BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Ghibli Closes [TEMPORARILY!], yay!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sugarplumberella
post Aug 4 2014, 12:13 AM
Post #1
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

http://www.hypable.com/2014/08/03/studio-g...ounces-closure/

Toshio Suzuki, Studio Ghibli’s general manager, took to Japanese television today to announce the closure of their animation feature film department.

Rumours of the Japanese animation studio’s closure have been circling the internet for the last couple of years, but a report from a Ghibli insider to Japanese website News Café made it appear as though that closure would be imminent. This rumour has now been confirmed by the general manager of the studio.

Studio Ghibli has been responsible for many beloved animated movies, not limited to Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro, and Howl’s Moving Castle. But they made no secret about the fact that in recent years they have been struggling financially, with their most recent movies failing to make a profit for the studio. The Tale of Princess Kaguya, released in 2013, made 5.1 billion yen, and was considered a flop by the studio due to the costs of the production.

Hayao Miyazaki, the co-founder of Studio Ghibli, retired last summer and handed the reins over to Toshio Suzuki — the latter gave up producing films to become the general manager.

The studio will now move on to managing their trademarks and copyrights, with a smaller staff, but will reportedly be keeping the option open to freelance out for any new, viable projects — as they used to prior to Porco Rosso. The full-time staff responsible for producing their feature films will presumably be let go.

When Marnie Was There will be their last feature film. It is based on the novel of the same name by Joan G. Robinson. The plot follows a sickly girl called Anna as she strikes up a friendship with the mysterious Marnie, while she recuperates at a seaside town. It was released on July 19 in Japan. There is no word yet on a U.S. release date.

😞😞
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Aug 4 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

:|

A part of me will die with this. Really upsetting news, but they have films to last with me for a lifetime so it's not all bad...

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 4 2014, 12:49 AM
Post #3
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

What? Nooo sad.gif Spirited Away is the Greatest movie of all time.

+Quote Post
richie
post Aug 4 2014, 06:55 AM
Post #4
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

Damn, that's bad news - we just bought Ponyo and Princess Mononoke at the weekend and were looking forward to getting some more.

The Wind Rises is one of the best films I've seen this year.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Aug 4 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #5
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Well, at least they can be V PROUD of what they've given the world, but obv that's not great news.

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Aug 4 2014, 10:25 AM
Post #6
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture...not-closing-yet !!!!!!!!

Rumours were flying around the internet on Sunday that Japan's beloved Studio Ghibli – responsible for film classics like My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away – was closing down and would never make another film. Thankfully, rumours of Ghibli's demise were premature; for now, at least.

Anime News Network reports that Studio Ghibli co-founder Toshio Suzuki addressed the animation studio's prospects in a meeting with its board of shareholders on Japanese TV show Jounetsu Tairiku. Suzuki acknowledges that the animation studio is undergoing some big changes, particularly after the retirement of co-founder Hayao Miyazaki in 2013.

"On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing (movies) forever," Suzuki said. "However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

He briefly raises the possibility that Studio Ghibli could dismantle its production department entirely, but says that the current emphasis is on "housecleaning" or restructuring to improve the studio for the next generation – hence the break in filmmaking.

So Ghibli's closure seems far from definite at this point, although it does make for sobering reading. After Miyazaki's departure last year, many questioned whether the studio could keep going without its inspired filmmaker at the helm. Its latest release, When Marnie Was Here, debuted with a weaker box office performance than expected. Miyazaki's final film, The Wind Also Rises, only grossed $5.2 million in America despite being nominated for an Oscar.

In July, a Ghibli insider told News Cafe that When Marnie Was Here would be the last Studio Ghibli release. Instead, it would only continue to exist as a rights management studio, making money off the anime it had produced so far.

Let's hope this isn't goodbye from Ghibli, though. We can think of one more animation studio that nearly packed it in after its visionary founder passed away in 1966. Thankfully, Disney decided to keep going after the successful release of the Jungle Book, and now owns a filmmaking empire in the form of Pixar and Marvel.

Fingers crossed Ghibli can turn things around in the same way.

+Quote Post
richie
post Aug 4 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #7
Poet and Storyteller
   No Gallery Pics

Hope they can turn it around - but "temporary closures" more often than not become permanent sad.gif

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Aug 4 2014, 05:33 PM
Post #8
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

What about the Porco Rosso sequel? sad.gif

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Aug 6 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

The Wind Rises didn't charm me the way Howl's, Totoro, Spirited, Ponyo, Fireflies, Cat Returns, Kiki or Mononoke had done in the past, so I really hope there's more magic to come.

+Quote Post
richie
post Aug 6 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #10
Poet and Storyteller
   No Gallery Pics

I think The Wind Rises was, dare I say it, a bit more grown up. It was a really good move...although I love the twisted fairy tale style of others.

Studios can't last forever, I'm glad I've only seen a handful as it means I can watch those I haven't still for the first time.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Aug 23 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #11
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

The Wind Rises didn't start very well, but the final 40 minutes are amazing. A great farewell by Miyazaki.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:29 PM