BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beyoncé to be awarded Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, Sunday August 24th on the MTA Video Music Awards
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Lovett™
post Aug 7 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,344

Beyoncé will receive the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award and perform at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards on Aug. 24 at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif.

An 11-time winner for her solo work and as a member of Destiny’s Child, Beyoncé leads all nominees this year with eight. Among the awards she is up for are Video of the Year, Best Female and Best Choreography.

Bey has performed numerous times on the VMAs: “Ring the Alarm” in 2006; “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” in 2009 and the baby-bump reveal on the 2011 show during "Love On Top."

The Video Vanguard Award has previously been given to Jackson, Madonna, Peter Gabriel, R.E.M., Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears.

Beyoncé finished the North American leg of the On The Run tour with husband Jay Z on Aug. 6. They are next scheduled to perform Sept. 12 and 13 in Paris.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/621...-vanguard-award
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
casey__
post Aug 10 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #2
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

Really undeserving in my opinion.

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Aug 10 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #3
#TeamKrustyKrab
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

Aww im really Happy for her smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lovett™
post Aug 10 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(kingofhearts @ Aug 10 2014, 02:29 AM) *
Really undeserving in my opinion.

Seriously? I can't think of anyone out at the moment more deserving.

+Quote Post
casey__
post Aug 11 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #5
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

I don't think her videos are particularly worthy of such an award. She's had one album (Beyoncé) where the visuals have been pretty good, but other than 'Single Ladies' has she really had that many incredible / iconic videos?

I don't think she's an artist that leads the way in terms of artist direction and creating something different / incredible, certainly not amongst her back catalogue of music videos. Isn't that what this award is for?

+Quote Post
Lovett™
post Aug 13 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member

"Crazy in Love" and "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" have always been her solo iconic videos, but she has "Bootylicious" and "Survivor" with Destiny's Child as well. Then with her latest album, she took her music videos to the next level. I think the award is given for a consistent high standard of music videos and releasing a visual album with so many music videos really helped her edge out the competition, in my opinion.

Most musical artists only really have a couple of 'iconic' music videos, it's all about keeping a high standard.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 14 2014, 07:44 PM
Post #7
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I think she definitely deserves the award. I'm a casual fan of some of her singles, at best... But, there's no denying her impact.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Aug 14 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #8
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I'd say P!nk probably deserves it more for the standard of her music videos if I'm honest.

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Aug 23 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #9
IDGAF
Member No.: 8,661

I don't think there's any way you can deny her of deserving this award. The VMAs are there to honour to past year in music videos and Beyoncé has absolutely slain in those terms, not to mentions the videos acknowledged by Lovett, she has "Beautiful Liar", "If I Were a Boy", "Halo", "Telephone" and "Run the World (Girls)", all of which I'd say were iconic to some extent.

Maybe P!nk will win one year, but unlike Bey, I don't think she has a single stand-out video, whilst Beyoncé has many, nor is she relevant to the Autumn 2013-Summer 2014 music video scene.

In terms of the awards ceremony, I'm hoping for a medley. Starting with "***Flawless" (with or without Nicki), followed by a "Drunk in Love"/"Crazy in Love" mash-up with Jay would be incredible. Wishful thinking though.

This post has been edited by THEO.: Aug 23 2014, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Aug 25 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #10
IDGAF
Member No.: 8,661

Full set and award presentation:

It was a bit much, there are a couple of songs from the album that I can't stand to listen to anymore (not including the singles which are spot-on). I love the moment with Jay and Blue, however 'real' it is (not that I feel it should be a public matter of speculation).

+Quote Post
troylovesmusic
post Aug 26 2014, 01:28 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 10,179
   No Gallery Pics

Loved the VMA peformance she really is the best live peformer of this generation. It was nice to see songs on the album that haven't been performed yet being performed . 'Jealous' is one of my favourites on the album so in glad that got performed . Blue Ivy is so adorable as well smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Aug 27 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i agree with casey. i don't think she received it for the quality, but more for the quantity of video output (aka doing about 25 videos for every album for some reason). sure, her videos are consistently decent enough with a COUPLE of iconic ones, but i'd say someone like katy perry deserves it much more, as there's a TREMENDOUS amount of effort put into each video she has, not just doing a beyonce and doing 25 half-arsed videos per album and having a few stick to the wall. in fact i would even say the same about her output. she's a woman of immense talent and beauty but what she has put out into the world doesn't show it / break any boundaries apart from a couple of occasions.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Aug 27 2014, 02:08 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member

now if she was to get an award for live performances now the bitch can HAVE IT (and i genuinely think that's about 50% of her appeal, the rest is that she's gorgeous)

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Aug 27 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member

although seeing that the video vanguard award is for people who have had an effect on MTV culture, and MTV itself isn't about music videos anymore, i can see why she's got it. she's the most talked about artist over the last couple of years.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:02 PM