BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2014 Uni/College/Etc., check in
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post Sep 4 2014, 03:08 AM
Post #1
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Thought I'd restart this thread for the new year. It should be interesting to see what everyone's studying!

What course or program are you taking?
What university do you attend?
What year are you starting? (i.e. is this your 1st year, 2nd year, etc.)
How far from home are you?
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)??

Please answer even if you're in college, I'm aware that's different from "uni" (they're both called college in the States!) but hopefully the same questions apply!

Here's mine, though I won't start 'til January:
What course or program are you taking? Geographic Information Sciences/GIS [Graduate Certificate]
What university do you attend? University of Akron
What year are you starting? 1st year, 5th in total
How far from home are you? 30 minutes, still living at home!
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? Nervous about getting back in the swing of things after a year and a half off! I chose GIS based on multiple recommendations, it was brought up often in job interviews but there's so much I don't know about it. My BA was in architectural studies but I'm leaning toward urban/regional planning as a career. Didn't want to go for a Master's just yet but the option's still there if I need it! For the certificate I can either take 3 classes at a time and finish in a year, or 2 at a time and be done in a year and a half.

This post has been edited by Riser: Sep 4 2014, 11:46 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug
post Sep 4 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #2
I can't help that I need it all...
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,410

BA (hons) graphic design

university of salford

What year are you starting?

about 1 hour 15-30 mins on the train

to actually concentrate and do more work to a higher standard and to take deadlines more seriously. the whole 'it's only first year' philosophy made me close to failing a couple of my assignments and now that I'll be at the point where my grades go towards what I'll get in my degree I aim to work hard enough to get a first overall in the end.
saying that I'll still be going out a lot, it's manchester. I'll just have to adapt to going out less than in the first year sad.gif

+Quote Post
post Sep 4 2014, 04:10 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 8,103
   No Gallery Pics

What course or program are you taking? Bachelor of Business & Bachelor of Commerce
What university do you attend? Griffith University, Gold Coast, Australia
What year are you starting? I started the year in March ;_;
How far from home are you? 10 minute drive
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? GPA of 6 by the end of this year

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 4 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #4
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Bachelor in the veterinary medicine

Antwerp University

I'm just starting in 2 weeks, first year obvi biggrin.gif

About 3 hours and in a different county sooo.....
We'll see how that works out laugh.gif

Let me first pass my first year, because that's usually the toughest one, before I start looking any further

This post has been edited by *Tim: Sep 4 2014, 11:45 AM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Sep 4 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #5
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(Riser @ Sep 3 2014, 11:08 PM) *
Okay, to clarify I meant are you starting your first year, second year, etc. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 4 2014, 12:11 PM
Post #6
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

BA English Lit

University of Sussex

2nd Year

As the crow flies, about 90 minutes

If I had long term goals/expectations I wouldn't be doing an English degree! Shortish term my goal is to try and do Uni this year while remaining healthy (maybe famous last words but we'll see). Course wise nothing except the generic "do well and don't rely on all nighters".

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Sep 4 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #7
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

What course or program are you taking? BA(Hons) Social Science
What university do you attend? University Of The West Of Scotland (Hamilton Campus)
What year are you starting? 1st Year
How far from home are you? a 40 minute bus journey laugh.gif
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? I would like to either become a history teacher or a historian like Sir Tom Devine! I am doing Social Science because it qualifies me in other subjects as well as history, in case I cannot get a job teaching history

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 4 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #8
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 4 2014, 10:33 AM) *

Did not know this is what you were heading into ohmy.gif Was considering the same some years ago because of my love for animals but opted against it mainly because i couldn't face the daily things i'd have to see with said animals sad.gif Such a demanding but rewarding & exciting career option and i'd love to hear how it goes for you.

~

What course or program are you taking? - PGDipEd (Primary)
What university do you attend? University of Birmingham
What year are you starting? - would be my 5th(!) year at uni
How far from home are you? - will be still at home for this year because the program sends you all over Birmingham so it made sense to have a stable place to stay and journey from.
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? - hoping to still ENJOY myself as much as possible away from the course and that's some of the key advice i've received. Too easy to get bogged down in what you're doing but it's important to break away from it too to have fun for sanity's sake.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 4 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

What course or program are you taking? HND Contemporary Art Practise.
What university do you attend? Forth Valley College
What year are you starting? (i.e. is this your 1st year, 2nd year, etc.) 1st year of the course, but my 3rd proper year of College.
How far from home are you? my college is a 20 minute walk from home laugh.gif
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? If I do well on this course, I can go into my 3rd year of my degree, so hopefully that. if not,
then at least I will have some decent qualifications and made some new friends.

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Sep 4 2014, 01:27 PM
Post #10
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

MA Town and Regional Planning

University of Sheffield

It's a one year MA, so 4th year (sort of)

Hour and a half door to door, even in the car or by train. Perfect for going home when I want, feels like miles away because of all the bloody hills in the middle.

Unless something dramatic changes this WILL be my last year, so job applications for generic graduate schemes and grovelling emails to get experience in a planning office over Christmas are going to take up most of first semester. Next year I'd like to have a planning related job (unless I find something more interesting) in the middle of Manchester, but I'd be open to Leeds or staying in Sheffield as well.

Either that or I end up falling in love with Seoul on next May's field trip and decide the Far East is my calling. I doubt it.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 4 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

MA in Film, Television & Screen Media

Birkbeck, University of London

4th year of uni officially though first of this uni and degree obvs.

Not far, staying at home for this one. I think around 30/45 minutes away? Can't afford to live out.

