BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The death of the BOOK and "bookless libraries", some of us just like to read
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Sep 23 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

This was actually a discussion i was having in the library last week with my course mates... The end of the BOOK. We've seen a move away from CDs to digital albums, and we're seeing a rise in Kindles and goodness knows what else as a means of storing books, so could this be the beginning of the end of the beloved book, or as i tried to argue, are books too sacred and important to ever stop being produced or unused??

It's more prominent now, with this development: Florida Polytechnic University are opening the first ever bookless library mellow.gif It houses not a single book, and instead everything is stored digitally. How do we feel about this? Will future generations miss out on the smell of fresh books, or the joy of turning actual PAGES!? Do we have kindle converts among us here? ohmy.gif

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/...gital?CMP=fb_gu

Gah the very thought makes me terrified. Is this a positive step forwards or a glimpse into a very, very scary future?

sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 23 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

Also tied into this, one of my lecturers was telling us of how a child in Reception on his first day was observed in the book corner as he tried to SWIPE across the pages of the book, thinking it worked like some sort of smartphone!? mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Luciano
post Sep 23 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 96

I personally CAN'T read a book on my laptop or e-books. I need to have the physical book on my hands to enjoy it. It might be psicological or the fact that I'm very nostalgic, but that's the way I like to read my stories.

Even when I do scientific research I rather have the physical Pharmacopeia or Martindale than looking for science papers online.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 23 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #4
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I think Books are slightly different from CDs in that book lovers are generally more likely to cling on to the physical aspect of reading more than music lovers. Part of me does think, however, that if it gets more people reading then I don't mind the increased digitisation of books so much. I will still never make the switch unless I absolutely have to though!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 23 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #5
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Physical books won't ever, ever die out (unless Kindles become very cheap, and even then you'd still have traditionalists).

It's a little different to music in that music always requires you to have a client to play it on (CD player, mp3 player/computer), so you could never buy a one off song and just listen to it in itself as you can with a book - you need something to play it on. The idea of needing to buy a client to read a book on will put people off who aren't regular readers when they can just buy a book whenever it takes their fancy - not to mention that digital books are limited in their appeal if you don't have a Kindle/similar eReader, as reading extensively on a screen is pretty unappealing if it isn't done like Kindles are to reduce eye strain.

I can see a lot of books in future being only available in eBook form (mainly ones which don't have the demand for big print runs) though.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 23 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #6
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I personally find it difficult to read things off of a kindle, ipad or whatever... It might just be becsuse I read a lot and it's always physically so that's just what I'm used to but it just never ever feels right to me. I think digital books might really start to rise in a big way like mp3s did (they seem to be already doing well) but they won't eclipse books in the same way digital singles eclipsed physical singles for example. Like Lex, I very much doubt I'll switch unless it becomes something that's necessary because hardly any books are being printed.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 23 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Plus, I think the rise of e-books will (and probably already has) lead to more authors being able to self publish their work, say, exclusively in a digital format before a print run if the demand/response is high enough. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's basically what happened with 50 Shades Of Grey.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 23 2014, 10:56 PM
Post #8
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

I can see why someone would find it hard to read off a screen but I don't get why someone would find it hard to read off a non-LED Kindle. It LOOKS like a page!

+Quote Post
Noahspike
post Sep 23 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #9
There's a frisbee in my brunch
Member No.: 19,860
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 23 2014, 11:30 PM) *
Also tied into this, one of my lecturers was telling us of how a child in Reception on his first day was observed in the book corner as he tried to SWIPE across the pages of the book, thinking it worked like some sort of smartphone!? mellow.gif

wacko.gif

I also saw a toddler swiping at a magazine in a similar way. And another one swiping at the window when the bus he was on stopped moving.

EDIT: I should clarify the second one was right after he was playing with a tablet.

This post has been edited by Noahspike: Sep 23 2014, 11:03 PM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 23 2014, 10:59 PM
Post #10
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Cassandra @ Sep 23 2014, 11:56 PM) *
I can see why someone would find it hard to read off a screen but I don't get why someone would find it hard to read off a non-LED Kindle. It LOOKS like a page!

But it doesn't FEEL like one. Part of the enjoyment of reading is because of how tactile it is. The smell, the colours, everything.

Especially for children too, the ability to quickly flick to an earlier page, or look at the cover again to remind them what the characters look like or to the blurb to see the author's face, or the fact that certain pages might be more worn out because that's their favourite part of the book - you do not get that unless you have an actual book. I realise most of this is sentimental mumbojumbo, but it really matters!

