BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HeForShe Campaign, & feminism in general...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Sep 22 2014, 05:48 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Emma Watson last night helped to forward this campaign. I urge people to watch her speech, because it's so eloquently put and deals with a lot. In short she talks about how feminism is often seen as "men hating" and how feminism as a term has become a negative thing for people.

She reveals how she was deemed "bossy" at the age of 8 for wanting to direct school plays and how at the age of 15, girls dropped out of school sports because they did not want to be "muscly".

She calls for men to play a greater role in gender equality, so i guess the point of this is, how do you associate with feminism? Do you see it as a backwards stance or do you side with Emma and the strive for men and boys to get involved with feminist movements?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Sep 22 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #2
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Finally, someone discussing feminism that actually knows what it means. I'm all for gender equality. As a teacher, I've found myself worrying about some of the teenage girls at our school. One year group in particular has some characters seem overly obsessed with the boys and actually try to come off as ignorant and loud in order to gain their attention. I had a long chat with a couple of girls in the year group,the other day who were tired of girls who act this way. It seems entirely influenced by the boys in their life and this is why I feel men need to support this (and better themselves whilst they're at it.

Women shouldn't feel nerdy for reading a book. They shouldn't be discouraged from sports or believe that they're only function is to please men.

Another thing that irks me is popstars stripping off and throwing the feminism label on it.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Sep 22 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #3
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,421

What a brilliant speech. I think the main problem is the misconception of the definition of feminism, both by men and some of the women 'fighting for equality'. And it's really great that someone as prominent as Emma Watson (to the teen world) can be given this opportunity to influence as many people.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Sep 22 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #4
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not a fan of what modern day feminism has become, I'm talking radical 'all men are evil/rapists' type feminism. Gender equality should obviously be encouraged but some feminists aren't going about it in the right way. I wouldn't label myself as a feminist anyway

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 22 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

QUOTE(T Boy @ Sep 22 2014, 07:31 PM) *
Finally, someone discussing feminism that actually knows what it means. I'm all for gender equality. As a teacher, I've found myself worrying about some of the teenage girls at our school. One year group in particular has some characters seem overly obsessed with the boys and actually try to come off as ignorant and loud in order to gain their attention. I had a long chat with a couple of girls in the year group,the other day who were tired of girls who act this way. It seems entirely influenced by the boys in their life and this is why I feel men need to support this (and better themselves whilst they're at it.

Women shouldn't feel nerdy for reading a book. They shouldn't be discouraged from sports or believe that they're only function is to please men.

Another thing that irks me is popstars stripping off and throwing the feminism label on it.

Interesting to hear that, and the fact that some girls are wary of how other girls act to get attention and actually vocalise it to a teacher. Completely agree with the second paragraph too, just like males shouldn't feel geeky for loving video games or effeminate if they dance etc.

QUOTE(Kl▲mzee @ Sep 22 2014, 07:56 PM) *
What a brilliant speech. I think the main problem is the misconception of the definition of feminism, both by men and some of the women 'fighting for equality'. And it's really great that someone as prominent as Emma Watson (to the teen world) can be given this opportunity to influence as many people.

Indeed. The whole speech was so well done, and her professionalism will hopefully reach out and speak to people that need to listen. I'm already seeing it spreading like wildfire across social media so that's a start!

QUOTE(Therm• @ Sep 22 2014, 08:24 PM) *
I'm not a fan of what modern day feminism has become, I'm talking radical 'all men are evil/rapists' type feminism. Gender equality should obviously be encouraged but some feminists aren't going about it in the right way. I wouldn't label myself as a feminist anyway

I think that's part of the issue though. Feminists that are all "men are evil/rapists" aren't feminists, because that's not what feminism is about.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 22 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #6
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I had to faceplam yesterday, I saw something Little Mix had said about not being feminists because they "don't hate men" drama.gif That's exactly the problem, people think the feminist movement solely consists of radical Germaine Greer types without realising most feminists just hope for equality - something everyone should do really. Strong female role models like Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence are what feminism needs, not people assuming hating men is the foundation of feminism. She is so right on the male side of things too, there's too much of that in society too. Nobody should be stereotyped because of gender, ever. Everyone is individual and different, everyone has a variety of interests and characteristics that should be able to be totally independent from their biological sex and what's expected because of it.

Radical feminists kind of strip feminism of what it's about because they want to overthrow patriarchy, not achieve equality. But that's another story laugh.gif

(These kind of topics really bring out my inner sociologist <3)

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Sep 22 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(Liаm @ Sep 22 2014, 08:50 PM) *
I had to faceplam yesterday, I saw something Little Mix had said about not being feminists because they "don't hate men" drama.gif That's exactly the problem,

Shailene Woodley, from Fault in Stars and Divergent, who I really like said exactly the same thing. *facepalm*

I watched this this morning, and it's a rare feeling to feel proud of somebody you don't know. But the speech was fantastic.

I already agreed with everything she said about feminism, these ideas just need to be pushed onto the mainstream a bit more because so many people to get the idea of feminism mixed up and think it is 'man-hating'.

I also liked that she brought the man's role into it. I really agree that there is too much of 'what makes a man, a man.' in society. People think you *have* to be masculine to be a man.

Glad it's going viral. Good to see such a young, strong female role model that younger Harry Potter fans will listen to.

This post has been edited by Joe.: Sep 22 2014, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post
G𝓪𝓻y
post Sep 22 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #8
All Eyes On Me When I Walk In, No Question That This Guys A 10
Member No.: 277

Emma Watson is literally the most amazing person the planet. That speech is just WIN.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 22 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #9
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Nobody should be stereotyped because of gender, ever. Everyone is individual and different, everyone has a variety of interests and characteristics that should be able to be totally independent from their biological sex and what's expected because of it.

Radical feminists kind of strip feminism of what it's about because they want to overthrow patriarchy, not achieve equality. But that's another story laugh.gif

Overthrowing the patriarchy IS achieving equality. Destroying patriarchy is essentially everything in the first sentence I've quoted here, it isn't the same thing as destroying men or thinking they're all rapists - it's about dismantling gender roles. So many people misunderstand what radical feminism is about - only the most radical of feminists (the likes of that vile person Andrea Dworkin) have an issue with men by virtue of their being men.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 23 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #10
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

I had to faceplam yesterday, I saw something Little Mix had said about not being feminists because they "don't hate men" drama.gif That's exactly the problem, people think the feminist movement solely consists of radical Germaine Greer types without realising most feminists just hope for equality - something everyone should do really. Strong female role models like Emma Watson and Jennifer Lawrence are what feminism needs, not people assuming hating men is the foundation of feminism. She is so right on the male side of things too, there's too much of that in society too. Nobody should be stereotyped because of gender, ever. Everyone is individual and different, everyone has a variety of interests and characteristics that should be able to be totally independent from their biological sex and what's expected because of it.

(These kind of topics really bring out my inner sociologist <3)

This.

I do think though when high profile individuals such as Emma Watson talk about issues, it does stir up a storm which all attention is good attention!

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Sep 24 2014, 08:42 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

It's great seeing lots of high profile male celebrities coming out as feminists and supporting the #HeforShe campaign now. I've seen tweets with pictures from Tom Hiddleston, Simon Pegg, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Douglas Booth (swoon), Logan Lerman and Chris Colfer.

I hope the stigma around the word 'feminist' can soon be removed and people can start seeing it as a positive thing again.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:20 AM