BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Five years ago - W/E 19/09/2009, ...that the chart's gonna be a good chart...
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post Sep 14 2014, 11:57 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 6,614
Five years ago this weekend, I took part in a project where you wrote a letter to yourself that would be posted through your door in five years time, along with a Polaroid photograph(!) of you with the letter. A couple of days ago, having long forgotten about it, I received an email reminding me of it and asking me for my current postal address so they could send it off! So either today or tomorrow I'll be receiving a letter that I wrote to myself when I was 20, almost 21 years old, as I'm about to turn the age of 26 in a couple of weeks. I have absolutely no memory of what I wrote but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Gordon Brown was prime minister, David Tennant was Doctor Who and I thought I'd look back at the top 40 announced that Sunday evening, week-ending 19th September 2009 - helped by the fact that there's some astonishingly good tracks particularly as we reach the top 10. But in James Masterton style, let's start with #40 and go upwards from there:

40: Livvi Franc feat. Pitbull - Now I'm That Chick

Starting with one I don't remember at all, #40 was as high as this got - the title's the radio edit version of a song that's actually called Now I'm That Bitch. Spotify has it though, and giving it a listen it's an average bit of end-of-the-decade electro-pop by someone who was clearly attempting to be the British Rihanna (same age, part Barbadian and they're both styled the same) and slightly failing, never appearing in the chart since.

39: Daniel Merriweather - Red

Ah now this one was alright, a big "new face of 2009" after first being heard on a Mark Ronson track, he had a minor hit with 'Change' but this was obviously meant to be the big solo breakthrough, peaking at #5 and having a major chart run after being released back in May and would have a couple more weeks top 40 around the end of the year and beginning of the next. And, erm, we've never heard from him since, being one of a host of talented singers who brush with brief success only to be immediately thrown out the door when everyone loses interest. Shame as this is nicely above average if not spectacular.

38: Biffy Clyro - That Golden Rule

A group that passed me by completely at the time, only being aware of them after Matt Cardle covered Many of Horror, it's a mildly upbeat rock track just before the genre almost completely vanished from the charts in favour of urban dance-pop for a few years. Something that could have been a hit at any point in the noughties, but by this time I was sick of all this having had a decade dominated by indie and much preferring the electro-pop being released.

37: Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow

Instead it was things like THIS that soundtracked 2009 for me, probably my fave song of the year at the time though I think In For The Kill's overtaken it these days. This absolutely blew me away at the time and it took me a while to work out what the hell the BEPs were doing, returning after a long absence and producing a song so weird it sounded like they'd gone nuts.

The power of Boom Boom Pow may have faded a little since, but I still love it just for seemingly being about six songs in one, changing style every 30 seconds or so and I actually prefer the radio edit for adding to the weirdness by not just silencing out the swear words but digitally messing with the surrounding vocals to sound like the track's glitching like mad. Not to everyone's tastes but I think this is fantastic stuff, and blows the much more commercial follow-up single out the water - as charming as that may also be.

36: Cascada - Evacuate The Dancefloor

The first group I ever saw live, at the Hammersmith Apollo in March 2008 having spent the preceeding year or so being OBSESSED with 'Everytime We Touch' soundtracking many a pre-clubbing adventure. Words cannot describe the absolute dismay when they came back with this, a desperate, ugly attempt to stay relevant by copying Lady Gaga's 'Just Dance' in all but name - and what's worse was that they ended up being bloody rewarded by it by not only becoming their first and only #1, but beating Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror to the top!

They've failed to come anywhere near since despite other copycat attempts at nicking other people's song ideas. For me, Cascada's golden age spans Everytime We Touch to What Hurts The Most and everything after that I'm trying to forget ever happened.

35: David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland - When Love Takes Over

He'd been in the charts for years, I'd been a fan since 2005 and he'd reached as high as #3 with Love Don't Let Me Go, but this track was truly the start of Guetta mania and when everyone started jumping on the bandwagon to make so-called EDM songs, actually your standard European dance music but given a cooler name so the previously dance-phobic Americans could get on board.

