BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Deliver Us from Evil, Inspired by the actual accounts of an NYPD sergeant
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Sep 30 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Deliver Us from Evil" is an American horror movie that came out in my country's cinema two weeks ago! The producers promoted this story with a very good publicity stunt (very common in recent years). The official trailer informed us that it was inspired by the personal testimony of police officer Ralph Sarchie when performing duties in New York. During a specific time, he faced a series of unexplained phenomena which affected him so much that rediscovered his faith. His acquaintance with an "alternative priest" was decisive for the future course of his life after he resigned from the police force and focused on the demonic possession.
"Deliver Us from Evil" was not great but not bad as others have estimated previously (I mean critics). It had some positive and some negative reviews. The fact that I watched it in one of the best cinema halls in my city played an important role too. It had atmospheric visual effects and scary sound effects that caused you to be afraid whenever the scene changed quickly. The action and the plot kept our interest although at times it tended to be parody and the viewers laughed a lot. Some dialogues were quite "enlightening" (especially for those who are fascinated by the unexplained) and the performances of the main actors/actresses were for the most part convincing. Eric Bana was the best choice for the lead role although production originally wanted Mark Wahlberg. He respected his character although there were some moments that the screenwriters wanted us to believe the opposite (quotes like in "Scary Movie"). Admittedly, the fact that the possessed behave more as vampire, it wasn't a good thing too. Scott Derrickson not only directed the film but also wrote the script with Paul Harris Boardman (Devil's Knot). The two had worked together before writing the script for "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", which was one of the most profitable films in 2005 (compared to budget-total earnings). The wealthy and famous producer Jerry Bruckheimer financed their new venture believing that it will have the same success.
"Deliver Us from Evil" had a relatively low budget ($30.000.000) although compared to other horror films, it has a respectable amount available for its completion. I wouldn't say that it had the best possible earnings at the Box Office only after reaching the money spent on budget. However, it was released in many countries worldwide and it has received around $80.000.00. It's not one of the best horror films that I've ever watched at the cinema but it was quite scary in some parts. I'm sure that the director could have a better result if he excluded all the funny stuff and the vampire performances of the possessed.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Sep 30 2014, 10:42 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:40 PM