BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Musicians or Celebrities?, why not both?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klampus
post Oct 1 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

DJ Fresh has recently spoken to Digital Spy about working with Tinie Tempah and he talks a lot about a difference between music artists ie there are those that want to be musicians and those that prefer the celeb lifestyle to creating music.

"I think some people kind of put that to the back of what's important to them. Some artists are much more focused on being big public celebrities than they are on actually making their music.

"I guess for me and Tinie we're both focused on our music, it's great when that's the case and you can get the opportunity to not have those issues with record labels, and all the stuff that shouldn't really affect music."

When asked to elaborate on the kind of artist more focused on being "public celebrities", DJ Fresh said: "I guess someone like Rita Ora. Obviously I've worked with her but I think that's a different sort of artist.

"It's somebody who's kind of doing film and fashion shoots and is much more diversified and not so focused on being an artist. Then you get people like Jack White who's completely the opposite. Different strokes for different folks."

Do you think this is true? Are there any names that immediately spring to mind when talking about those preferring the celeb lifestyle? Is he right to pick out Rita Ora as one of these? Should it even matter if people aren't as concerned about the music?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Oct 1 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I do think that there are artists out there who are far less concerned about the music they are producing and much prefer the concept of being a celebrity and I would definitely agree that Rita Ora is one of the biggest artists who represent this.

About whether it should matter, obviously I don't think that just because you're an artist, you can't enjoy the celebrity lifestyle but I guess you should still be extremely passionate about the music who are putting out there. I think one of the main reasons I'm not so keen on Rita Ora is that the music does feel more like a side project or something that she's doing to keep her name out there and she is more focused on being a celebrity.

I suppose it starts to become more of a criticism on the whole celebrity culture as this is definitely something I'm not keen on. imo people's desires shouldn't be to become famous but that's another discussion altogether.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Oct 2 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

This raises a few interesting points.

The big one that comes to my mind is Sia. Someone who is so adamantly against being a celebrity that she acts out & tries to hide away from it, when in doing so she is thrust into the spotlight because of her techniques. She's obviously a clever woman and so i don't just see it as her foolishly trying to hide away from the celebrity culture, but more her expressing her views on it through her performances/head gear etc. Then you get someone like FKA Twigs who is very much about the music, but seems to inadvertly enter the celebrity sphere by dating Robert Pattinson (and obviously is in the media now because of the horrid, racist attacks on her because of this :/).

Someone like Gaga who also claims to be all about the music, but is at the same time deeply driven to also being in the spotlight is an extreme example of getting both worlds. Most stars around now want that middle ground, but some push it to its limits, and again like Sia test the waters in doing so. I think it's unfair to label and critique Rita Ora the way she almost has been by DJ Fresh. I'd say that should be reserved for someone like Katie Price, who is a celebrity first and foremost, deciding to release music, when clearly it's to get back into the spotlight and not "for the music".

I also don't see musicians wanting to be "celebrities" as a bad thing either - it's part and parcel in this rapid digital age and in order to keep up you almost have to be in the public eye or you're forgotten in favour of the next big thing. It's also FUN to see stars away from music videos and we're pretty much all interested in what at least one or two or ALL artists get up to behind closed doors i would have thought, which is why we follow them on Twitter, read certain sections of the paper, check for updates on websites etc.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Oct 2 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #4
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

If Gaga ever said she was all about the music, I hope whoever she said it to her laughed in her face. What the hell do Haus of Gaga do? Play the kazoo?

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Oct 2 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #5
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I'd say most of One Direction apply to this and Jesy from little mix

+Quote Post
dancember
post Oct 2 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #6
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I know I'm offending half of buzzjack when I say this but I think The Saturdays are the perfect example of musicians more focused on being big celebrities than making music. I do prefer it when an artist's main priority is the music but as long as it's good quality idc

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 2 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I think it's down to creativity. Acts that are creative can market it however they want (and that can include creative visually or in concert as well as musically) and I don't have a problem with it. The packaged pop star who relies on others creativity are the more disposable pop stars, unless they have some vocal interpretive skills, performance skills (which is still creative) and really are at the mercy of record producers and songwriters who do it for them. I loved Girls Aloud records, but that was more because I eventually came to appreciate just how good Xenomania were. The Saturdays have never had that sort of consistency of quality control, so are a bit more hit and miss depending on who they work with.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Oct 2 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #8
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

QUOTE(The Days @ Oct 2 2014, 10:13 PM) *
I know I'm offending half of buzzjack when I say this but I think The Saturdays are the perfect example of musicians more focused on being big celebrities than making music. I do prefer it when an artist's main priority is the music but as long as it's good quality idc

But the Saturdays' output has been amazing, excluding a few 'Living for the Weekend' album tracks. I think people just wrongly assume that they're not trying hard enough, because they don't sell albums.