And yet this didn't really seem like the start of anything at the time, it's a fabulous summer track but seems very much a typical noughties dance song - it could have come out as far back as 2006 and done just as well. It was his follow-up that really did sound a bit different and much more part of the next decade, but you'll have to wait for that tongue.gif

34: Jeremih: Birthday Sex

Oh god this is dire, thankfully the end of the bland, needlessly sexual R&B that bored me to death through most of the decade before things got more upbeat in the following years. There's a big following for it but it's never a genre that's appealed to me, maybe because it takes me back a bit too much to the dying few minutes at the end of overpriced, slightly sleazy Central London clubnights I visited a few of around this time. Never again. Peaked at #15 here but a much bigger hit in the US where it reached #4.

33: Jamie T - Chaka Demus EP

One hell of a weird singing voice but there's some good tracks and clever ideas during his brief bit of late noughties fame, the lead track here was probably his most commercial to date but it's what made me first take notice of him and introduced me to the brilliant 'Sheila' from a couple years earlier. It's a brilliant, carefree pop song despite some slightly angry sounding vocals and I'm mystified as to why it only peaked at #23 and slid out the chart soon after, surely it deserved a top 10 place?

32: U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

What was at one point one of the world's biggest rock groups made a huge misfire at the start of the year with one of the worst comeback songs I can remember, the bewilderingly bad 'Get On Your Boots' which flopped majorly by their standards. This is single number 3 and by now they're back to standard U2 fare, but perhaps it was a little too late as this only got to #32 - better at least than second single 'Magnificent' which missed the top 40 altogether. None of them are first single material in a Beautiful Day/Vertigo sort of way, and with downloads putting an end to fanbase purchases from 'legacy' acts such as Bon Jovi, Kylie, the Pet Shop Boys etc, their hit single career seems to be over. Perhaps that's why they've resorted to sneaking their new album onto every iPhone...

31: Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)

Some songs I can't claim to have ever been a proper fan of but they do at least take me back to some good times, this song was hammered in every club I went to that summer - hearing it on slightly worn-out headphones in my room late at night can't really compare to it being blasted out of bass-heavy speakers on a crowded dancefloor, buying drinks at the bar and wincing at the prices (bearing in mind we're talking about £4 a pint here, standard in London today but on the expensive side back in 2009). It's still something I'd not actually make the effort of listening to but I close my eyes and I'm back to being 20 years old again, living my mid-university life with the quest to get as drunk as possible while *still* waking up bright and refreshed for studying the next morning. Good, slightly messy times.

30-21 to follow in the next post!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
30: Lady Gaga - Paparazzi

She doesn't really need much introduction today, but on the off-chance that someone, anywhere is for some reason reading this many years or decades in the future, this lady was absolutely massively hailed as the huge new thing in pop music at the time and by now she could genuinely claim to be a megastar. She started cautiously with the standard late-noughties, Gwen Stefani style pop of Just Dance, went a bit more interesting with the mega-selling Poker Face, and by the time Bad Romance came out at Christmas she'd absolutely made her mark and seemed completely unstoppable. Much has already been written about her supposed 'downfall' since, to be fair she did release the best song of her career two years later with Official Summer 2011 Anthem The Edge of Glory, but you can't seriously say that, here in 2014, she's anywhere near the force she was half a decade ago. It's not too late but if she wants to stay relevant she better release something good.

This was single number 3, and like Boom Boom Pow earlier it's difficult at first to remember what all the fuss was about but this really did sound *so* different at the time, it was never my fave on The Fame - that would go to Poker Face - but this one is blessed with one a hell of a killer chorus which does show she can at least actually sing better than anything released so far.

29: Lady Gaga - Lovegame

Oh hey again. Yeah, two tracks in the top 40 shows that we really couldn't get enough of her at the time, this was single number 4 and if you wondering what it's doing below Paparazzi, it was actually climbing up the chart as Paparazzi was falling, eventually hitting a respectable #19 given everyone already had the album by now.

The "wanna take a ride on your disco stick" is still a mad if oddly brilliant lyric today, but I'm not quite as keen on this one as I was at the time and prefer Paparazzi.

28: La Roux - Bulletproof

And so to my favourite without doubt act of all of 2009, absolutely stunning me with both In For The Kill and this, which I'm not only proud to own on 7" vinyl but signed by Elly Jackson herself - for some reason HMV were selling signed copies of it off at the now-closed Oxford Street branch for a couple of pounds each! The version on my iPod and iTunes has been copied directly from my first and only play of the vinyl on my USB turntable, for that extra 80s retro feel.

