! Hot Chocolate do mellow pop at 18 with Cheri Baby for 4 straight years of top 20 hits, The Wombles get an unimaginable 5th Top 30 hit in under a year with the great Wombling Merry Christmas. All day long we will be wombling in the snow? Snow? In these global warming UK days! Hah! 25 showcases one of my fave Bond themes, but not one that the public went for, The Man With The Golden Gun, Lulu’s 5th chart hit in 6 years. I also loved the movie, Christopher Lee, fabulous Asian locales, Britt Ekland, what’s not to love! Finally Ringo and Elvis pop in with covers, of The Platters and Richard Harris respectively, though Ringo is leapfrogged by John at 1, Paul at 13 with Junior’s Farm and some Beatles tracks above him! Where’s George? Not far off actually....

How about a school story? Errr, hmm, well Bachman-Turner Overdrive were quite popular in the 6th form block, and I got some brownie points knowing the B side to Roxy Music’s streetlife from a sporty cool kid I admired a fair bit, not to mention finishing off a song-line he started singing: Sunshine... “on my shoulder”. John Denver UK flop, showing that not only was I obsessive before, during and since 1974 about pop music, the fact that I recall these instances and I’ve forgotten his name says something about me. Oops! I associate people with the music they like I’m afraid, and it tends to stick in my mind for years n years!

1 ( NEW ) HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER) John & Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band with The Harlem Community Choir
2 ( 1 ) YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET Bachman-Turner Overdrive
3 ( 3 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
4 ( 2 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
5 ( 4 ) OH YES YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL Gary Glitter
6 ( 6 ) JUKEBOX JIVE The Rubettes
7 ( 7 ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
8 ( NEW ) HOLD ME TIGHT Johnny Nash
9 ( 10 ) SHBOOM (LIFE COULD BE A DREAM) Sha Na Na
10 ( 11 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band

11 ( 5 ) GOODBYE NOTHIN' TO SAY The Javells featuring Nosmo King
12 ( 12 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
13 ( 39 ) JUNIOR'S FARM Paul McCartney & Wings
14 ( NEW ) GET DANCING Disco Tex and The Sex-o-lettes
15 ( 9 ) BABY COME BACK The Equals
16 ( 13 ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
17 ( 8 ) GET BACK The Beatles
18 ( NEW ) CHERI BABE Hot Chocolate
19 ( NEW ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO? The Supremes
20 ( 20 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance

21 ( 26 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
22 ( 15 ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
23 ( 24 ) GAUDETE Steeleye Span
24 ( NEW ) WOMBLING MERRY CHRISTMAS The Wombles
25 ( NEW ) THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN Lulu
26 ( NEW ) ONLY YOU Ringo Starr
27 ( NEW ) CANDY BABY Beano
28 ( 14 ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
29 ( 21 ) WILDCAT Merlin
30 ( 17 ) FOOL ON THE HILL The Beatles

31 ( 36 ) TELL HIM Hello
32 ( 35 ) HOW LONG Ace
33 ( 37 ) SHA LA LA LA (MAKES ME HAPPY) Al Green
34 ( 27 ) MAGIC Pilot
35 ( 38 ) GONNA MAKE YOU A STAR David Essex
36 ( 32 ) YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING Barry White
37 ( 25 ) THE WILD ONE Suzi Quatro
38 ( NEW ) MY BOY Elvis Presley
39 ( 34 ) NO HONESTLY Lynsey De Paul
40 ( NEW ) COSTAFINE TOWN Splinter

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Dec 3 2014, 05:53 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 1 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #59
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

3rd December 1974

Winter draws on, christmas shopping for gifts starting, and the annual inrush of christmas classic pop songs had started. No it’s not 2014, it’s my charts in 1974 as I start the tradition of classic pop oldies invasions of the charts. I’m going to put modesty aside and declare I did it ahead of the UK charts, as John & Yoko drop to 2 behind new entry at 1 for christmas classic Wizzard’s I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday, a whole 12 months actual old! That gives it 3 weeks at 1 in total, and the first time a record came back in under a year to top my chart again. Of course it charts every single year in the UK for the last decade, but you can see why I don’t chart it highly anymore - been there done that many times already.

