BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Duke of Edinburgh/Hiking/Camping- Yay or Nay?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Yay or Nay
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 6 2014, 10:11 PM
Post #1
#TeamKrustyKrab
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

After completing my Duke Of Edinburgh Silver award earlier in the year I was wondering how you guys felt about it (those who have done it. Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.)

It was a nice time to spend time with my mates and I loved the camping bit where we cooked and pitche d up our tents like our own little campout. wub.gif But then I hated the walking part after the first day, bags rubbed against my shoulders and all of our feet were sore as hell! Not to mention I never camped before and ended up taking an inflatable air bed with me which got confiscated tongue.gif My year never let me live it down laugh.gif Overall I liked it but when I got home I just went into binge mode and gained 5kg that took me all of summer to get back down (not sure if that's normal).

How do ya'll feel about the outdoors and nature hikes?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LexC
post Nov 6 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #2
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

The idea of the Duke of Edinburgh award makes me feel nautious. NAY.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Nov 6 2014, 10:36 PM
Post #3
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I have my gold award biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Nov 6 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #4
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 126

I have no idea who the Duke of Edinburgh is, is it an expression or just an award?

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Nov 6 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #5
#TeamKrustyKrab
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Simon. @ Nov 6 2014, 10:45 PM) *
I have no idea who the Duke of Edinburgh is, is it an expression or just an award?

It's an award programme where you have to fulfill three categories and develop your skills in each one over a certain period of time:
-Volunteering
-Physical (e.g Rugby, football)
-Skills (e.g. Piano)

Alongside this you do an expedition into woodlands where you camp and hike your way round with a group of 4/5 with only a map and compass etc. The duration of the expedition depends on which award you are doing (with the lowest being bronze and the highest being a gold) and only after completing everything you get the award.

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Nov 6 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #6
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I did the bronze, silver and gold expeditions and loved ittt.
Didn't actually complete the gold though because I left it too late to do the volunteering while at school and didn't fancy doing it at uni!

The hiking part is a bit of a pain (even if that's the main bit, haha), but we all just had a laugh when we did it, nothing worse than taking it too seriously. I remember on the silver one we made sure the penultimate day was a long hike so that our last day was hardly anything. Meant we could just chill out hanging with the cows for a while magic.gif

Glad I didn't ever do ten tors though, that seemed like D of E but without the fun.

This post has been edited by Cremey_SZN: Nov 6 2014, 11:06 PM

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Nov 7 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #7
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I've never done that, but i love the outdoors.

i've only been camping twice, first time in a tiny tent, but it was fun, middle of july and very very cold. the second time we had a bigger tent which was great, but the ground was very uneven where we stayed, so lying down in my sleeping bag meant that i would wake up on the other side of the tent laugh.gif it was also very hilly on the site where we were staying so in order to go to the toilet block, you'd have to walk up a big hill to get back to the tent, which felt like a lot of hard work when all i wanted to do was have a wee unsure.gif laugh.gif it also rained a lot that weekend, but that didn't bother me so much as i love the rain wub.gif it was cleaning the tent from all the mud when i got home that bothered me laugh.gif

i love walking, but don't do it enough. i gotta get my ass in gear now though, as i am walking up ben nevis next september. huge challenge for me as i've never done anything like that before, but i'm really excited for it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Nov 7 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #8
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I only did the Bronze expedition. If I were making the choice now I'd probably choose to do Silver too to be honest as my friends seemed to have fun doing it and Bronze wasn't bad at all. The main thing that put me off was all the extra activities as my Bronze 'volunteering' was just a load of gardening (on school property as well) as far as I remember (:/) and even despite that, being a teenager I wasn't too keen on actually doing things.

I enjoyed the team aspect of the expedition a lot though, although it did ache a lot by the end. Camping I'm not hugely keen on but thankfully the weather during my expedition was lovely and it was just a bit of a nice laugh. As my whole year did it at the same time there was a lot of coming across other groups, walking together for a while (even stopping off at someone's house once for 10 minutes), really helped increase the team spirit of it all.

For any outdoors expeditions these days it has to be in good weather and with good company otherwise it's very much not worth it. That's my philosophy at least.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 12:19 PM