BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have you ever had to call an emergency number?, weird/depressing thread i know but whatever
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 2 2014, 05:40 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

So have you ever had to call an emergency number? Police? Ambulance? Fire? Something else?

It just kinda pops in my mind every once in a while when I was like nine years old and had to call an ambulance for my grandmother, who has since passed away, but that happened years later. She was clearly not feeling good at all and I called an ambulance for her. I remember it like it was yesterday. I basically just said my grandmother is not feeling well and please come as soon as possible, but what happened was, I think they thought I was just some kid messing around or something, it took more calls from my sister and father (who had come home because of this) until the ambulance arrived. Pretty despicable if you ask me. One thing I do not remember is what they said to me on the phone. I just remember they didn't come until my sister and dad were like yelling on the phone for them to come.

She had a heart attack in the hospital I believe.

Again, I'm really sorry if this thread idea comes across as incredibly unnecessary/depressing/odd or whatever. I am a little bit interested to hear your own stories if you have them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Aug 2 2014, 05:45 PM
Post #2
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 126

When I worked at Morrisons, in the contacts list there was a number for 'Emergency Nun' unsure.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 2 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Simon. @ Aug 2 2014, 06:45 PM) *
When I worked at Morrisons, in the contacts list there was a number for 'Emergency Nun' unsure.gif

Ha, did you call it? Or were you at least tempted?

Maybe it was supposed to say 'Emergency Num'.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 2 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I had to call an ambulance after a girl in my university class collapsed, and she was taken to hospital. Thankfully she recovered and went on to complete her degree.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 2 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #5
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(Mattias @ Aug 2 2014, 01:40 PM) *
It just kinda pops in my mind every once in a while when I was like nine years old and had to call an ambulance for my grandmother, who has since passed away, but that happened years later. She was clearly not feeling good at all and I called an ambulance for her. I remember it like it was yesterday. I basically just said my grandmother is not feeling well and please come as soon as possible, but what happened was, I think they thought I was just some kid messing around or something, it took more calls from my sister and father (who had come home because of this) until the ambulance arrived. Pretty despicable if you ask me. One thing I do not remember is what they said to me on the phone. I just remember they didn't come until my sister and dad were like yelling on the phone for them to come.
I've seen plenty of news stories of children being commended for calling in an emergency. It's a shame whoever took your call chose not to take you seriously, especially when every minute is crucial.

My answer is no, I've never had to and I feel pretty fortunate in that regard. I mess up my words a lot on the phone even in a non-emergency so I can imagine it being very stressful, heart racing and all that.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Aug 2 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #6
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Surely it should be part of the job for an emergency services responder to take everything seriously? :/ I really find that quite horrifying that someone treated you like that. People could easily die in similar situations.

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Aug 2 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #7
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 126

QUOTE(Mattias @ Aug 2 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Ha, did you call it? Or were you at least tempted?

Maybe it was supposed to say 'Emergency Num'.

Always tempted! Never got to use it, the situation never arose sad.gif

+Quote Post
Jester
post Aug 2 2014, 06:53 PM
Post #8
On Hold
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12

I have that ICE thing on my phone and it apparently does help just in case.

I did call 999 once when I lived in my felt - there was a car crash right outside sad.gif

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Aug 2 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #9
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

I called 911 once when I was living in Chicago two summers ago. There was a group of us on a fairly empty train on our way home from a night out and these older, dodgy-looking guys started taking an interest in my drunk friend. When we were getting off the train, my friend was talking to them and didn't make it out before the doors closed. She looked really scared as the train was leaving and we had a really bad feeling about the guys and had been warned about taking certain trains at night, having heard of muggings and incidents of people being followed home. She didn't have a phone so we all split up with some of us running to the next stop and others waiting at the station but we didn't see her at or around he next stop so we started getting really worried and called the cops. They said they wouldn't do anything because she wasn't technically 'missing' (there was more to it but I can't remember exactly). Anyway, somehow we all missed her completely when she got off and walked home from the next stop. Was such a massive relief to find her in our apartment completely fine!

Think that's thankfully the only time I've rung an emergency number other than one time foolishly out of curiosity when I was about eight unsure.gif!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 2 2014, 07:38 PM
Post #10
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Simon. @ Aug 2 2014, 07:50 PM) *
Always tempted! Never got to use it, the situation never arose sad.gif

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Aug 2 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, had to call 999 one Sunday afternoon at our previous house, three streets away, when the boyfriend of the daughter next door came back from the pub and started a row with me. He put his fist through our glass front door and was going crazy and threatening us. The cops came very quickly and then everything calmed down. He agreed to replace the glass if we didn't press charges so we didn't.

This post has been edited by Common Sense: Aug 2 2014, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
Cal
post Aug 2 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 5,964
   No Gallery Pics

Had to call 112 about two months ago when some little prick tried to break into our house by climbing down my bedroom window while I was sleeping. Didn't help matters that I decided to poke my head out the window to get a look at him and he was there standing on the roof staring at me and waiting to get into the building. The layout of the house is hard to explain but the only reason anyone would be hanging off my window is if they wanted to get into it. Terrifying. sad.gif Two squad cars arrived with a load of police and undercover detectives which was only mildly mortifying. drama.gif

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Aug 2 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #13
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I've called 101, the non-emergancy number for Police Scotland a couple of times (notably after one guy nearly took the front end of my car out driving into a temporarily one way street right in front of the police station) but never the emergency number.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Aug 2 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

There's some heathland just behind my house. Unfortunately it has caught fire several times since I have been here so I've called the fire brigade a few times. On one occasion I actually saw it from my office window a couple miles away which meant I could phone and give a fairly precise location.

On each occasion the fire had already been reported but they always made it clear they would prefer to be called several times rather than not at all.

Once when I was a child I was on a bird-watching day-out with my mum and a friend at Rye Harbour. When looking out to see with binoculars we saw what looked like a floating dead body. After looking at it several times to decide whether it really could be a body we went to a pub to phone the police (mobiles were only known in science fiction at the time laugh.gif ). The police investigated and phoned us that evening to let us know that it was some fishing nets caught up in a buoy. Still they thanked us for reporting it and accepted that it was a genuine call.

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Aug 2 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #15
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

i've had to call the emergency services like into the 10's for sure

when i was younger my family's house was robbed / car & garage was set on fire all in the space of a month and that went back n forth for AGES which was a bit :S

and ive phoned ambulances just when my mum was sick i guess which isn't that much of a story

never had to do it for anyone outside of my family tho!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 2 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #16
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

Does Pizza Hut count?

+Quote Post
Jimmie
post Aug 3 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #17
I just can't date a Gurl with a vag.
Member No.: 8,741
   No Gallery Pics

Nearly 3 years ago, I had to call 999 after a horrific hit and run incident. While I did not actually see it happening, I heard the noises of screeching wheels and the person hitting the ground. It was awful sad.gif. The operator had me checking the person was still breathing etc. Luckily, he was still alive and breathing, just complaining of lots of pain once he came around. I never found out what happened to him after, hopefully he made a full recovery.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 3 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #18
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I once had to call the police when some kids outside kicked a football through our living room window. They were aiming for our upstairs neghbours for some reason.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Aug 3 2014, 09:59 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

Once as a child as there was a massive wasp nest and they were ragging and attacking people. They wanted to know where my friends parents were more than anything...

Had to call an ambulance on my friend once as she claimed she had taken something she shouldn't have. Ended up spending the night in hospital with her.

And the police NYE 2009 into 2010. Came home from a house party, was a sleep for a little while, only for someone to kick in my front door at my flat, because they didn't like one of my flatmates boyfriend, and they wanted to scare him...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:12 AM