In at 4, and it’s an influential disco classic, pumping up the bpm’s, a disco diva in the making in Gloria Gaynor, and an exciting cover of The Jackson 5’s Top 5 (in my chart) 1971 ballad, given a very different treatment. I loved it immediately, and I loved Gloria. In at 6, it’s one of those “eh?” moments as an odd reggae obscurity announces itself with echo-effects, whooping, and unusual lyrics, to say the least. I also loved this Rupie Edwards track as it sounded like nothing before, except maybe a more laid back sort of Dave And Ansel Collins. Ire Feelings (Skanga). Skanga! Skanga! I’m feeling high...you know I suspect it might have something to do with substances now I think about it...

Disco Tex, Hot Choc and The Supremes pop up a few mid-table places, as George McRae is back at 16 with another very-KC (of Sunshine Band) disco hit, You Can Have It All, his third in 6 months, and KC’s 5th song. Ringo takes his Only You cover to 20, his 5th solo hit, ahead of his old band’s tracks, The Wombles pop up a christmas place, and TV’s family-friendly comedy-troop The Goodies move over to the singles chart with some very christmassy naughtiness, Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me. Actually the nominal A side was The Inbetweenies, Bill Oddie’s song which grabbed the airplay by default, basically a kiddie novelty hit. The other side was for the grown-up’s, Pythonesque rabble-rousing drunken-singing, as the lads sing the chorus each time omitting a word or syllable. I still find it funny, and the final line sort of puts it into moral context: he’s a most immoral Santa, they aren’t promoting that sort of behaviour! Honest! Finally John Christie pops in with 60’s fave Everybody Knows, a cover of the tuneful Dave Clark 5 big hit from 1967. Dave didn’t mind, I know that cos he produced the record.

1 ( NEW ) I WISH IT COULD BE CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY Wizzard
2 ( 1 ) HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER) John & Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band with The Harlem Community Choir
3 ( 2 ) YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET Bachman-Turner Overdrive
4 ( NEW ) NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE Gloria Gaynor
5 ( 3 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers
6 ( NEW ) IRE FEELINGS (SKANGA) Rupie Edwards
7 ( 4 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
8 ( 8 ) HOLD ME TIGHT Johnny Nash
9 ( 7 ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
10 ( 6 ) JUKEBOX JIVE The Rubettes

11 ( 5 ) OH YES YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL Gary Glitter
12 ( 14 ) GET DANCING Disco Tex and The Sex-o-lettes
13 ( 18 ) CHERI BABE Hot Chocolate
14 ( 19 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO? The Supremes
15 ( 10 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
16 ( NEW ) YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL George McRae
17 ( 9 ) SHBOOM (LIFE COULD BE A DREAM) Sha Na Na
18 ( 13 ) JUNIOR'S FARM Paul McCartney & Wings
19 ( 21 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
20 ( 26 ) ONLY YOU Ringo Starr

21 ( 25 ) THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN Lulu
22 ( 11 ) GOODBYE NOTHIN' TO SAY The Javells featuring Nosmo King
23 ( 24 ) WOMBLING MERRY CHRISTMAS The Wombles
24 ( 16 ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
25 ( 17 ) GET BACK The Beatles
26 ( 15 ) BABY COME BACK The Equals
27 ( 27 ) CANDY BABY Beano
28 ( NEW ) THE INBETWEENIES/ FATHER CHRISTMAS DO NOT TOUCH ME The Goodies
29 ( 20 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
30 ( NEW ) EVERYBODY KNOWS John Christie

31 ( 12 ) DRACULA'S DAUGHTER Thunderthighs
32 ( 22 ) EVERYTHING I OWN Ken Boothe
33 ( 23 ) GAUDETE Steeleye Span
34 ( 28 ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
35 ( 29 ) WILDCAT Merlin
36 ( 30 ) FOOL ON THE HILL The Beatles
37 ( 36 ) YOU'RE THE FIRST, THE LAST, MY EVERYTHING Barry White
38 ( 31 ) TELL HIM Hello
39 ( 33 ) SHA LA LA LA (MAKES ME HAPPY) Al Green
40 ( 32 ) HOW LONG Ace

In real life, musician Nick Drake had quietly passed away with little publicity, Python was drawing to a close on TV, and the IRA had been outlawed. In my world of hobbies, DC Comics had kept on getting more fun and glossy, the Legion especially with new artist Dave Cockrum just getting better and better - at least until his strop with DC Comics, before pissing off to Marvel with his great costumes, artwork and ideas for X-Men, the classic years. I loved it so much I started buying multiple copies and keeping them in mint condition in bags. Fanboy!! Still got them mint though.

