BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The biggest news stories of your lifetime
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Sep 11 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

With it being the anniversary of 9/11 today, i thought we could all discuss what we consider to the be the BIGGEST news stories of our lifetimes. I remember where i was when i heard about 9/11 and it was perhaps the first time i ever experienced 'death' especially at such a large scale. I'm sure a lot would have this high up but i'm aware some members might not have even been WALKING when it happened so for the youngsters in particular, what would you say is the biggest news story/event that you can remember? There have been a few "you know where you were when you heard about..." moments so which were most significant for you?

On a personal level, the most tragic & therefore biggest news for me was Michael Jackson's death so i'd put that as the most significant to me. The fact i heard about it on the dancefloor during my leaver's prom made it all the more memorable and i spent the rest of the night (and week~) in pieces sob.gif

You? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Sep 11 2014, 04:36 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

We could have Scotland's independence to fit this soon. ohmy.gif

(i make this comment without wishing to provoke a 'will they/won't they' debate')

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Sep 11 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Michael Jackson's death would probably be my top pixx for this as well to be honest but to be different I'll say the London riots. It really felt like the world was ending with the coverage of that. (Exaggerated I know, but then so was the coverage).

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Sep 11 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #4
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

For me the biggest was Princess Diana's death. I was only 6 and couldn't understand why the kids shows weren't on TV and why my parents were crying. But it's the earliest memory of a big news story I have.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 11 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

I remember Princess Diana's death very vividly too. The news coverage interrupted morning tea and biscuits in bed with the parents so was obviously a huge deal for me~

I didn't really know who she was at the time, but my parents were distraught at the news and so i think i was more worried about them being upset than anything.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Sep 11 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #6
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

9/11 was massive for me. I was 10 at the time and I'd just finished school when I found out. I knew it was bad but I don't think until a little while later just how bad it was, and that it wa such a significant event that would change the world forever.

I was 6 when Diana died, but I remember that day so clear. My mum was a massive fan and it interrupted my morning tv programmes, and my mum did not believe me when I told her. Massive event for me, because my parents were glued to the tv for the next few hours and were in bits!

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 11 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I don't have any memories of 9/11 or Diana's death, being that I was 6 and 2 when they happened. So based on that I'd probably say 7/7 because I have strong memories about the fact my Dad had gone up to London that day and my Nan lived there.

The first I knew of Jacko's death was when I turned on Breakfast TV and they were interviewing an MJ impersonator. Fun fact.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Sep 11 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #8
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Technically Diana's death and 9/11 did happen in my lifetime but I was too young to remember those events as they happened.

The first BIG news event I remember happening was the 7/7 bombings. We were living in London at the time so naturally I was going to remember that. Fortunately no-one I knew was hurt.

Then Michael Jackson's death of course, that one especially as radio was dominated by his songs for the next few weeks and I realised how many good tunes he had.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Sep 11 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #9
if you f*** around, boy i'll hunt you down
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,316

I was only a day old when Diana died, so obviously don't remember anything about it, but my mum and dad always go on about how she died the day after I was born.

I suppose the biggest one for me is Kylie's cancer. Was still on such a massive high after the Showgirl tour, so it was devastating to hear of that. Still remember it being all over the news.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 11 2014, 05:08 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ Sep 11 2014, 05:39 PM) *
For me the biggest was Princess Diana's death. I was only 6 and couldn't understand why the kids shows weren't on TV and why my parents were crying. But it's the earliest memory of a big news story I have.

I was the same, my memory of it is vague but I think at the time I was more annoyed I couldn't watch Teletubbies than understand what happened!

I don't actually remember where I was at the time of 9/11 oddly, I was 8 at the time so I'd imagine school but the actual details are still vague. The 7/7 bombings I remember very clearly though, I was in my first year of secondary school at the time and was just about to finish for the day, but then we were all called to the hall and no one was allowed to leave until their parents called. It was ages before I was allowed to go home, and it was rather nerve wracking walking that brief distance home to say the least! My brother and sister also had a school trip to Kew Gardens scheduled that afternoon, it was obviously cancelled.

To brighten up this thread a bit, I also remember the time when it was first announced we were hosting the 2012 Olympics. I'd never seen so many people so happy!

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Sep 11 2014, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 11 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #11
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

I remember 9/11 quite vividly.

I was in home room for 6th grade and our teacher turned on the TV for the morning announcements. It's set on cable until the schools broadcast began and I remember seeing two towers on fire and footage of people running. I really thought it was a movie, it never crossed my mind it could be real until the teacher gasped and turned the channel quickly. Which was understandable considering it was a room full of 11 and 12 year olds.