In For The Kill might have lit up dancefloors the most, particularly the Skream remix which sold almost as much as the original, but this one seemed to attract a younger, poppier audience, hitting #1 when In For The Kill got to #2 and I remember hearing various kids singing it on tubes and buses as they had done with Katy Perry's 'Hot & Cold' before and Idina Menzel's 'Let It Go' today. The whole album is wonderful, seeing her at 2010's V Festival was a joy and I'm sad that her recent comeback has been all but ignored, both perhaps leaving it a bit too late and having no real big singles up her sleeve this time. Says a lot how much I still enjoy their singles half a decade on despite playing them so much five years ago, easily a whole noughties highlight for me.

27: Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

First charting at the very beginning of the year, it's radio ubiquity ensured it simply would not die and it stayed in the charts for a crazy amount of time, by now becoming something of a hate figure as it re-appeared again and again. Some even to this day may never want to hear it again, but having missed a lot of its overplay I still really like it today, a fun little inoffensive tune with a melody that warms even my bitter, quarter-century old heartstrings.

26: Lily Allen - 22

I don't know about youuuu! But I'm feeling twenty t...wait, this isn't it?

Yeah, years before Taylor Swift released a song about the same age, Lily had already done this bitter tale of a 30 year old already feeling past it in comparison to her recent early twenties past. It's something that, age 20, I couldn't really relate to but I'm slightly getting it more today. Unfortunately it was released in place of what should have been the third single from the album, "F*** You* which was given a European release but not here, although a video was made. That's the one I remember playing a huge amount on a new thing called 'Spotify' a Scandinavian friend recommended me to a few months later - and seeing her live at Hyde Park's Wireless Festival in 2010, everyone raising their middle fingers in the air and singing "F*** YOU! F*** YOU VERY VERY MUUUUCCHHH!" at the top of their voices may well be a bit of a festival highlight for me.

25: Shakira - She Wolf

A big hit of late 2009, I wasn't sure what to make of this at the time as I listened expecting another Whenever Wherever/Hips Don't Lie stomper and instead get a chilled house track with Shakira singing in a bizarrely high voice, and then Cher vocoder-style, before the song suddenly ends mid-beat. It's never really hit me and I always feel a bit too baffled to properly enjoy it, it ended up going top 5 though so the experiment worked.

24: Booty Luv - Say It

Down from its peak of 16 and must be up there with the more obscure top 20 hits of the year, I was really impressed with Booty Luv at first as I loved all their first four singles from late 2006 to early 2008. This was their "big" comeback and I'm slightly embarrassed to say I saw them sing this live all the way back in early April that year, as part of a bumper pack of acts including Sash and Basshunter.

So why it didn't get released until the 31st August is a bit of a mystery, unfortunately it pales in comparison to any of their earlier singles and if this really was the best they could come up if it's no wonder the second album was cancelled due to the comparative underperformance of this. But number 16 isn't too bad, indeed I'm surprised to find out that it charted that high as I seemed to come and go without anyone caring. Very much album filler, going through the motions territory, but play Boogie 2nite/Shine/Don't Mess With My Man/Some Kinda Rush and I'll be on the dancefloor in no time. I even bought their first album!

23: JLS - Beat Again

Remember when JLS were a thing? Here's their first single and boy was I underwhelmed, a plodding bit of dull R&B with a video showing off a needlessly convoluted dance-routine, which looked like it had far more effort put into it than the song. But then boybands were pretty rare at the time so JLS were briefly huge by simply having something of a monopoly, fading from grace very soon after One Direction completely stole their thunder a couple years later. I will quietly admit there's a *couple* of JLS songs I think are kinda ok, but I won't tell you what they are tongue.gif

I do at least have a memory of being in Tesco of all places, this playing on the store radio and a small kid in the checkout singing along with *every single word* of the song, so it made an impression on some I suppose.

22: Just Jack - The Day I Died

I always thought this was a bit of a shock comeback for someone who seemed destined for one-hit wonderland with early 2007's 'Starz In Their Eyes'. But it turns out he did actually have two top 20 hits in 2009 and this was his second, the bigger one too at #11.

And as I read the name just now I realised I don't actually have any memory of listening to it, so it's a bit of a revelation as I Spotify it and hear a genuinely clever story-telling song of a fictional tale of someone's last day alive. It's the first real positive discovery I've had from looking back at this chart and may well join my iPod playlist in the future now.

