BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Robin Williams (R.I.P.), u fave movies of his
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Aug 14 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Just a quick little forum, about the late actor Robin Williams who died on August 11th at the age of 63. I'm not going to discuss his death or his troubled private life and personal troubles, but his wonderful talent and his fantastic filmography in which I've watched throughout my childhood and still enjoy today. He got his big break on Mork And Mindy in 1978 which boosted him to worldwide fame and superstardom. His first starring role was in the live action version of the cartoon Popeye in 1980, where of course he played the lead character, but despite the movie becoming quite successful grossing over $60,000,000 million worldwide, it was seen as a flop by the studio, and for the next couple of years he had a string of flops or mid level movies.

His first truly successful movie was Good Morning Vietnam which saw him rebounded in 1987, where he won a Golden Globe for Best Actor, and also recieved a Oscar nomination and a Bafta, and of course it became a box office smash grossing $123,000,000 million. Throughout the next decade he starred in some truly brilliant and successful movies, ranging from serious and straight roles in Dead Poets Society (where again he had an Oscar nom), Awakenings, The Fisher King (Another Oscar nom & Golden Globe Win), & Good Will Hunting where he finally won an Oscar. His comedy roles are also just as memorable and just as well known such as Mrs Doubtfire (my personal fave of his, still love it today), Flubber, Aladdin, The Birdcage & Patch Adams which was part serious and part comedy, and such a brilliant hartwarming movie.

Other highlights include Hook, childrens adventure Jumanji, Jack. Also during the early 2000's he did some great thriller's playing against type in movies such as Insomia where he played a serial killer and One Hour Photo where he played a stalker.

So what are your thoughts on him and his movies.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Aug 14 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #2
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
Favourite movie would have to be Jumanji but his performance in Aladdin is also fabulous of course, and Hook is another personal fave. I've not really seen his more serious/adult roles so I think they'll have to be some that I check out.

+Quote this post
richie
post Aug 15 2014, 07:01 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poet's Society please.

+Quote this post
post Aug 15 2014, 09:24 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I'll never understand why Jumaji had such bad reviews, it really captured my imagination as a child. I grew up with so many Robin Williams films, I even have fond memories of Flubber.

My 5 absolute favourites are Insomnia, One Hour Photo, World's Greatest Dad, Aladdin and The Birdcage.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Aug 15 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
Good Morning Vietnam is on Channel 4 on Sunday night. It starts just after midnight so it might be better to record it.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Aug 15 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
Robin Williams is one of my favourite actors!! He always had a child's heart..You couldn't hate a man like him. I really enjoyed his movies and his acting was always decent. I have watched "Dead Poets Society", "Hook", Aladdin, "Mrs. Doubtfire", "Jumanji", "Nine Months", "Jack", "Good Will Hunting", A.I. Artificial Intelligence", "Insomnia", "One Hour Photo", "The Final Cut", "Robots", "Night at the Museum", "License to Wed" and "Night at the Museum : Battle of the Smithsonian". My favourite movie is "Dead Poets Society" because the story was very good and his acting deserved an Oscar Nomination. "Good Will Hunting" was a great movie and the performances of Robin and Matt were great too. "Hook" was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid and I read that book before I watched the movie. "Jumanji" had amazing visual effects for those years and the story was original. However, I think that his most memorable role was in Mrs. Doubtife. He played a woman character which it was so hard to succeed it but Robin did a great work. I really want to watch "What Dreams May Come" and "Bicentennial Man".

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Aug 15 2014, 09:12 PM

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 15 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
License to Wed is a fabulous movie, but with Mandy Moore and John Krasinski in it, that was a given.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:26 AM