BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World without internet?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Oct 2 2014, 08:46 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

OKAY now avoiding the complications of businesses etc. crumbling and our economy turning sour if it happened..

How would you survive without the internet? What did we do 15 years ago when we had to dial-up to the internet? How did our parents survive?

I can barely do without wi-fi for a couple of days, I just don't honestly know how I would survive without the internet, shows how dependent we have all become of it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Oct 2 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #2
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

I'd die a slow and painful death tbh

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Oct 2 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #3
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I had no internet at home for about a week at the start of September, just 3G on my phone. Was an absolute nightmare sad.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 2 2014, 09:10 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

When we stayed on the Isle of Eigg in 2010 there was no internet. There was no phone signal or television signal either. I thought it would be awful but actually it was kinda nice to be totally away from it all for a week, it does help that the place is stunningly beautiful of course!

We've become so heavily dependent on the internet, I expect it would be incredibly difficult to adjust back to pre-internet ways of communicating etc.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 2 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #5
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Oct 2 2014, 10:10 PM) *
When we stayed on the Isle of Eigg in 2010 there was no internet. There was no phone signal or television signal either. I thought it would be awful but actually it was kinda nice to be totally away from it all for a week, it does help that the place is stunningly beautiful of course!

We've become so heavily dependent on the internet, I expect it would be incredibly difficult to adjust back to pre-internet ways of communicating etc.

When I was in the America there were times we were the same, but it was only temporary and we could just get drunk and play silly games. Plus like you say it is actually nice to get away from it. It's fine for a little while, but if it was a life choice now I think we all would struggle!

+Quote Post
all is vanity.
post Oct 2 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #6
I will leave my heart at the door.
Member No.: 1,454

I would hate it. I can't stand it when my connection drops for even a few hours.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Oct 2 2014, 10:03 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'll be positive and say it definitely gives you more motivation to do other things in your spare time. Though in pretty much every other way, it's essential and I'd definitely start missing it after a month or so, definitely not something I can live without completely.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Oct 2 2014, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Oct 2 2014, 10:54 PM
Post #8
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

I'd rather die.

+Quote Post
♡ Heezus Froot ♡
post Oct 3 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #9
a.k.a. Marina XCX
Member No.: 8,335

I read books half my spare time, so I think I'd do fairly okay. I'd listen to less music & watch less TV as I wouldn't be able to download/order online. But I wouldn't know what I'd be missing out on, so it'd be ok.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Oct 3 2014, 08:59 AM
Post #10
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

I spent my entire childhood without internet so I'll do fine as well~

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 3 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Conderella @ Oct 3 2014, 09:59 AM) *
I spent my entire childhood without internet so I'll do fine as well~

Whatever Pav. You'd have no fingers left without your daily dose of downloading hundreds of tv programmes.

+Quote Post
Envoirment
post Oct 3 2014, 04:09 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,030
   No Gallery Pics

I'd most probably become more productive, go out more, and even read more. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Oct 3 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #13
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I'm sure I would be quite content and happy and all after a few weeks of cold turkey. I've come to realise recently just HOW important t'internet is to me (mainly because even though I am now WORKING, I'm still online all day, oops). Like 90% of my friends I communicate with solely through the internet (for various reasons), I download close to 100% of the TV I watch, it's the only way I can find any music I like. It's just so all consuming in my life and I'm quite content with that.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 4 2014, 02:48 AM
Post #14
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

I've thought about this before in the context of college/uni, how we register for classes online, pay tuition online, etc. and your professor can email everyone if class is going to be cancelled for whatever reason, so people know not to show up. Can't even imagine being a student in the non-Internet days, everything was done so inefficiently!!

I do have two family gatherings/mini-vacations a year in which I willingly decide to not bring my computer, and since I don't have a smartphone it really is an Internet-free experience. Until one of the cousins who DID bring a computer finds a good video and has to show everyone, etc. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Riser: Oct 4 2014, 02:48 AM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Oct 4 2014, 07:58 AM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I was without internet for a few weeks when I moved. At first I was pissed off about it but then I just got used to doing other things again like when I was younger. As useful as it is, the internet can become a huge time waster.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Oct 4 2014, 09:54 AM
Post #16
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Riser @ Oct 4 2014, 03:48 AM) *
I've thought about this before in the context of college/uni, how we register for classes online, pay tuition online, etc. and your professor can email everyone if class is going to be cancelled for whatever reason, so people know not to show up. Can't even imagine being a student in the non-Internet days, everything was done so inefficiently!!

That is so true. I hope there was a slightly lighter workload or something because it also means no electronic books or journals, which are basically all I use unless I think a non-online book will be really useful. Competition for library books must have been fierce as hell.

I had a (mostly, wi-fi on smartphones at restaurants, but I'm not used to doing it that way and it was only a brief check-in) internet-free experience in Spain and when I wasn't sunning myself I mostly just drank more alcohol and read more of Game of Thrones than I might have done if I'd had the Internet to check up on during down time. Admittedly that was a holiday so it is different BUT it was so hard having a random thought about some piece of knowledge and not being able to type it into the search bar to have it confirmed. Amongst other things.

If there were ever a blackout I'd probably adjust after a while but my god would I miss it, time-waster though it may be, it is fun and it makes the serious bits of life that little bit more efficient so you waste less time on them.

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Oct 4 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #17
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i daren't think about it.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 4 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #18
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I freak out when I loose the Internet for a couple hours. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

I could not imagine living without it. It's indeed a luxury we all take for granted!

+Quote Post
Santa Mark
post Oct 4 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 6,928

Well we survived before it, so things we just go back to how it was back in the day...of course younger people might have a hard time adjusting
due to the fact they've always had the Internet but older people will find it easy.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Oct 6 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 3 2014, 08:08 PM) *
Whatever Pav. You'd have no fingers left without your daily dose of downloading hundreds of tv programmes.

Not recently. I might be downloading stuff but these eyes ain't watching anything sad.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 07:26 AM