21: Wale feat. Lady Gaga - Chillin

And she's back again and I'd completely forgotten about this, some long-forgotten rapper who got lucky by recruiting the biggest popstar on the planet, getting her to sing a couple of lines in the style of MIA's 'Paper Planes' and then him rapping some bollocks over the top. There's some nice instrumentation in the background but that's about it, and there's no way this would have got anywhere near the UK charts had Gaga not been on it. Not too horrific a listen but nothing special.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Sep 15 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Oh wow, I remember the 2009 chart shows fondly as it was the year I started listening to them...so I'm tempted to join you in commenting on every song! You're always so good at this, Billy biggrin.gif

"Now I'm That Chick"- I think I liked this ironically and was pleased that it just barely managed to enter the chart. This must have been the first of many, many featured appearances for Pitbull laugh.gif I was also happy for U2 to reach top 40 after "Magnificent" missed out, you're right that "Get On Your Boots" was dire!

"LoveGame" was my favorite of Gaga's singles at the time so its #19 peak disappointed me. Thankfully new material was just a few months away!

"Chaka Demus" is effortlessly feel-good, was one of my faves in the top 40. Shame Jamie T hasn't troubled the chart since then. "Red", "When Love Takes Over", "I Know You Want Me", and "Bulletproof" were also 10/10 for me wub.gif

Excited for the rest of this!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 02:43 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
Ha, I thought I'd be the only one awake tongue.gif Thanks for reading!

Was gonna do the rest tomorrow but screw it, here's 20 to 11:

20: Nneka - Heartbeat

I think this charted on the strength of the Chase & Status remix, so that's the one I'm listening to, an 80s rock influenced song that also with its beat could well be called one of (if not the?) first dubstep songs to hit the top 20. Nneka's vocals are brilliant, at first listen it's not immediately grabbing me but it is more on second listen, and it seems that it's another track that's made for massive nightclub speakers rather than Spotify streaming so feel I need to hear it there to properly feel it.

19: Ian Carey Project - Get Shaky

"Electro" dance music I really, really hated with a passion when it first started making it big as it seemed to spell the end of the trance I'd loved for so long. This new kid on the block, dispensing with the impeccably-made melodies and euphoric builds/breakdowns and instead going all weird and minimal was not something I wanted, and this was probably one of the last of its era before the likes of the Swedish House Mafia made things a bit more EDM-influenced the following year. Like a few songs earlier, it reminds me of being really in crap clubs that weren't playing the best music, although I'm enjoying this one a bit more today if still not something I'd call a dance classic.

18: Mr Hudson feat. Kanye West - Supernova

This one's a bit of a guilty pleasure, overloading things on the autotune sound that got well overused around this time and eventually turned into a joke, but I adore that chorus. It doesn't matter that the verses just plod around a bit until it gets there again, it's worth listening to the whole thing just to keep hearing it.

17: Calvin Harris - Ready For The Weekend

He'd had a #1 this year but I still wouldn't have predicted Calvin Harris turning into THE BIGGEST DJ MEGASTAR ON THE PLANET just a couple of years later, although very few of his 2011-present songs I'd genuinely call brilliant as he's yet to release something truly magical like 'Titanium' and seems happy just giving the teenage pop-lovers the usual generic stuff they'll constantly lap up. 'Feel So Close' was alright though.

I really wanted to like this at the time but it always felt like something was missing, ironically in this case it could probably do with that big EDM sound as the production seems really lacking here, wanting to be a big punch-the-air pop anthem but feeling a bit wimpy, despite the big vocals on the chorus. Still miss this underrated, leftfield Calvin compared to the mainstream bollocks he does today though.

16: Sean Kingston - Fire Burning

What a comeback for the singer of 2007's 'Beautiful Girls', joining forces with RedOne and being an early adopter of the EDM sound in its early electro phase before things got a bit more trancey later on. This sounded brilliant back then - I think it just astonished me so much to hear the same guy from Beautiful Girls on such a heavy dance track, although today it just seems to blend into the other 500 million songs that sound identical to this.

15: The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

Another rock track from the dying days of indie and quite a big one, but again I was finished with all this at the time so gave it little attention. Coincidentally it seems to work well as a song signalling the end of the indie phase itself, with its end-of-a-journey sound and "Don't stop til it's over" lyrics. It's a pleasant listen, and perhaps one that I'd enjoy more depending on the mood I'm in.