Everyone's parents came and picked them up. There was a line leading out of the exit of the school. At the moment everyone assumed we were under a mass scale terrorist attack. It was actually quite terrifying for the next couple of days, the media made it seem like there were going to be several more attacks.

I definitely would say that's the biggest news event to happen in my lifetime. It was quite interesting and enlightening to see it through the confusion of a child's eyes. I'm sure I would have reacted a lot differently if it were to happen today instead.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 11 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The first news story I remember hearing about was the Aberfan disaster. That would have been around the time we had our first television.

Apart from the stories already mentioned, the big stories have included

Richard Nixon resigns as US President
Thatcher resigns as UK PM
The moon landings
The Apollo 13 malfunction
The Boxing Day tsunami

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Sep 11 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #13
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

It would definitely have to be 9/11 for me. I was 13 at the time, so I was old enough to remember it vividly. I remember a teacher telling us at the start of our afternoon lesson that "a plane has crashed in America", but he was vague about it. At this point none of us quite understood the severity of the situation. When I came home from school, my Dad was watching BBC News and asked me if I'd heard about what had happened, so I sat down to watch it too. That was when I understood what was happening, seeing those horrifying clips on the TV... I remember feeling pretty terrified and unsafe. The day after at school, the mood was understandably sombre. I recall that our English lesson was devoted to reading the newspapers regarding the attacks.

Second would indeed be Diana's death. I was only 9 at the time, but I was aware of who she was. I woke up early to watch my usual kids programmes and the news was on, reporting her death. I knew immediately that my parents would want to know, so I woke them up... they couldn't believe it. It was quite a weird time leading up to her funeral, it seemed like everyone was in mourning. We had a special assembly at school on the first day back, and I remember a lot of teachers were crying.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Sep 11 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Sep 11 2014, 06:08 PM) *
To brighten up this thread a bit, I also remember the time when it was first announced we were hosting the 2012 Olympics. I'd never seen so many people so happy!

I don't really remember much about the announcement that we had it but if the actual event counts as a 'news story' then I take back my post and replace it with that. Literally the best couple of weeks of my life. Which I suppose isn't even what the thread is asking but still kink.gif

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 11 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #15
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

The Tsunami's in Asia, the earthquake in Haiti, Katrina, the attack on the Royal Family in Apeldoorn and the crash of MH17 probably were the biggest of my life.

Especially MH17, which influenced my holiday quite a bit. I was utterly shocked by all of them and I remember hearing/reading about it really well

EDIT: Also the London Riots and the Madrid Bombings as well! How did I forget those

This post has been edited by *Tim: Sep 11 2014, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 11 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler~ @ Sep 11 2014, 06:10 PM) *
I remember 9/11 quite vividly.

I was in home room for 6th grade and our teacher turned on the TV for the morning announcements. It's set on cable until the schools broadcast began and I remember seeing two towers on fire and footage of people running. I really thought it was a movie, it never crossed my mind it could be real until the teacher gasped and turned the channel quickly. Which was understandable considering it was a room full of 11 and 12 year olds.

Everyone's parents came and picked them up. There was a line leading out of the exit of the school. At the moment everyone assumed we were under a mass scale terrorist attack. It was actually quite terrifying for the next couple of days, the media made it seem like there were going to be several more attacks.

I definitely would say that's the biggest news event to happen in my lifetime. It was quite interesting and enlightening to see it through the confusion of a child's eyes. I'm sure I would have reacted a lot differently if it were to happen today instead.

I heard people looking at a computer screen discussing it when I came out of a meeting. At first I assumed they were looking at a site with unlikely film plots sad.gif

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Sep 11 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #17

Although actually wasn't the Olympic announcement a day before the 7th July attacks? That might explain why I don't remember it too well, it was overshadowed pretty quickly.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Sep 11 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Sep 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Although actually wasn't the Olympic announcement a day before the 7th July attacks? That might explain why I don't remember it too well, it was overshadowed pretty quickly.

It was, yes.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 11 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE({ bré } @ Sep 11 2014, 06:25 PM) *

It was I think yeah, probably the biggest comedown between news stories I've seen sad.gif

I think the biggest recent one for me was Hurricane Sandy - mainly because I was actually IN New York at the time. We were thankfully in an area that wasn't affected hugely and even survived the power cuts, but srsly, you couldn't pick up a news channel that wasn't filled with flooding images and we were basically confined to our hotel room!

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Sep 11 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,403

diana's death was tragic for me. apparently i was in hysterical tears and absolute idolised her (despite being only 4, my calendar on the wall proved it!!!) so that was a big one. another one was whitney houston which hit me like an absolute brick.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 11:46 PM