BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Archiving/Backing Up Music Online, Suggestions?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Colm
post Sep 4 2014, 10:27 AM
Post #1
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

I've been buying CDs for 20 years now and despite getting rid of hundreds of CD singles a few years ago, still have many many discs.

These take up a lot of room so I was wondering if anyone has attempted to back up their music online somewhere.
I realise it will take a long time to rip the discs but it would be worth it to get rid of many of the lesser artists of whom I dont really need a physical copy of their albums. (Hi Oasis).

I tried an external hard drive but they are vulnerable to physical abuse and end up getting dropped. I lost 14,000 mp3s in 2010 - no huge financial loss as I hadn't paid for any of them.

Any pitfalls, drawbacks to be noted?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Sep 4 2014, 10:39 AM
Post #2
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

Storing your shit on hard drives is a better way in my eyes because guess where your music would be stored if you chose the online option... Servers, which are also hardware. Plus, if they work for free they aren't under any obligation to keep your shit intact and can just shut down one day out of the blue.

Are you planning on performing in circus with them hard drives anyway? You're talking like you're going to be juggling them and/or punching and/or dropping them every day. My first hard drive is like 4 years old already and I'm still to accidentally drop it. Unless you are planning to store hard drives near your work station with hammers and power drills, I think it is the best option.

One can easily download everything they need as soon as they need it these days anyway, so if I lost all my shit (which I HAVE a few times!) I'd be like okay.com *downloads album i want from torrents*~

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 4 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #3
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(Conderella @ Sep 4 2014, 10:39 AM) *
Storing your shit on hard drives is a better way in my eyes because guess where your music would be stored if you chose the online option... Servers, which are also hardware. Plus, if they work for free they aren't under any obligation to keep your shit intact and can just shut down one day out of the blue.

Are you planning on performing in circus with them hard drives anyway? You're talking like you're going to be juggling them and/or punching and/or dropping them every day. My first hard drive is like 4 years old already and I'm still to accidentally drop it. Unless you are planning to store hard drives near your work station with hammers and power drills, I think it is the best option.

One can easily download everything they need as soon as they need it these days anyway, so if I lost all my shit (which I HAVE a few times!) I'd be like okay.com *downloads album i want from torrents*~

I agree with Pavlova that hardrives are the best way. If you're scared of dropping, store them away somewhere safe, until you need it again

+Quote Post
Colm
post Sep 4 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #4
Yes, it's me.

I dropped the last one because it was plugged in at the time sad.gif and I got caught in the cable.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 4 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

back up on external hard drive, and then have an emergency back-up hard drive in case of accidents, just back-up the emergency back-up every 6 months. Only 50 or so, worth it not to have the hassle of replacing.

I'm cautious....

+Quote Post
Colm
post Sep 4 2014, 11:44 AM
Post #6
Yes, it's me.

Yeah, I guess.

Some of my CDs don't rip very well so there's loads to cracking noises. I'll try ripping them on another machine. The disc looks fine.

So
- Rip everything to my PC
- Copy everything to a back up and update once a month.
- Copy to a second back up every six months.

How does one work out what's has been acquired since the last backup? Files will be all over the place. I guess do a search for *.mp3 and sort by date.

There must be a better way.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Sep 4 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #7
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

(I HAD TO)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:42 PM