14: Esmee Denters - Outta Here

More electro dance-pop from a Dutch singer and produced by Justin Timberlake. Esmee had three top 10 hits in the space of a year - this solo one, one featuring Timberlake and the biggest 'Until You Were Gone' featuring Chipmunk - and then since then, nothing. This is ok and Esmee does a good job on the vocals but it's all a bit meh and average, a shrug of a song.

13: Beyonce - Sweet Dreams

God Beyonce annoys me. Sorry to say it as it may horrify some, but I never feel like I'm listening to a genuine popstar, I feel like I'm listening to a brand, the Beyonce Machine with every single beat and every second of every video planned meticulously for maximum attention. Rarely does she release anything that genuinely impresses me, it's very standard American R&B that people fall over with astonishment at while I'm standing bemused at the back. Crazy In Love and Single Ladies are key examples of this.

This is dull, dull, dull, a song that's only big because of who's behind it and not something I'd want to ever deliberately listen to. And yet I'd still say it's up there with her best along with that year's Halo, which says a lot about how much I dislike the rest of her singles. Credit does at least go to 'Love On Top' from a few years later though, definitely my favourite of hers.

12: Tinchy Stryder feat. Amelle - Never Leave You

Any credibility I may have had before now, see ya. I LOVE THIS, the one song Tinchy's done that's any good and it's all down to the killer chorus sung by Amelle, even Tinchy's usually godawful rapping sounding unusually brilliant here. It's cheesy and calling this a "rap" song is almost insulting, but my god is this a guilty pleasure and even one of my fave pop tracks of the year.

11: Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

Eh what? A #1 single in September 2008, a performance on The X Factor at a time when the show was the biggest thing on television - even I watched it back then and I normally can't stand that bollocks - put this right back into the top 10 a whole year after first release, only slipping five places here in the following week and giving it the sales push needed to make it cross past a million sales.

It was and always will be an overrated bit of nonsense, and it's amused me greatly how the Kings themselves have grown to hate this track and been known to give deliberately crap versions of it live - there's a great one from that year's Reading Festival where they look at each other glumly and shake their heads in dismay as they start performing this, all the while as the huge crowd go absolutely crazy as they've waited the best part of an hour just so they can fling their arms in the air and scream "YEEEEAAAHHH MY SEX IS ON FIRE" and then leave and get the last train home. Listening to it now it's hard to even connect to it as I've heard it so much my ears have genuinely learnt to tune themselves out of it, but I will admit that, while it's a dumb as hell song, it provides me with a lot of memories from this time so I'll let it pass. You got lucky, song.

Stay tuned for the top 10, and you're gonna get a video for every song!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 02:51 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
10: Little Boots - Remedy

I do feel sorry for her, as no one seems able to say her name without the words "Whatever happened to..." at the start. The winner of the BBC's Sound of 2009 (beating La Roux and some bird called Lady Gaga) was predicted for megastardom, only to underwhelm everyone with debut single 'New In Town' which sounded disappointingly commercial and Kylie-lite compared to the tracks that had gained her early attention. But, briefly, things seemed to be back on track here with single #2, up there with the best pop of the year. Wonderfully 80s, fantastic melody all the way through and easily one of my songs of the summer, it charted at a respectable #6 and everything looked bright again for the future.

She hasn't had a single top 40 hit since, and this seems destined to be one of those tracks people hear on second-hand Now That's What I Call Music compilations and go "Oh yeah I forgot about this!!", rediscovering the magic all over again. Saying all that, watch me be completely proved wrong by a future Little Boots/One Direction teamup single or something giving her the biggest hit of her career. Or not.

This post has been edited by BillyH: Sep 15 2014, 02:59 AM

+Quote this post
Riser
post Sep 15 2014, 02:56 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Oh yay there's more!!

Sooo much love for "Get Shaky", so I'm disagreeing with you there but I'm with you on "Never Leave You", it's great!

"Remedy" is wonderful too but I've always preferred "New In Town" biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 02:57 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
9: Muse - Uprising

Here's a band I knew little of at the time but in the years since have become one of my faves of all time, discovering all their previous classics I'd initially missed including the brain-blowing tracks on 2001's Origin of Symmetry. But five years ago, this was what introduced me to them, a fabulous Doctor-Who-meets-glam-rock stomper that builds up throughout until exploding at the end with that final singalong chorus.