Big film at the cinema was the third disaster movie blockbuster in three months, and the best one, as Irwin Allen followed up Poseidon Adventure with the spectacle of The Towering Inferno. If a film ever inspired a fear of disaster in me it was this one, the thought of being trapped above a burning fire helpless in a skyscraper. Never felt comfortable with the thought of living or working way on high, subsequently. The film had Steve McQueen and Paul Newman together for the first time, a host of golden oldies like Fred Astaire, and it became an instant fave, though it wouldn’t make my lists these days. Scene of the film was poor old veteran Jennifer Jones falling out of a glass lift just after helping a kiddie. There’s gratitude for you, do a good deed etc.!

This post has been edited by popchartfreak: Jan 1 2015, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 1 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #60
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

10th December 1974

After 2 weeks shoved down by xmas oldies, Bachman-Turner Overdrive reassert themselves on top, it was pretty popular at school and still sounded exciting. You Ain’t Seen N-n-n-n-nothing Yet! 2 weeks at 1 instead of 4 thanks to the oldies, it seems strange saying oldies for records that were 1 and 2 years old! These days records stay in the chart for 1 to 2 years! Those days they were golden oldies!

The christmas records keep on coming though, The Goodies get listed separately on the chart, and brand new christmas songs from Mud, at 20, with UK chart-topper Lonely This Christmas, and Les Grey doing a whimsical Elvis impersonation for their 4th hit of the year, but a major change in sound as they see the Glam Rock writing on the wall for all pop stars, this time it’s a charming, sad love song, and one that still hangs about at christmas time. The Wombles shoot up to 7, Wombling Merry Christmas giving them their biggest Wombling hit, and one of many songs written by Mike Batt in my charts this year. Showaddywaddy come back with a follow-up hit to Hey Rock ‘n’ Roll (I wasn’t keen on previous singles) with the sweet Hey Mr. Christmas, a xmas record you never hear anywhere these days. Mr. Big debut at 29 with the charming cockney Christmas with Dicken, a xmas flop, though Mr. Big finally got a UK chart hit with the fab Romeo in 1977.

Phil Spector’s classic early 60’s xmas album gets it’s first chart entry as Darlene Love takes Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) in at 30 as radio plays quite a few of it’s tracks. Darlene was actually the singer of He’s A Rebel, the brilliant cover of Gene Pitney’s song masterminded by Phil Spector, but it was credited to another entirely different act, The Crystals. In my charts she’d already appeared on backing vocals on Be My Baby, Monster Mash and Da Do Ron Ron, but she wouldn’t get another new go till the 90’s, following U2 grabbing her for backing vocals on their cover of the song - and it was another christmas goodie from Home Alone movies.

Away from christmas, Abba come back with their only single to fail to chart in the UK, So Long. It wasn’t playlisted by the BBC, though Radio Luxembourg did and it was fab, should have been a glam-tastic hit, in at 17 for their 4th hit of the year, 5th as songwriters. I had faith in Abba. Also The Faces, and what turned out to be their last record with Rod Stewart - You Can Make Me Dance Sing Or Anything (etc) might have been amusingly titled but it was more groovy Rod than rocky Faces, and the writing was on the wall for the split. In at 13, a forgotten gem, the single from Deep Purple’s Roger Glover’s Butterfly Ball album, a thematic work with guest vocalists and an animated video. The great vocalist on Love Is All is Ronnie James Dio, of Rainbow and other metal bands - spot the connections? Ex-Deep Purple members mostly! It was a kids TV fave and bubbled under the charts but never broke into the 50, sadly.