Well during the year I will work hard as possible to get the best out of what is one of the top universities in London in a subject I really am passionate about, and which includes a work placement in a TV/Film company. If all goes to plan, I will hopefully come out of it with a decent degree, some relevant work experience/contacts to help in the job market and, once I have enough money, the qualification to start a PhD at the same uni to start my hopeful career in academia - that's the aim anyway, my future basically entirely depends on this masters, so I just really want it to start already!

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Sep 4 2014, 01:35 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 4 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #12
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Well I'm at sixth form but yay I like filling out things and sixth form is equivalent to college kinda laugh.gif

What course or program are you taking? A Levels in Sociology, Psychology and English Language
What university do you attend? Sir Bernard Lovell School sixth form
What year are you starting? (i.e. is this your 1st year, 2nd year, etc.) 2nd year of A Levels (year 13 at school)
How far from home are you? 30 minute or so walk
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? Go to uni and study psychology and/or sociology, thinking of maybe teaching those subjects after that.

+Quote Post
jonny
post Sep 4 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,646
   No Gallery Pics

What course or program are you taking? bsc psychology
What university do you attend? OU
What year are you starting? (i.e. is this your 1st year, 2nd year, etc.) 3rd year
How far from home are you? going crazy and living at home
What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?? currently working as a youth and community worker and doing one-on-one autism support, previous experience in schools, education, psychology etc. something in child development research or sen teaching maybe

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Sep 4 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 4 2014, 10:33 AM) *

Antwerp University

I'm just starting in 2 weeks, first year obvi biggrin.gif

About 3 hours and in a different county sooo.....
We'll see how that works out laugh.gif

Let me first pass my first year, because that's usually the toughest one, before I start looking any further

Good luck with that. We've just had a programme on in this country called Young Vets, 10 episodes, as they approach thir final exams and go on placements at vet practices. It's been good.

+Quote Post
jjake
post Sep 4 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #15
jenny from human resources
Member No.: 47

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Sep 4 2014, 02:29 PM) *
MA in Film, Television & Screen Media

Birkbeck, University of London

4th year of uni officially though first of this uni and degree obvs.

Not far, staying at home for this one. I think around 30/45 minutes away? Can't afford to live out.

Well during the year I will work hard as possible to get the best out of what is one of the top universities in London in a subject I really am passionate about, and which includes a work placement in a TV/Film company. If all goes to plan, I will hopefully come out of it with a decent degree, some relevant work experience/contacts to help in the job market and, once I have enough money, the qualification to start a PhD at the same uni to start my hopeful career in academia - that's the aim anyway, my future basically entirely depends on this masters, so I just really want it to start already!

i never realised there was another Londoner in our midst (tho tbf I don't think we've ever interacted before) where do u live?

birkbeck offer some fabulous courses. good luck.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 4 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #16
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 4 2014, 01:06 PM) *
Did not know this is what you were heading into ohmy.gif Was considering the same some years ago because of my love for animals but opted against it mainly because i couldn't face the daily things i'd have to see with said animals sad.gif Such a demanding but rewarding & exciting career option and i'd love to hear how it goes for you.

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Sep 4 2014, 02:16 PM) *
Good luck with that. We've just had a programme on in this country called Young Vets, 10 episodes, as they approach thir final exams and go on placements at vet practices. It's been good.

Thanks guys, I'll try my best and y'all obviously will notice how it goes on here.

Yeah that was my main concern too, Bal, but I've been dreaming about it since I was 12, so I decided the pro's were better than the cons (i.e. the daily thing you mentioned) but at the end of te day you help them and without you they may not have been where they are now.
Of course it's going to be very sad when one dies or is lethally wounded or something, but I think that's something that'll get easier after a while (?!) tho I don't think I could ever get used to a dieing animal

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 4 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #17
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 4 2014, 04:08 PM) *
Thanks guys, I'll try my best and y'all obviously will notice how it goes on here.

Yeah that was my main concern too, Bal, but I've been dreaming about it since I was 12, so I decided the pro's were better than the cons (i.e. the daily thing you mentioned) but at the end of te day you help them and without you they may not have been where they are now.
Of course it's going to be very sad when one dies or is lethally wounded or something, but I think that's something that'll get easier after a while (?!) tho I don't think I could ever get used to a dieing animal

You're made of stronger stuff than i am! And that's a very good way of looking at it. They'd train you up to deal with the emotional side too in the course i would have thought, so i'm sure you'll get by a-okay.com as you go through it.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 4 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #18
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(░░░░ @ Sep 4 2014, 03:56 PM) *
i never realised there was another Londoner in our midst (tho tbf I don't think we've ever interacted before) where do u live?

birkbeck offer some fabulous courses. good luck.

Indeed! I live in Leytonstone, East London, I've moved back here after finishing Uni at Kingston Upon Thames (so still in London really) a few months ago, but I've lived here all my life apart from that. Do you live near?

I know, it looks so amazing and was so glad I got a place, at the same time, a little daunting as it won't be a walk in the park!

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Sep 4 2014, 04:17 PM

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Sep 5 2014, 04:35 PM
Post #19
IDGAF
Member No.: 8,661

BA English Language and Linguistcs

University of Westminster

Second year

200 miles from my parents' house / Half an hour via public transport from my house to uni

What are your hopes/expectations (either short or long-term)?
I'm not sure, really! I'm fairly nervous about returning to London in general and haven't given much thought to my actual studies over the summer. I hope I'll get back into the swing of things fairly quickly, one of my closest friends who was on my course has dropped out of uni, so it'll be tough without her to be completely baffled by everything with but I should be fine without her seeing as she was absent for the majority of our course last year.
Long-term, I have no idea what I'm going to do with my degree but I'm pretty much taking it a term/year at a time and I'll see what happens at the end of it all!

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Sep 5 2014, 04:47 PM
Post #20
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

How did you find Kingston Uni Tom? I looked round it earlier in the year and I didn't really like it sad.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 02:09 PM