Now I've heard the rest of Muse's discography, yeah they made way better songs before this. But this is still fantastic and an excellent debut single for the Resistance era, different people have views on when they "lost it" as they shift from their heavy rock routes to synthy pop tracks, but there's gems on each and every one of their albums released to date.

This post has been edited by BillyH: Sep 15 2014, 02:59 AM

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:07 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
8: Sugababes - Get Sexy

So, erm, yeah.

It is possible to enjoy this if you completely forget that this is the Sugababes and imagine it as some exciting new girl group breaking onto the scene, as it's a fun, catchy bit of electro pop that keeps things interesting by digitally messing with the vocals, and some amusement by paraphrasing the 1991 Right Said Fred song that would have gone completely over the head of anyone who doesn't remember it. The "If I had a dime" annoys me as they're not American, but otherwise it's a cool little song.

For Sugababes it's an embarrassment, a group who'd previously stood out of the crowd and releasing noughties classics like Freak Like Me, Push The Button, About You Now etc (actually there's a slow, gradual transition from those three to this) suddenly sell out completely and make exactly the type of music - and sing the type of lyrics - they'd previously shunned. Adding to the fact that Keisha was the only original one left in the group by this point and you have to wonder how she feels about this change in d...oh yeah, she left the group immediately after this. And watching the video, with Amelle very much pushed as the centre 'face' of the group, you have to wonder what Keisha's thinking as she awkwardly sings about how "sexy" she is, perhaps wondering what happened to the days when she, Mutya and Siobhan formed the trio and feeling a bit out of place today.

The new Sugababes (technically the new-new-new Sugababes) limped on for a couple more singles before disappearing after early 2010. Don't remember them this way.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
7: Mini Viva - Left My Heart In Tokyo

No top 10 is complete without a one-hit wonder, this was meant to be Xenomania's Next Big Thing after Girls Aloud went on their break. This was their one and only big hit single, weirdly also doing well in Finland of all places but saw a sudden and rather unfair loss of interest when they returned with their next.

It's an ok pop track, but it always seems odd listening to it for me as the mix I used to play all the time was the retro Pete Hammond one which I adored, to the point where I still think of it as the proper mix when it only appeared as a bonus track on iTunes + the CD single (still struggling on through 2009). It does seem a shame - they sound great, they have a distinctive look and could have easily lasted a few more songs.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:21 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
6: Dizzee Rascal - Holiday

Much has been written about Dizzee Rascal's descent from groundbreaking credible grime musician to mainstream cheesy pop star to something of a joke, this sees him at his commercial peak but long past his critical.

'Dance Wiv Me' disappointed me but 'Bonkers' and this I both really enjoyed, this one in particular produced by Calvin Harris and I remember first hearing it sung live when I saw him perform that summer. While first hearing a pleasant enough dance-pop track, the moment it really hooked me was that final minute. MY GOD THAT FINAL MINUTE. Out of nowhere it turns into a pounding, instrumental electro-trance masterpiece, something that could have easily have been ruined by other rappers insisting they carry on over the top of it ("Yeah! Let's go!" etc), Dizzee makes one of the wisest choices of his career and shuts up for it, leaving Calvin to work his magic uninterrupted. It really, really impressed me at the time and I still love it today.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Sep 15 2014, 03:30 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Looks like we're on the same wavelength with Muse! My brother played their music constantly so I knew it well, but never cared for them until I heard the Resistance album. "Undisclosed Desires" and "Resistance" were great singles and deserved much better peaks. And I agree with that last minute of "Holiday" by Dizzee, would absolutely lose it when it got to that part!

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:33 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
5: Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

So picture the scene.

It's near the end of an alcohol-filled birthday night out with friends in the summer of 2009, and we're partying away in a small club somewhere in North London. The DJ decides to take a bit of a risk and play that new Black Eyed Peas song that's coming out, and I hear the song in full for the very first time. For the next five glorious minutes, it sounds like the greatest thing in the entire world. They're singing about us! About this night!! It's a moment I will always remember and my god was I in love with that song from then on.