Finally, Je T’Aime Moi Non Plus, a very naughty 1969 UK number one that I’d never heard in my life (it had been banned) started to get plays on Radio Luxembourg after being reissued and a hit all over again. Jane Birkin was the actress partner of French cult star Serge Gainsbourg, and they both provided a lot of breathy noises over the top of a lovely sultry melody. I rather liked it, and as I’d never be able to tape it onto my reel-to-reel tape recorder off the BBC I bought the single - Radio Luxembourg, being so far away, tended to be a medium-wave fading in and fading out and whining and hissing and screeching of broadcasts - but it was worth persevering to get to hear new songs not chosen by the BBC. At 40, one classic I didn’t get until years later, Ralph McTell’s Streets Of London, busker-song-classic, and already 4 years old or so before it charted. It’s a lovely lyric and wistful melody.

1 ( 3 ) YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHIN' YET Bachman-Turner Overdrive
2 ( 2 ) HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER) John & Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band with The Harlem Community Choir
3 ( 1 ) I WISH IT COULD BE CHRISTMAS EVERYDAY Wizzard
4 ( 4 ) NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE Gloria Gaynor
5 ( 12 ) GET DANCING Disco Tex and The Sex-o-lettes
6 ( 6 ) IRE FEELINGS (SKANGA) Rupie Edwards
7 ( 23 ) WOMBLING MERRY CHRISTMAS The Wombles
8 ( 28 ) THE INBETWEENIES The Goodies
9 ( 16 ) YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL George McRae
10 ( 5 ) PEPPERBOX The Peppers

11 ( 9 ) I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE Marvin Gaye
12 ( 8 ) HOLD ME TIGHT Johnny Nash
13 ( NEW ) LOVE IS ALL Roger Glover and Guests (featuring Ronnie Dio)
14 ( NEW ) FATHER CHRISTMAS DO NOT TOUCH ME The Goodies
15 ( 7 ) KILLER QUEEN Queen
16 ( NEW ) YOU CAN MAKE ME DANCE SING OR ANYTHING (EVEN TAKE THE DOG FOR A WALK MEND A FUSE FOLD AWAY THE IRONING BOARD OR ANY OTHER DOMESTIC SHORTCOMINGS) The Faces featuring Rod Stewart
17 ( NEW ) SO LONG Abba
18 ( 14 ) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO? The Supremes
19 ( 13 ) CHERI BABE Hot Chocolate
20 ( NEW ) LONELY THIS CHRISTMAS Mud

21 ( NEW ) HEY MR CHRISTMAS Showaddywaddy
22 ( 24 ) I AM THE WALRUS The Beatles
23 ( 21 ) THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN Lulu
24 ( NEW ) JE T’AIME...MOI NON PLUS Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg
25 ( 17 ) SHBOOM (LIFE COULD BE A DREAM) Sha Na Na
26 ( 26 ) BABY COME BACK The Equals
27 ( 34 ) LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS Elton John
28 ( 10 ) JUKEBOX JIVE The Rubettes
29 ( NEW ) CHRISTMAS WITH DICKEN Mr. Big
30 ( NEW ) CHRISTMAS (BABY PLEASE COME HOME) Darlene Love

31 ( 11 ) OH YES YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL Gary Glitter
32 ( 15 ) SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN KC And The Sunshine Band
33 ( 18 ) JUNIOR'S FARM Paul McCartney & Wings
34 ( 19 ) ON THE RUN Scorched Earth
35 ( 20 ) ONLY YOU Ringo Starr
36 ( 22 ) GOODBYE NOTHIN' TO SAY The Javells featuring Nosmo King
37 ( 25 ) GET BACK The Beatles
38 ( 27 ) CANDY BABY Beano
39 ( 29 ) O.K. CHICAGO Resonance
40 ( NEW ) STREETS OF LONDON Ralph McTell

School was about to break up any week now, and I’d made some newer friends that I didn’t really know the previous school year, which was great, and I’d obviously turn the conversation over to pop given the opportunity, though cards was the main social activity still. Given my enthusiasm for Queen, Gloria Gaynor, Abba and the very camp Disco Tex at this time, it was just as well I had Beatles, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and others to point to my less-girlie tastes in music. Not that I considered them girlie at all, who cares about categories anyway!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:34 AM