+Quote Post
April
post Oct 2 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #9
changed the game with that digital drop
Member No.: 11,905

QUOTE(AntoineTTe @ Oct 2 2014, 07:45 PM) *
If Gaga ever said she was all about the music, I hope whoever she said it to her laughed in her face. What the hell do Haus of Gaga do? Play the kazoo?

She clearly is about the music since she co-wrote and co-produced her own album and then released a jazz album because it's her favourite type of music. You wouldn't get "celebrities" like Rihanna and Katy Perry ever doing this because they're all about the hits to keep up their celeb status. Gaga's having fun making the music she wants.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Oct 2 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #10
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think with an act like The Saturdays, whilst they love music and performing they need to grab all the endorsement deals they can get as that is how they earn any real money.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Oct 2 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #11
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(April @ Oct 2 2014, 09:05 PM) *
She clearly is about the music since she co-wrote and co-produced her own album and then released a jazz album because it's her favourite type of music. You wouldn't get "celebrities" like Rihanna and Katy Perry ever doing this because they're all about the hits to keep up their celeb status. Gaga's having fun making the music she wants.

There's no point in countering a point I didn't make. I didn't say she wasn't about the music. I said she wasn't ALL about the music.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 2 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #12
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(mr_aly @ Oct 2 2014, 09:07 PM) *
I think with an act like The Saturdays, whilst they love music and performing they need to grab all the endorsement deals they can get as that is how they earn any real money.

This. When you're a rent-a-popstar, the actual money you get from recording music that somebody else wrote is very little unless you get a big hit. All the money comes from tours, merchandise etc.

Anyway, when you're a popstar you're a celebrity? This is what I don't get. People have an interest in you, but it's easy to avoid the limelight if you don't search for it. I do think DJ Fresh makes some good points, but I don't think he means it in a bad way. Just that she's focused on raising her profile, rather than actually recording and putting out music. She's always appearing in magazine shoots, films.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Oct 2 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #13
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'd definitely say some of the biggest popstars are far more about promoting their brand to ensure they have as many people interested in them as possible, and will sell loads upon releasing anything, even if it is sub-par music, sold to appease lowest common denominators and demographics that buy more music.

Lots of that may be their managers and marketing team influencing it, but I doubt many of these manufactured artists themselves really mind the trappings of fame, this can't and won't apply to all popstars, but I'm sure for quite a few it's why they started making music in the first place, to get a big break and get into that celebrity lifestyle which is so attractive to so many people. I'm sure loads of people see the music industry as the easiest way of getting your foot in the door. That isn't necessarily bad but it's a vicious cycle that's very common in pop music. FKA Twigs is an interesting exception as it doesn't seem like she was in it for the celebrity but she's gotten caught up in it quite easily (although that's more for dating someone else famous).

There's no way to say it without sounding like a hipster but it does seem to affect the music for me. You can tell when care has been put into music, and often that comes from debuts that a musician has spent much of their time working on before entering the celebrity world, or from bands and artists that don't spend their time doing loads of miscellaneous celebrity ventures in order to fill out gossip magazines. It's a different way of approaching your music career (though of course it's not new) and the music has a good chance of suffering as labels demand an inevitably rushed new album within a mere year of the last one so that your career doesn't disappear to make way for the next big thing.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Oct 2 2014, 09:23 PM
Post #14
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It can, I think, mainly show in the music itself when an artist is more committed to the music than celebrity status. By in large, the more formulaic songs that latch on to a current sound or come from a producer famous for writing hits and aren't, in a way, seeming especially unique as a song to that act come from acts that have built a big enough reputation or are well known in the world of celebrity that their name will sell it regardless. These type of artists tend to look for songs that will be successful rather than be seen as great songs/critics favourites. Cheryl Cole is the biggest one that comes to mind for me when thinking of this, not that it's a bad thing. it's just the type of artist she is.

Strictly speaking, I think 'musician' and 'celebrity' are very, very different words and it takes a while to become a celebrity from being a musician. It can be easier for pop singers that release commercial/accessible music that will do well and raise their profile enough for them to be seen as 'celebrities', but rock guitarists and most dance DJs are likely to be as far removed from the term as you could be.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Oct 2 2014, 09:24 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 01:39 AM