Listening to it at home (having sobered up) shortly after, I realised, actually, it was a bit of a letdown after Boom Boom Pow, wasn't it? Much safer, much more commercial, a bit too simplistic in its quest to appeal to youthful partygoers. But it didn't stop me dancing to it in every club at every opportunity, and this track got so big that DJs would deliberately tease crowds by playing a couple of the opening bars only to play a different song instead, increasing the anticipation until finally unleashing it at least twice in the space of one evening. And, despite being a summer hit, it got played (and played) all over again all through that year's Christmas and New Year parties, even recharting in January's iTunes Gift Card effect.

By the summer of 2010 I'm over it. In a pub, a corner of the room is given over to someone's 30th birthday party and I see a lot of 'old' people (gimme a break, I was 21) badly dancing to it out of time. By 2012 it was a dangerous thing for any DJ to play this as half the dancefloor would leave in disgust, sick of the song they were by then. It's gonna take a few more years before I Gotta Feeling becomes something of nostalgia and time passes enough for it to become an enjoyable experience again, but you seriously cannot underestimate the sheer power this song had for the best part of a year after its initial release. And secretly? I still have a soft spot for it, as brutally as the overplaying killed it.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:37 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
4: Mika - We Are Golden

As La Roux was to 2009 and Alphabeat to 2008, I was obsessed with Mika all through 2007 and eagerly awaited his return. And it seemed like it had been a glorious success as he peaked at #4 with this comeback single...but then that was it. He's done well overseas but the UK was finished with him after this.

Why? Maybe the novelty of his rapidly pitch-shifting voice wore off. Maybe this just sounded too dated and last-album in this new Age of Gaga. I still can't quite decide if I love or hate this, on some days it sounds brilliant and on others bits of it keep annoying me - the whispering, the shouting kids choir, etc. And that video? What the hell was he thinking?

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:42 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
3: Jay-Z feat Rihanna & Kanye West - Run This Town

Nah. Didn't like it at the time, don't like it now. Tuneless, dull R&B on an album that's filled with way better tracks than this - On To The Next One, Young Forever, Empire State of Mind for god's sake, all of those I loved but this gets to #1 above all of them? Was it just rabid Rihanna and Kanye fans snapping it up on first release?

But yeah, Empire State of Mind, that was the big defining end-of-2009 tune for me.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
2: David Guetta feat. Akon - Sexy Chick

Ladies and gentlemen, the 2010s, four months early. This was the start of the hit-the-same-few-synth-buttons-over-and-over-again dance craze that continues to this very day, and it's not one I liked at the time - I think it just confused me that a rapper was on a dance track, and the song sounded a bit of a slightly sleazy mess. What really grew me to like it was hearing it in clubs, when that synth lead in the chorus sounded brutally hard to the point where it echoed through you. Coupled with that insistent beat, turn it up loud and you'll realise why Guetta's a bit of a genius deep down.

Could still do without Akon rapping bollocks over the top but it's still a powerful bit of dance pop, 'Titanium' totally blows this out of the water though although that's a few years away.

+Quote this post
BillyH
post Sep 15 2014, 03:59 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
AND THE NUMBER ONE IS....!

Oh what.

1. PIXIE LOTT - BOYS & GIRLS

Ok, it's a fun pop track, I'll give it that and not the worst #1 of the year. But a bit of a letdown after many of the songs we've had in the top 40 so far, I'd forgotten this was ever a #1 in the first place. I did like 'Mama Do' at the time and really liked follow-up to this 'Cry Me Out', and was oddly impressed by her at 2010's V Festival where she sung a mad medley of a ton of then-current chart hits leading to the bizarrely brilliant moment when she started covering Tinie Tempah's 'Pass Out'.
But this one's...it's ok. It's not a bad song. It's not mindblowing chart awesomeness. It's....it's a shrug but one with a half-smile. The perfect 5 out of 10.

As a final treat here's the full top 75 as posted on Buzzjack at the time. Thanks for reading and it's stupidly late so it's off to slumber for me tongue.gif