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Sep 23 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The concept of the 'book' will never die and will only continue to thrive. A benefit of Kindles and online reading is it can make stories that never quite made it to physical form widely accessible, I think this is quite good for new writers, particularly the Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing Scheme, It's definitely great for word of mouth and all etc. (Beaten to it blah but point still stands)

I do own a kindle myself, and I will admit that I do find it very useful in various ways such as cheapness, books for study so your shelf isn't overfilled, saving trees etc. and they will only increase in popularity, but I would never convert completely and I will always love the feeling of holding a book (not necessarily the smell though, don't really get why people go mad over that). In particular, looking at the cover, reading a blurb on the back, flicking through to see how many pages you have left etc. (I didn't ask for it, it was a Christmas present ph34r.gif )

I don't believe the physical book will ever die though as it's so traditional and easy to buy and read a book than go out and buy an album, when it's just so widely available, both illegally and legally, around you to the point that you don't have to leave your chair at home before you can listen. Books are also far too much of an establishment in the modern world for them to die, indeed on my Creative Writing undergrad course, I'd say when we had to bring our books in, the vast, vast majority had the physical book, some of which had strong views against the kindle!

It's been so long since I've seen someone on the tube reading an actual book rather than a kindle sad.gif

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Sep 23 2014, 11:17 PM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Sep 24 2014, 12:40 AM
Post #12
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I think the format will die out eventually, but it will be 20-30 years yet. It will be interesting to see how public libraries adapt to this.

I'm currently reading my first ever book on my iPad, and what's great about it is that ease of transporting. It's less clunkier, you don't lose you page (yes I know there are bookmarks...) etc. It's really good when you're travelling/on holiday as one device can hold all these different books, instead of having to carry about several! It's just similar to how I expect newspapers to end up. It's sad because it's something we've all grown up with, but the cost demands etc. just inevitably means that the demand will die out so that it's not profitable anymore.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 24 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #13
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

I feel like it will be our grand children's generation that almost completely wipes out the concept of a book. It is inevitable, tbh. We see it as almost impossible because it is basically a way of life, for most of us.

I mean, just look at the decline in the past decade...

This post has been edited by Tyler~: Sep 24 2014, 03:16 AM

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Sep 24 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #14
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

Books are like Madonna. They'll always be around, they're less popular now, but kids just TAKE A WHILE to realise why they should appreciate.

And lest we forget, Madonna is ALWAYS RELEVANT!

+Quote Post
Harve
post Sep 24 2014, 01:44 AM
Post #15
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Sep 23 2014, 10:30 PM) *

First time in my life I feel properly old.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Sep 24 2014, 02:47 AM
Post #16
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

QUOTE(Cassandra @ Sep 24 2014, 01:42 AM) *
I can see a lot of books in future being only available in eBook form (mainly ones which don't have the demand for big print runs) though.

There are already ebook-only releases I think, mainly independent ones.

I switched to Kindle exactly a year ago, but I still like to read physical books every now and then, as at times it feels like I'm reading the same thing over and over again and gets a little tiring. It's funny, but the thing I miss the most is the page numbering, much prefer it to percentages. Other than that, Kindle is my new best friend.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 24 2014, 03:05 AM
Post #17
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(Cassandra @ Sep 23 2014, 09:42 PM) *
Books are like Madonna. They'll always be around, they're less popular now, but kids just TAKE A WHILE to realise why they should appreciate.

And lest we forget, Madonna is ALWAYS RELEVANT!

What books would you consider to be MDNA's then? I want to say Twilight, but that was an unfortunate best seller.

Perhaps Paula Abdul's autobiography?

+Quote Post
Coral5
post Sep 24 2014, 06:17 AM
Post #18
PTTP
Group: Banned
Member No.: 16,865
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Luciano @ Sep 24 2014, 02:32 AM) *
I personally CAN'T read a book on my laptop or e-books. I need to have the physical book on my hands to enjoy it.

This. I have the same opinion about music, movies, videogames e.t.c.

This post has been edited by AlexRange: Sep 24 2014, 06:18 AM

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Sep 24 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I've just written a feature about this for the magazine I work on, PrintWeek!

The book decline has actually hit a plateau now, the majority of people that want an e-reader now have one as sales of those have slowed dramatically recently. Quite a few experts I spoke to said that the market should more or less stay as it is going forwards as there will always be a large percentage of the population - me included - that would rather have the physical experience of a book (or magazine - iPad editions still have a surprisingly low uptake!)

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Sep 24 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #20
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Rooney @ Sep 24 2014, 01:40 AM) *
I think the format will die out eventually, but it will be 20-30 years yet. It will be interesting to see how public libraries adapt to this.

No way will it be as soon as 20-30 years, if ever! When i discussed it initially we were thinking more 100+ years :0 this was while seated in one of the most established libraries in the country (which is undergoing work to actually EXPAND).

And Rich bearing good news with those stats! There are some people that just won't make the switch. Books (in some form or another) have been around since we started writing as a race as opposed to a new invention and so I can never really see them being seem as "retro" like the vinyl etc.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:45 AM