1 73 2 Pixie Lott Boys And Girls
2 3 5 David Guetta feat. Akon Sexy Chick*
3 1 2 Jay-Z feat. Rihanna & Kanye West Run This Town*
4 N 1 Mika We Are Golden
5 5 13 Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling
6 4 3 Dizzee Rascal Feat. Chrome Holiday
7 N 1 Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo
8 2 2 Sugababes Get Sexy
9 N 1 Muse Uprising
10 7 7 Little Boots Remedy
11 6 51 Kings of Leon Sex On Fire
12 8 6 Tinchy Stryder feat. Amelle Never Leave You
13 9 10 Beyonce Sweet Dreams
14 10 4 Esmee Denters Outta Here
15 29 6 The Temper Trap Sweet Disposition
16 13 8 Sean Kingston Fire Burning
17 11 5 Calvin Harris Ready For The Weekend
18 14 8 Mr Hudson feat. Kanye West Supernova*
19 18 6 The Ian Carey Project Get Shaky
20 20 3 Nneka Heartbeat*
21 12 2 Wale feat. Lady Gaga Chillin
22 15 4 Just Jack The Day I Died*
23 17 9 JLS Beat Again
24 16 2 Booty Luv Say It
25 N 1 Shakira She Wolf*
26 19 7 Lily Allen 22
27 51 40 Jason Mraz I'm Yours
28 22 12 La Roux Bulletproof
29 31 5 Lady Gaga Lovegame*
30 26 20 Lady Gaga Paparazzi
31 21 12 Pitbull I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
32 N 1 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
33 23 2 Jamie T Chaka Demus
34 25 5 Jeremih Birthday Sex*
35 28 14 David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland When Love Takes Over
36 27 11 Cascada Evacuate The Dancefloor
37 33 18 Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow
38 24 3 Biffy Clyro That Golden Rule
39 34 17 Daniel Merriweather Red
40 N 1 Livvi Franc Feat. PitbullNow I'm That Chick*
41 35 14 Noisettes Never Forget You*
42 N 1 You Me At Six Kiss And Tell
43 59 5 Pitbull Hotel Room Service*
44 N 1 Bananarama Love Comes
45 41 35 Lady Gaga Poker Face
46 40 14 Pixie Lott Mama Do
47 32 7 Flo-Rida feat. Nelly Furtado Jump
48 30 2 Friendly Fires Kiss Of Life*
49 37 17 Dizzee Rascal Feat. Armand Van HeldenBonkers
50 36 50 Kings of Leon Use Somebody
51 45 26 La Roux In For The Kill
52 N 2 Mariah Carey Obsessed*
53 42 17 Keri Hilson feat Kanye West & Ne-Yo Knock You Down
54 48 12 Florence & The MachineRabbit Heart (Raise It Up)
55 39 14 Jordin Sparks Battlefield
56 52 15 Kasabian Fire
57 R 8 Jamie T Sticks n Stones
58 R 1 Jennifer Hudson And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going
59 47 21 Tinchy Stryder feat. N-Dubz Number 1
60 58 7 Taylor Swift You Belong With Me*
61 50 9 Chicane Poppiholla
62 61 5 Keri Hilson Energy*
63 55 16 Agnes Release Me
64 N 1 Deadmau5 Feat. Rob Swire Ghosts 'n' Stuff*
65 54 10 Chipmunk Feat. Emeli Sande Diamond Rings
66 N 2 Kelly Clarkson Already Gone*
67 57 23 Calvin Harris I'm Not Alone
68 53 16 The Veronicas Untouched*
69 56 15 Pussycat Dolls Hush Hush*
70 66 13 Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror*
71 N 1 4 Strings Take Me Away*
72 60 9 30H!3 Don't Trust Me
73 38 2 The Prodigy Take Me To The Hospital
74 44 5 Bloc Party One More Chance
75 49 5 Peter Andre Behind Closed Doors*

* Downloads Only

+Quote this post
Riser
post Sep 15 2014, 04:12 AM
Post #17
Group icon
I'd say "Run This Town" and "Boys & Girls" are both brilliant laugh.gif Rihanna's comeback was hugely anticipated which may have worked in Jay-Z's favor there. "Empire State Of Mind" was definitely better though, and its quick ascent to #2 in just a few weeks time was impressive even if it never reached the top. As for Pixie, it's just so catchy tongue.gif Excellent reviews Billy, and all in one night! I don't know how you do it ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Sep 15 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #18
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Yes Billy, I loved reading every single review here, even the songs I didn't know.

Do you have plans to any more?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Sep 15 2014, 04:27 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
Enjoyed and agreed with much of your rundown ta!:)

+Quote this post
Mark.
post Nov 22 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928
Excellent review, hard to believe 2009 was 5 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

This post has been edited by Musicmaster: Nov 22 2014, 04:11 PM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:49 PM